ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast Penn State's wide receiver recruiting struggles continue

Appreciate the effort to get 4 star guys but if they want too much money then go after some 3 star guys who want to come

Coach Franklin always has a backup plan so I’m sure they’ll find some interest soon.

Getting sick of the NIL nonsense. It’s no longer recruiting - - free agency would be a better term.

Appreciate the effort to get 4 star guys but if they want too much money then go after some 3 star guys who want to come

Coach Franklin always has a backup plan so I’m sure they’ll find some interest soon.

Getting sick of the NIL nonsense. It’s no longer recruiting - - free agency would be a better term.
Unfortunately free agency is not an appropriate term either because that is a professional sports term and in professional sports there are salary caps and luxury taxes. This is a free for all that will wreck the sport.

any chance they flip the Rutgers WR Thomas or one of the other SC WR since they now have 3 of the same guy really. There are also a few kids here in MD that are Rutgres/PItt kids that may be flippable

Reactions: joeaubie21
Unfortunately free agency is not an appropriate term either because that is a professional sports term and in professional sports there are salary caps and luxury taxes. This is a free for all that will wreck the sport.
Is this NIL $ taxable?

And that is up to PSU alums that want to pretend it is the 1950's.
The ones that think recruits will universally want to come here because Joe built the place are holding us back. Other than a few legacy folks, like Arrington’s son, the story these young people have about Joe is not good.

The ones that think recruits will universally want to come here because Joe built the place are holding us back. Other than a few legacy folks, like Arrington’s son, the story these young people have about Joe is not good.

That doesn't matter. Our coach asked for $10m per season to win titles. Not whine about NIL

Reactions: joeaubie21
That doesn't matter. Our coach asked for $10m per season to win titles. Not whine about NIL
I guess a lot of you don't understand just how cheap PSU fans are and that NIL plays a big role in recruiting today! Ignoring that fact won't change a thing. We are part of the formula for any coach winning here. Believe it or not.

Reactions: knickslions
I guess a lot of you don't understand just how cheap PSU fans are and that NIL plays a big role in recruiting today! Ignoring that fact won't change a thing. We are part of the formula for any coach winning here. Believe it or not.

Then coach should give up half his salary to NIL.

He can show us the way.

I think you were mistaken above. When Joe was fired his players at the time supported him. Hundreds of former players also protested.
Current recruits don’t give a sh1t about what Joe did here and probably have a negative view of what he was. The fact we are still idolizing Joe (against what he would want) and that entire era holds us back. We are our own worse enemy.

They do not understand that at all.

Current recruits don’t give a sh1t about what Joe did here and probably have a negative view of what he was. The fact we are still idolizing Joe (against what he would want) and that entire era holds us back. We are our own worse enemy.
😯

It’s mostly two, three big donors at these schools with bottomless pockets. PSUs alumni aren’t cheap. The PSU “elite” won’t support it without conditions. PSU won’t budge.

That would be the next big scandal at PSU, the coach himself paying the players.

The coach doesn't have to pay players. He can donate his money. Just like he is asking us to do.

The workaround is simple. Donors are paying his salary. He asks for half as much and the donors instead give to NIL.

LdN

Reactions: mgkpsu
Perhaps if the intransigent BoT would properly honor Joe some of the cheap fan money and donations that disappeared en mass would come back.

Joe is irrelevant to current recruits. The negative about Sandusky is not important to them and the positive that he built Penn State football and is the reason 107,000 come to games is also irrelevant to them.

Apparently we are weak on NIL money offers yet we have a '25 class that is top 15.

Franklin needs to show he can can win big games and get us to the playoffs and perhaps some more NIL money will flow.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Joe is irrelevant to current recruits. The negative about Sandusky is not important to them and the positive that he built Penn State football and is the reason 107,000 come to games is also irrelevant to them.

Apparently we are weak on NIL money offers yet we have a '25 class that is top 15.

Franklin needs to show he can can win big games and get us to the playoffs and perhaps some more NIL money will flow.

The money will flow again when Paterno is properly honored.

Perhaps if the intransigent BoT would properly honor Joe some of the cheap fan money and donations that disappeared en mass would come back.
Yes, because that's what's holding down our WR recruiting. Not properly venerating Joe Paterno.

If only that Joe statue were up, Quincy Porter and Dezie Jones and Lex Cyrus and Taz Williams would be Lions.

Yes, because that's what's holding down our WR recruiting. Not properly venerating Joe Paterno.

If only that Joe statue were up, Quincy Porter and Dezie Jones and Lex Cyrus and Taz Williams would be Lions.

The screwing of Joe cost Penn State millions if not billions by now. If you want to cry about money, thank the BoT.

You can't have it both ways. You want money, tell the BoT to stop being assholes.

Then there'll be money to blow on clowns.

You call it cheap. I call it smart financial planning. Giving money to people that are already among the upper echelon of people with privileged lifestyles is stupid, financially and societally speaking.

Reactions: RickinDayton
You call it cheap. I call it smart financial planning. Giving money to people that are already among the upper echelon of people with privileged lifestyles is stupid, financially and societally speaking.
If you love your financial planning so much, why are you are wasting your financial planning time here on a sports board? Or, are you here preparing to place your puts and calls over on FanDuel?

Giving money to highschool athletes (The Upper Echelon with privilege lifestyles?) what are you talking about? What percentage of these young people ever play in the NFL and earn a elite lavish lifestyle? I call your financial planning argument nonsense and something beyond the outer limits of disingenuous.

Reactions: knickslions
This board is proof. They complain about paying $5 to watch a game and $10 to post with the nuts. That’s long way from donating to NIL lol

Then coach should give up half his salary to NIL.

He can show us the way.
If he would do that I am sure you would, too. 🤣
Does your childish requirement of Coach Franklin apply to all other coaches or just to CJF. I am sure a majority of them are already doing just that. BTW, Franklin has diverted some of his pay toward that of assistant coaches. Whine on!

The on-field results of PSU WR's are having just as much of an effect as NIL in my opinion. Look at these WR stats vs commit numbers. I don't think it's necessary to go back any further than 3 years to see the correlation. It would help tremendously to have another top 20 receiver. Even top 50 would probably help.

2023 - 121st in receiving yards (KLS) - 2024 commit average rank (Brown -70, Gonzalez -80ish, Denmark -79) Brown as high as 8
2022 - 157th in receiving yards (PW) - 2023 commit average rank (Taylor -57 -no longer with the team)
2021 - 18th in receiving yards (JD) - 2022 commit average rank (Saunders -16, Ivey -42, Evans -51, Johnson -75) Saunders as high as 5.

I seriously doubt that Paterno has any impact one way or another on today’s recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT