ADVERTISEMENT

PA HS Wrestling thread

Clearfield has not always been a AA school. In the 70s and 80s Clearfield was a fairly large rural school district. Not exactly sure of population numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if Clearfield's k-12 2022 population is half of 1980's.
I started watching wrestling in 1979-80. Altoona Fieldhouse was district 6 championships and regional championships every year. Clearfield was always wrestling AAA. Every guy on their team looked like a clone....tall and thin and GOOD for their weight class. I used to always show up late because I knew that in the far left corner of the Fieldhouse there would always be a few open seats in the packed gym. That is where the Philipsburg Oceola fans sat :). To say they were passionate would be way understated. My ears hurt and the bench would shake like crazy with the foot-stomping when their guys won.....and they won a lot. The thing I remember was that....if your eyes were closed.....it was hard to tell the difference in volume and vibration between when their guy won...or a kid from Bald Eagle lost :). Don't know the back-story but there was a huge difference between when a kid from Clearfield, Altoona, State College or such lost compared to when a kid from Bald Eagle Area lost. I also remember a kid named Eric Brugel. He dominated every match I saw him wrestle. I couldn't imagine him ever losing. Then he went to college :) Good memories
PS: In those years Altoona was by far the largest school. Hollidaysburg was AAA in wrestling. State college was a bit larger that Hollidaysburg but far smaller than Altoona. Times have certainly changed. I think Altoona's graduating class was about 750-800 then while Hollidaysburg was about 375 and State College was about 475. State College has at least doubled while Hollidaysburg has dropped by about 100+. I think Altoona may have dropped by 100 or so...not certain on them.....but definitely changes all around

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU Yinzer
I started watching wrestling in 1979-80. Altoona Fieldhouse was district 6 championships and regional championships every year. Clearfield was always wrestling AAA. Every guy on their team looked like a clone....tall and thin and GOOD for their weight class. I used to always show up late because I knew that in the far left corner of the Fieldhouse there would always be a few open seats in the packed gym. That is where the Philipsburg Oceola fans sat :). To say they were passionate would be way understated. My ears hurt and the bench would shake like crazy with the foot-stomping when their guys won.....and they won a lot. The thing I remember was that....if your eyes were closed.....it was hard to tell the difference in volume and vibration between when their guy won...or a kid from Bald Eagle lost :). Don't know the back-story but there was a huge difference between when a kid from Clearfield, Altoona, State College or such lost compared to when a kid from Bald Eagle Area lost. I also remember a kid named Eric Brugel. He dominated every match I saw him wrestle. I couldn't imagine him ever losing. Then he went to college :) Good memories
PS: In those years Altoona was by far the largest school. Hollidaysburg was AAA in wrestling. State college was a bit larger that Hollidaysburg but far smaller than Altoona. Times have certainly changed. I think Altoona's graduating class was about 750-800 then while Hollidaysburg was about 375 and State College was about 475. State College has at least doubled while Hollidaysburg has dropped by about 100+. I think Altoona may have dropped by 100 or so...not certain on them.....but definitely changes all around
Starting in 1979 PO and BEA spent a couple decades fighting for district 6 supremacy and the rivalry was intense, sometimes crazy and always fun.

A
As an Altoona wrestler who got booed in the District 6 finals, I can attest to this continuing through the 80’s.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Benton defeats Faith Christian 36-30 in the PIAA opening round of team duals.
Homegrown baby! Did you hear those Faith academy people running their mouths. Keep recruiting.

There is nothing more I like to see than the same names & generations year after year. Faith Academy is a charter school made up of all of D12 & 1. Do they even attend school there

Homegrown baby! Did you hear those Faith academy people running their mouths. Keep recruiting.

There is nothing more I like to see than the same names & generations year after year. Faith Academy is a charter school made up of all of D12 & 1. Do they even attend school there
Whooo, close one. Very happy for Caden Temple. Very solid kid that beats everyone he is supposed to. He just never seemed to jump levels and take out the higher ranked kids. Faith played with thier line up and put thier state ranked 132 up at 138 and Temple stuck him. Was worried about this one.

Other than Lear and a forfeit at 106 all of Benton's ranked kids got beat. The rest of the team wrestled lights out and most put 6's on the board.
Those no name kids per say are the difference makers in those types of duals

Did you see Bishop McDevitts lineup. It’s all transfers. From 145 up they are solid

Benton has a good chance vs Brookville because they are homegrown too.
Put all the charter, Co-op and transfer happy schools on a side: NDGP, Ridge, McDevitt, Faith Academy, Hickory, Forest Hills, Reynolds, Montgomery
Then the 100% homegrown ones. To me that would be the best. But honestly there would only be a few.

Reactions: hlstone
Did you see Bishop McDevitts lineup. It’s all transfers. From 145 up they are solid

Benton has a good chance vs Brookville because they are homegrown too.
Put all the charter, Co-op and transfer happy schools on a side: NDGP, Ridge, McDevitt, Faith Academy, Hickory, Forest Hills, Reynolds, Montgomery
Then the 100% homegrown ones. To me that would be the best. But honestly there would only be a few.
Forest Hills? Ridge?

No, I was questioning him categorizing the two schools as being recruiting schools a/o co ops. I’m under the impression that they both are almost entirely home grown and have historically been so.
They have both been for years and I always thought of them as home grown too.
I heard Chestnut co-ops with Hyndman & maybe Somerset. The Maul kid and Moore brothers are from Hyndman. Then ForestHills has a ridgeway kid. Flinn was from the ridgeway area and heard the Forcelini kid doesn’t even live in their district.

Holy cow how about Hickory wrestling Gill at 120. What the heck were they thinking

Reactions: johnstownsteel
looking closer at the lineups, Benton & Brookville honestly could be the only 100% homegrown teams in AA and AAA

They have both been for years and I always thought of them as home grown too.
I heard Chestnut co-ops with Hyndman & maybe Somerset. The Maul kid and Moore brothers are from Hyndman. Then ForestHills has a ridgeway kid. Flinn was from the ridgeway area and heard the Forcelini kid doesn’t even live in their district.

Holy cow how about Hickory wrestling Gill at 120. What the heck were they thinking
Hyndman doesn't have a public school let alone a wrestling team anymore. It doesn't make sense to have kids from Hyndman go to Ridge. You drive a block from Bedford school to get there.

Why would people drive clear from Somerset to Ridge. Somerset still has a wrestling team too.

And no way is a kid living in Ridgeway wrestling at Forest Hills. They aren't even remotely close.

At this point you're just making shit up.

Hyndman doesn't have a public school let alone a wrestling team anymore. It doesn't make sense to have kids from Hyndman go to Ridge. You drive a block from Bedford school to get there.

Why would people drive clear from Somerset to Ridge. Somerset still has a wrestling team too.

And no way is a kid living in Ridgeway wrestling at Forest Hills. They aren't even remotely close.

Ok- You might be right. I heard the Moore twins and Maul is from Hyndman. I assumed they co-op’d

The Ridgeway kid moved there, I said I heard the other kid drives in.

looking closer at the lineups, Benton & Brookville honestly could be the only 100% homegrown teams in AA and AAA
To the extent 100% matters or is even reasonable -- no parents relocate for new jobs?

Wlliamsport? Gettysburg? Montgomery? Mifflin County? Tyrone? Canton? West Perry? Dallastown? Spring Ford? Abington Heights? Etc.

Seems like painting with a very broad brush.

A buddy and former hs teammate of mine is a coach at Ridge. Pretty sure I recall a discussion with him last year about this subject and that Ridge is primarily a homegrown squad.

Last edited:
From the District 10 stand point, General McLane and Corry are 100% homegrown teams. I know because I either coached them or coached against them

Reactions: hlstone
Well this is Refreshing to hear. Sad part is homegrown stands no chance against these mega teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT