ADVERTISEMENT

Pat McAfee owns up.

Yes, no problem with him hyping and pushing his Alma mater prior to the game, adds excitement and interest.
Other than Herbie though...he's bashed here constantly for hyping up Ohio State even though he's completely joking when he does so.

They're all good for the sport. People just ignore this because
1 they think it benefits us even though neither poll moved us a spot after beating a bad team
2 because WVU is irrelevant

Gotta be consistent

Depends on what you mean by irrelevant. Outside the top 20? WVa won 9 games last year and has a lot of players back. It wasn't nearly as impressive as USC's win over LSU but it was certainly a more impressive win than any other BiG team in week 1. It was a solid win over a better than average team.
Their 8 wins were smoke and mirrors against bad teams. They aren't better than average. They're a mid tier Big XII team with a below average QB.

We were impressive because of how we played but they're not a good team.

Weak 1 had a lot of weak games so we'll see how the rest of the non conference slate goes but remember we're not just competiting with Big Ten teams for a spot. Georgia and ND have big wins out of conference (ND is basically ACC) that we can't equal.

Their 8 wins were smoke and mirrors against bad teams. They aren't better than average. They're a mid tier Big XII team with a below average QB.

Weak 1 had a lot of weak games so we'll see how the rest of the non conference slate goes but remember we're not just competiting with Big Ten teams for a spot. Georgia and ND have big wins out of conference (ND is basically ACC) that we can't equal.
Man your like a broken record can’t you talk about anything g else. Same ****ing shit every thread

He should play up his school, I never see his show unless I'm off that day-I assume he picked us to lose. Did you notice Greg M. from the espn's had Penn State, Arizona State, and Georgia all on upset alert. Not a good week for him, we win 34-12, ASU hammers Wyoming 48-7, and the Georga Clemson game was never in doubt 34-3.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
He should play up his school, I never see his show unless I'm off that day-I assume he picked us to lose. Did you notice Greg M. from the espn's had Penn State, Arizona State, and Georgia all on upset alert. Not a good week for him, we win 34-12, ASU hammers Wyoming 48-7, and the Georga Clemson game was never in doubt 34-3.
McElroy's seriously one of the worst--I don't know if he's does it just so he gets attention or he's completely clueless

Other than Herbie though...he's bashed here constantly for hyping up Ohio State even though he's completely joking when he does so.

They're all good for the sport. People just ignore this because
1 they think it benefits us even though neither poll moved us a spot after beating a bad team
2 because WVU is irrelevant

Gotta be consistent

Herbie isn't joking. Just because he favors OSU doesn't mean it isn't warranted.

I disagree, to some extent, about these guys being good for the sport. Good for the gambling apps? Sure.

When 2 of the 3 most successful coaches of the past generation go out on live TV (on 2 separate networks) and predict WVU to win Saturday without doing the theatrics of a Lee Corso, I begin to question what the hell they were watching, hearing, reading, etc.

The entire point of having Saban and Meyer on air is for that "recently coached at this level deep perspective". Meyer cited WVU without straining a muscle. No explanation given. No "I think Greene has a career day and the home field is too much to overcome", no nothing. Somebody wrote Saban essentially said "they sing Country Roads, so I'll pick them". I didn't see it but good grief if true.

Reactions: PSU4U
Herbie isn't joking. Just because he favors OSU doesn't mean it isn't warranted.

I disagree, to some extent, about these guys being good for the sport. Good for the gambling apps? Sure.

When 2 of the 3 most successful coaches of the past generation go out on live TV (on 2 separate networks) and predict WVU to win Saturday without doing the theatrics of a Lee Corso, I begin to question what the hell they were watching, hearing, reading, etc.

The entire point of having Saban and Meyer on air is for that "recently coached at this level deep perspective". Meyer cited WVU without straining a muscle. No explanation given. No "I think Greene has a career day and the home field is too much to overcome", no nothing. Somebody wrote Saban essentially said "they sing Country Roads, so I'll pick them". I didn't see it but good grief if true.
Herbie's joking sometimes--like when he stormed off the set--it was all him playing his role. He wasn't joking when he said they should have got in over us despite us beating them--he was serious and right that time

And yes. Saban wasn't really picking WVU to win--he even said "I was going to pick Penn State but we sang "Take Me Home"--it was just him trying to be part of the crowd. I didn't see Meyer's prediction but he's reaching Greg McElroy level of insanity.

Meyer and Saban should be providing insight and it's a shame they aren't taking it more seriously. ESPN should bring Pollack back--he tried.

You wonder what the heck are they getting paid for. The game could have been close but to outright pick WVU seems like a big reach. Meyer said he started watching tape on WVU 2 weeks ago. So? And that made him think they were better than us? What evidence? Just look at our talent advantage. Obvious. Again not saying the game did not have the potential to be close but when you need to make a pick, you have to see PSU should win. These guys know football talent. Just strange.

You wonder what the heck are they getting paid for. The game could have been close but to outright pick WVU seems like a big reach. Meyer said he started watching tape on WVU 2 weeks ago. So? And that made him think they were better than us? What evidence? Just look at our talent advantage. Obvious. Again not saying the game did not have the potential to be close but when you need to make a pick, you have to see PSU should win. These guys know football talent. Just strange.
I think it is all scripted.

I think it is all scripted.
Could be but it is not unusual for everyone on that set to pick one team. You think Meyer will pick us vs OSU? That is a 50 50 game essentially but nope he won't. Yet an 80 20 game he picks against us.

Reactions: Obliviax

All really irrelevant, it should come down to can we beat either beat USC away or Ohio State at home. We could be on the bubble with two losses.

You have to earn respect. Beating WVU, while better than beating Bowling Green, is not the same as beating Ohio State or Michigan.

All really irrelevant, it should come down to can we beat either beat USC away or Ohio State at home. We could be on the bubble with two losses.
2 losses and we're in IMO. It wouldn't even be a discussion but if we can't beat USC or Ohio State there's no reason to belive making the playoff matters.

Just my .02, but I think McAfee's act has gotten stale.

Yeah, he gets to cuss, show off his muscles, and scream and shout with his posse and his guests. Then he runs a virtual pep rally for WVU prior to the PSU game. I'm not tuning in for more of him, but DirecTV and ESPN's squabble doesn't give me that choice currently anyway.

Reactions: Obliviax
In Saban’s defense, he grew up about 25 miles from Morgantown. Maybe “country roads” was the only positive thing he could say to support his choice of picking his home school.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Just my .02, but I think McAfee's act has gotten stale.

Yeah, he gets to cuss, show off his muscles, and scream and shout with his posse and his guests. Then he runs a virtual pep rally for WVU prior to the PSU game. I'm not tuning in for more of him, but DirecTV and ESPN's squabble doesn't give me that choice currently anyway.
We aren't who ESPN is attracting with McAfee--unless you're in your teens or early 20s

All that stuff is just a show, and a pretty crappy show if you ask me, but opinions vary.

I love watching actual football. But 98% of the crap they put around it I can do without. And for that matter, I can do without about 50% of the crap they foist on us during the game broadcasdt that is unrelated to game action.

One repeated thing they do that drives me crazy is an interesting play will happen and they'll go to an obviously pre-canned bit instead of showing us the interesting play again and analyzing it. They don't even have the flexibility to say "After the next non-interesting play we'll do our pre-canned it" and instead say "After the next play, interesting or not, we'll do our pre-canned bit."

We aren't who ESPN is attracting with McAfee--unless you're in your teens or early 20s
Exactly. Apparently some young people like that stuff. I don't understand why, especially in the age of the Internet when there are a jillion other interesting things to see and do.

Reactions: LandoComando

Weak 1 had a lot of weak games so we'll see how the rest of the non conference slate goes but remember we're not just competiting with Big Ten teams for a spot. Georgia and ND have big wins out of conference (ND is basically ACC) that we can't e
I will take the win

Well, whatever.

It's not strictly an age thing -- Adam Breneman and Landon Tangwell are two excellent and entertaining young commentators.
McAfee isn't young--he's targeting young people
Breneman honestly hasn't done it long enough to evaluate him but I'm looking forward to seeing him more

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't getting paid to juice the lines on questionable games as far as the general public goes.

Or simply "entertainment".
Entertainment for sure.... People laying serious coin on the outcome of these games deserve to lose it all if their only input is what these clowns think!

You have to earn respect. Beating WVU, while better than beating Bowling Green, is not the same as beating Ohio State or Michigan.
Doesn't explain giving that respect to WVU does it? What is their best win in the last 5 years?

Entertainment for sure.... People laying serious coin on the outcome of these games deserve to lose it all if their only input is what these clowns think!

And that is what they count on. Every show has its best bets at some point in time, particularly if they are sponsored by a gambling company.

Everything is done to generate buzz, period. There's literally no other reason than to create buzz. It all translates to money. If there was money to be made by pumping up Penn State, they'd already be doing it. There's not, so they don't. The End.

Reactions: BBHorn86

Let's see where Clemson lands by the end of the season. They are in a weak conference so no better an Big 12 and not sure Klubnik is any better than Greene. Most likely irrelevant because Georgia will probably be undefeated so we won't be competing against them for a playoff spot.

Biggest plus? WVa has an elite caliber OL coach. To hold them under 100 yds rushing is very rare. You have to wonder why teams don't p9ach this gu6

Both root against PS every day it really is that simple. Neither played by the rules. Saban went to the SEC partly because his boosters were allowed to get away with cheating. Just when NIL evened the playing field in the SEC he turned and ran out the door like a little boy who had his dog taken from him.

Doesn't explain giving that respect to WVU does it? What is their best win in the last 5 years?

And that is what they count on. Every show has its best bets at some point in time, particularly if they are sponsored by a gambling company.
“Doesn't explain giving that respect to WVU does it? What is their best win in the last 5 years?”

I am concerned with PSU, not WVU.

Depends on what you mean by irrelevant. Outside the top 20? WVa won 9 games last year and has a lot of players back. It wasn't nearly as impressive as USC's win over LSU but it was certainly a more impressive win than any other BiG team in week 1. It was a solid win over a better than average team.
You went and did it - it's not like poking the bear more like waking the Village Idiot with Lando and WVU - don't ya know WVU couldn't beat the local Powder Puff Team - they are terrible and the QB shouldn't even be on the field running a flag football team. Rinse wash and repeat ad nauseam.

You went and did it - it's not like poking the bear more like waking the Village Idiot with Lando and WVU - don't ya know WVU couldn't beat the local Powder Puff Team - they are terrible and the QB shouldn't even be on the field running a flag football team. Rinse wash and repeat ad nauseam.
Did you watch their QB on Saturday? Or last year? Or ever? Do you even know his name?
Sorry I was right--I know that's tough for you--the true resident "idiot"

In Saban’s defense, he grew up about 25 miles from Morgantown. Maybe “country roads” was the only positive thing he could say to support his choice of picking his home school.
Excellent point that I didn’t know. Probably still had relatives in the area. Needed to pick WVU or skip the next family reunion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT