ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Wrestling Lineup Projections through 2022

Whatever happens, happens. It's outside my control, so no worry here.

But I will say that anyone that has information such as this as a trusted friend, family member, insider, whatever...and shares it publicly...won't be trusted for long.

Agreed, I also concur with your thoughts in an earlier thread regarding if Lee chooses elsewhere. I too wouldn't panic as we would probably add Teasdale just a year later n maybe still grab a Gable Steveson or a Beard in a few years to address 184/197 needs.

Who did you hear this from? I know you're not a troll. I know at least a few things from your posting history:
1. You went out on a early limb re: Mark Hall
2. There are regular posters who think you may be the mercurial John Doe reincarnated
3. You were bullish on Lee to PSU in November - what changed?

Based on the handle, I would anticipate somebody who is a fan of The Cyclones and PSU, not Iowa - does Doe fit that bill (e.g., fan of both ISU and PSU)?

Whatever happens, happens. It's outside my control, so no worry here.

But I will say that anyone that has information such as this as a trusted friend, family member, insider, whatever...and shares it publicly...won't be trusted for long.
Spencer and his family are very smart; they know all about the wrestling blogs and how information/rumors spread like wild fire on these blogs. They also know the minute they make any decision and tell someone outside of their immediate family, they risk the likelihood that it gets on these boards. Spencer's announcement will have as much attention as Mark Hall's, so why risk having someone, other than Spencer, leak any decision if in fact any decision has been made. Spencer and only Spencer will make that announcement; everything is just rumor and speculation, but it is interesting to speculate.

It should be interesting to see how Michael Beard grows (or doesn't).

I know he's young, but it wouldn't surprise me if he sort of levels out in terms of size.

Willie, lets just say get your popcorn ready for some Singletary vs Beard match-ups next year. You could be right, but I expect him at 195lbs next season for us. Michael's currently practicing freestyle with the high school team under our new freestyle coach, Taylor Walsh (former Indiana Hoosier & National Runner-up). Legendary Coach, Dale Bonsall, and F&M Coach and former Lion, Andrew Alton, have also made guest appearances in the room as coaches the past couple of weeks. The kids are getting some great offseason training.

It is difficult to pass along negative information to a fanatical group. I am in that group of Penn State wrestling fanatics.
I'm disappointed, to say the least, that Spencer Lee committed to Iowa.
To those who were ignorant to my passing along credible information, I understand it was because you were fending off what is distressing or unbearable news.

If they're the same guy, which I disbelieve, then we're talking about someone who flips between 2 unique, anonymous handles on the same board in the same time frame. Devices store login info, so forgetting isn't a good reason.

More likely reason is to separate the good info from the WAGs. In which case, no credibility. Again, IF they're the same guy.

Are we really so desperate for news about a teenager that we'll invent reasons to believe anything that anyone says?

Not that it matters, but I don't believe the first part of your post is accurate. IIRC, the demise of Doe roughly coincided with the genesis of Ames.

Also, not all of us are desperate for news. However, for various reasons, I considered the source was, more likely than not, credible. And, in this case at least, that turned out to be correct.

I have no knowledge of who they might go after but Austin DeSanto has to be a name to watch. I know Lee dismantled him in the finals but he's had some success on the national scene I believe and right class and weight at the moment.

It is difficult to pass along negative information to a fanatical group. I am in that group of Penn State wrestling fanatics.
To those who were ignorant to my passing along credible information, I understand it was because you were fending off what is distressing or unbearable news.
Your post that Lee was headed to Iowa was similar in style to the Marsteller decommiting post. I am convinced that you are the same individual. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the info, I recall you were right about Mark Hall as well.

That said, I don't think pushback to your original post stems from people 'fending off distressing news' so much as their natural inability to ascertain the credibility of an anonymous messenger. Which is only fair, of course: posters claim insider status all the time and what do readers have to distinguish one from the other when there's no name attached? I'm not suggesting you out yourself, but at least appreciate that skepticism is always going to be the response to anon posters with limited posting histories who show up with insider info.

That said, track record does afford a basis to ascertain credibility, and you are 2 for 2. I figured you could've gotten lucky with the Mark Hall call, but the timing of your Spencer Lee post suggests that you're the real deal.

Reactions: CoastFan
I have no knowledge of who they might go after but Austin DeSanto has to be a name to watch. I know Lee dismantled him in the finals but he's had some success on the national scene I believe and right class and weight at the moment.

No inside information but I would be surprised if PSU would be going hard after DeSanto. I'm sure he will end up somewhere, but I just don't see it being PSU. Of course I could be way wrong.

Not trying to rip DeSanto - I actually got into an argument with many over on the HR about 6 months ago defending his wrestling ability and tactics. And he is an Escape the Rock Champ.

It was me who identified you as an HR poster and I was clearly wrong. You're not around much, but I know I had seen you post somewhere before and the Ames handle led me to assume without checking your posting background.

Sorry about that. I did agree with your post though as I have indicated before. Haven't thought Lee was coming here for a long while. I guess we were close, but some kids you just have a feeling with.

No inside information but I would be surprised if PSU would be going hard after DeSanto. I'm sure he will end up somewhere, but I just don't see it being PSU. Of course I could be way wrong.

Not trying to rip DeSanto - I actually got into an argument with many over on the HR about 6 months ago defending his wrestling ability and tactics. And he is an Escape the Rock Champ.
I agree dice...I don't think Cael goes after him...

You are the Real Deal Holyfield of Internet message boards.

Without predicting where he goes, right now I see him as the type of recruit that a VT or NC State tends to target -- nationally ranked state champ caliber guy from a big wrestling state, still overshadowed by some bigger names around his weight. For example, Pete Renda 4 yrs ago. Probably also fits the Lehigh or Cornell mold.

Since he's already a bonus point guy, maybe he could enter the PSU discussion with a Nolf-like summer ... of course that's asking a lot of anyone.

I think his biggest hindrance for PSU is his projected weight. Probably a 133/141 -- say hello to Cortez, Suriano, and Nick Lee. (And Brian Courtney?) If he could somehow hold 125 after Suriano outgrows it, we could do a whole lot worse than him.

Without predicting where he goes, right now I see him as the type of recruit that a VT or NC State tends to target -- nationally ranked state champ caliber guy from a big wrestling state, still overshadowed by some bigger names around his weight. For example, Pete Renda 4 yrs ago. Probably also fits the Lehigh or Cornell mold.

Since he's already a bonus point guy, maybe he could enter the PSU discussion with a Nolf-like summer ... of course that's asking a lot of anyone.

I think his biggest hindrance for PSU is his projected weight. Probably a 133/141 -- say hello to Cortez, Suriano, and Nick Lee. (And Brian Courtney?) If he could somehow hold 125 after Suriano outgrows it, we could do a whole lot worse than him.
Boy I don't envy the coaching staffs, projecting how well a wrestler will adapt to the next level of college wrestling is difficult enough, let alone trying to predict what weight a guy will be through his college career and with only 9.9 scholarships, a couple of incorrect guesses can leave the best laid out plans in ruin. It's a tuff job.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Boy I don't envy the coaching staffs, projecting how well a wrestler will adapt to the next level of college wrestling is difficult enough, let alone trying to predict what weight a guy will be through his college career and with only 9.9 scholarships, a couple of incorrect guesses can leave the best laid out plans in ruin. It's a tuff job.
Absolutely, especially when you add in the life changes (becoming an adult), real world future, pursuit of $$, girls, and everything that comes with the college / life experience. Burn out, commitment (especially at D1 level), injuries, etc., all come into play!

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Absolutely, especially when you add in the life changes (becoming an adult), real world future, pursuit of $$, girls, and everything that comes with the college / life experience. Burn out, commitment (especially at D1 level), injuries, etc., all come into play!

Well Lee already sent out a Save the Date at Gable's barn to marry his high school sweetheart he followed to Iowa City. I thought the girlfriend would influence young Lee, everyone has experienced puppy love.

I agree dice...I don't think Cael goes after him...
DeSanto is going to make visits to Edinboro and potentially Hofstra.
First, He needs to make it through the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Furthermore, Iowa commit Justin Mejia will be hard pressed to pass the requirements of the NCAA Eligibility Center.

If Cortez can hold 133 for two seasons, there is speculation that Nick Lee may be the starter at 141 during his true freshman season.

You can delete Spencer Lee from future Penn State lineup projections. He has decided to attend the University of Iowa.

Nailed it Bro. I was one of those holding out some hope but wish Mr Lee and Mr Teasdale the best of luck. Next man up!!

Reactions: Lyco1990
DeSanto is going to make visits to Edinboro and potentially Hofstra.
First, He needs to make it through the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Furthermore, Iowa commit Justin Mejia will be hard pressed to pass the requirements of the NCAA Eligibility Center.

If Cortez can hold 133 for two seasons, there is speculation that Nick Lee may be the starter at 141 during his true freshman season.

Regardless, after Zain leaves, we need one more wrestler. Suriano, Cortez, and Lee take 3 of 4 lower weights, order unknown. But we'll need an xfer, recruit, or current member of team to fill one of the 4 lower weights.

I've seen mention of Busiello in some threads. But since he's currently a Freshman, he'll still be in HS the first post Zain year.

Question - If Cael gets a xfer from outside of B10, do they still lose a year of Eligibility?

Regardless, after Zain leaves, we need one more wrestler. Suriano, Cortez, and Lee take 3 of 4 lower weights, order unknown. But we'll need an xfer, recruit, or current member of team to fill one of the 4 lower weights.

I've seen mention of Busiello in some threads. But since he's currently a Freshman, he'll still be in HS the first post Zain year.

Question - If Cael gets a xfer from outside of B10, do they still lose a year of Eligibility?

Don't sleep on Luke Gardner, I'd think a year or two in the room would allow him to be a strong candidate.

Maybe. Depends on whether the student-athlete gets a "full release" from the school currently attended, and it's their first transfer.

Must say, transfers are more rare in wrestling than other sports.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/want-transfer

Reactions: Ja1339
Dinmore. People forget he has freshman eligibility this year and he will challenge for a starting spot.

Flagged for "Zain leaves"...

Seriously, would amend to say order partially known. We will need a 125 -- nobody expects Suriano to stay there 4-5 yrs. It's really early to project Busiello there. Case in point: Riley Palmer 106 last year, 138 this year.

Pat Glory (for example) may be more predictable now, SO 113, further down the typical trajectory for a college 125.

Transfers? Who knows, so hard to grasp who might be available, from what schools at what levels, grad students, academic issues for undergrads ...

Austin DeSanto is a damn good wrestler, no he is not Spencer Lee, but he has the potential to be a solid wrestler at the D1 level, with perhaps an outside chance of AA after his first two years.

He would be a good get for us.

No, he is not beating Lee, but damn near nobody else is either. We experienced a huge recruiting loss, and there is no way around it.

Austin DeSanto is a damn good wrestler, no he is not Spencer Lee, but he has the potential to be a solid wrestler at the D1 level, with perhaps an outside chance of AA after his first two years.

He would be a good get for us.

No, he is not beating Lee, but damn near nobody else is either. We experienced a huge recruiting loss, and there is no way around it.
My only comment is we don't know that, until 5 years from now.

I'll say this - just b/c you have information (whether right or wrong)

doesn't mean you should be posting on a message board.

neither Mark nor Spencer wanted the cat out of the bag.

call me self serving if you wish. but it's true. it threatens to 1) rain on their parade/limelight (which they've earned) in announcing and 2) causes calls from other coaches that they'd rather not deal with.

i get it. you know something and want to share with everyone. but the wrestlers are in a tough position of wanting to respect the runners-up coaches by letting them know themselves while at the same time wanting to announce it on their own.

i don't fault or blame anyone for posting these things - just saying it's something to consider when you're itching to drop something on a message board.

I'll say this - just b/c you have information (whether right or wrong)

doesn't mean you should be posting on a message board.

neither Mark nor Spencer wanted the cat out of the bag.

call me self serving if you wish. but it's true. it threatens to 1) rain on their parade/limelight (which they've earned) in announcing and 2) causes calls from other coaches that they'd rather not deal with.

i get it. you know something and want to share with everyone. but the wrestlers are in a tough position of wanting to respect the runners-up coaches by letting them know themselves while at the same time wanting to announce it on t

i don't fault or blame anyone for posting these things - just saying it's something to consider when you're itching to drop something on a message board.
Amen. And sometimes the HS kid has very good, not-so-obvious reasons to not announce immediately.

A few years ago, a wrestler committed to the school of his choice but deferred the announcement for a week or so -- because he was unable to notify all the other schools before leaving the country for vacation. Imagine the fustercluck if that decision had gone public ahead of his wishes. Coaches interrupting his vacation, or coaches getting no response for a week if he doesn't have an international calling plan. Etc.

Another instance: Cael's visit with Haines would've been far more awkward if Nevills had announced earlier.

I give Lee credit for announcing now instead of waiting until late in the game. Gives the other coaches plenty of time to refocus on where they want to spend those recruiting dollars.

Reactions: dunkej01
yes, but we should write a letter on why PSU is really a better choice! I'm sure we could get at least 25 reasons... and that wouldn't be counting the reasons Spencer put down against Iowa.... :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT