ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Rankings

Ian

Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
State College, Pa
It seems every year someone is supposed to dethrone the king. Cornell, O$U, Okie State, and now Iowa. Is it wishful thinking on the part of the prognosticators? A bias? A dishing of the incredible program that has been built in SC?

But each year the same scenario plays out. The PSU squad always is on a steady ascend and always seems to peak at the right time. Has Cael found the secret sauce? Others just seem to burnout in the end. Pressure, cutting weight, upsets, injury, etc. it rarely seems to hit PSU. Ten years now. The sequence remains the same.

Any reason for it not to continue? It’s rarely spoken of on other sites. We’ve/ we are witnessing something extremely remarkable in today’s wrestling world. The sustainability in such a competitive environment is incredible. Unheralded?

I for one am excited to see what the PSU lower weights (25-57) will achieve this year. I believe they will be outstanding especially when tournament time arrives. The top weights are, again, a murders row. And its depth is scary. Team 2 could rank with the best, too.

Can’t wait for the journey to begin.

It seems every year someone is supposed to dethrone the king. Cornell, O$U, Okie State, and now Iowa. Is it wishful thinking on the part of the prognosticators? A bias? A dishing of the incredible program that has been built in SC?

But each year the same scenario plays out. The PSU squad always is on a steady ascend and always seems to peak at the right time. Has Cael found the secret sauce? Others just seem to burnout in the end. Pressure, cutting weight, upsets, injury, etc. it rarely seems to hit PSU. Ten years now. The sequence remains the same.

Any reason for it not to continue? It’s rarely spoken of on other sites. We’ve/ we are witnessing something extremely remarkable in today’s wrestling world. The sustainability in such a competitive environment is incredible. Unheralded?

I for one am excited to see what the PSU lower weights (25-57) will achieve this year. I believe they will be outstanding especially when tournament time arrives. The top weights are, again, a murders row. And its depth is scary. Team 2 could rank with the best, too.

Can’t wait for the journey to begin.
One day, this ride will end. Could it be this year? Kind of doubt it. Either way, it is a privilege to be able to watch and see.

Was kind of surprised verk wasn't even mentioned at 149. He is very solid and noticeably better than many inclusions in that top 20

PSU has had its share of late-season adversity with injury and upset during its run. And I don't really see the team on a "steady ascend" to a peak each year (they have tended to blow the doors off the barn right out of the gate most years).

The "secret sauce", so to speak, has been a rather consistent ability to recognize and land, in quantity, high-level recruits that will thrive under the staff's system. That recruiting and mentoring success has translated into a business model of getting 4 or 5 guys into the finals most years. That is what has enabled PSU to overcome late-season adversities, as the team is seldom in a position where loss or underperformance of a single guy will be a determining factor in the team race. Most other contending teams need all of their guys to perform at NCAAs to be in position to take the title.

That all said, PSU did need a little help in 2014 (Gwiz) and 2018 (Conel), and we all know what happened in 2015. And Q's sudden turnaround in 2011 was quite the saving moment. So, PSU hasn't been crushing the competition most of the time during the past 9 years.

Yes, this staff is something special, but we would not have witnessed the current dynasty if the recruiting prowess is taken out of the equation. Having the correct horses in the barn, and lots of them, remains the #1 ingredient for success.

PSU has had its share of late-season adversity with injury and upset during its run. And I don't really see the team on a "steady ascend" to a peak each year (they have tended to blow the doors off the barn right out of the gate most years).

The "secret sauce", so to speak, has been a rather consistent ability to recognize and land, in quantity, high-level recruits that will thrive under the staff's system. That recruiting and mentoring success has translated into a business model of getting 4 or 5 guys into the finals most years. That is what has enabled PSU to overcome late-season adversities, as the team is seldom in a position where loss or underperformance of a single guy will be a determining factor in the team race. Most other contending teams need all of their guys to perform at NCAAs to be in position to take the title.

That all said, PSU did need a little help in 2014 (Gwiz) and 2018 (Conel), and we all know what happened in 2015. And Q's sudden turnaround in 2011 was quite the saving moment. So, PSU hasn't been crushing the competition most of the time during the past 9 years.

Yes, this staff is something special, but we would not have witnessed the current dynasty if the recruiting prowess is taken out of the equation. Having the correct horses in the barn, and lots of them, remains the #1 ingredient for success.
The thrive part? That's a culture and trust thing too--both underappreciated components of the recipe. You can put good meet in your stew, but without the right seasoning and care, it just becomes broth.

Reactions: slushhead
Other boards seem to focus on the 'Cael can recruit, but as a coach....?' What a Joke! We're are so blessed to have that man in our corner. By most measures especially in the past few years in particular, on paper tOSU has out recruited us. They have fielded some unreal teams, with talent at every weight class, only in the end to fall short. Cael has an unbelievable eye towards talent, where he can develop quality over quantity into a point generating machine.

It's pretty entertaining to read HR, and to see all the off season hype, with even Flo listing Iowa as the pre season #1 since the moment Cassar was crowned. That is, only until they have run the projected tourney numbers now that they have ranked the kids. Miraculously we are back where we belong. Wait until Berge makes his jump and maybe just maybe Verk or Teske can eye the last AA spot. Then all hopes will be dashed.

National championships aside, over the past decade, if we were only in the hunt for top three every year, I would be just as happy because of Cael. I admire him so much as a man, as a coach, as a leader, as an example. Faithful and humble to the core, with the heart that pumps the blood of a champion.

Maybe 10 years from now we are coached by DT and still winning championships, but I remain so thankful we have such a rare human being leading our program today.

Other programs have the twin Tasmanian devil's twirling like tornados and parading around the mat like it's Barnum and Bailey's circus, or a man coming up with silly slogans or themes like it is the MTV awards, while Cael plods along with his 8 national championship trophies in a pile in the corner of his office. I will take humility every day, over hype and histrionics.

All eras come to an end and I commit to appreciating every second, taking nothing for granted every time I see the bald head and strong jaw line of the best wrestling coach I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Good post, Slush. I was thinking the same thing about injury. With D Alton, Nevills, Suriano, Nolf, Rasheed in recent years, along with some lesser injuries--Joseph, RBY etc. I think we've had as much or more than most. Ok St has had a rough time with injuries the past couple of seasons.

Reactions: slushhead
The thrive part? That's a culture and trust thing too--both underappreciated components of the recipe. You can put good meet in your stew, but without the right seasoning and care, it just becomes broth.

Yes -- though not explicitly stated, that was my intended implication.

Reactions: nerfstate
So what you're saying is that it's important to be the National Runner-Up of Recruiting?

Good post, Slush. I was thinking the same thing about injury. With D Alton, Nevills, Suriano, Nolf, Rasheed in recent years, along with some lesser injuries--Joseph, RBY etc. I think we've had as much or more than most. Ok St has had a rough time with injuries the past couple of seasons.

Thankfully none of the injuries involved gun shot wounds. Oh shoot, wrong thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT