ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt doesn't sell out 5500 ticket allowance to ACC Champ; ACC is tarping stadium

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
Pitt and Tarping. Like peanut butter and jelly.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2018/11/28/ticket-sales-for-acc-championship-game-are-down/

As of Wednesday afternoon, the ACC Championship Game still has close 10,000 seats available, and unlike years past, Tiger fans are not buying up all the unused tickets.

Clemson and the Panthers are scheduled to kick off at 8 p.m., and the game will be televised nationally on ABC.

The Clemson Insider reached out to the ACC on Wednesday and got no word from the conference on where it stands with ticket sales and what kind of crowd is it expecting for Saturday night.

However, Clemson’s Deputy Athletic Director, Graham Neff, told TCI Clemson sold out its allotment of 5,500, but knows Pitt did not. He also reported the ACC told Clemson, as of Wednesday morning, it’s expecting a little more than 60,000 for Saturday’s game.

That figure could go up, but not enough to sellout the stadium. The conference even announced a deal where it is offering fans who buy three, they will get a fourth ticket for free.

The ACC has already placed covers in parts of the upper decks of Bank of America Stadium, but they have rolled a few off as Clemson fans continue to purchase tickets off StubHub.

The question is will Clemson people buy enough tickets to make up for the lack of support Pittsburgh is bringing to The Queen City?

Fan attendance for Clemson’s 3 appearances at the ACC Championship game in Charlotte

2011: 73,675 vs. Virginia Tech

2015: 74,514 vs. North Carolina (ACC Championship Game record)

2017: 74,372 vs. Miami

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2018/11/28/ticket-sales-for-acc-championship-game-are-down/

As of Wednesday afternoon, the ACC Championship Game still has close 10,000 seats available, and unlike years past, Tiger fans are not buying up all the unused tickets.

Clemson and the Panthers are scheduled to kick off at 8 p.m., and the game will be televised nationally on ABC.

The Clemson Insider reached out to the ACC on Wednesday and got no word from the conference on where it stands with ticket sales and what kind of crowd is it expecting for Saturday night.

However, Clemson’s Deputy Athletic Director, Graham Neff, told TCI Clemson sold out its allotment of 5,500, but knows Pitt did not. He also reported the ACC told Clemson, as of Wednesday morning, it’s expecting a little more than 60,000 for Saturday’s game.

That figure could go up, but not enough to sellout the stadium. The conference even announced a deal where it is offering fans who buy three, they will get a fourth ticket for free.

The ACC has already placed covers in parts of the upper decks of Bank of America Stadium, but they have rolled a few off as Clemson fans continue to purchase tickets off StubHub.

The question is will Clemson people buy enough tickets to make up for the lack of support Pittsburgh is bringing to The Queen City?

Fan attendance for Clemson’s 3 appearances at the ACC Championship game in Charlotte

Pitt is the Dollar General of college football...buy three tickets get a fourth free for a championship game....when do they start offering a free soft drink if you stay?

Obviously sales of Town Talk bread, white or wheat, are down.

You have to think the Fiesta/Peach is utterly dreading the thought of Pitt winning.

You have to think the Fiesta/Peach is utterly dreading the thought of Pitt winning.
All I am going to say here is that the 2007 Pitt game against #2 West Virginia was a blatant attempt by the refs to steal the game from Pittsburgh, the most obvious snow job ever. The relationship to your post is that that WVU would have gone to the championship game had they won. There's that.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy

So what impact does this have on Penn State?

This surprises anyone. Only sell out when Psu and nd come to town

Sitting in Charlotte airport now - a few Pitt fans on my flight from Philly and a few in the Airport but not a lot. Gonna suck for them since the weather here stinks - raining hard. Thank god I am just connecting to head to Florida.

Feel sorry for my son. He currently lives in Charlotte and works for Belk. He spent 11 years in Pittsbugh working for American Eagle. He considers Pittsburgh his second home, loves the Steelers, but lives and dies Penn State Football. He has to go to the game today, as a few friends who are Pitt fans are visiting him. He assured me that under his layers of clothing will be a PSU Football Shirt.

Feel sorry for my son. He currently lives in Charlotte and works for Belk. He spent 11 years in Pittsbugh working for American Eagle. He considers Pittsburgh his second home, loves the Steelers, but lives and dies Penn State Football. He has to go to the game today, as a few friends who are Pitt fans are visiting him. He assured me that under his layers of clothing will be a PSU Football Shirt.

He should take with him a simple sign with just the numbers 51-6 on it.

Reactions: marshall23
Pitt sold out their ticket allotment, According to local Pittsburgh news coverage.
As much as I hate to even see them covered on the news.

Outside of Clemson, FSU(when they are winning) VPI(when they are winning) and Miami(when they are winning championships) the rest of The ACC Fan Bases are hot garbage for football. The Pac 12 is the same way. Their championship game attendance was so embarrassing on Friday Night, they should strongly consider playing future championship games on the home field of the higher placing team within the conference.

They couldn't care less. Pitt isn't going to a NY 6 even if they win.

They would in fact go to a NY6 Game as the automatic qualifier of The ACC. I wonder what the ratings would be of a Pitt vs UCF(minus Milton)rematch. :eek:

Reactions: BarkleyPSU1

The Clemson fans aren't buying them up because they are going to need their money for the playoff games.

Pitt sold out their ticket allotment, According to local Pittsburgh news coverage.
As much as I hate to even see them covered on the news.

Did the university buy them all and then give them to the homeless with a T-shirt like Rutgers did for their bowl game in Detroit.

Reactions: BlueBand
Honestly, I'm surprised that many of these championship games get as good of attendance as they do. The SEC & Big XII were helped this year by Georgia and Texas basically having home games. Northwestern will travel very well because it may be a once in a lifetime thing but I can't see spending the money to travel to Charlotte if I was a Pitt fan knowing that they're probably going to get destroyed.

Honestly, I'm surprised that many of these championship games get as good of attendance as they do. The SEC & Big XII were helped this year by Georgia and Texas basically having home games. Northwestern will travel very well because it may be a once in a lifetime thing but I can't see spending the money to travel to Charlotte if I was a Pitt fan knowing that they're probably going to get destroyed.
Pitt fans don't spend the money to travel to Heinz Field.

The Orange Bowl is one of the college playoff semifinal games, therefore there is no automatic slot tie-in for the ACC.
That's what I thought when I made my prior post (along with Pitt being outside the final CFP top 12 rankings if they were to win), but further analysis changes my position and I do think they would be slotted into either the peach or fiesta.

Didn't read everyone's posts, but know a guy going. He had to be at the team hotel by 12 to get his tickets. As a PITT he even said they don't know what they are doing.

It looked like the PAC 12 game last night was very sparsely attended. I’m liking the idea of this weekend being the first round of an 8-team playoff with on campus games better and better.

Prefer 6 teams...tournament of champs
It's up to the conference to determine their champ.
P5 champs +1 wildcard (either ND, 2nd tier conference champ, or 2nd P5 team if necessary)

Top 2 get byes.
3-6 play at home field of higher ranked team
remaining 4 played as it is today - bowls + National Championship game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT