ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State stays put at No.11 in the latest CFP rankings

Why do you think it’s preferable for USC to beat notre dame? Seems to be the opposite, with usc dropping a second game increases the likelihood the big ten can get two teams, putting Penn state in the rose.
Agreed--ideally USC loses to ND then the Pac XII only gets one team unless a 3-loss Oregon/USC stays ahead of us which seems unlikely. And yes the key is 2 Big Ten (Rose) or 2 SEC teams (Orange)

JF……I know you you read t ur his board a ton. Please Hang 70 on Michigan State if you have the chance.

The committee is terrible.

#4 is only favored by 10 this week at home to a 4-7 team. Their hands may be tied here though. Vegas knows they aren't #4.

#5 has 2 losses and is ranked above two 1 loss conference leaders but worse, they are only favored by 10 this week to a 4-7 team. Vegas knows they aren't #5.

Meanwhile #7 is favored by 22 over a 5-6 as you would expect the #7 team to be.

#9 is only favored over #21 by a FG. Probably not really #9.

#10 was just blown out by 25 points by an unranked team.

#13 is only favored by 2 over an unranked opponent this week.

#18 is only a 10 point favorite to a 4-7 team.

#19 is a 2 point dog to #24.

#20 is only favored by 2 at home to an unranked opponent.

#25 is a 3 point dog to an unranked team.

The committee is terrible.

#4 is only favored by 10 this week at home to a 4-7 team. Their hands may be tied here though. Vegas knows they aren't #4.

#5 has 2 losses and is ranked above two 1 loss conference leaders but worse, they are only favored by 10 this week to a 4-7 team. Vegas knows they aren't #5.

Meanwhile #7 is favored by 22 over a 5-6 as you would expect the #7 team to be.

#9 is only favored over #21 by a FG. Probably not really #9.

#10 was just blown out by 25 points by an unranked team.

#13 is only favored by 2 over an unranked opponent this week.

#18 is only a 10 point favorite to a 4-7 team.

#19 is a 2 point dog to #24.

#20 is only favored by 2 at home to an unranked opponent.

#25 is a 3 point dog to an unranked team.
LSU has big wins USC doesn't
Oregon-Oregon State is likely low because of the rivalry
Tennessee has major wins
After that it's just ranking "subpar" teams.

LSU has big wins USC doesn't
Oregon-Oregon State is likely low because of the rivalry
Tennessee has major wins
After that it's just ranking "subpar" teams.

The problem is that outside of the UGA Oregon game, all of the SEC "big wins" inside the top 10 are at least partially tied to the assumption that these SEC teams are "big wins".

Bama has beaten clearly overrated Ole Miss and no one else. Ole Miss is a "Big Win"? They should have lost to mediocre Texas, and probably do if Texas doesn't play part of that game iwth their backup qb.

LSU has beaten the Bama team above along with Ole Miss and lost to 3 loss FSU.

Tennessee has beaten the above Bama and LSU teams and thats it.

Since Ole Miss plays heavily into two of the three we should look at their schedule as well. Their best win is unranked Kentucky.

So the perceived strength of all three teams stems almost entirely from where Alabama started the season ranked.

Put another way. Tulane has the same record as Bama and their best win (@#13 K State) is better than Bama's best win (@#20 Ole Miss).

Last edited:
Reactions: AnotherNovaLion
The problem is that outside of the UGA Oregon game, all of the SEC "big wins" inside the top 10 are at least partially tied to the assumption that these SEC teams are "big wins".

Bama has beaten clearly overrated Ole Miss and no one else. Ole Miss is a "Big Win"? They should have lost to mediocre Texas, and probably do if Texas doesn't play part of that game iwth their backup qb.

Since Ole Miss plays heavily into two of the three we should look at their schedule as well. Their best win is unranked Kentucky.

So the perceived strength of all three teams stems almost entirely from where Alabama started the season ranked.
But truthfully haven't they earned that reputation over the past decade or so? Fair or not past results play into the present and the opinion people have on teams and franchises.

Alabama doesn't have a "big win" but they have to very quality losses that were close unlike our quality losses

LSU losing to FSU has long been forgotten since it was week 1 and they won't ignore those two wins.

I mean, we do all comprehend Alabama is probably the most talented (at worst second) in the league. They may not have the results but that talent is undeniable as they sit at 9-2.

We just don't have the resume to be ahead of anyone of those teams at this point which is why Oregon is ahead of us now. USC probably jumps LSU if they beat ND but if LSU beats Georgia they'll likely skyrocket to at least 4.

We don't have to like it but we all know how this works

This year, the SEC is as mediocre a conference as the Big 10 is, and maybe even more so. The Big 10 has two undefeated teams and the SEC has one. The second, third and fourth best teams in the SEC all have two losses, and one of those teams lost to a FSU team that has multiple losses, and another lost to a 4 loss South Carolina team. The third best team in the Big 10 has lost two games, but they were to two undefeated teams.

But truthfully haven't they earned that reputation over the past decade or so? Fair or not past results play into the present and the opinion people have on teams and franchises.

Alabama doesn't have a "big win" but they have to very quality losses that were close unlike our quality losses

LSU losing to FSU has long been forgotten since it was week 1 and they won't ignore those two wins.

I mean, we do all comprehend Alabama is probably the most talented (at worst second) in the league. They may not have the results but that talent is undeniable as they sit at 9-2.

We just don't have the resume to be ahead of anyone of those teams at this point which is why Oregon is ahead of us now. USC probably jumps LSU if they beat ND but if LSU beats Georgia they'll likely skyrocket to at least 4.

We don't have to like it but we all know how this works

So it’s results that matter for some rankings and perceived talent for others. It works however the committee wants it to work for a given circumstance.

Tulane has the same record and a better win than bama.

This year, the SEC is as mediocre a conference as the Big 10 is, and maybe even more so. The Big 10 has two undefeated teams and the SEC has one. The second, third and fourth best teams in the SEC all have two losses, and one of those teams lost to a FSU team that has multiple losses, and another lost to a 4 loss South Carolina team. The third best team in the Big 10 has lost two games, but they were to two undefeated teams.
But they also weren't competitive if you just look at the scores. Michigan wasn't competitive even if you watched the game. We honestly just don't have a win. We all know they put wins on the board and our top win is Purdue who isn't even in consideration to be ranked

But they also weren't competitive if you just look at the scores. Michigan wasn't competitive even if you watched the game. We honestly just don't have a win. We all know they put wins on the board and our top win is Purdue who isn't even in consideration to be ranked

Tulane has beaten #13 K State. Bama's best win is #20 ole miss. Both have the same record.

They don't put all wins on the board.

Tulane has beaten #13 K State. Bama's best win is #20 ole miss. Both have the same record.

They don't put all wins on the board.
I deleted mine since you changed it
Tulane lost at home to UCF and Southern Miss. At home to two unranked teams. Yes, they have a better win but Bama, no us, has the best two losses in the nation because of the score and they were on the road
I don't know why we don't accept reality.
Also, there's no one alive that thinks Tulane has a better resume than Alabama right now other than those that just want to complain

What’s funny is that the PAC XII actually may be the deepest and best conference this year, and USC is getting no respect by being ranked below LSU.

Reactions: KCLion
I deleted mine since you changed it
Tulane lost at home to UCF and Southern Miss. At home to two unranked teams. Yes, they have a better win but Bama, no us, has the best two losses in the nation because of the score and they were on the road
I don't know why we don't accept reality.

I'm just pointing out its the argument is full of holes. It's all about best wins, unless you don't have best wins to fall back on then you have to argue about best losses.

I'm just pointing out its the argument is full of holes. It's all about best wins, unless you don't have best wins to fall back on then you have to argue about best losses.
You're underestimating the quality of Bama's win which is mulriple ranked teams
We have ZERO quality wins. We don't even have a win over a marginal team
You need a RESUME. Quality wins is HUGE we have zero--accept it and stop crying about it.
You're literally point to one win and ignore the entire point of the argument because you know you don't have a point

You're underestimating the quality of Bama's win which is mulriple ranked teams
We have ZERO quality wins. We don't even have a win over a marginal team
You need a RESUME. Quality wins is HUGE we have zero--accept it and stop crying about it.
You're literally point to one win and ignore the entire point of the argument because you know you don't have a point

I'm actually not talking about us.

9-2 teams with wins against higher ranked teams than Bama's
Tulane (K State)
Oregon (UCLA)
Tennesse (Alabama)
Washington (Oregon and as a bonus oregon state is one spot behind Bama's best win)

Edit: Lando Sucks.

Last edited:
Since we can't be reasonable

Alabama
Wins: @#20 Ole Miss @23 Texas
Losses: @#5 LSU by 1 @10 Tennessee on a last second FG by 3

Tulane
Wins: @13 Kansas State
Losses: UCF and Southern Miss AT HOME

Penn State
Wins: None
Losses: @#3 Michigan by 24 #2 Ohio State at home by 13

Can't imagine why they're ranked how they are

Tulane (K State)
Oregon (UCLA)
Tennesse (Alabama)
Washington (Oregon and as a bonus oregon state is one spot behind Bama's best win)
Do you not comprehend the word WINS--there's a letter at the end of the word. We have ZERO quality wins. You can say you're not talking about that but that's why you're discussing it because I keep saying we have zero quality WINS (again with an S) and you all fail to comprehend that quality WINS (again with an S) trumps good losses since we have NONE

You're not stupid--stop acting like it.

Do you not comprehend the word WINS--there's a letter at the end of the word. We have ZERO quality wins. You can say you're not talking about that but that's why you're discussing it because I keep saying we have zero quality WINS (again with an S) and you all fail to comprehend that quality WINS (again with an S) trumps good losses since we have NONE

You're not stupid--stop acting like it.

I'm not arguing we are ranked too low. I'm arguing Bama is ranked too high, and their high ranking is the crux for the argument about where LSU and UT find themselves. There seems to be some critical reading comprehension lacking.

All you argue about is big wins. I point out multiple teams (none of which calls state college home) with bigger "big wins" than Bama and you pivot to better losses.

I'm not arguing we are ranked too low. I'm arguing Bama is ranked too high. There seems to be some critical reading comprehension lacking.

All you argue about is big wins. I point out multiple teams (none of which calls state college home) with bigger "big wins" than Bama and you pivot to better losses.
How? They have 2 wins against ranked teams along with better losses. It isn't a difficult concept. They have wins on the road against 20 and 23. Hence far ahead of us. Our best win might not be in the top 40.

And you said "wins" there but ignored it in your other posts

And I didn't pivot to losses. You must be joking at this point. You're not this stupid

You're underestimating the quality of Bama's win

So if Miss St beats Ole Miss, does Bama lose Ole Miss as a good win? If Miss St gets ranked, do they then become a good win for Bama?

I don't see how the quality of a win can fluctuate that much at this point in the season other than arguing whatever point any given person desires to make.

Then it's name bias with TCU. Nobody questioned even 1 loss Oklahoma playing the Big 12 schedule. But TCU? Yeah, they win too close.

The whole system sucks unless you benefit. There needs to be a way it's earned on the field.

So if Miss St beats Ole Miss, does Bama lose Ole Miss as a good win? If Miss St gets ranked, do they then become a good win for Bama?

I don't see how the quality of a win can fluctuate that much at this point in the season other than arguing whatever point any given person desires to make.

Then it's name bias with TCU. Nobody questioned even 1 loss Oklahoma playing the Big 12 schedule. But TCU? Yeah, they win too close.

The whole system sucks unless you benefit. There needs to be a way it's earned on the field.
If Ole Miss falls to Miss State that takes away a ranked win and should hurt them.
Yes, a team like TCU (or Cincinnati last year) will never be given the same respect because they don't have the same level of talent.
The whole system does suck--bring on a 24 team playoff

How? They have 2 wins against ranked teams along with better losses. It isn't a difficult concept. They have wins on the road against 20 and 23. Hence far ahead of us. Our best win might not be in the top 40.

And you said "wins" there but ignored it in your other posts

And I didn't pivot to losses. You must be joking at this point. You're not this stupid

Washingotn has better wins. So does Oregon. They don't have #SEC next to their names though

UCLA has better wins. So does Oregon.
You have to stop with the nonsense
You added Oregon. I'd be fine with Oregon ahead of Alabama but that's the only team in the discussion as you know
Clemson should be behind at least Alabama and Oregon if not Tennessee and us

You have to stop with the nonsense
You added Oregon. I'd be fine with Oregon ahead of Alabama but that's the only team in the discussion as you know
Clemson should be behind at least Alabama and Oregon if not Tennessee and us

I added Oregon? They were in my earlier post.

Oregon and Washington both have top ten wins. Oregons second best win is better than Bama's best. Washington's second best win is equal to Bama's best.

So it's not Big Wins in Bama's case.

If Ole Miss falls to Miss State that takes away a ranked win and should hurt them.
Yes, a team like TCU (or Cincinnati last year) will never be given the same respect because they don't have the same level of talent.
The whole system does suck--bring on a 24 team playoff

Why are Ole Miss and Texas even ranked though? 7-4 South Carolina has a better win than 7-4 Texas. (Kansas State has beat NOBODY and has lost to every ranked team they've played based on the present)

Tulane (K State)
Oregon (UCLA)
TennesseE (Alabama)

Big wins matter more than losses until the loss quality matters more than bigger wins.

Oregon, Washington and UT should all be ahead of Bama.

Oregon and Washington have better wins.

UT has a better win and the head to head win and the same record.

Bama is ranked higher than these three because their name is Bama. Not because of their "big wins" against #20 and #23.

I added Oregon? They were in my earlier post.

Oregon and Washington both have top ten wins. Oregons second best win is better than Bama's best. Washington's second best win is equal to Bama's best.

So it's not Big Wins in Bama's case.
No when I went to respond it only said Oregon
Again, I'd have Oregon ahead of Bama but Bama is more talented than Oregon.
I talk about Big Wins and resume all the time. It's not just about "we lost to 2 & 3" because those games, on paper, weren't competitive.

Why are Ole Miss and Texas even ranked though? 7-4 South Carolina has a better win than 7-4 Texas. (Kansas State has beat NOBODY and has lost to every ranked team they've played based on the present)
Because their aren't a lot of good teams this year. They're the best of a weak group.

Oregon, Washington and UT should all be ahead of Bama.

Oregon and Washington have better wins.

UT has a better win and the head to head win and the same record.

Bama is ranked higher than these three because their name is Bama. Not because of their "big wins" against #20 and #23.
Washington absolutely should not be
Tennessee isn't because of the Hooker injury which I believe you comprehended when I said it earlier this week
Bama is ranked higher because they are Bama with 2 quality wins and the best losses in the country. It's truly a simple concept. It's called a resume.

No when I went to respond it only said Oregon
I talk about Big Wins and resume all the time. It's not just about "we lost to 2 & 3" because those games, on paper, weren't competitive.

Tulane (K State)
Oregon (UCLA)
Tennesse (Alabama)

Big wins matter more than losses until the loss quality matters more than bigger wins.

I addeded them? They're literally in the post you quoted. (edits don't carry through).

There are 3 glaring arguments against your "big wins" trump all argument and you decide to pivot to loss quality and "Roster Talent".

"Big Wins matter most, except when they matter less than quality losses and recruiting rankings." - Landocomando

I addeded them? They're literally in the post you quoted. (edits don't carry through).

There are 3 glaring arguments against your "big wins" trump all argument and you decide to pivot to loss quality and "Roster Talent".
Because I hit it when i read it and it updated you while that happened.
You're seriously not owning you originally wrote "Washington has better win" then edited it? It's not even a big deal
You cherry picking here.. Yes, Big wins are what this committee is focused on and that is proven time and time again. I never said THE ONLY THING THEY CARE ABOUT. Resume matters. Talent matters.
You can say whatever nonsense you want but this is about Penn State having zero decent wins and you being pissed I was right about how the ranking would be today. The only question was would Tennessee be ahead of Bama or ahead of us.
People act shocked with the rankings--they're predictable if you pay attention

Then why the games at all? Bama is going to have more talent than everyone for the foreseeable future until the kids get lazy or their offers slip (recruitniks won't catch up for years, see FSU). Just let them, UGA, and OSU play for it all with #4 picked by a dart thrown at the map.

Because their aren't a lot of good teams this year. They're the best of a weak group.

Best because why? Bc the ranks said so? Fast lax does bust your argument. If it's based on wins, Washington and Oregon have better ones. Bama has better losses, but does that change the weight significantly?

If Bama was Miss St, Miss St doesn't get ranked as high.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT