ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State "remains resolute" that discrimination is important

heckmans

Feb 13, 2006
SCOTUS: judging people based on their immutable characteristics is obvious wrong

Penn State: we must judge people based on their "racial or ethnic, financial, geographic, or cultural" identities because certain groups are incapable of attending Penn State based on merit. We must water down the academic standing of the university to enhance "the educational experience."

Absolute insanity

SCOTUS: judging people based on their immutable characteristics is obvious wrong

Penn State: we must judge people based on their "racial or ethnic, financial, geographic, or cultural" identities because certain groups are incapable of attending Penn State based on merit. We must water down the academic standing of the university to enhance "the educational experience."

Absolute insanity

These Universities are a disgrace anymore. Plain and simple. Have your kids learn a trade.

I've got no problem with what was written by PSU. I agree diversity is positive. However, if "diversity" is a code word for some other team, I disagree.

In this case, race was used to determine who would get in and who wouldn't. this was true of 1963 and 2023. They were just discriminating against different races.

Here's something you don't see reported very much. It goes in line with the diversity and the equal outcomes.

I remember when the admissions were altered in the '60s. There were more blacks on campus, but they didn't alter the grades, which they are apparently doing now. Altering grades ends up cheapening a diploma for everyone.

These Universities are a disgrace anymore. Plain and simple. Have your kids learn a trade.
I wish that PSU's sports teams were not affiliated with this university because the university itself has devolved into a cesspool like so many other of these universities. Perhaps PSU should realize what's its mission is and stop trying to be the Berkley of the Northeast.

By the way, other than the "prestige" of receiving a college diploma, many people who choose to throw away hundreds of thousands of dollars and four or more years of the prime of their lives by attending these leftist indoctrination camps would be better both financially and mentally by learning a trade and becoming a productive member of society by doing something that people really need rather than musing about the spheres.

In the end, everything is dictated by money, so my recommendation is to stop donating to places like PSU if you don't like the direction of it. If these places begin to crater financially, like they are beginning to do, then maybe they'll eliminate a lot of the garbage. By the way, there was an article in the Pittsburgh Tribune Review earlier this week about how the enrollments of the branch campuses of both PSU and Pitt have decreased dramatically in the past decade, which is a shame because I believe that they probably actually try to serve the true mission of these places more than the main campuses.

Last edited:
So the university wants diversity plus wants to help minorities. Good on them. But discriminating against others to achieve that goal is wrong.

Here is how they could get their beloved diversity while helping minorities; pick out the five worst performing high schools in the state. Send teachers and counselors there to improve the schools. At the same time, promise tuition free college for four years to any student that achieves the academic standard to enroll.

Motivate and help but don’t discriminate. Imagine the results if every university adopted just one poor performing high school

Last edited:
Do the university wants diversity plus wants to help minorities. Good on them. But discriminating against others to achieve that goal is wrong.

Here is how they could get their beloved diversity while helping minorities; pick out the five worst performing high schools in the state. Send teachers and counselors there to improve the schools. At the same time, promise tuition free college for four years to any student that achieves the academic standard to enroll.

Motivate and help but don’t discriminate. Imagine the results if every university adopted just one poor performing high school
You're right. It must start at the lowest level of education. I've heard that no kid in 13 Baltimore City schools is proficient in English or something like that; considering all of the money that is poured into these inner city schools, that's totally unacceptable and absurd.

Instead of focusing on turning boys into girls and vice versa, maybe the despicable people who run this country should focus on why so many of our youth today are so behind students in other countries in the sciences, etc. This is just a microcosm of the rapid decline of this country.

The Stupor Court just said minorities are good enough to be given preference to man our militaries and die for our country, or live and suffer from alcoholism and/or PTSD, as did many officers when I was an enlisted man.

But minorities and those that come from impoverished sectors of our society are not to be given preference for participating and benefitting from inclusion in our most elitist academic institutions.

Now, as I see it, the cure to all this is that no one should be denied access to either and all types of institutions as referenced above, or otherwise. If you succeed, you contribute to and benefit from those institutions and society at large. If not, you try something else. But hey, that would mean true open competition in the class room instead of completion between those which mommy and daddy buy all the advantages to get them in now and those that are put in because they are a particular type of minority.

Right now the dropout rate in the 1st and 2nd year of both anointed groups is high. Time to try something different from the Tweedledum and Tweedledee approach.

If you find PSU's statement on this topic offensive then you are a just another whining political extremist. But hey, we already knew that

Last edited:
Football does not care about diversity. The best players play regardless of race.

Flip it….The question of whether one race or ethnic group has a leg up on a progression to be a better football players is an interesting one.
Now that's funny. Tom Brady was drafted when in the draft? Coaches have 100% accuracy in picking starters over guys behind them. Ya, really.

Reactions: EPC FAN
I wish that PSU's sports teams were not affiliated with this university because the university itself has devolved into a cesspool like so many other of these universities. Perhaps PSU should realize what's its mission is and stop trying to be the Berkley of the Northeast.

By the way, other than the "prestige" of receiving a college diploma, many people who choose to throw away hundreds of thousands of dollars and four or more years of the prime of their lives by attending these leftist indoctrination camps would be better both financially and mentally by learning a trade and becoming a productive member of society by doing something that people really need rather than musing about the spheres.

In the end, everything is dictated by money, so my recommendation is to stop donating to places like PSU if you don't like the direction of it. If these places begin to crater financially, like they are beginning to do, then maybe they'll eliminate a lot of the garbage. By the way, there was an article in the Pittsburgh Tribune Review earlier this week about how the enrollments of the branch campuses of both PSU and Pitt have decreased dramatically in the past decade, which is a shame because I believe that they probably actually try to serve the true mission of these places more than the main campuses.
I agree with everything you said. The education across the board in this country is in the toilet and that's because these leftist mental cases destroy everything they touch.

Do the university wants diversity plus wants to help minorities. Good on them. But discriminating against others to achieve that goal is wrong.

Agreed. entry via branch campus with special consideration in terms of tutoring, counseling, classes for issues they perhaps didn't learn as kids....etc.

We've become victims, enablers, and given an excuse to be leach.

I agree with everything you said. The education across the board in this country is in the toilet and that's because these leftist mental cases destroy everything they touch.
the fundamental question is "who owns the governance and oversight of children" in the USA? Schools need to get back to teaching the three Rs and subjects associated with careers. They need to get out of social engineering. I recall PSU teaching classes on wine tasting and bowling.

So the university wants diversity plus wants to help minorities. Good on them. But discriminating against others to achieve that goal is wrong.

That's racist, don't you know liberals have already told us Blacks can't achieve without their help.

Reactions: bmejnes
the fundamental question is "who owns the governance and oversight of children" in the USA? Schools need to get back to teaching the three Rs and subjects associated with careers. They need to get out of social engineering. I recall PSU teaching classes on wine tasting and bowling.
You nailed it. But the left won't stop the nonsense so they need to be removed from office at every level. The insanity needs to stop. We need to fix this country for the next generation. I have a lot more time in the rear view mirror then the windshield.

I recall PSU teaching classes on wine tasting and bowling.
I concur, but I feel that the above need be, if not Constitutionally then socially protected and immune from eradication in our University. Fine wine appreciation skills are often necessary for inclusion in many elite circles. Are you interested in denying students social advancement? Regarding bowling, what red blooded young Nittany Lion doesn’t enjoy a night out in the alleys. Are you suggesting that they be unprepared and face potential ridicule?

I concur, but I feel that the above need be, if not Constitutionally then socially protected and immune from eradication in our University. Fine wine appreciation skills are often necessary for inclusion in many elite circles. Are you interested in denying students social advancement? Regarding bowling, what red blooded young Nittany Lion doesn’t enjoy a night out in the alleys. Are you suggesting that they be unprepared and face potential ridicule?
all good points. But I prefer the focus remain (if that is still the word) on readin', righten and rithmetic as it pertains to one's major. I would appreciate a class on woke terms though. I just learned that the new term for a lady's private parts is "bonus hole". :eek:

Their statement basically says you need all backgrounds which everyone agrees with. What they aren't saying is the want equity diversity, not diversity based on natural selection.
That statement was fine for K1-12. For a college degree to carry meaning, it must reward excellence and weed out those who are not suited to the work. That's not being mean. That's for everyone's benefit.

Reverse discrimination, no matter what you call it, is wrong. And ironically, the people hurt most often in college admissions are a minority themselves....Asians.

That statement was fine for K1-12. For a college degree to carry meaning, it must reward excellence and weed out those who are not suited to the work. That's not being mean. That's for everyone's benefit.

Reverse discrimination, no matter what you call it, is wrong. And ironically, the people hurt most often in college admissions are a minority themselves....Asians.
that's right. Discrimination is wrong.....in any and all forms. Fighting discrimination is like robbing a bank because your own house was robbed. it is justification for doing wrong because you've been wronged.

it will only create more racism and anger.

that's right. Discrimination is wrong.....in any and all forms. Fighting discrimination is like robbing a bank because your own house was robbed. it is justification for doing wrong because you've been wronged.

it will only create more racism and anger.
I think by now it should be obvious to everyone that fomenting hate and division is what the left does in all things. And that's by design.

This is a long overdue correction by the court. And I don't want to take away from what has happened here. However, Instead of worrying about these petty distractions, we need to focus on the evil that is pulling the left's strings and making the right impotent.

We, the people, no longer control this country.

The Stupor Court just said minorities are good enough to be given preference to man our militaries and die for our country, or live and suffer from alcoholism and/or PTSD, as did many officers did when I was an enlisted man.

But minorities and those that come from impoverished sectors of our society are not to be given preference for participating and benefitting from inclusion in our most elitist academic institutions.

Now, as I see it, the cure to all this is that no one should be denied access to either and all types of institutions as referenced above, or otherwise. If you succeed, you contribute to and benefit from those institutions and society at large. If not, you try something else. But hey, that would mean true open competition in the class room instead of completion between those which mommy and daddy buy all the advantages to get them in now and those that are put in because they are a particular type of minority.

Right now the dropout rate in the 1st and 2nd year of both anointed groups is high. Time to try something different from the Tweedledum and Tweedledee approach.

If you find PSU's statement on this topic offensive then you are a just another whining political extremist. But hey, we already knew that
And you are a clown. Congratulations.

Some of my engineer roommates drank so much wine that when they went bowling It kept throw their head down the gutter time and time again till one day they got a job designing engines for Yugo.

PS you proud baby.

Absolute insanity

Penn State wants diversity in everything but diversity of thought. If you are a conservative student you need not apply as you are not welcome at PSU and that's been made quite clear.

Penn State wants diversity in everything but diversity of thought. If you are a conservative student you need not apply as you are not welcome at PSU and that's been made quite clear.

Oh, the agony of you poor injured persecuted thangs. Perhaps if your champions of rational thought weren't the Marjorie Taylor Green's but instead the William F Buckley's (are there any left) in the US this type reaction wouldn't happen. Where have all the real conservatives gone?

Inherited wealth without effort has changed the face of what you now call conservatism and it is an ugly face of debauched privilege by nothing but birth, welfare by any true standard of measure.

True Conservatives, like my father are rolling in their graves as the modern pseudo-conservatives have embraced Dixiecratism with open arms in an effort to lift their politics of the absurd to a majority. That is tragic because genuine conservative values have been lost in the din of the idiots your generation has befriended.

This case and said ruling was about discrimination. Discrimination of race, for any intent is illegal and should always be. Even the dissenting judges tried to worm a technicality in their dissent but did not address discrimination and its legality.

Diversity is a very complex subject and a highly valued outcome for every pocket of our life. However, physical diversity ( how one looks ) is but one small and relatively valueless part of diversity by itself. Do green eyes bring anything meaningful vs blue vs brown vs hazel to a university? Real diversity come from experiences and background.

Universities are still free create impactful diversity as a result of this ruling. Just can't do it based on race.

I don't think most of you understand the "affirmative action" in this context (college admissions). Colleges whittle down all applicants into a pool of meritorious candidates from which they offer admissions. The emphasis on diversity means that non-white students from this pool are sometimes given priority in order to achieve a diverse class that reflects the racial diversity of society. If you can't see that is a good and fair policy, especially when "legacies" are still allowed, don't know what else to say.

Reactions: NittanyChris
I don't think most of you understand the "affirmative action" in this context (college admissions). Colleges whittle down all applicants into a pool of meritorious candidates from which they offer admissions. The emphasis on diversity means that non-white students from this pool are sometimes given priority in order to achieve a diverse class that reflects the racial diversity of society. If you can't see that is a good and fair policy, especially when "legacies" are still allowed, don't know what else to say.
Yep, nothing else to say other than it's discrimination based on race, which any person with an ounce of morality and common sense realizes is 100% wrong.

Last edited:
That doesn’t sound very fair to the white (and Asian lest we forget what the lawsuit is about) student who is denied in favor of a comparable POC. Especially if said white/Asian applicant is rejected from multiple colleges for that reason.

There’s no perfect solution- and I would agree that legacies are more of a problem than affirmative action- but it strike me as odd that the “solution” to past discrimination is to discriminate against today’s white and Asian students who had nothing to do with past behaviors.

Inherited wealth without effort has changed the face of what you now call conservatism and it is an ugly face of debauched privilege by nothing but birth, welfare by any true standard of memeasure.
I would argue that majority with inherited wealth and privilege are liberals. Most that have had to work hard and smart to earn and build what they have don't favor a liberal agenda of taxing the bejesus out of them and taking away what they earned to give to others who didn't earn it through entitlements and campaign promise give aways (Obama phones, Obama care, loan forgiveness, never ending unemployment, no tests or work requirements for welfare, etc.).

Conservatives don't want it handed to them. We are confident enough to work hard, smart, and compete to earn enough to improve their lot in life. Liberals message is victimhood and no way to improve your lot in life save government handouts.

And about privilege, we all are amazingly privileged born as an American. Anyone who has been around the world or served in various combat zones knows just how amazingly privileged we are as an American.
The democrat party of your day and age no longer exists. It has been replaced by radical anti-capitalist Marxists.

That doesn’t sound very fair to the white (and Asian lest we forget what the lawsuit is about) student who is denied in favor of a comparable POC. Especially if said white/Asian applicant is rejected from multiple colleges for that reason.

There’s no perfect solution- and I would agree that legacies are more of a problem than affirmative action- but it strike me as odd that the “solution” to past discrimination is to discriminate against today’s white and Asian students who had nothing to do with past behaviors.

14% of the US is black. The percentage of UNC students? 8.2% Harvard is 6%. And that's year after year after year. Sounds like you're saying you want to keep the unfair status quo.

14% of the US is black. The percentage of UNC students? 8.2% Harvard is 6%. And that's year after year after year. Sounds like you're saying you want to keep the unfair status quo.
Why is it fair to have race be equally represented at elite institutions independent of merit, application acceptance rate, or other measures? Should we require the NFL, NBA, and other pro sports to have an equal representation on every team by race? Or do we want sports to be merit and performance based but not engineering or medicine or law or accounting?

Why is it fair to have race be equally represented at elite institutions independent of merit, application acceptance rate, or other measures? Should we require the NFL, NBA, and other pro sports to have an equal representation on every team by race? Or do we want sports to be merit and performance based but not engineering or medicine or law or accounting?

Are you being purposefully obtuse, or just accidentally? To try to right a historical wrong that still affects our lives. In the past black Americans have been systematically excluded from even the pool of considered applicants. With Affirmative Action, qualified black Americans were starting to be included in this pool, and sometimes given priority based on this historical wrong. In an ideal world, race would have nothing to do with anything. Unfortunately, unless you have your head in the stand, race has much to do with what happens in this country.

Are you being purposefully obtuse, or just accidentally? To try to right a historical wrong that still affects our lives. In the past black Americans have been systematically excluded from even the pool of considered applicants. With Affirmative Action, qualified black Americans were starting to be included in this pool, and sometimes given priority based on this historical wrong. In an ideal world, race would have nothing to do with anything. Unfortunately, unless you have your head in the stand, race has much to do with what happens in this country.
You cannot right a wrong by wronging others. You cannot possibly capture all past wrongs.

You cannot right a wrong by wronging others. You cannot possibly capture all past wrongs.
Also, how long should these programs continue; until infinity? Justice O’Connor opined about 25 years ago in an opinion that she was hopeful that these programs would be coming to an end right about now.

The fact is that these programs did serve their purpose and, in many instances, worked, because there now are many minorities in many positions of power and authority, which is a good thing. Also, many schools, firms, companies, etc., now go out of their way to admit and hire people of minority backgrounds. The means have been put into place, and it’s not my fault if people chose not to use them.

Finally, the fact that minorities may be slightly unrepresented at some schools may not be a bad thing because maybe, rather than wasting years taking worthless courses and incurring massive debt, they’re going to trade schools or doing something else that will be much more worthwhile to society and give them much more financial security. In this respect, they’re actually doing the smart thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
31% of the US is lower class white people…what percentage of Harvard is lower class white people? I would guess it’s less than 6%. A school like Harvard is not going to have equal representation for all sub groups because the majority of people from all groups don’t qualify.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT