ADVERTISEMENT

Football PRESS RELEASE: PENN STATE ATHLETICS NAMES OAK VIEW GROUP ITS FIRST EXTERNAL FOOD & BEVERAGE PARTNER

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
STATE COLLEGE, PA. (July 23, 2024) – Penn State University Athletics today announced a landmark partnership with Oak View Group (OVG) and its OVG Hospitality division to become its first food and beverage partner to expand and enhance the offerings across multiple Intercollegiate Athletics facilities.

Through a multi-year partnership, OVG Hospitality will bring a reimagined customer service approach to several Penn State Athletics venues, including Beaver Stadium, the second-largest stadium in the country, and Pegula Ice Arena. With a focus on providing the ultimate fan experience, OVG Hospitality is prioritizing several investments in the food and beverage program. Plans include enhancing the premium experience in suites and clubs, expanding concession locations, increasing food & beverage personnel, and introducing technology to streamline ordering and payment processes to reduce lines and wait times. Additionally, OVG Hospitality will introduce new menu selections and market concepts throughout the year.

In preparation for the 2024 season at Beaver Stadium, new food and beverage markets will be unveiled along with the expanded menu selections and improved premium guest services.

“The future of our food and beverage is exciting as we enter into this transformational partnership with OVG,” said Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Patrick Kraft. “OVG is one of the great hospitality providers in the country and will bring a level of excellence to our expanded and enhanced food and beverage options at our facilities. We are also thrilled to have OVG leading the charge of our Performance Dining Center for our student-athletes when it opens in the Greenberg Indoor Sports Complex in the coming years.”

OVG Hospitality will integrate its industry-leading services across multiple athletics venues, enhancing all Penn State game-day experiences. This initiative will provide fans with high-quality dining options and utilize local, regional, and national partners on menu items that reflect the local culture.

Venues to include:
· Beaver Stadium
· Pegula Ice Arena
· Recreation Building (Rec Hall)
· Multi-Sport Facility & Horace Ashenfelter III Indoor Track
· Jeffrey Field
· Nittany Lion Softball Park
· Panzer Stadium
· Field Hockey Complex
· Blue and White Golf Courses Nineteenth Hole Café
· Performance Dining at Greenberg Indoor Sports Complex

“We are excited to partner with one of the most respected and ambitious college athletics programs in the nation,” said Chris Granger, President, OVG360. “We look forward to collaborating with our partners at Penn State to set a new standard that will redefine the game day experience for Nittany Lion fans. Our shared commitment to culinary excellence and community impact will be showcased through elevated food and beverage offerings, an authentic focus on sustainability, and meaningful local partnerships. We are honored to be a part of the Penn State family and eager to begin this work together."

As part of the partnership, Penn State will become GOAL’s first university member. GOAL, Green Operations & Advanced Leadership, is a membership network focused on elevating sustainability for arenas, stadiums, convention centers, cultural institutions, and other large-scale venues, of which Oak View Group is one of the founding partners. GOAL will collaborate with Penn State’s sustainability team to quantify the university’s carbon footprint, identify opportunities for waste reduction and energy efficiency, and help align the Athletic facilities’ operational efforts with the university’s robust sustainability goals. GOAL will also support OVG Hospitality’s sustainability efforts, including a focus on food waste reduction and the avoidance of single-use plastic.

“We see tremendous opportunity to enhance all facets of food and beverage operations throughout Nittany Lion athletic venues,” added Ken Gaber, President of OVG Hospitality. “Drawing from our extensive experience managing operations at numerous major collegiate venues nationwide, we are poised to tailor our expertise specifically to the Penn State fanbase.”

# # #
About Penn State Athletics
Under the leadership of Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Patrick Kraft, Penn State has one of the nation's most comprehensive and successful athletic programs, featuring 800 student-athletes across 31 varsity programs (16 men's, 15 women's). The Nittany Lions' 31 programs are tied for the fourth-highest number of sports sponsored by a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) institution.

Penn State student-athletes earned a record 93% NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GSR) and 12 programs earned perfect 100% ratings in the 2023 report. This is the seventh consecutive year the Nittany Lions have posted a record or record-tying performance in the classroom. Penn State is one of only six schools that have won at least 10 NCAA Championships since 2013 and earned at least a 90 percent Graduation Success Rate (GSR) in the 2023 NCAA report (California, Florida, Stanford, USC, Virginia).

About Oak View Group
Oak View Group (OVG) is the global leader in live experience venue development, management, premium hospitality services, and 360-degree solutions for a collection of world-class owned venues and a client roster of arenas, stadiums, convention centers, music festivals, performing arts centers, and cultural institutions. Founded by Tim Leiweke and Irving Azoff in 2015, OVG is the leading developer of major new venues either open or under development across four continents. Visit OakViewGroup.com, and follow OVG on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and X.

Looks like they do Citizens Bank Park. Anyone who goes to Phillies games, how is the food?

Looks like they do Citizens Bank Park. Anyone who goes to Phillies games, how is the food?

Hey that's me! The food is solid, I tend to stay to the cheaper options but there's a lot of good food there as well.

Hey that's me! The food is solid, I tend to stay to the cheaper options but there's a lot of good food there as well.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841
STATE COLLEGE, PA. (July 23, 2024) – Penn State University Athletics today announced a landmark partnership with Oak View Group (OVG) and its OVG Hospitality division to become its first food and beverage partner to expand and enhance the offerings across multiple Intercollegiate Athletics facilities.

Through a multi-year partnership, OVG Hospitality will bring a reimagined customer service approach to several Penn State Athletics venues, including Beaver Stadium, the second-largest stadium in the country, and Pegula Ice Arena. With a focus on providing the ultimate fan experience, OVG Hospitality is prioritizing several investments in the food and beverage program. Plans include enhancing the premium experience in suites and clubs, expanding concession locations, increasing food & beverage personnel, and introducing technology to streamline ordering and payment processes to reduce lines and wait times. Additionally, OVG Hospitality will introduce new menu selections and market concepts throughout the year.

In preparation for the 2024 season at Beaver Stadium, new food and beverage markets will be unveiled along with the expanded menu selections and improved premium guest services.

“The future of our food and beverage is exciting as we enter into this transformational partnership with OVG,” said Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Patrick Kraft. “OVG is one of the great hospitality providers in the country and will bring a level of excellence to our expanded and enhanced food and beverage options at our facilities. We are also thrilled to have OVG leading the charge of our Performance Dining Center for our student-athletes when it opens in the Greenberg Indoor Sports Complex in the coming years.”

OVG Hospitality will integrate its industry-leading services across multiple athletics venues, enhancing all Penn State game-day experiences. This initiative will provide fans with high-quality dining options and utilize local, regional, and national partners on menu items that reflect the local culture.

Venues to include:
· Beaver Stadium
· Pegula Ice Arena
· Recreation Building (Rec Hall)
· Multi-Sport Facility & Horace Ashenfelter III Indoor Track
· Jeffrey Field
· Nittany Lion Softball Park
· Panzer Stadium
· Field Hockey Complex
· Blue and White Golf Courses Nineteenth Hole Café
· Performance Dining at Greenberg Indoor Sports Complex

“We are excited to partner with one of the most respected and ambitious college athletics programs in the nation,” said Chris Granger, President, OVG360. “We look forward to collaborating with our partners at Penn State to set a new standard that will redefine the game day experience for Nittany Lion fans. Our shared commitment to culinary excellence and community impact will be showcased through elevated food and beverage offerings, an authentic focus on sustainability, and meaningful local partnerships. We are honored to be a part of the Penn State family and eager to begin this work together."

As part of the partnership, Penn State will become GOAL’s first university member. GOAL, Green Operations & Advanced Leadership, is a membership network focused on elevating sustainability for arenas, stadiums, convention centers, cultural institutions, and other large-scale venues, of which Oak View Group is one of the founding partners. GOAL will collaborate with Penn State’s sustainability team to quantify the university’s carbon footprint, identify opportunities for waste reduction and energy efficiency, and help align the Athletic facilities’ operational efforts with the university’s robust sustainability goals. GOAL will also support OVG Hospitality’s sustainability efforts, including a focus on food waste reduction and the avoidance of single-use plastic.

“We see tremendous opportunity to enhance all facets of food and beverage operations throughout Nittany Lion athletic venues,” added Ken Gaber, President of OVG Hospitality. “Drawing from our extensive experience managing operations at numerous major collegiate venues nationwide, we are poised to tailor our expertise specifically to the Penn State fanbase.”

# # #
About Penn State Athletics
Under the leadership of Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Patrick Kraft, Penn State has one of the nation's most comprehensive and successful athletic programs, featuring 800 student-athletes across 31 varsity programs (16 men's, 15 women's). The Nittany Lions' 31 programs are tied for the fourth-highest number of sports sponsored by a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) institution.

Penn State student-athletes earned a record 93% NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GSR) and 12 programs earned perfect 100% ratings in the 2023 report. This is the seventh consecutive year the Nittany Lions have posted a record or record-tying performance in the classroom. Penn State is one of only six schools that have won at least 10 NCAA Championships since 2013 and earned at least a 90 percent Graduation Success Rate (GSR) in the 2023 NCAA report (California, Florida, Stanford, USC, Virginia).

About Oak View Group
Oak View Group (OVG) is the global leader in live experience venue development, management, premium hospitality services, and 360-degree solutions for a collection of world-class owned venues and a client roster of arenas, stadiums, convention centers, music festivals, performing arts centers, and cultural institutions. Founded by Tim Leiweke and Irving Azoff in 2015, OVG is the leading developer of major new venues either open or under development across four continents. Visit OakViewGroup.com, and follow OVG on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and X.

How else do you fund a new stadium without doubling the prices for food and drinks.

Of course... throw sustainability in the mix and isn't it all worth it?

LdN

Reactions: Ski
I did not realize this is the first concessions outsource at PSU. This is the way of the world, but typically dining and concessions outsourcing is done to save dollars rather than improving quality. To be honest, our stadium food was never very good.

Reactions: Obliviax
I did not realize this is the first concessions outsource at PSU. This is the way of the world, but typically dining and concessions outsourcing is done to save dollars rather than improving quality. To be honest, our stadium food was never very good.

The quality vs. Price won't improve.
This is all about money.

Reactions: Ski
The quality vs. Price won't improve.
This is all about money.
I have to disagree on quality. Having gone to a few events recently, the food quality has gone way up. Yes, you can still get a crappy hot dog for $7.50 but you can also get some incredible foods. Mercedes Benz Stadium, Peach Bowl, was like a market. They even had hard liquor stations selling bourbon and single-grain malt scotch. Link. PNC Park, for Pirates games, is very good. link. Even the Guardians have good food now.

To your point, it is about money. People spending north of a $1,000 for a game (tickets, hotels, food) don't want a $4.00 hot dog. They are willing to pay for the experience. Desert Perogies and a Primante Sandwich is perfect.

The Beav has been way behind in this for several years. The venues now concentrate on "the experience" and not just the game. it is an all-encompassing event. The point is that even if you go see the Pirates or Guardians get beaten, you will still enjoy "the experience".

I’m not sure what OVG does at CBP, but Aramark is the primary food service concessionaire at CBP…..not sure if OVG is either a partner with Aramark in some food capacity or they perform non food services such as facilities or venue management, but Aramark does the food and have been doing it since the park opened in 2004.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
If Penn State was smart then as part of the contract negotiations they should have gotten this company to commit to an annual NIL donation. You want to be our food and beverage vendor? Great, part of earning this contract is supporting our NIL. Request a couple million from them annually maybe more.

If Penn State was smart then as part of the contract negotiations they should have gotten this company to commit to an annual NIL donation. You want to be our food and beverage vendor? Great, part of earning this contract is supporting our NIL. Request a couple million from them annually maybe more.
Maybe they did. But I'd have to believe that that kind of overt pressure would be some kind of procurement and/or recruiting violation.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Maybe they did. But I'd have to believe that that kind of overt pressure would be some kind of procurement and/or recruiting violation.
Maybe but business is business. To me this is like a sponsorship and part of your sponsorship money goes to support NIL.

I read these board mods whine that we are way behind in NIL which I don't totally buy but go with that premise. So we need to be creative in generating revenue and these big companies who make hundreds of millions in profit that want to make money off Penn State sports and Penn State football need to be a source of NIL revenue.

Jacking up you and I for $500 a year is a lousy strategy. I'm not giving money to support some prima donna football player I don't know and never will know. Like they would ever care about me or my family. The rich whales that can drop $50 grand or $100 grand like it is nothing, hit them up.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Sure, then then PSU's costs would rise by the exact same amount as the NIL donation. Not sure why any vendor would agree to this without PSU paying for it.

Sure, then then PSU's costs would rise by the exact same amount as the NIL donation. Not sure why any vendor would agree to this without PSU paying for it.
Penn State needs to figure it out. Both organizations have needs. If they want a contract then they need to support NIL.
It is a corporate sponsorship of PSU sports. Penn State can raise the rights fee. Penn Syaye can charge these vendors what they deem a fair sponsorship cost.

Actually, there have been a lot of very good new food options introduced in the last few years. Farm to Stadium stand has excellent pork and sausage. The sub place (name escapes me) is good. The new pizza is good. Chickies and Pete’s fries….my daughter lives for them. All good additions.

Now, the basic burgers and dogs could use an upgrade. I think the dark/dirty atmosphere in the bowels of the Beav detracts from the food in some odd way.

I think this is a fantastic idea and it can be done in a manner that NIL was intended. For example, collectible beverage cups with different players with a few bucks per cup going to NIL. With the volume that exists at the stadium, the possibilities are substantial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT