ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Penn State big man Demetrius Lilley enters Transfer Portal

I guess his great work in the last part of the season sitting on a chair in street clothes increased his own self-worth. What a joke this all has become.
I'd say it's BS to point the finger at any of the guys that are leaving.

I'd say it's BS to point the finger at any of the guys that are leaving.
I think that we're almost at the point where most sane people simply aren't going to want to coach big time college football and basketball anymore because this whole scene, in which almost the whole roster opts for free agency after every season just because, has become unmanageable and has to be turning the vast majority of fans away.

We're definitely going to see many more Harbaughs, Sabans and Jay Wrights, who are coaches of National Champion caliber programs who either retire when they have more to give or go to the NFL or NBA.

Last edited:
I wonder if Puff and Ace will return. I think they both have another year left.

I think that we're almost at the point where most sane people simply aren't going to want to coach big time college football and basketball anymore because this whole scene, in which almost the whole roster opts for free agency after every season just because, has become unmanageable and has to be turning the vast majority of fans away.
A coach processes several members of his team, but somehow it's the coach that's in a tough position? Seems like a great time to coach, as in the past, you had to live with past decisions a lot longer.

A coach processes several members of his team, but somehow it's the coach that's in a tough position? Seems like a great time to coach, as in the past, you had to live with past decisions a lot longer.
So it's a great time to coach when you basically have to cobble together a whole team after every season. That's crazy.

The only good thing regarding the PSU situation is that the ones who are leaving now played on an under .500 team, so hopefully the replacements are better. However, after next season, most of the replacements will have to be replaced.

Reactions: Yanks49
So it's a great time to coach when you basically have to cobble together a whole team after every season. That's crazy.

The only good thing regarding the PSU situation is that the ones who are leaving now played on an under .500 team, so hopefully the replacements are better. However, after next season, most of the replacements will have to be replaced.
It's a great time to rebuild a program. Ed/Pat needed to bring in transfers that sat out a year, had a much smaller pool of xfers to pull from, etc. Micah and Mike have both shown us (as have several other coaches throughout the country) that you can pretty quickly turn things around at this point. And if you make some mistakes, process those guys to free up more ships.

Reactions: psu1969a
It's a great time to rebuild a program. Ed/Pat needed to bring in transfers that sat out a year, had a much smaller pool of xfers to pull from, etc. Micah and Mike have both shown us (as have several other coaches throughout the country) that you can pretty quickly turn things around at this point. And if you make some mistakes, process those guys to free up more ships.
There's no way that you can build a program worth anything when you have to rebuild a roster almost totally after every season, especially when you're dealing with a program that doesn't have much cache; there just isn't. Also, if you're relying on a coach bringing in six or seven portal players a season if not more, you have to accept that these players are going to have very little terminal loyalty and will have little hesitation in bolting.

Last edited:
There's no way that you can build a program worth anything when you have to rebuild a roster almost totally after every season, especially when you're dealing with a program that doesn't have much cache; there just isn't. Also, if you're relying on a coach bringing in six or seven portal players a season if not more, you have to accept that these players are going to have very little terminal loyalty and will have little hesitation in bolting.
I think the point is, the decision for these 3 may not have been their own.

It will be like starting over again for Coach Rhoades and his staff. As someone mentioned you can't build consistency with a swinging door.

Definitely! Clarey was a “me” player, Iceman is not a D1 player, and not sure Lilly is either. Coach is just creating space on the roster for another freshman and a couple of portals. I’d be shocked if Ace or Johnson bolt.

Reactions: psu1969a
Do you believe Rhoades is processing Lilley? I have a hard time believing that as Lilley seemed to play pretty well this past season considering what he looked like the previous season. And also the fact that the roster is void of actual big men that can line up and rebound with the better teams on the schedule. If he does leave I'm hoping I am surprised by 2 or 3 incoming Bigs that can actually play B10 level BB.....

Do you believe Rhoades is processing Lilley? I have a hard time believing that as Lilley seemed to play pretty well this past season considering what he looked like the previous season. And also the fact that the roster is void of actual big men that can line up and rebound with the better teams on the schedule. If he does leave I'm hoping I am surprised by 2 or 3 incoming Bigs that can actually play B10 level BB.....
There are concerns about his back, we have a 5 coming in this year, and we really need another 5 to come in and make an immediate impact. I have no idea how the conversation went, but I’d certainly guess that he was encouraged to move along.

IIRC we already had 3 openings assuming both Ace & Puff return. I don't think we needed a 4th. Lilley impressed me in limited action before he got hurt. I think he could have earned a lot more PT next year.
This makes 3 openings (if Ace does come back).

Correction: the ones who are leaving RARELY played on an under .500 team. Lilley, because of frequent injuries. The other 2 because it was obvious that they had no chance for real PT. Rhoades has this.

Reactions: mmuncci
IIRC we already had 3 openings assuming both Ace & Puff return. I don't think we needed a 4th. Lilley impressed me in limited action before he got hurt. I think he could have earned a lot more PT next year.
Yep

It may be easier to list who is NOT in the portal. Just a thought.
Not yet. Only 3 guys have really left, as the 4th was Kanye who wasn't coming back either way. Hate to see him go to another big ten school. The others won't matter as they aren't guys that will make an impact any where they go.

There are concerns about his back, we have a 5 coming in this year, and we really need another 5 to come in and make an immediate impact. I have no idea how the conversation went, but I’d certainly guess that he was encouraged to move along.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was encouraged, but Meech is definitely a solid back up post player. I don't think he would have had much more of an impact next year as Miles Goodman seems to looked upon as someone who will step into significant playing time next year.

I think you hit it with the words before he got hurt. He was hurt last year, and to begin this year, then again at the end of the year. I don't think he would have gotten more playing time if Rhoades brings in a solid post player, and I think Goodman gets a lot of time on the court.

With today's free agency you can easily rebuild a program each year, as long as you can keep a good core group together. We lost Aire and Lilley, and just 3 days into free agency there are already better players in the pool, guys like

Clifford Omoruyi, from Rutgers. What a catch he would be.

Definitely! Clarey was a “me” player, Iceman is not a D1 player, and not sure Lilly is either. Coach is just creating space on the roster for another freshman and a couple of portals. I’d be shocked if Ace or Johnson bolt.
There is the real point. He needs to bring back Ace, Johnson, Dunn, Hicks and Kern. Wouldn't mind seeing Brown return also. That core of players, then add a solid post player or two from free agency, and the top recruiting class coming in and you have what could be a tournament team.

Reactions: GregInPitt
LMAOROFL T-E-A-M

Yes, there are currently multi-million$ of reasons to get into coaching these days.

Does it really matter? They’re 5 years away from being 5 years away.
If they can keep bringing in guys like they did this past season and hold on to some of them I think they’ll be successful. Look at Calipari openly questioning the viability of trying to build a program relying on freshmen and sophomores.

Does it really matter? They’re 5 years away from being 5 years away.
They are much closer than that. If he can keep the rest of the team together, he has a you 25 class coming in, and now 4 spots to fill. If he fills half as good as he did this year they could be a bubble team next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT