ADVERTISEMENT

Players leaving for NFL or transfer or just move on to life?

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
with players making decisions on their lives, how do you feel we are set in 2021 for each position group? seems like 4*/5* players who doe not see good PT during their first/second year are now portal bound at every school.

OL
Menet and Fries already were seniors - try NFL
Walker - JR by class - try NFL or return?
Thorpe - SR by class - NFL or portal or return?
Depth seems pretty decent - Wallace, Miranda, Holmes, Effner, Wormley, Scruggs, Fashanu and other younger players plus Walker and Thorpe if they return

WR
Dotson - NFL given his season
CSB - back to portal?
George - this was his JR year and has not had results like his talent from FR year - portal?
Depth very limited - Washington, KLS, TJ, Meiga, not much else

TE
Kuntz - doesn't play much but seems like good potential - portal? does the staff find a way to use him like red zone WR?
Depth good - Strange and Johnson were pleasant surprises, plus more help coming.

RB
Ford - injured and not a great season. hard to figure his direction.
Lovett - new guy for a year looks good.
Depth - Lee and Holmes look good
still not a deep RB room with no recruits

QB
Clifford - having just completed SR year, he could move on but not likely
Levis - depends on if they get QB in the portal - then Levis may hit portal
Roberson - Johnson already left, so depednding on Cliffor/Levis, he may hit portal?
This group is deep but could lose it quickly depending on decisions

DE
Toney, Oweh and Simmons - try NFL or just real life
Isaac, Tarburton and Vilbert left from experienced group.
Mostella - did he even play this year?
No depth - Culpepper was recruited as a 4* DE but never played that position

DT
Shelton - NFL or portal? not sure why he wanted to leave other than this was his SR year
Culpeper - moving to portal after his JR year, which was okay. We need DEs and that is what he was
Hansard was a senior - does he move on?
Mustipher - NFL?
Ellies, Beamon and Izzard are back unless portal
Hawkins and Bravard - did not see them play - portal?
depending on further decisions this depth is okay - not great

LB
Luketa - JR so could try NFL - cant see that as a good move by him, but who knows
Brooks - SR so could try NFL or take his 5th year - not seeing NFL for him now
Katshir - JR see him staying as long as he sees avenue to play
Smith, Dixon and Jacobs - should have no reason to leave
Elsdon and Fisher - staying put - will be solid players
this position group looks good

CB
TCF - hasnt played a lot the last two years - NFL?
Donovan Johnson - not played much - portal?
Wilson, Hard, Porter, Ellis - seem set for 2 deep
roster shows other guys, but have not seen them play
depth okay - not great

Safety
Wade and Brisker to NFL
Sutherland - he was a SR but has a year left - ??
Gordon - already went to portal
Brown - a JR this year who did not get a lot of PT - portal?
Rudolph - stays
very thin group

ST
Pinegar - back for SR year in 2021
Stoudt - gone
Forrest backup who we have not seen
Checca and Hilling have strong legs for long KO (we have become accustomed to the no return)
Punting a big hole - this really needs to be addressed
incoming players may play a role
Return game - we can find those players in our skill group

I hate to say it but looking at that list, especially if Dotson leaves, there are major holes at DE, Safety, and WR. Same at DT if Mustipher would go and OL if Walker goes. The portal is critical

Johnson left because Roberson was in the same class and ahead of him on the depth chart. Until Bowens or Vielleux passes him, I'm not sure why Roberson would leave.
Ford should be in the rotation next year, and Cain should be back from injury. After that, you have Lee, Lovett, and Holmes. There's plenty of depth at RB.
I can't say I'm worried about depth at WR, either. I think Dotson makes more money by waiting a year, but even if he doesn't come back, I like what I see in the two frosh who got a lot of PT this year. Beyond that, I am not writing off Black, Meiga, and Dottin because they didn't play their first year in the program, and I like White and Clifford from this year's class.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
with players making decisions on their lives, how do you feel we are set in 2021 for each position group? seems like 4*/5* players who doe not see good PT during their first/second year are now portal bound at every school.

OL
Depth seems pretty decent - Wallace, Miranda, Holmes, Effner, Wormley, Scruggs, Fashanu and other younger players plus Walker and Thorpe if they return

WR
CSB - back to portal?
George - this was his JR year and has not had results like his talent from FR year - portal?

TE
Kuntz - doesn't play much but seems like good potential - portal? does the staff find a way to use him like red zone WR?
Depth good - Strange and Johnson were pleasant surprises, plus more help coming.

RB

QB
Roberson - Johnson already left, so depednding on Cliffor/Levis, he may hit portal?

DE

DT
Shelton - NFL or portal? not sure why he wanted to leave other than this was his SR year
Culpeper - moving to portal after his JR year, which was okay. We need DEs and that is what he was
Mustipher - NFL?

LB
Luketa - JR so could try NFL - cant see that as a good move by him, but who knows

CB
depth okay - not great

Safety
Wade and Brisker to NFL
Rudolph - stays
very thin group

ST
Stoudt - gone
Checca and Hilling have strong legs for long KO (we have become accustomed to the no return)
You left Cain off of your RB list.
You left Jennings off your Safety List

Would really like to see Smith tried @ DE. He'd have Bulk up. If he can't bulk up, he, like Oweh would struggle against the run.
I still like Tarburton @ DE because of his ability to set the edge against the run. Not a great pass rusher, but we need to stop the run first.

Hoping Walker returns @ LT. He needs another year and can really raise his draft stock.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Johnson left because Roberson was in the same class and ahead of him on the depth chart. Until Bowens or Vielleux passes him, I'm not sure why Roberson would leave.
Ford should be in the rotation next year, and Cain should be back from injury. After that, you have Lee, Lovett, and Holmes. There's plenty of depth at RB.
I can't say I'm worried about depth at WR, either. I think Dotson makes more money by waiting a year, but even if he doesn't come back, I like what I see in the two frosh who got a lot of PT this year. Beyond that, I am not writing off Black, Meiga, and Dottin because they didn't play their first year in the program, and I like White and Clifford from this year's class.
I’m not writing any WR off but the reality is you would have Washington and KLS, who caught 15 passes. A lot of unknowns again at wideout

Reactions: ChiTownLion

OL

WR
CSB - back to portal?

TE

RB

QB

DE

DT
Mustipher - NFL?

LB

CB
depth okay - not great

Safety
Wade and Brisker to NFL
Rudolph - stays
very thin group

ST
Stoudt - gone
I thought Stoudt woukdbe a redshirt Senior in 2021? He could return and improve his punting.

Franklin recruited Culpepper to play DT. Who cares what the recruiting services project a player at.

Vanover played some this past season at both DT and DE. So he might be a candidate to play DE if that position is still light on numbers when the dust settles from the 2021 class and the portal.

Even if Dotson leaves, Washington and Lambert form a deeper nucleus that what was known coming into 2020. And there are a good number of young WR's that have the potential to break out as Washington did this season, including the 3 true freshman from the 2021 class.

Some depth on the OL, but not much experience after Wallace who is really now a returning starter, and Thorpe who seems to have proven that he is really not going to be a very good B10 olineman. Walker leaving would put a crimp in the development of an improved OL.

LB play should be better, just from the experience the returning players gained this season. And the competition from the developing Jacobs, Elsdon and Fisher should make the unit deeper, if not better.

DE, where a team needs 5+ good players to get through a season, and Safety where there is very limited experience behind Brown who seemed to be the best player behind Brisker and Wade, seem to be the 2 positions where CJF will prioritize players from the portal.

Don’t see how Thorpe to NFL is a realistic option, couldnt even become a consistent starter here.

Also, culpepper is transferring

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT