ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State -19 vs Pitt?

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
That's the early line in Vegas according a thread on the Pantherlair. Sounds about right.

Its always dangerous to anticipate a blowout. I recall a thread here last year where Lion faithful made predictions of the evisceration of Pitt at Clemson. How'd that work out? Pitt has some challenges no doubt. A key OL recovering from surgery and one starter who may not even be on campus after a brush up with the law. A QB and a TE with 5 star promise, but no resume of college success and a new OC. PSU needs to treat this game as a tune up for the conference schedule, get away with a win and minimize potential injuries.
The Lions have bigger fish to fry than Pitt. Win and advance.

Its always dangerous to anticipate a blowout. I recall a thread here last year where Lion faithful made predictions of the evisceration of Pitt at Clemson. How'd that work out? Pitt has some challenges no doubt. A key OL recovering from surgery and one starter who may not even be on campus after a brush up with the law. A QB and a TE with 5 star promise, but no resume of college success and a new OC. PSU needs to treat this game as a tune up for the conference schedule, get away with a win and minimize potential injuries.
The Lions have bigger fish to fry than Pitt. Win and advance.
Clemson's injuries killed them. See best Offense/OL thread below.

Reactions: jimmcfurdy
-19 is a good spot for us to be in, as well as the early -14 line against Michigan. 19 is a hell of a lot of points. With both teams coming into the game 1-0, and Pitt potentially ranked 20-25th, look for the masses to wager their money on Pitt

The good news for us: as we all know, Vegas doesn't lose.

I figured about 17. They have some questions with OL health and possible suspension in addition to losing 2 guys to the NFL. They had 5 players drafted and lost many to graduation, and they haven't recruited at a reload level. The game is at Beaver stadium against an experienced team. I really don't see this year's game being competitive. The game isn't played on paper but being a huge favorite is expected especially in game 2.

Reactions: humpydudas19
-19 is a good spot for us to be in, as well as the early -14 line against Michigan. 19 is a hell of a lot of points. With both teams coming into the game 1-0, and Pitt potentially ranked 20-25th, look for the masses to wager their money on Pitt

Pitt isn't going to be ranked anywhere near 20-25 in the second week of the season.

Hail to Pedsburgh!

Pitt isn't going to be ranked anywhere near 20-25 in the second week of the season.

Idk. Maybe you're right. I've seen some pre-season polls (the same ones that have us in the top 10) where Pitt is ranked right around there.

That said, their season opener against YSU could have potential to be interesting. I won't pretend to know a lot about Youngstown State, but, they are the National FBS runner-up and I'm pretty sure I've read that they'll be returning the vast majority of their starters.

Idk. Maybe you're right. I've seen some pre-season polls (the same ones that have us in the top 10) where Pitt is ranked right around there.

That said, their season opener against YSU could have potential to be interesting. I won't pretend to know a lot about Youngstown State, but, they are the National FBS runner-up and I'm pretty sure I've read that they'll be returning the vast majority of their starters.

Hail to Pedsburgh!

Pitt ended the season unranked and they lost a bunch of talent and their offensive coordinator. Based on that I'm not sure why any pollsters would consider ranking them preseason.

Pitt ended the season unranked and they lost a bunch of talent and their offensive coordinator. Based on that I'm not sure why any pollsters would consider ranking them preseason.

I don't necessarily disagree. Here's just one example I found real quick.

Sporting News
24. Pittsburgh Panthers
Pittsburgh had an up-and-down season in 2016, but keep in mind they beat Penn State and Clemson. Pat Narduzzi’s third season should bring better results, and the addition of USC transfer Max Browne at quarterback is exciting. The Panthers must be more consistent to stay on here.

I think the line is right for the first quarter. The actual game line should be about -35 unless Franklin puts in the fourth string in the second quarter and has them run each play into the line.
I think I know who ^^^^ is the early favorite to be wailing that "Franklin is an idiot" when the score is 10-7 in the second quarter

:)

If there's a significant line drop, it will most likely be a result of the public betting on Pitt.

I don't expect this game to be close. If I'm wrong, so be it.

If there's a significant line drop, it will most likely be a result of the public betting on Pitt.

I don't expect this game to be close. If I'm wrong, so be it.

Huh? Or maybe, "Ummmm, yea!". The last sentence especially so....

Hail to Pedsburgh!

I don't necessarily disagree. Here's just one example I found real quick.

Sporting News
24. Pittsburgh Panthers
Pittsburgh had an up-and-down season in 2016, but keep in mind they beat Penn State and Clemson. Pat Narduzzi’s third season should bring better results, and the addition of USC transfer Max Browne at quarterback is exciting. The Panthers must be more consistent to stay on here.

Here's the Sporting News composite rankings. They aren't ranked in the Top 25 in 5 out of the 6 polls.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...bama-cbs-fox-athlon/z1j4kljthlt61jkudaucxazqc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT