ADVERTISEMENT

Question for old-time pre-BIG 10 Penn State road trip warriors - do you miss the old foes & trips?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Question for old-time pre-BIG 10 Penn State road trip warriors - do you miss the old foes and trips? We have West Virginia coming up as a road trip in 2024 I believe, but namely back then: Syracuse, Boston College, Army, Navy. Do you miss those making those trips and what were your likes/dislikes about those trips?

Question for old-time pre-BIG 10 Penn State road trip warriors - do you miss the old foes and trips? We have West Virginia coming up as a road trip in 2024 I believe, but namely back then: Syracuse, Boston College, Army, Navy. Do you miss those making those trips and what were your likes/dislikes about those trips?
Absolutely. WVu, Pitt, Syracuse were all in a short day trip distance. Plus lots of great games. Would love to see those 3 back on a 6 year rotating basis.

Reactions: ItsAllGoodMan
Yep. In fairness those teams had much more of a pulse back then than they do now.

Was at a Penn St game in Foxboro against BC. It wasn’t really a true away game feeling as it was likely 50% PSU and off campus.

Never went to Syracuse until a few years ago. Ends up I didn’t miss much as the Carrier dome is a pit.

WVU was always a fun place to see a game as was Pitt back when they played on campus and had good teams. I’m not a fan of watching college football in rented pro stadiums. It’s just missing something, (and then you add to that Pitt’s now horrible).

The long standing series with both Notre Dame and Alabama were great. It also seemed like there was more variety in scheduling back then as games with Texas, USC, Miami, Nebraska, BYU, NC St, etc were sprinkled in.

Last edited:
Yep. In fairness those teams had much more of a pulse back then than they do now.

Was at a Penn St game in Foxboro against BC. It wasn’t really a true away game feeling as it was likely 50% PSU and off campus.

Never went to Syracuse until a few years ago. Ends up I didn’t miss much as the Carrier dome is a pitt.
Agree that the Carrier Dome was horrible. How can it be named after Carrier and not have A/C?

They replaced the roof and are putting another $26 million into renovations. I don't know if it will make much difference.

Agree that the Carrier Dome was horrible. How can it be named after Carrier and not have A/C?

They replaced the roof and are putting another $26 million into renovations. I don't know if it will make much difference.
I haven’t seen it after their renovations. When I was there, from the outside it had all the charm of an old Soviet apartment block. Inside it was a sweat box while being half empty (no AC). ;)

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It was great to be able to drive to several of the away games, although Syracuse was one of my worst away game experiences ever. I thought we were going to get killed on the way back to the car after they beat us in '87 after we had owned them for so long.

Now that we have to fly to games, I'm happy to add the new campuses and stadiums to the list. Hoping to get to WV next year since we never made it during the independent years.

Reactions: psu00
Yes. For example, who wants to go to Minnesota, etc.

Went to plenty of road games back in the day. Only regret is not getting to the old WVU and Syracuse stadiums and never getting to an Army trip. I was, however, at 48-14.

Glad to have Maryland and Rutgers in conference. In time hoping for Virginia in the B1G. I would take West Virginia but not much of a chance of that happening.

Glad to have Maryland and Rutgers in conference. In time hoping for Virginia in the B1G. I would take West Virginia but not much of a chance of that happening.

I was going to say that it’s nice to have Maryland and Rutgers in conference to have a close Northeast away game every year. They particularly work since a huge chunk of our out of state alumni are in NJ or NYC metro or in Maryland/DC metro (we have a lot of Virginia based alumni but it’s mostly in Northern Virginia).

Reactions: shifix
It was great to be able to drive to several of the away games, although Syracuse was one of my worst away game experiences ever. I thought we were going to get killed on the way back to the car after they beat us in '87 after we had owned them for so long.

Now that we have to fly to games, I'm happy to add the new campuses and stadiums to the list. Hoping to get to WV next year since we never made it during the independent years.
I imagine that was similar to the "Sackenberg" game at The Linc vs. TEMPLE. We were admittedly overserved, but the venom coming from anyone in Cherry & White was palpable. I was initially seated with a PSU buddy who is a police chief for the 1st qtr...so he was better prepared to keep things calm.

One young lady near us was exceptionally loud and aggressive towards us to the point of nearly being physical. When I asked her if she knew where her head coach played his college football she was beyond clueless.

When I told her that without Penn State there is no Matt Rhule at Temple...and to enjoy her day because it'll be another 70 years before her great grandchildren can experience such a win. And that many Philly area Penn Staters root for Temple because of Rhule she was toast. Kids are kids but the hatred for State complicated by Sandusky stuff was rough.

We left early and were out of the parking lot just as stadium was exiting. Cuse was like that when I went up for a game in 1989 coming off of 2 Syracuse wins in a row. OJ McDuffie had a big td punt return. I stood up, those around me sat down. It was sweet silence in the Dome! A beer did end up in my hair. I was 24 back then and maybe deserved it : )

I'd like to play the old schools on a rotational basis..it is more fun than playing teams that you have no friends who went to. Just my opinion.

My only road trip under your circumstances was to South Bend in 92. My father in law who owned the tickets went on many road trips. He once told me far and away the best people he met were from Alabama, the absolute worst were West Virginia. On one of his trips out to ND, he became a celebrity when he told the bar he went into the night before the game that he went to the same school the Rocket had graduated from.

Yes absolutely, We do not belong in the big ten. most hate us. We should be in a ACC conference north if that would have happened

Yes absolutely, We do not belong in the big ten. most hate us. We should be in a ACC conference north if that would have happened
I only applied to PSU and Villanova, but considered schools as far South as Va Tech- which a buddy from high school chose. My sister went to Wake. Boston to North Carolina is a Middle Atlantic persons worldview.

When I worked in NYC plenty of Cuse and BC people were in my sphere, along with OSU, Michigan, Illinois, Duke, UVA, UNC amongst others.

Very few Iowa, Nebraska,Minny, Whisky etc

My old man was a Marine, as was a buddy of his from his high school team in N Jersey. The buddy played at Bowling Green w Don Nehlan and on a Marine team with Jim Mora. Cradle of coaches...always root for the Hoopies vs. PITT in the Backyard Brawl.

Got to attend once at Pitt Stadium...a buddy got heave-hoed out of CJ Barneys after the game as I was dancing with a WVU student who could've been my future wife (at least for an afternoon : )

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Yes, older schedule pre-B1G was easier to drive in a single day. Doesn't matter today because of our age and nose-bleed seating in the far reaches of Endzone.

I personally feel the schedule is much better. Plus, we now include MD and R who we played back in the day. I am also encouraged about the new B1G alignment and what that will mean for our football schedule. I can't wait to see a game in LA versus UCLA or USC in the next year or two.

Reactions: LMTLION
I attended games in old Archbold stadium at Syracuse and old Mountaineer field in Morgantown. Small stadiums that put you pretty close to the field. I loved those road trips much more than the others to Pitt, BC, MD, Navy

Reactions: bytir
I personally feel the schedule is much better. Plus, we now include MD and R who we played back in the day. I am also encouraged about the new B1G alignment and what that will mean for our football schedule. I can't wait to see a game in LA versus UCLA or USC in the next year or two.
Hopefully better outcomes in the Coliseum vs U$C. The '90 and '91 games there were brutal.

Reactions: Obliviax

It does have air conditioning now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT