ADVERTISEMENT

PSU an early 7.5 favorite over little brother

Note that those aren’t actual lines that can be bet, they are just based on power ratings.

There will be a lot of People getting rich taking Penn State -7.5. Probably even Pitt fans.

I don't know what Army's graduation rate looked like but my initial thought is 28 looks huge against UM. Army had a heckuva year in 2018.
There is an S+P stat called 2nd order wins. It estimates the number of wins a team should have had based on the stats of each game, not the final score. Army has won 3 more games than expected in each of the past 2 seasons. It means that they were most likely a little lucky to win as many games as they did in the past 2 seasons. Their 2nd order win differential was higher than any other team.

For reference, Northwestern was just behind them last year for highest differential (in other words NW won about 3 more games than they should have).

There is an S+P stat called 2nd order wins. It estimates the number of wins a team should have had based on the stats of each game, not the final score. Army has won 3 more games than expected in each of the past 2 seasons. It means that they were most likely a little lucky to win as many games as they did in the past 2 seasons. Their 2nd order win differential was higher than any other team.

For reference, Northwestern was just behind them last year for highest differential (in other words NW won about 3 more games than they should have).

Curious, what was the figure for PSU?

interesting stuff. thanks for posting

do you think that is mostly due to Army's style of play running the triple option?

Any chance it's a night game??
Hope not. The last Pitt game at PSU was an absolute disaster! 330 start and I remember being at Toftrees at 10:30. Looking to park in the yellow lots behind the North stands where we usually park. Never got a parking spot till 3 oclock about a mile from the stadium on the east stands.

interesting stuff. thanks for posting

do you think that is mostly due to Army's style of play running the triple option?
I think it's probably a little bit of style and a little luck. I recall last season that there were several games where they were outplayed and very fortunate to win. They were +10 in turnovers, which is going to help a lot.

This season, they had a win expectancy of only 8% vs Air Force (and won), who plays a similar style, so you can't point to style of play alone. Looking at the stats, I'm not sure why it was only 8%, because it wasn't that much of a mismatch, statistically. However, I actually watched that game and remember thinking that AF looked better and should have won.

I'm not sure how SP calculates win expectancy. I suspect that success rate (gaining 50% of the needed yardage on 1st dn, 70% on 2nd, and 100% on 3rd) has something to do with it, and believe it or not, Army's is low. They are the kind of team that gains 2.5-3 yards almost every play and goes for it on 4th down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT