ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia 76ers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Ben Simmons for winning the NBA Rookie of the Year. Well Deserved!!

I'm only sharing this because Windhorst was used a couple posts back to say that LeBron isn't considering Philly, yet today he still gives them an 8% chance:

Seems strange to us old timers, but following people on social media is actually meaningful to these young whipper snappers. I like checking it out for recruits that are nearing making a decision. I remember posting about Jason Oweh following about 4x as many PSU people as OSU people before his decision.
XF-KISgNzajnWE8hn2TQp6G75kInvL9cKk1T4kt5-AY.jpg

So interesting that Labron follows Embiid, Simmons, Sixers owner Will Smith and Iverson on instagram (and recently departed Sixers coach Lloyd Pierce) but doesn't follow any Lakers. Magic Johnson follows Lebron, Lebron doesn't follow back. Paul George follows Lebron, Lebron doesn't follow back. Lebron doesn't follow any Lakers. And his latest IG story is him jamming to Meek Mill, the huge Sixers fan.

Kind of interesting.

Right now, think he still stays with the Cavs, fwiw.

Seems strange to us old timers, but following people on social media is actually meaningful to these young whipper snappers. I like checking it out for recruits that are nearing making a decision. I remember posting about Jason Oweh following about 4x as many PSU people as OSU people before his decision.
XF-KISgNzajnWE8hn2TQp6G75kInvL9cKk1T4kt5-AY.jpg

So interesting that Labron follows Embiid, Simmons, Sixers owner Will Smith and Iverson on instagram (and recently departed Sixers coach Lloyd Pierce) but doesn't follow any Lakers. Magic Johnson follows Lebron, Lebron doesn't follow back. Paul George follows Lebron, Lebron doesn't follow back. Lebron doesn't follow any Lakers. And his latest IG story is him jamming to Meek Mill, the huge Sixers fan.

Kind of interesting.

Right now, think he still stays with the Cavs, fwiw.
I find it odd that his camp is putting out the "we dont want a circus recruiting pitch" when he hasn't even opted out yet. I think he is definitely opting out and listening.

Last edited:
But when it comes to the question of whether the Lakers can land James, no one seems to be able to predict who might join him as a co-star. After all, they’re the only team in the league with enough salary cap room for two max-level players. Yet in the absence of that answer, most objective observers assume he would then either stay in Cleveland or head elsewhere. As reported by USA TODAY Sports, the early signs aren’t positive for the Lakers when it comes to Paul George, Kawhi Leonard or Chris Paul winding up in purple and gold.

So might James head for the Lakers even if he couldn’t secure another All-Star?

WHAT ABOUT THE SIXERS?

Philadelphia might be James’ best plug-and-play option. Add him to the Sixers’ core of Simmons and Joel Embiid, and the Sixers team that was already on the rise in the East would be a fascinating force. But like Kuzma, Simmons stopped short of recruiting James when asked about his future.

“What pieces do we need?” said Simmons, whose Sixers went 52-30 during the regular season and fell in five games to Boston in the Eastern Conference semifinals. “I think time. I think a little bit of time. I think that's the main thing for us. We don't have that much experience with Joel and I and some of the younger people on our team and guys like that. So I think experience plays a big role. Obviously, some key pieces.

“Maybe that is a free agent, a big free agent who we can lean on and learn from, so we don't really have that older, veteran guy who is a star like that, but we have great veterans in JJ (Redick), and Amir (Johnson), Jerryd Bayless and guys like that who have taught me a lot from my first season.”

Then again, hip-hop artist and Sixers super fans Meek Mill was seen chatting with Lebron's agent Rich Paul before the show began. That must be a sign that Philly has the inside track here, right? Not at all. But that didn’t stop people from noticing – and wondering.

Follow USA TODAY Sports' Sam Amick on Twitter.

Reactions: bmw199
Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James is reportedly expected to make a final decision about whether to stay with the Cavs or join a new team before Independence Day.

Adam London of NESN provided the update from ESPN's Brian Windhorst, who's covered James' entire career, about what could be a quick foray into free agency.

"Everybody will be on holiday on July 4. It will be over by then," Windhorst said on The Lowe Post podcast last week.

James has a few different options on the table.

The four-time NBA MVP could opt into the final year of his contract, which would pay him $35.6 million for the 2018-19 season, per Spotrac.

He could facilitate a sign-and-trade deal, inking a long-term max extension with the Cavaliers and then getting dealt to his team of choice.

Or he could decline the player option and hit the open market.

The Los Angeles Lakers are the betting favorite (minus-150) to land James, according to OddsShark. They are followed by the Philadelphia 76ers (plus-450), Cavaliers (plus-500), Boston Celtics (plus-700) and Houston Rockets (plus-800).

On Monday, Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.com reported the three-time NBA champion has "no intention of hearing elaborate pitch meetings from teams." That lends credence to the idea he could decide quickly.

The 33-year-old Ohio native has cautioned against taking too much stock in anonymous reports leading up to his potential foray into the open market, telling reporters in February: "If you don't hear something coming from my voice, then it's not true. ... If it's not from me, it's not true."

One thing's for sure: James' decision will play a major role in determining the NBA's balance of power heading into next season and beyond.

Simmons will be 22 in a month and Embiid/Saric are both 24. Fultz is 20 and Covington is 27. If I am Lebron, I'd say the Sixers are ready to compete more so over the next 2-3 years but it does not appear he's interested.

Lonzo and Ingram are only 20 while Kuzma/Randle and Hart are/going to be 23. That is a lot of youth and if you gave them a couple more years, I'd like their potential as much (probably more so) than the Sixers current ability. I think if they could get Kawhi in the offseason next year, the Lakers will be ready to challenge GS, Philly and Boston in a couple years.

If Lakers are dead set on win now mode and offer the Spurs 2 of those young guys (Kuzma and Ingram) I think I'd take a hard look at a 2-3 year mini rebuild and not worry if LA has a super team w/ LBJ and Kawhi for the next few years. Give me Ingram and Kuzma while also taking Deng's terrible contract for Hart and all of sudden the Spurs have a group of long athletic youngsters including Dejounte Murray. Maybe keep Lamarcus Aldridge for a year to help the young players develop then move him and position this team to be competitive in the West when Houston, Lakers and Warriors likely start coming apart in 3 years or so.

Lonzo and Ingram are only 20 while Kuzma/Randle and Hart are/going to be 23. That is a lot of youth and if you gave them a couple more years, I'd like their potential as much (probably more so) than the Sixers current ability.

None of those guys are close to Simmons or Embiid. Simmons was just rookie of the year, had the most triple doubles as a rookie since Oscar Robinson; and Embiid came in second in NBA defensive player of the year and was 2nd team All NBA.

Simmons will be 22 in a month and Embiid/Saric are both 24. Fultz is 20 and Covington is 27. If I am Lebron, I'd say the Sixers are ready to compete more so over the next 2-3 years but it does not appear he's interested.

Lonzo and Ingram are only 20 while Kuzma/Randle and Hart are/going to be 23. That is a lot of youth and if you gave them a couple more years, I'd like their potential as much (probably more so) than the Sixers current ability. I think if they could get Kawhi in the offseason next year, the Lakers will be ready to challenge GS, Philly and Boston in a couple years.

If Lakers are dead set on win now mode and offer the Spurs 2 of those young guys (Kuzma and Ingram) I think I'd take a hard look at a 2-3 year mini rebuild and not worry if LA has a super team w/ LBJ and Kawhi for the next few years. Give me Ingram and Kuzma while also taking Deng's terrible contract for Hart and all of sudden the Spurs have a group of long athletic youngsters including Dejounte Murray. Maybe keep Lamarcus Aldridge for a year to help the young players develop then move him and position this team to be competitive in the West when Houston, Lakers and Warriors likely start coming apart in 3 years or so.
This is either misinformed or insulting. No player on the Lakers could sniff Embiid or Simmons jock strap. It's not even close. Simmons just won ROY and literally the only debate about it was whether he counted as a rookie or not; meaning he was so good nobody could argue how good he is. He is often referred to as the next Lebron. Embiid is a generational talent that plays inside, outside, and oh by the way just finished second in defensive POY and 2nd Team All-NBA, and will literally be the face of the NBA next year when hes on the cover of NBA 2K19.

The Lakers team is overhyped garbage. LA and its media machine wants Lebron in LA so they overhype the pieces. That team is trash right now with a bunch of cap space.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/26/17505326/sixers-lebron-james-kawhi-leonard

Great article.The reason the Sixers are still in the Lebron running? They have the assets, cap space, and flexibility to bring in both Kawhi and Lebron, plus two players that are already stars. Even the Warriors would have a lot of trouble with a Big 4 of Simmons, Embiid, Kawhi, and Lebron (plus Redick on VME deal?). Who can play defense against that team? Imagine Steph being switched onto any of those four players.

Spurs won't keep Kawhi in the West, and besides, the Sixers can put together a package infinitely better than anything the Lakers can. Once you get Kawhi in Philly, it becomes a lot easier for Lebron to sign on the dotted line.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/26/17505326/sixers-lebron-james-kawhi-leonard

Great article.The reason the Sixers are still in the Lebron running? They have the assets, cap space, and flexibility to bring in both Kawhi and Lebron, plus two players that are already stars. Even the Warriors would have a lot of trouble with a Big 4 of Simmons, Embiid, Kawhi, and Lebron (plus Redick on VME deal?). Who can play defense against that team? Imagine Steph being switched onto any of those four players.

Spurs won't keep Kawhi in the West, and besides, the Sixers can put together a package infinitely better than anything the Lakers can. Once you get Kawhi in Philly, it becomes a lot easier for Lebron to sign on the dotted line.

San Antonio Spurs Acquire: Markelle Fultz, Robert Covington, Dario Saric, Zhaire Smith, Jerryd Bayless, Timothe Luwawu-Cabbarot, MIA 2021 1st-round pick

That is a ridiculous overpay for an injured player with one year left on his contract. You look at the packages that other star players were traded for (Kyrie, Cousins, George) they are nowhere near that many assets. That writer is a Celtics fanboy trying to drive up the price for the Sixers.

I'd rather let our core naturally improve as they reach their primes than sell the store for a (possible) 1 year rental.

San Antonio Spurs Acquire: Markelle Fultz, Robert Covington, Dario Saric, Zhaire Smith, Jerryd Bayless, Timothe Luwawu-Cabbarot, MIA 2021 1st-round pick

That is a ridiculous overpay for an injured player with one year left on his contract. You look at the packages that other star players were traded for (Kyrie, Cousins, George) they are nowhere near that many assets. That writer is a Celtics fanboy trying to drive up the price for the Sixers.

I'd rather let our core naturally improve as they reach their primes than sell the store for a (possible) 1 year rental.
That's not a realistic trade on the Sixers' part. It's way, way too much, even if Leonard does agree to an extension. The Sixers have to keep one of Fultz or Smith and one of Covington or Saric. The MIA pick, alone, is maybe the most valuable asset on that list.

Reactions: jrs1024 and colt21

I agree that SA won't trade Kwahi to LA. And without Kwahi, I don't think James goes there. Relative to 76ers, I am told James doesn't want to live in Philly. If LA somehow swings a trade of a top five player, then James is likely to go to LA. If not, I think he stays in CLE.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about it being Celtics fan trying to drum up the price. Bill Simmons has been chirping about it, undoubtedly trying to do the same. He owns the ringer, so it’s probably more than coincidence.

Bayless is a definite in any deal, though you could just pawn him off to someone else for a 2nd round pick swap. TLC is negligible. I’d assume that Miami 2021 pick would be included. Then I think you can offer Fultz and Covington. Maybe smith. Not Saric. I think the sixers have to keep one of Fultz or Saric.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about it being Celtics fan trying to drum up the price. Bill Simmons has been chirping about it, undoubtedly trying to do the same. He owns the ringer, so it’s probably more than coincidence.

Bayless is a definite in any deal, though you could just pawn him off to someone else for a 2nd round pick swap. TLC is negligible. I’d assume that Miami 2021 pick would be included. Then I think you can offer Fultz and Covington. Maybe smith. Not Saric. I think the sixers have to keep one of Fultz or Saric.

I’m not selling low on Fultz. Think he is going to bounce back with a big year.

Reactions: Kmase21 and Aloha T
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about it being Celtics fan trying to drum up the price.

Or a Lakers overpay. LA’s back is against the wall. The Spurs could play a long game and gut the future of that roster, rendering LA irrelevant 2-3 years down the line.

The Lakers aren’t winning the West even with Leonard and James. Or even with George as a third.

Adrian Wojo says the Lakers have offered Ingram, Kyle Kuzma and Josh Hart plus future first-round picks and perhaps restricted free agent Julius Randle in a sign-and-trade agreement.

Well, right now, I'd have to say Kuzma is probably the best player among that group. So the Lakers offer is probably the better one.
I mean Covington was first team all-defense and shot 37% from 3 pt range, and led the SF position in RPM and 2nd in win shares. I think he’s got to be the best right now of any of those guys.

Fultz has more upside than any of those. And probably the biggest asset in the whole thing is the Miami 2021 pick.

Honestly, if the Lakers overpay and LeBron goes there then the Sixers path the finals is probably easier than if LeBron stayed in Cleveland. Sixers could swing a deal for Lillard or McCollum, sign Bradley and keep Fultz and be better off. I think Celtics with Kyrie are going to be worse than them without him this past playoff run.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Honestly, if the Lakers overpay and LeBron goes there then the Sixers path the finals is probably easier than if LeBron stayed in Cleveland. Sixers could swing a deal for Lillard or McCollum, sign Bradley and keep Fultz and be better off. I think Celtics with Kyrie are going to be worse than them without him this past playoff run.
CLE paper had a good article that stated Jame's problem is the same no matter where he goes. He will have an inadequate supporting cast in order to beat the GSW given that those teams would need to give up in terms of cap space and/or support players. For example, to get James, LAL will have to give up a lot of talent to get Lenard. James and Lenard will not be enough to beat the GSW, let alone the Rockets. Same with Boston, Sixers and every other team that can afford James' salary. James only has a year or two before Father Time catches up and he starts to run into the inevitable injuries like Jordan and Jabbar experienced that effectively ended their careers. His other option would be to take a big pay cut to play for Oklahoma or Houston; teams that are championship ready but just need that one last guy. Will he take a pay cut?

Another option is that James can sign a $200m 4/5 year plan with the Cavs and optimize his income for whatever his next, post NBA, endeavor might be. He can continue to sign his one year with an option year, but only guarantees himself max income for two years.

It is an interesting choice for him given the NBA's cap rules and trading challenges.

Will he take a pay cut?
He's a union VP, so the obvious answer is no.
He will have an inadequate supporting cast in order to beat the GSW
That is a matter of opinion. I can see how you would arrive at that opinion being that the Cavs couldn't build a team around him minus 1 year to get it done. The Cavs don't have Simmons or Embiid.

He's a union VP, so the obvious answer is no.

That is a matter of opinion. I can see how you would arrive at that opinion being that the Cavs couldn't build a team around him minus 1 year to get it done. The Cavs don't have Simmons or Embiid.

Fair enough....are the Sixers with Simmons and Embiid ready win an NBA championship, beating the GSW, with James? And signing james would pretty much eliminate JJ Redick and Belinelli, outside shooters the Sixers will need. He can go to the NBA championship with the Cavs, as he did last year, the key is having a team that will beat the GSW. Then, if it isn't done next year, the year after James turns 35. He's realistically only got a one or two year window.

Fair enough....are the Sixers with Simmons and Embiid ready win an NBA championship, beating the GSW, with James? And signing james would pretty much eliminate JJ Redick and Belinelli, outside shooters the Sixers will need. He can go to the NBA championship with the Cavs, as he did last year, the key is having a team that will beat the GSW. Then, if it isn't done next year, the year after James turns 35. He's realistically only got a one or two year window.
Pretty much every article out there states that Reddick would be back on the exemption in that case. Part of why they gave him 23 million last year was so that he could take less this year.

Obliviax is so passive-aggressive about the Sixers.
i am not sure what that means! The Sixers have assembled the best young talent in the East and have a great future. I will be shocked if James ends up there, from what I know. And, I am not sure the sixers want to give up the assets to get james. He is a great, great player but will break down soon.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/28/k...mpaign=thecrossover&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

By JAKE FISCHER
June 28, 2018
The Spurs are ramping up Kawhi Leonard trade talks and two Eastern Conference teams appear to be jockeying for position. The Philadelphia 76ers have recognized the Spurs’ and L.A. Lakers’ urgency to complete a deal, sources say. And while the Sixers have not made a formal offer to San Antonio at this time, Philadelphia has held serious internal discussions about acquiring Leonard over the last 48 hours. The front office has presented team ownership with several trade scenarios for discussion, sources say.

San Antonio has informed teams its preferred target in any Leonard trade is the Celtics' Jayson Tatum, sources say. Teams have noted this is likely a negotiating tactic, and it’s widely believed in league circles Boston is more likely to propose a deal centered around Kyrie Irving and future picks. But based on previous behavior, the Celtics are unlikely to overpay for Leonard.

Philadelphia’s internal discussions have focused on potential trade packages offering various young players and future draft selections. One team source says preliminary discussions with San Antonio revealed the Spurs have strong interest in a package involving burgeoning forwards Dario Saric and Robert Covington as well as a future first-round pick. A potential, more serious offer that Philadelphia is weighing internally includes Saric and Covington and the 2021 Miami Heat unprotected first-round pick the Sixers obtained in their draft-night deal with the Phoenix Suns. “How do you acquire things that can attract stars and develop stars?” Sixers head coach Brett Brown told reporters that Thursday evening. “That pick might be the key to all of this. That pick might be the thing that links a possible trade.”

However, in trade negotiations leading up to and during the draft, sources say Philly expressed how highly it values Saric and Covington. Saric in particular is a key ingredient to Philadelphia’s budding culture, being viewed as a charismatic and overtly positive player whose energy was clearly missed within the Sixers’ practice facility when he played for Croatia in last summer’s EuroBasket. Covington is as much a paragon of the Sixers’ development efforts as any player of The Process era, emerging from an undrafted free agent to a key starter the team inked to a long-term extension last fall. “He helped us coach him to being a two-way-player, that elusive two-way player,” Brown told SI in 2017. “And now he’s for real.”

Jesse D. Garrabrant/Getty Images
The Sixers rebuffed trade offers for Saric and Covington during an attempt to move into the top five selections of the 2018 draft, sources say. While it is believed Philly’s efforts to trade up were in targeting Luka Doncic, the Sixers made it clear to teams they were not willing to part with players they rated highly and signed to reasonable contracts. Philadelphia values the team’s assets, and the organization was averse to mortgaging its future flexibility.

Within the organization, the 76ers have acknowledged the challenges of obtaining Leonard and his looming medical concerns. Philadelphia views the situation very similarly to the end of Paul George’s tenure in Indiana 12 months ago: The Spurs have a fractured relationship with their star and Leonard’s camp has publicly postured for San Antonio to trade him.

While Leonard’s camp has made it clear the former Defensive Player of the Year prefers Los Angeles and the Lakers, a source close to the situation says the Southern California native is open to playing in other major markets. Leonard’s suboptimal contract extension discussions with Jordan Brand in March signaled the importance of playing in a larger market, and the Spurs star would be open to playing in Boston and New York, the source said. Philadelphia could pose an opportunity for Leonard to play for a contending organization in a major media market, and while he was closest with Spurs assistant coach Chip Engelland, sources say, it is believed Leonard and Brown maintain a good relationship from their time together in San Antonio.

Saric, Covington, and the 2021 pick?

One team source says preliminary discussions with San Antonio revealed the Spurs have strong interest in a package involving burgeoning forwards Dario Saric and Robert Covington as well as a future first-round pick.
This is what I was looking at the other day. Potential for Kawhi and LeBron and keeping Fultz.
Saric and Covington to San Antonio. Then you need to get someone to take Bayless, TLC, and Anderson. Then all you need to do is cut Holmes. You could then get Reddick to take the exemption and come back. SuperTeam.

Roster:
Embiid, Simmons, Kawhi, LeBron, Reddick, Fultz, Smith, Shamet, Milton, Bolden, Korkmaz, McConnell

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT