ADVERTISEMENT

Football PSU names Deion Barnes new DLine coach

Congrats Deion! I'm confident that he'll do a great job. Elijah Robinson seems do have been doing a pretty good job at Texas A&M, but I think Deion is a better fit. Elijah was a good player at PSU but wasn't near Deion's level. Hopefully that projects to his success as a coach.

Reactions: brupsu
I'm fine with the hire but let's not pretend it doesn't mean Franklin failed to land he guy(s) he wanted.

Great choice!! He is an up and coming star and will work his tail off for Franklin and the program. Great recruiter. Was part of last class recruited by Joe. His mom talked about handwritten letter from Joe when he committed in 2011!! Northeast Philly grad. He held us through the dark days!! Penn State Proud!’

I like Barnes but think this hire reeks of desperation after whiffing on the top five. Robinson was never in the cards.I

I'm so tired of this bs. Such a miserable person. Come across like a fool about 94% of the time and then never once say a positive thing. Wrong about this too. Should go to the OSU board- tired of seeing this on here. Tell me you're an old out of touch curmudgeon without telling me. This is Penn State's very own Jim Kramer-everything said is right out of the rectum.

Congrats to Deion, big opportunity for him and I'm sure he's hungry. I hope he's ready for it. Maybe he is although we cannot say at this point. I suspect his DL will be pretty good this year regardless based on the returnees. My question is how it looks 2 to 3 years from now. I think then we'll start to see a little more of if this was a good hire or not.

I'm so tired of this bs. Such a miserable person. Come across like a fool about 94% of the time and then never once say a positive thing. Wrong about this too. Should go to the OSU board- tired of seeing this on here. Tell me you're an old out of touch curmudgeon without telling me. This is Penn State's very own Jim Kramer-everything said is right out of the rectum.
I mean multiple things can be true, can't they?

Unless you have inside information it is possible that Franklin had other targets which didn't pan out, especially due to the timing of needing to fill the position prior to spring practice.

It's also possible that Barnes will be a great fit and will be a motivator for the guys in the room.

Also this board is like 90% old curmudgeons. 🤣

After some consideration, I am putting Wally on ignore. He joins one other poster, whose name I no longer recall. Endless cynicism wears out my patience.

I mean multiple things can be true, can't they?

Unless you have inside information it is possible that Franklin had other targets which didn't pan out, especially due to the timing of needing to fill the position prior to spring practice.

It's also possible that Barnes will be a great fit and will be a motivator for the guys in the room.

Also this board is like 90% old curmudgeons. 🤣
Ad hominem attacks always makes your argument "stronger" right?

Reactions: Online Persona
No he was promoted from analyst to Defensive Line Coach.

I think that is the point being made. He was a GA and then retained and became an Analyst because they liked him and wanted to keep him in the fold. So, this isn't like they got desperate and took him on; he was someone already on the radar to become a position coach at some point.

I think that is the point being made. He was a GA and then retained and became an Analyst because they liked him and wanted to keep him in the fold. So, this isn't like they got desperate and took him on; he was someone already on the radar to become a position coach at some point.
Yet wasn't their first choice. Why are we spinning this? It's not a bad hire my any stretch but let's be honest

Yet wasn't their first choice. Why are we spinning this? It's not a bad hire my any stretch but let's be honest
No spin. Just responding to the poster who claimed Barnes wasn’t retained as an analyst after his GA tenure expired. We will see how he does soon enough.

No spin. Just responding to the poster who claimed Barnes wasn’t retained as an analyst after his GA tenure expired. We will see how he does soon enough.

You misunderstood what I wrote or I wrote it poorly.

My point: Barnes finished his GA. He then became an analyst. Our DL job opens up and he fills it after at least one person turned it down. Franklin likes him. I just think he's gotten the job quicker than most would have expected.

Can he recruit DL prospects and Philly kids better?

After some consideration, I am putting Wally on ignore. He joins one other poster, whose name I no longer recall. Endless cynicism wears out my patience.
funny, I am the most well informed poster on this board, to include the admins whose job it is to be informed.

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841
You misunderstood what I wrote or I wrote it poorly.

My point: Barnes finished his GA. He then became an analyst. Our DL job opens up and he fills it after at least one person turned it down. Franklin likes him. I just think he's gotten the job quicker than most would have expected.

Can he recruit DL prospects and Philly kids better?
Okay. Apparently he already has done a good job recruiting Philly. Whether that included DL prospects I don’t know. We will find out. Recruiting elite DTs is probably the hardest thing to do since there are not that many of them and the competition is fierce. See Wilkins and Breese both of whom went to Clemson.

Reactions: lazydave841
And the most humble!
My track record is better than any person on this site so who cares. I am not right all the time but way better than anyone else. Ignore what I have to say. Listen. It doesn't matter. The team is what is it.

lol….such hubris. You mentioned PSU whiffed on the top five candidates they went after. You failed to list them. Can you list them?

Doubtful. Only 1 was made public. Could be something behind paywalls, but that info would be out by now.

Reactions: bison13
lol….such hubris. You mentioned PSU whiffed on the top five candidates they went after. You failed to list them. Can you list them?
Not about to tell you who was on the list as nothing is officially confirmed. Ask yourself, if Barnes was top two or three, why did it take so long to announce a hire? Simple questions go a long way sometimes.

Not about to tell you who was on the list as nothing is officially confirmed. Ask yourself, if Barnes was top two or three, why did it take so long to announce a hire? Simple questions go a long way sometimes.
Because James Franklin does his due diligence on a major decision like this. He gets a list of interested top candidates, interviews them, gathers all the information, weighs the Pro's and Cons, and then makes a well educated and thoughtful decision with all the information he's gathered. Once his choice is made, he goes through contract negotions with the candidate. Because it's Spring Break, he waited til the team got back before he announced the hire.

Doing due diligence takes time, but it's something you obvioulsy don't understand. Deion Barnes is a homerun hire when it comes to recruiting, his love for Penn State, experiencing and developing the DL in this program, and the DL players will play their hearts out for him.

Because James Franklin does his due diligence on a major decision like this. He gets a list of interested top candidates, interviews them, gathers all the information, weighs the Pro's and Cons, and then makes a well educated and thoughtful decision with all the information he's gathered. Once his choice is made, he goes through contract negotions with the candidate. Because it's Spring Break, he waited til the team got back before he announced the hire.

Doing due diligence takes time, but it's something you obvioulsy don't understand. Deion Barnes is a homerun hire when it comes to recruiting, his love for Penn State, experiencing and developing the DL in this program, and the DL players will play their hearts out for him.
I am honestly not trying to sound condescending but I think you are giving Franklin way too much credit here. Franklins history with coaching hires suggests he does not make well educated or thoughtful decisions. In all likelihood, Barnes was the fall back option when everyone else fell threw. That meshes with what I have been told by people I trust.

My track record is better than any person on this site so who cares. I am not right all the time but way better than anyone else. Ignore what I have to say. Listen. It doesn't matter. The team is what is it.

You wiffed on hackenberg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT