ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

You are right. It’s getting very messy with all the hammers coming in. In the next few years at 125-133 you will have a jam up too.
Then add in the two Cunningham’s. PSU could have a back up team place top ten

Would be huge but talk about a logjam at 157-165. Levi, Facundo, Messenbrink, and Sealey all there. Great problem to have. Kid is a beast
Sure, I want Messenbrink. Who doesn't? But where does Cael put him? He's not a one year rental. Is Facundo portalling out and its not announced yet? Sealy doing the gray shirt and red shirt? Seems like some pretty good wrestlers are going to sit or leave.

Arguably, for whatever reason(s), Dean Hamiti has not performed as well at NCAAs as he has throughout the year leading to them. It makes some sense to me for him to transfer to PSU.

Evan Wick tried to transfer from Wisconsin. Perhaps the two of them had discussed Evan's reasons and why he was unsuccessful, and Dean learned from it to get his transferring credits in line.

This, or Mesenbrink is learning from both of their experiences.

Last edited:
Sure, I want Messenbrink. Who doesn't? But where does Cael put him? He's not a one year rental. Is Facundo portalling out and its not announced yet? Sealy doing the gray shirt and red shirt? Seems like some pretty good wrestlers are going to sit or leave.
well they gotta beat the best to be the best,even in the room!

I'm telling you, they're going to start running a JV team. Maybe put them in EIWA to give them a better shot at qualifying. That way, Iowa can finish third behind PSU and PSU JV.

Man I went into this year predicting in order of dominance through duals and the tourneys: SVN > Facundo > Haines, with Facundo my favorite recruit.

SVN admittedly gave me some concerns during the duals, and had his challenges during the tourney, but he showed all that next gear is in there. Wow, when he let it fly it was enjoyable to watch. We all hope that jump is permanent next year, he can be impressive.

Facundo has been an enigma. By all accounts he is working very hard, but his offense in particular needs diversity. The backside loss in the tourney was understandable for sure, but the front side? A PSU redshirt hammer takes that match 98% of the time. My concern with bringing in Messenbrink, is Facundo may be the odd man out. Maybe being the only team member to go 0-2, is in his head, and he is leaning back to Michigan? I hope not.

Levi well, nothing more to be said there, as he has the 'it' factor. I kind of hope he redshirts for 1 year, and likely comes back at 165 and becomes a 3xer.

All I can say is my pre season expectations for the trio were a bit off. I lost 2% points on my crystal ball, now down to 39.7% accurate, as audited by Earnst & Young.

PS one has to think that Ben Askren is in Messenbrink's ear. I think he's got a good idea of where he would stand in the pecking order in the PSU lineup and Ben has been very critical of Facundo, not having the it factor.

Last edited:
I had the same reaction to Ben on FRL. Thought it sounded good for Messenbrink. Could also mean that Alex is/want to go up in weight.

Like Max Dean some of the best guys just see where the best place to train for them is and they could care less about who is on the roster. Mesinbrink can also redshirt or Olympic redshirt and train for worlds/Olympics for a year too. Then Carters probably gone. Lot of options on the table if all these guys show up.

Reactions: nitlion6
HWT. Kerk
197. Brooks
185. Barr
174. Facundo (Starocci Oly)
165. Messenbrink
157. Haynes

I'm good with that.

I'm also good with

HWT. Kerk
197. Brooks
185. Barr
174. Starocci
165. Facundo
157. Messenbrink (Haynes RS)

Or

HWT. Kerk
197. Brooks
185. Barr
174. Starocci
165. Messenbrink (Facundo Oly)
157. Haynes

Bottom line as crowded as the lineup is getting up top, there is still a lot of flexibility next year. The real problems seem a year or two out. If Carter takes an Oly and/or comes back for a #5 it gets tougher.

HWT. Kerk
197. Brooks
185. Barr
174. Facundo (Starocci Oly)
165. Messenbrink
157. Haynes

I'm good with that.

I'm also good with

HWT. Kerk
197. Brooks
185. Barr
174. Starocci
165. Facundo
157. Messenbrink (Haynes RS)

Or

HWT. Kerk
197. Brooks
185. Barr
174. Starocci
165. Messenbrink (Facundo Oly)
157. Haynes

Bottom line as crowded as the lineup is getting up top, there is still a lot of flexibility next year. The real problems seem a year or two out. If Carter takes an Oly and/or comes back for a #5 it gets tougher.
Not once, not twice but 3 freaking times

Man I went into this year predicting in order of dominance through duals and the tourneys: SVN > Facundo > Haines, with Facundo my favorite recruit.

SVN admittedly gave me some concerns during the duals, and had his challenges during the tourney, but he showed all that next gear is in there. Wow, when he let it fly it was enjoyable to watch. We all hope that jump is permanent next year, he can be impressive.

Facundo has been an enigma. By all accounts he is working very hard, but his offense in particular needs diversity. The backside loss in the tourney was understandable for sure, but the front side? A PSU redshirt hammer takes that match 98% of the time. My concern with bringing in Messenbrink, is Facundo may be the odd man out. Maybe being the only team member to go 0-2, is in his head, and he is leaning back to Michigan? I hope not.

Levi well, nothing more to be said there, as he has the 'it' factor. I kind of hope he redshirts for 1 year, and likely comes back at 165 and becomes a 3xer.

All I can say is my pre season expectations for the trio were a bit off. I lost 2% points on my crystal ball, now down to 39.7% accurate, as audited by Earnst & Young.

PS one has to think that Ben Askren is in Messenbrink's ear. I think he's got a good idea of where he would stand in the pecking order in the PSU lineup and Ben has been very critical of Facundo, not having the it factor.

Considering that John Mesenbrink is on the Askren Academy staff, I would guess that Askren has a bit of inside info. ;)

From the Askren Academy web site, in-part:

John Mesenbrink

Over 20 years of experience coaching the best of the best

Former high school coach and core influence on both Ben and Max’s careers, Coach John Mesenbrink possesses not only the ability to coach the best of the best with his 20 years of experience, but has also had significant and notable understanding of the sport as both a collegiate athlete and freestyle wrestler himself.

Like Max Dean some of the best guys just see where the best place to train for them is and they could care less about who is on the roster. Mesinbrink can also redshirt or Olympic redshirt and train for worlds/Olympics for a year too. Then Carters probably gone. Lot of options on the table if all these guys show up.
If we get messi rook then I think Carter is taking oly redshirt

Arguably, for whatever reason(s), Dean Hamiti has not performed as well at NCAAs as he has throughout the year leading to them. It makes some sense to me for him to transfer to PSU.

Evan Wick tried to transfer from Wisconsin. Perhaps the two of them had discussed Evan's reasons and why he was unsuccessful, and Dean learned from it to get his transferring credits in line.

This, or Mesenbrink is learning from both of their experiences.
When we were watching Nattys, I said if I were Hamiti, I'd be looking into transferring to PSU. I think he'd make a jump with a year at Penn State under his belt and get over the hump to a championship.

Ben on FRL almost seemed to be hinting unless I read into it too much. Said he knows Levi is staying 157 but can’t say how he knows yet.
I thought the exact same thing. I wasn’t even thinking Messenbrink to PSU was a REAL consideration until I listened to the last FRL. Ben didn’t sound very discreet, but of course, it could’ve been just me listening with bias too…

The Williams brothers are competing at the Ultimate club duals this weekend in St College. Rumors they weighted in wearing PSU singlets. This is a scary thought. Can anyone confirm this

• Haha
Reactions: LHavenlion
I don't think he's bashing -- I think he's very excited at possibly landing the Williams twins.

That said, we've seen the twins recently wearing PSU gear, so there's no real value in knowing what they wore at some weigh-in.
Yes I am very excited to land them they will be good training partners for the starters!so can any of you take a joke but they really aren't PSU material just my thoughts if anyone thinks I am, bashing I apologize!

The Williams brothers are competing at the Ultimate club duals this weekend in St College. Rumors they weighted in wearing PSU singlets. This is a scary thought. Can anyone confirm this
That would be the Williams brothers recruiting Penn State. They have some competitive tendencies that need to be demonstrively dispelled before they are granted entrance.

Why do I think that you are probably the spitting image of Ian?

jethro-jethro-tull.gif

So
Give it a rest man. Bashing on HS kids reflects your character not theirs.
Confirmed. They are at UCD and they did weigh in with singlets that had Penn state on them. I wasn’t talking trash on HS kids. Nice try Jack a$$

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT