ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Who is your choice as the next James Bond?

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date

Who is your choice as the next James Bond?

• Damian Lewis

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Idris Elba

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Tom Hardy

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Michael Fassbender

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Orlando Bloom

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Henry Cavill

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Hugh Jackman

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Tom Hiddleston

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Dominic West

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Christian Bale

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
as a fan of the books, I think Craig actually captures the soul of Ian Fleming's Bond better than any previous actor. Bond is a severely flawed and damaged person, lacking self awareness of his own homicidal tendencies.

the problem is that the "new" book bond (Horowitz version.. should i say Horrorwitz?) is of a pc disabled Bond. So ladies and gents, I bring you any wussified actor you want to conjure up. pick one and Bond is DOA.

That said, they called me and asked abt my availability... i had to decline as psu is in deep trouble and needs all my help fixing their issues. sigh... never enough time. :cool:

as a fan of the books, I think Craig actually captures the soul of Ian Fleming's Bond better than any previous actor. Bond is a severely flawed and damaged person, lacking self awareness of his own homicidal tendencies.

Ian Fleming's Bond is actually SCOTTISH - a point that Sean Connery obvious fulfilled and that was alluded to in Skyfall. And he was never some sauve charmer like Roger Moore, but rather more of the rugged, damaged type - with a rough background but typical British education. He's not just a Vesper martini type - he struggled mightily with alcoholism and is a bit worn down and disillusioned (almost PTSD) from his responsibilites/killings. He's not just a fan of the baccarat tables - he has a serious gambling issue. He's also got serious problems with women - until he settles down and gets married and promptly sees his wife murdered.

Bond is a serious depressed, psychotic alcoholic with an addictive personality. MI6 would likely have retired him early if he wasn't so damn valuable an asset.

So who can play that kind of character? I'm with Hardy as #1. Idris Elba would be an awesome new take. I'm just not sure the others can play that kind of gritty...Fassbender being my #3 choice and then its a cliff after that.

And I think Roger Moore was the WORST of the Bonds. He was the Michael Bay version of James Bond. He was the Joel Schumacher version of James Bond. It was just starting to turn into a silly cartoon for a bit there.

You knew Craig nailed it when after getting into a fight to the death with one of Chiffre's men, he asked for a vodka martini and the bartender asked him "shaken or stirred" and his response was classic - "Do I look like I give a damn?!"

Eva Green might be the best modern Bond girl...

Ian Fleming's Bond is actually SCOTTISH - a point that Sean Connery obvious fulfilled and that was alluded to in Skyfall. And he was never some sauve charmer like Roger Moore, but rather more of the rugged, damaged type - with a rough background but typical British education. He's not just a Vesper martini type - he struggled mightily with alcoholism and is a bit worn down and disillusioned (almost PTSD) from his responsibilites/killings. He's not just a fan of the baccarat tables - he has a serious gambling issue. He's also got serious problems with women - until he settles down and gets married and promptly sees his wife murdered.

Bond is a serious depressed, psychotic alcoholic with an addictive personality. MI6 would likely have retired him early if he wasn't so damn valuable an asset.

So who can play that kind of character? I'm with Hardy as #1. Idris Elba would be an awesome new take. I'm just not sure the others can play that kind of gritty...Fassbender being my #3 choice and then its a cliff after that.

And I think Roger Moore was the WORST of the Bonds. He was the Michael Bay version of James Bond. He was the Joel Schumacher version of James Bond. It was just starting to turn into a silly cartoon for a bit there.

You knew Craig nailed it when after getting into a fight to the death with one of Chiffre's men, he asked for a vodka martini and the bartender asked him "shaken or stirred" and his response was classic - "Do I look like I give a damn?!"

Eva Green might be the best modern Bond girl...

well SPOILER ALERT . . .

in the books he DOES choke Blofeld to death with his bare hands (rather graphically IIRC) . . . he was a very brutal, damaged person. I loved how Fleming made the damage cumulative. His torture at the hands of Le Chiffre carries forward in the subsequent books. he takes a pretty severe beating in "Man With the Golden Gun" . . . but it is almost like he welcomes the violence. the tuxedo and the champagne are carefully constructed facades. he revels in the murder, sanctioned by her Majesty's government.

the "martini" moment in CR was priceless. for all the nods they gave to previous Bond films, this was the middle finger Craig needed to give to make Bond his own.

it is kind of ironic that you (somewhat rightfully) trash Roger Moore, when there was a recent online discussion about the scene in FYEO when he kicks the car driven by Locque off the side of a cliff, in cold blood. Moore initially refused to do the scene. But the producers insisted it was consistent with Bond's character.

Right! Same for Tom Hardy and Michael Fassbender!

(Hardy on right, Fassbender on left)

band-of-brothers-why-we-fight-fassbender-hardy.jpg

Wow, it's been a couple years since I've watched BoB, but I've seen it a good 10 times and didn't know Hardy and Fassbender were in it (guess last I watched was before both really broke out.)

Fassbender could also be considered best known as Master Epps... brutal to watch, had to be hard to play.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Also, I voted Elba, and not because I think it's PC, important to be diverse or inclusive or any such nonsense. Just because I think he'd be awesome in the role, as he is in anything. He can play classy/sophisticated just as well as he can play tough.

Sorry Hugh Jackman was born to play Wolverine. I don't think any other actor could nail the role the way Jackman did. Problem is Wolverine's internal struggles are so vastly different to Bond's. While I'm sure he would be an awesome Bond, his iconic role will always be Wolverine.

Reactions: simons96
Wow, it's been a couple years since I've watched BoB, but I've seen it a good 10 times and didn't know Hardy and Fassbender were in it (guess last I watched was before both really broke out.)

Fassbender could also be considered best known as Master Epps... brutal to watch, had to be hard to play.

Fadssbender was fantastic in that - very difficult to watch though.

I consider myself a hugh BoB fans and had no clue they were in it...

learn something new everyday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT