ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PSU Hoops drops tight battle with Miami in Big Ten/ACC Challenge

mralph59

Staff Writer
Staff
Nov 1, 2021
State College, Pennsylvania
Penn State was in it until the end against Miami, but the Nittany Lions suffered another close loss at home Wednesday night. Fourteen turnovers plagued Micah Shrewsberry's crew once again, but they were strong on the glass and in the paint to make it a respectable performance.

More here:

Why is Dredd not an Offensive/Defensive Sub? We got it back to 2 and Miami hits a 3. The 3 was because Dredd was dreadfully slow on the closeout.

Not game-related, but I notice that all college basketball coaches now are dressing casually and not wearing the traditional coat and tie. Does anybody know why this is being done?
It's more of coaches being comfortable out there. Of course the traditional outfit was always the suits, but during the COVID season there was no reason to dress to impress anymore since no one was in the stands and the trend has since carried over into this season.

Reactions: bison13
Why is Dredd not an Offensive/Defensive Sub? We got it back to 2 and Miami hits a 3. The 3 was because Dredd was dreadfully slow on the closeout.

Dread actually brings some physicality of defense which is sorely lacking from the transfers. Scoring wise he is no worse than just about all the transfers who offense performance has been practically nil. Look at the box score in competitive games, if any of the 4 top guys who stayed have an off game offensively it a loss. Dread was 3-8 from 3 pt land best on the team last night, 9 points was 3rd on the team. No transfer player scored more than 5 points.

Interesting aside Pat Chambers team loses game and this board would go crazy.

Assuming portal transfers out of the program would have been minimal, we should have won that game easily last night. Yes people would be going crazy if we lost.

End of the game was a lot like the end of regulation in the LSU game to me.

Harrar had a great night, seemed like he was the only PSU guy playing at times. Same MO as always - long scoreless droughts and just not enough oomph at the end.

Not game-related, but I notice that all college basketball coaches now are dressing casually and not wearing the traditional coat and tie. Does anybody know why this is being done?
I heard on a Villanova game broadcast that there was some kind of vote among coaches.
Jay Wright in a pullover.

Harrar had a great night, seemed like he was the only PSU guy playing at times. Same MO as always - long scoreless droughts and just not enough oomph at the end.
PSU got the ball to Harrar early in the second half and he dominated. He committed his 3rd foul with about 13 minutes to play and was understandably benched. He didn't return until 8 minutes which was too long IMO. I would have brought him back at 10 minutes. While he was out a 5 pt lead turned into an 8 pt deficit.

Interesting aside Pat Chambers team loses game and this board would go crazy.
Pat had 8 years to get better and did not. He was not a good in game coach. Shrewsbury has already shown he is better on game day, he has a roster full of transfers who have yet to gel. In 2 years if his teams look like this, everyone will let him have it.

Dread actually brings some physicality of defense which is sorely lacking from the transfers. Scoring wise he is no worse than just about all the transfers who offense performance has been practically nil. Look at the box score in competitive games, if any of the 4 top guys who stayed have an off game offensively it a loss. Dread was 3-8 from 3 pt land best on the team last night, 9 points was 3rd on the team. No transfer player scored more than 5 points.
I didn't mention offensive production, I am all for him being on the floor when we have the ball. We had a chance to go Offense/Defense with him as we just hit two free throws. He may be a physical defender, I have no clue.

What I do know is he was awfully slow on his rotation last night and thus allowed an open 3 to put Miami back up by 5.

IMO it was the prefect time for an O/D sub and get a longer, quick defender on the court.

Fyi Myles is +20 on the year. The starting lineup with him is +30. No ther lineup is in the positive.
PSU_2021_YTD_PlusMinus_Game7.JPG

We'll see how the full year goes. Pat was never able to do anything even with much better teams than this one. The full B1G season will really shed light on the new guy. If things keep getting better throughout the year, then he is very good. If they stall and we tread water, that is not a good sign
I agree in principle with what you say but I think this year is more or less a pass for Shrewsbury.

The trouble has been, IMO, regardless of coach that Penn State has several basketball hallmarks - extended scoring droughts, blowing big halftime leads against top teams, and fading towards the end of the season.

I am hoping Shrewsbury can break those traits.

I didn't mention offensive production, I am all for him being on the floor when we have the ball. We had a chance to go Offense/Defense with him as we just hit two free throws. He may be a physical defender, I have no clue.

What I do know is he was awfully slow on his rotation last night and thus allowed an open 3 to put Miami back up by 5.

IMO it was the prefect time for an O/D sub and get a longer, quick defender on the court.
Not sure who you put on the floor that will be a better defender. I'm not exactly impressed by the defense being played by the transfers. It not like NCSt was draining 3 all night, they actually shot the three worse than we did all night.

Not sure who you put on the floor that will be a better defender. I'm not exactly impressed by the defense being played by the transfers. It not like NCSt was draining 3 all night, they actually shot the three worse than we did all night.
Im probably wrong because I am not sure what is on the bench. But IMO, in that situation, a 3 is a back breaker. I would have like to have seen someone that may be a little longer and quicker to maybe have a better chance of a hand in the face. I just thought, for an experienced vet, that Dredd got out there really slow.

Pat had 8 years to get better and did not. He was not a good in game coach. Shrewsbury has already shown he is better on game day, he has a roster full of transfers who have yet to gel. In 2 years if his teams look like this, everyone will let him have it.
Agreed. Pat was a frenetic mess on the sideline. Shrew appears cool, and that translates to his players ( stay calm).
He has to turn the whole roster over- the two sophs. don’t seem able to contribute much.
I think it takes at least three years.

Reactions: bison13
Shrew definitely needs to be given a pass for a few years till he gets a group of players that fit the style of play and system he wants to run. This season we are playing with most of the same players as last year so I would not expect the results to be that much different. Leaks hope next years freshman class marks the beginning of a new era of Penn State basketball.

Respect and appreciate John...but in both games he also missed important free throws late which would've helped...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT