ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

Some chatter about Hopke on a Wisconsin message board:

@GogglesPaizano reading about Hopke:

archer-stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif

@GogglesPaizano reading about Hopke:

archer-stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif
Good one as always. I get a sense that Kerk will not exercise his full 2 more years of eligibility. My crystal ball is certified 39.6% accurate by Earnst & Young, up a few points from last month.

Once Kerk wins a national championship the call from WWE will get stronger. I think we squeeze 1 more year out of him and then that's it. HWT may no longer be the gap it seemed with Marisola on the Cassar 10,000 calorie diet for the next 3 years, so I definitely feel better about where we stand than 2 weeks ago.

No doubt Hopke is next level and his timing fits with an early Kerk exit. If we don't get Hopke we may be bummed when we go up against him for years to come.

As for Lilledahl? He and Hopke are our current #1 and #2 must gets now. I lean Hopke having the better career, but to solve 125 for four years would be a huge blessing.

I would be elated with either, but with both in the fold, EJs picture is pretty accurate.

Reactions: Sullivan
Some chatter about Hopke on a Wisconsin message board:

I like this quote from Vir Fortis:

If a certain someone does end up there, just leave that team Trophy in Happy Valley the next 5-6 years. It ain't going anywhere. It's not anyway, but...man. I know the expression is Iron sharpens Iron, but this is more like Diamonds cutting Diamonds.

What a beautiful sight! Luke Lilledahl and Mason Gibson drilling at M2. I have a good feeling Luke will be committing within the next two months
Yeah, and as soon as Mason finished with Luke, he started to toss around with Hopke. Mason rode him for 2 minutes amazing, but ultimately the size difference was too much for him. I can't wait for all three to be in the room daily in 2 years.

Reactions: Goathead88
Now this would be great. I didn’t see Hopke in the room and don’t see Gibson riding him for more than 5 seconds lmao.

Just guessing, but the Wisconsin twins coming to Happy Valley make me believe Hopke isn't.
My concern level for our future HWT is significantly less as a result, but I still want him.

I really loved the Cassar years, and he and Snyder showed what a 225-240 lb heavy can do. That said, that weight is going to be highly competitive for the next 5 years with some big dudes, and I think a top 4 guy will need to be 240-260.

Reactions: crockster
Anyone have any clue if Cael is looking at the Harer boys from Montgomery?
Conner is rumored to be leaning toward Rutger, possibly even skipping his SR year to move there. I don't know if Cael was ever in on him, but we were loaded at his likely weights before landing Sealey.

I'd imagine Cael will keep an eye on Brandt. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with big bro in school.

Reactions: hlstone
Conner is rumored to be leaning toward Rutger, possibly even skipping his SR year to move there. I don't know if Cael was ever in on him, but we were loaded at his likely weights before landing Sealey.

I'd imagine Cael will keep an eye on Brandt. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with big bro in school.
Brandt is the real MF deal. A lot of Jason Nolf in that kid the way he attacks creatively.

Brandt is the real MF deal. A lot of Jason Nolf in that kid the way he attacks creatively.
Yes I have been told by people close to the program that Brandt is by far the better of the 2…..has a very aggressive style

Brandt has been great since he started. He won a boat load of youth medals I think. Might even won a jr High state title.
District 4 is solid with good underclassmen. We will be well represented at Hershey the next few years. Add in Rothermel from Line Mt.

This was brought up at club on Sunday. Can Brandt beat Forest. Can Scottie Johnson beat Gibson.

Brandt has been great since he started. He won a boat load of youth medals I think. Might even won a jr High state title.
District 4 is solid with good underclassmen. We will be well represented at Hershey the next few years. Add in Rothermel from Line Mt.

This was brought up at club on Sunday. Can Brandt beat Forest. Can Scottie Johnson beat Gibson.
No and no.

Those questions aren't very good questions lol

Of our current recruits, which we have a lot, how many of them are “room guys” vs potential starters? I follow @NLwcFan on Twitter and it feels like he follows so many commits. There are obviously blue chippers like Josh Barr but I’m curious about some of the other fellas. For example Branden Wentzel vs Cael Nasdeo…both wrestling 121 in PA. One wrestling for 3rd in state and one wrestling for a championship. Any help is appreciated

Of our current recruits, which we have a lot, how many of them are “room guys” vs potential starters? I follow @NLwcFan on Twitter and it feels like he follows so many commits. There are obviously blue chippers like Josh Barr but I’m curious about some of the other fellas. For example Branden Wentzel vs Cael Nasdeo…both wrestling 121 in PA. One wrestling for 3rd in state and one wrestling for a championship. Any help is appreciated
Wentzel and Nasdeo are probably both room guys. Nasdeo maybe has more upside, in that his results have improved now that he's healthy this year. (Also he beat Wentzel 2x this year.) I don't think either has been on the podium at the big out-of-state events like Fargo or Super 32.

Both are HS 121, need to add muscle before being competitive at college 125.

Perry, Davis, and Barr should be very good D1 starters.

Don't forget Zack Ryder, Joe Sealey, Gibsons, Mirasolas and the list goes on.
The Gibsons might end up as room guys. Erik is in the middleweight logjam. Mason's HS results have not lived up to his JH results, he has had injuries, and he's not the lean/long PSU prototype.

That's not to say they won't be good. If they're room guys, the starters will be very good.

The rest look like very good D1 starters. Cael's gonna have some lineup battles.

Last edited:
PSU is so good right now and has been, wrestlers who could start in most programs come to be room guys. Another term is a really good practice partner. If you do the math, there is ten starting spots. We have piles of light and middle weights coming in. There is a lot of good room guys coming in.

PSU is so good right now and has been, wrestlers who could start in most programs come to be room guys. Another term is a really good practice partner. If you do the math, there is ten starting spots. We have piles of light and middle weights coming in. There is a lot of good room guys coming in.
Also - I don't think anyone intends to be a room guy forever. I imagine they believe with Cael's coaching, they can jump levels and they can be that Anthony Cassar.

Would love to get Sealey here for a BlueShirt year, I think he’s gonna make an immediate impact.
I got chastised for posting a similar question in another thread.

Has anyone heard of Sealey or the Mirasola twins expressing any in heading to M2/NLWC for their senior years? Seems to have worked out pretty well for Haines.

Intermat has probably the most comprehensive list, at least without a paywall.

It doesn't separate by year, but is sortable otherwise.
Thanks. Forgot about that one. I used to look at it all the time. Last update commitments are from December which makes sense.

Impressive list.
08-12-22Penn StateBrendan WentzelMontoursvillePA125
11-24-21Penn StateCael NasdeoWilliamsportPA125
12-22-21Penn StateBraeden DavisDundeeMI133
01-02-22Penn StateJosh BarrDavisonMI174/184
10-31-22Penn StateJoseph Sealey (c/o 2024)Wyoming SeminaryPA165/174
03-27-22Penn StateDalton Perry (c/o 2025)Central MountainPA141/149
09-16-22Penn StateAJ FricchioneBergen CatholicNJ197/285
09-23-22Penn StateZack Ryder (c/o 2024)Minisink ValleyNY184
05-28-22Penn StateTyler KasakBethlehem CatholicPA157
11-19-22Penn StateMason Gibson (c/o 2024)Bishop McCortPA133
02-21-23Penn StateConnor Mirasola(c/o 2024)West Bend WestWI197