ADVERTISEMENT

PSU drops 3 spots to justify TCU ranked above Ohio St

I saw multiple projections last night that had TCU staying at #3. They didn’t have anything to do with PSU. No one was thinking about PSU. TCU finished the regular season undefeated and played in a CCG. OSU didn’t. OSU has a better loss but TCU had a close loss in OT (thanks to some really boneheaded coaching decisions). I think it was reasonable to leave them be.

Call me crazy but maybe KSU got moved up because they added a CCG and a conference championship to their resume.
So it was a big deal for the winner, but much ado about very little for the loser (to a 3 loss nobody)?

Reactions: Online Persona
I saw multiple projections last night that had TCU staying at #3. They didn’t have anything to do with PSU. No one was thinking about PSU. TCU finished the regular season undefeated and played in a CCG. OSU didn’t. OSU has a better loss but TCU had a close loss in OT (thanks to some really boneheaded coaching decisions). I think it was reasonable to leave them be.

Call me crazy but maybe KSU got moved up because they added a CCG and a conference championship to their resume.

Funny, I remember a team winning a ccg in 2016 and not jumping ahead of a team with fewer losses, but no ccg appearance, because nothing trumped fewer losses.

It could just be that Penn State's ranking was decided as part of the Rose Bowl's agreement to amend the shifting of the scheduling change from 2026 to 2024, since the Rose Bowl did not want a repeat of Utah vs. Ohio State. They agreed to shift and got PSU in the Rose Bowl. The committee just had to make it look right.

1) The expanded playoffs will fix this - we'll be arguing over which team with two or three losses gets excluded instead.

Yes and no. That drop would have cost us home field in the first round. The expanded playoff has plenty of opportunity for shenanigans outside of who gets in.

3 loss Kstate who has more top 10 wins this year than Franklin has in his entire tenure here? That Kstate?

You are right, no chance they beat us, they haven’t proven them can beat anyone this year, oh wait…..
What top 10 wins do they have besides the game they just eeked out? You aren’t seriously including the Oklahoma win as a real top 10 win are you that would be a bit disingenuous? Their best wins outside of a good revenge game against TCU were at home vs Okie St and at home vs Texas Tech both finishing 7-5. I’m not even sure the TCU win was very impressive, we’ll see if they really deserve their spot against Michigan. My guess is they don’t. The Big 12 is just a horrible conference this year, imagine the Big 10 minus UM & OSU that’s about where they are this year.

Last edited:
Given our schedule, you really shouldn't try to dump on K State. They have better wins than than we do. Who is say we would beat Tulane? They are a better team than Purdue is and they are easily our best win. Every team ahead of us has a better resume as do several teams behind. Chill.
Pitt shit for brains out.

Funny, I remember a team winning a ccg in 2016 and not jumping ahead of a team with fewer losses, but no ccg appearance, because nothing trumped fewer losses.
No one seriously believes we should have been in the playoff in 2016.

Yes and no. That drop would have cost us home field in the first round. The expanded playoff has plenty of opportunity for shenanigans outside of who gets in.
Did you see what the 12 team playoff would look like this year after the final rankings? It's a mess. We would get OSU in the shoe.

As someone stated above the thing that really was brought to light was PSU being dropped to #11. If the expanded playoff was in, you make it, but hardly. Where this gets me, is depending how things play out and where divisions fall across College football, if the 12 team playoff was in, Purdue somehow beats Michigan, they are Conference champ, and an automatic bye to the next round. You would of had a 9-4 team advance. PSU in this scenario and if everything else plays out is probably bumped out at 10-2. I know that there is no way to close every loop hole but the thought that a team with 4 or 5 losses could make it to a bye in the playoffs is crazy to me. I wish they would have put a limit on the number of losses a team could have before they qualified for a bye if they won a conference championship. I get the automatic bids but , gees this is going to get some team that deserves to go booted out by a team that got lucky on one day.

As someone stated above the thing that really was brought to light was PSU being dropped to #11. If the expanded playoff was in, you make it, but hardly. Where this gets me, is depending how things play out and where divisions fall across College football, if the 12 team playoff was in, Purdue somehow beats Michigan, they are Conference champ, and an automatic bye to the next round. You would of had a 9-4 team advance. PSU in this scenario and if everything else plays out is probably bumped out at 10-2. I know that there is no way to close every loop hole but the thought that a team with 4 or 5 losses could make it to a bye in the playoffs is crazy to me. I wish they would have put a limit on the number of losses a team could have before they qualified for a bye if they won a conference championship. I get the automatic bids but , gees this is going to get some team that deserves to go booted out by a team that got lucky on one day.
If you’re living on the edge of the 12 team playoff and don’t get in under your scenario, you can only blame yourself. You’re a 2-3 loss team at that point. If the playoffs had expanded this year, does anyone think we’re a threat to win it all?

I expect the 12-team playoff with the top 4 seeds and byes going to conference champions will finally force Notre Dame to join the Big Ten.

It's likely Clifford's last chance to play football of course he's going to cherish it
I played hockey games at the Civic Arena in high school and it was awesome but it was a playoff game. It still would have been "fun" if it wasn't but it wouldn't have been as special IMO.
A lot of kids probably love bowl games--they get a nice trip, free stuff, etc but in the grand scheme it doesn't mean anything. Doesn't mean they can't enjoy it. Guys still agree to go to the Pro Bowl and play in All Stars game but they don't take it seriously. I see this as the same thing. It's just an experience. They should enjoy it.
But the key takeaway is it means nothing for next year.
Do you think Clifford would rather be getting ready to go to Columbus or Fort Worth this weekend to play for a chance to move on and extend his career?
You are wired different. I sure would never want you as a teammate.

You are wired different. I sure would never want you as a teammate.
Yet I was voted to be a captain as a sophomore in high school. Most competitors want and expect to win. They much rather play in the playoffs than a bowl game. Watch the opt outs and see if they're for playoff or bowl teams. Do you want the spoiler answer for that?

The most troubling part to me is that Penn state went from a solid 8th, to being pushed down to 11th and on the brink of not making the playoffs in a couple years when they expand to 12 teams. I think with the 12 team playoff, almost have to think of doing away with conf champ games. You’ll have 10 teams that can play themselves into or out of the playoffs while other teams sit idle. It made sense with a 4 team playoff. But with 12 teams, it’s just way too many moving parts.

Totally agree on the championship games. They really become superfluous with a 12-team playoff and could gum up the works in a number of ways.

As it is, they're adding potentially three more games to the season for the eventual champion. So a 12-game regular season...a potential 3-game playoff...plus a conference championship? That's crazy...and in no way good for the kids.

Totally agree on the championship games. They really become superfluous with a 12-team playoff and could gum up the works in a number of ways.

As it is, they're adding potentially three more games to the season for the eventual champion. So a 12-game regular season...a potential 3-game playoff...plus a conference championship? That's crazy...and in no way good for the kids.
Yet you want to continue playing glorified scrimmages so conferences make money?

It's whatever the committee wants. No reason to drop PSU 3 spots other than to take away a top 10 win from Ohio St and give TCUs loss better optics with it coming to #9.

Anyone believe that 3 loss K St who lost to Tulane is better than 2 loss PSU? Don't think so. But they didn't want Ohio St at 3 to play Michigan. So they found a way.
With a weekend plus of conference championship games and some upsets or near upsets in them preceding the final rankings before the bowls and playoffs, I would expect a re-review of everything that happened to this point, and greater movement than normal....the same with the bowls, even more so with teams down the rankings.

If you’re living on the edge of the 12 team playoff and don’t get in under your scenario, you can only blame yourself. You’re a 2-3 loss team at that point. If the playoffs had expanded this year, does anyone think we’re a threat to win it all?
But you weren't living on the edge. You were #8 , you went to #11 after the final selection. If your at 10, 11,or 12 then sure your on the edge and the chips fall. You could be 11-1 and not in a conference Championship, and ranked 7th and if a few teams make it to a championship with 3 losses and win their Championship, you could fall to that edge. To me that is a flaw that will bite a good team at some point. As far as a threat to win it all, I never said PSU would have been a threat to win it all. The purpose of the post was the automatic bids for conference champions and where that puts other teams. PSU or not, its going to cost a deserving team at some point. When the likes of an 8-4 Purdue pulls an upset , gets lucky and gets a bye, while a team like Ohio State sitting at 11-1 has to play a playoff game. That to me is an issue.

Yet you want to continue playing glorified scrimmages so conferences make money?

Apples and oranges. The bowls add a potential 13th game for the vast majority of teams.

But now we're talking about a potential 16-game season for two teams, and that's crazy.

Ditch the conference championship games. Their value has always been questionable -- if you doubt that, look at the history of the Big-10 -- and with a 12-team playoff, they truly add nothing.

By the way, not many people, be they players or coaches or fans, would view games like the Rose Bowl as a "glorified scrimmage."

Apples and oranges. The bowls add a potential 13th game for the vast majority of teams.

But now we're talking about a potential 16-game season for two teams, and that's crazy.

Ditch the conference championship games. Their value has always been questionable -- if you doubt that, look at the history of the Big-10 -- and with a 12-team playoff, they truly add nothing.

By the way, not many people, be they players or coaches or fans, would view games like the Rose Bowl as a "glorified scrimmage."
They do. Whether they say it publicly is a different story

We agree about CCGs

FCS does it. Why can't FCS. Hell some HS teams play 15

You suck.pitt
So today we're pretending I'm a Pitt fan--cool
It's honestly just sad you all would rather play in the Rose Bowl than be traveling to Columbus or Fort Worth this weekend in a playoff. Or want bowl games instead of a 24 team playoff which could have seen us hosting Tulsa or UTSA last week before moving on. It's defeatist.

The folly of CCG as they are was on display last Saturday with a 4 loss team playing for the CC and not 1 but 2 top 8 ranked teams watching from their living rooms

The folly of CCG as they are was on display last Saturday with a 4 loss team playing for the CC and not 1 but 2 top 8 ranked teams watching from their living rooms
Yeah, the SEC and Big Ten both had 2 top 8 teams sitting at home while a subpar team played for the title
CCGs, like bowls, are a joke and exist as a money maker.
Only 1 of the P5 championship games was even decent.

What if UNC had beaten Clemson? Or Purdue over Michigan? Or LSU over Georgia? It had already been established that the three undefeated teams were essentially safe. But then suddenly you have teams in the bottom have of the top 25 or unranked trying to play into the playoffs in the extended format. I believe last may the playoff selection committee gave way to have conferences essentially do away with divisions in selecting who will play for a conf championship. But does that mean OSU and Michigan could play each other 3x in one season if the stars align? I can’t see how keeping conf champ games makes sense AT ALL. Kansas St’s resume before Saturday was not that great. And they got a second crack at TCU, who lets be honest, had little to lose unless the frogs got absolutely blown out. Feel like I could just go on and on with bad scenarios with expanded playoff and CCGs. There’s way too much for the underdogs in all these games to gain and little to nothing for the better team to lose in these scenarios.

As someone stated above the thing that really was brought to light was PSU being dropped to #11. If the expanded playoff was in, you make it, but hardly. Where this gets me, is depending how things play out and where divisions fall across College football, if the 12 team playoff was in, Purdue somehow beats Michigan, they are Conference champ, and an automatic bye to the next round. You would have had a 9-4 team advance. PSU in this scenario and if everything else plays out is probably bumped out at 10-2. I know that there is no way to close every loop hole but the thought that a team with 4 or 5 losses could make it to a bye in the playoffs is crazy to me. I wish they would have put a limit on the number of losses a team could have before they qualified for a bye if they won a conference championship. I get the automatic bids but , gees this is going to get some team that deserves to go booted out by a team that got lucky on one day.
Agree, conference championship games need to go or be significantly revised with the 12 team playoff. They might just be gone as it’s adds another game for many of the top 12 teams and delays a playoff.

The crappy divisions needs to go. There is not value in a crappy Big 10 west or ACC coastal ten playing in conference champ games due to goofy division alignment.

With a weekend plus of conference championship games and some upsets or near upsets in them preceding the final rankings before the bowls and playoffs, I would expect a re-review of everything that happened to this point, and greater movement than normal....the same with the bowls, even more so with teams down the rankings.
This wasn't a re-review, it was needing to keep Ohio St from jumping TCU despite TCU losing to a 3 loss team. So they had to take away Ohio St's top 10 road win. Therefore PSU had to be pushed below two 3 loss teams with losses to a non-power 5 and to 6 loss Florida.

What if UNC had beaten Clemson? Or Purdue over Michigan? Or LSU over Georgia? It had already been established that the three undefeated teams were essentially safe. But then suddenly you have teams in the bottom have of the top 25 or unranked trying to play into the playoffs in the extended format. I believe last may the playoff selection committee gave way to have conferences essentially do away with divisions in selecting who will play for a conf championship. But does that mean OSU and Michigan could play each other 3x in one season if the stars align? I can’t see how keeping conf champ games makes sense AT ALL. Kansas St’s resume before Saturday was not that great. And they got a second crack at TCU, who lets be honest, had little to lose unless the frogs got absolutely blown out. Feel like I could just go on and on with bad scenarios with expanded playoff and CCGs. There’s way too much for the underdogs in all these games to gain and little to nothing for the better team to lose in these scenarios.

Exactly right.

But there's yet another equally important consideration: the health and welfare of the players.

I can remember waaay back in the day an argument some made against adding an 11th game to the regular season...and then 15 years ago a similar objection when a 12th game was added: hey, this isn't the NFL, these kids are not professionals...and most never will be.

Now here we are. The athletes are faster and bigger than ever...the injury toll steeper...and we're talking about some of these guys potentially playing 16 games over the course of a season. Something's got to give.

I love that they're finally expanding the playoff, but as a trade-off at least drop the conference championship games. Maybe even think about going back to an 11-game regular season. A pipedream I realize.

Honestly, as a fan I hate this opt-out thing, but I find myself having more and more sympathy for the guys who do it to protect their hoped-for futures. Hell, the coaches, schools, and conferences are clearly in it for the money, so why not the kids.

Maybe it's time to jettison the now tattered nostalgia for the Old Days, drop all remaining pretenses, and simply pay kids to play. I mean, we're halfway there already anyway.

3 loss Kstate who has more top 10 wins this year than Franklin has in his entire tenure here? That Kstate?

You are right, no chance they beat us, they haven’t proven them can beat anyone this year, oh wait…..
Might want to recheck that.

Right. You can survive one loss. Not two. PSU was out of the playoff in 2016 when they lost to Michigan, just like Bama was out this year when they lost to LSU, Clemson was out when they lost to So. Carolina, Oregon was out when they lost to Washington, etc. PSU got to win a conference championship by playing in the CCG in 2016. They weren’t going to overcome 2 losses to get in the playoff.

TCU still only has 1 loss. They’re 12-1, OSU is 11-1. Who has the better record?

Right. You can survive one loss. Not two. PSU was out of the playoff in 2016 when they lost to Michigan, just like Bama was out this year when they lost to LSU, Clemson was out when they lost to So. Carolina, Oregon was out when they lost to Washington, etc. PSU got to win a conference championship by playing in the CCG in 2016. They weren’t going to overcome 2 losses to get in the playoff.

TCU still only has 1 loss. They’re 12-1, OSU is 11-1. Who has the better record?

Who has a better record us or ksu? You justified ksu moving up courtesy of their big 12 championship. That’s what I was responding to and you failed to address it here.

I'm guessing you're going to argue losses matter for the playoffs but not beyond, which is bullshit. The criteria should be consistent across the board.

Is that the burr under your saddles? How this final ranking would affect PSU’s seeding in a 12-team playoff? They’re only seeding a 4-team playoff right now and after that, while they’re trying to rank the teams, they’re also filling bowl slots. I don’t have the time or interest to look at all the moves in the poll and all of the bowl matchups. PSU is playing the PAC-12 champ in the Rose Bowl. I can’t imagine you’d want to be playing in any other bowl. The committee doesn’t make a final poll so whatever ranking is higher, the AP or Coaches poll, is what will go in your media guide.

I’m going to wait and see how they do things in their stupid and ill-conceived 12-team playoff. But if anyone has a reason to be upset by projecting the current rankings on a 12-team playoff, it’s Washington fans. They’re ranked 12th but they’d get bumped for currently 16th ranked Tulane as the 6th highest ranked conference champion. They’d have every reason to be posed. (And PSU would be playing a rematch with OSU in Columbus. Whoopee! What a system.)

Who has a better record us or ksu? You justified ksu moving up courtesy of their big 12 championship. That’s what I was responding to and you failed to address it here.

I'm guessing you're going to argue losses matter for the playoffs but not beyond, which is bullshit. The criteria should be consistent across the board.
You’re playing Utah in the Rose Bowl. Where do you think you should be? At the Sugar Bowl playing Alabama instead of KSU? Or in some other bowl playing KSU so you can settle it on the field?

KSU is 10-3 with a conference championship and a win over a top 5 team. PSU is 10-2, no championship, with a win over, who? Purdue? Auburn? Maryland? They lost twice against top 5 teams. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to rank KSU over PSU.

You’re playing Utah in the Rose Bowl. Where do you think you should be? At the Sugar Bowl playing Alabama instead of KSU? Or in some other bowl playing KSU so you can settle it on the field?

KSU is 10-3 with a conference championship and a win over a top 5 team. PSU is 10-2, no championship, with a win over, who? Purdue? Auburn? Maryland? They lost twice against top 5 teams. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to rank KSU over PSU.

I think they should have been in the playoff in 2016 with a conference championship, win over a top 5 team and the h2h win.

If KSU ranked in front of PSU is justifiable this year, PSU ahead of OSU in 16 is just as justifiable.

You're talking out both sides of your mouth if you're saying more losses matter when its 1 vs 2 but doesnt matter if its 2 vs 3.

I think they should have been in the playoff in 2016 with a conference championship, win over a top 5 team and the h2h win.

If KSU ranked in front of PSU is justifiable this year, PSU ahead of OSU in 16 is just as justifiable.

You're talking out both sides of your mouth if you're saying more losses matter when its 1 vs 2 but doesnt matter if its 2 vs 3.
The committee really only determines the top 4 though. If there was a 12 team playoff this year TCU wouldn't be 3 and we wouldn't be 11

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
I don't see an issue here. Kansas State secured one of the best wins of the season and Utah beat USC twice so should be ahead of them (they aren't in the coaches Poll). I just think this was the result of some teams gaining quality wins that PSU just doesn't have. It doesn't really matter anyway, PSU will get their opportunity to earn a top 10 ranking.

Also, while the committee says the rankings don't reflect match ups, I'm sure that's total BS and I think that's also fine. No one wants to see rematches in the first round. TCU has one more win than OSU so in some ways it makes sense. I do think most think OSU passes the eye test over TCU, but just be honest, the committee and the fans don't want the rematch in the first round.

I don't see an issue here. Kansas State secured one of the best wins of the season and Utah beat USC twice so should be ahead of them (they aren't in the coaches Poll). I just think this was the result of some teams gaining quality wins that PSU just doesn't have. It doesn't really matter anyway, PSU will get their opportunity to earn a top 10 ranking.

Also, while the committee says the rankings don't reflect match ups, I'm sure that's total BS and I think that's also fine. No one wants to see rematches in the first round. TCU has one more win than OSU so in some ways it makes sense. I do think most think OSU passes the eye test over TCU, but just be honest, the committee and the fans don't want the rematch in the first round.
They should. It's better than one in the finals IMO

But you weren't living on the edge. You were #8 , you went to #11 after the final selection. If your at 10, 11,or 12 then sure your on the edge and the chips fall. You could be 11-1 and not in a conference Championship, and ranked 7th and if a few teams make it to a championship with 3 losses and win their Championship, you could fall to that edge. To me that is a flaw that will bite a good team at some point. As far as a threat to win it all, I never said PSU would have been a threat to win it all. The purpose of the post was the automatic bids for conference champions and where that puts other teams. PSU or not, its going to cost a deserving team at some point. When the likes of an 8-4 Purdue pulls an upset , gets lucky and gets a bye, while a team like Ohio State sitting at 11-1 has to play a playoff game. That to me is an issue.
If the 12 team playoff was this year:

Penn State, despite being 3rd best in the Big Ten, looked to be the #4 at large team prior to the conference championship games.

6 highest ranked predicted conference champions in week 14: Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC, Clemson, Tulane

6 predicted at-large berths in week 14: Ohio State, Alabama, Tennessee, Penn State, Kansas State, Utah

There were two upsets in the conference championship games. That dropped Penn State to the final at large team.

6 highest ranked conference champions week 15: Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, Utah, Kansas State, Tulane

6 at-large berths week 15: TCU, Ohio State, Alabama, Tennessee, USC, Penn State

Even being “only” the 3rd best team in the Big Ten, and even after two upsets in the conference championship games, Penn State still would have qualified.

If the 12 team playoff was this year:

Penn State, despite being 3rd best in the Big Ten, looked to be the #4 at large team prior to the conference championship games.

6 highest ranked predicted conference champions in week 14: Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC, Clemson, Tulane

6 predicted at-large berths in week 14: Ohio State, Alabama, Tennessee, Penn State, Kansas State, Utah

There were two upsets in the conference championship games. That dropped Penn State to the final at large team.

6 highest ranked conference champions week 15: Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, Utah, Kansas State, Tulane

6 at-large berths week 15: TCU, Ohio State, Alabama, Tennessee, USC, Penn State

Even being “only” the 3rd best team in the Big Ten, and even after two upsets in the conference championship games, Penn State still would have qualified.
And those rankings would be very different if they're seeding 1-12.

The committee really only determines the top 4 though. If there was a 12 team playoff this year TCU wouldn't be 3 and we wouldn't be 11

I get that. Doesn’t mean I can’t point out the inconsistent logic, which is really the committee’s trademark at this point.

The number of spots they’re playing around with starting in 2 seasons will just give them more opportunities to weigh specific criteria differently depending on the brand, not less.

ADVERTISEMENT