ADVERTISEMENT

Questionable TD......what?

mhlarch

Nov 20, 2019
Questionable TD? Something rotten in State College? What?

I'm glad Penn State went for the touchdown in "garbage time". The backup QB and second string D deserved to take that shot and finish the drive. I'm sure that's all that Coach Franklin was considering. The nerve of the NY Post and bettors to even question that call. Really twisted perspective and just shows gambling has been become way to pervasive and intrusive in our society. Glad I don't bet and can just enjoy the game for what it is.

Questionable TD

Reactions: EPC FAN and 81b&w
Questionable TD? Something rotten in State College? What?

I'm glad Penn State went for the touchdown in "garbage time". The backup QB and second string D deserved to take that shot and finish the drive. I'm sure that's all that Coach Franklin was considering. The nerve of the NY Post and bettors to even question that call. Really twisted perspective and just shows gambling has been become way to pervasive and intrusive in our society. Glad I don't bet and can just enjoy the game for what it is.

Questionable TD
The NY Post... lol, who reads that unquestionable POS? 😂

If it's from NY it's not worth reading.

Why would an actual PSU fan read it?

No problem with them questioning it as long as they spent much more time jumping on:

1. Oklahoma winning 73-0
2. Oregon winning 81-7
3. USC winning 66-14
4. Alabama winning 56-7
5. Georgia winning 48-7
6. Tennessee winning 49-13
7. Notre Dame winning 56-3
8. Mississippi winning 73-7
9. Syracuse winning 64-0
10. Auburn winning 59-14 etc.

The NY Post... lol, who reads that unquestionable POS? 😂
We had a first down with about a minute left and I thought at the time that Joe would have the team kneel down to end the game. There are good reasons to do what Franklin called and it wasn’t running up the score. That will teach the writer to bet against us.

I was surprised we ran a play.

After the game they showed Franklin and he looked pissed. I am not sure why. It may or may not have been the TD. But something was under his skin. Did anyone see them shake hands?

The backups practice just as hard as the starters. They deserve real plays and to feel the excitement of scoring. Was it bad for WVU to score their TD and go for 2 knowing that the game's outcome was settled? Hell, they didn't even try an onside kick.

All of that being said, I would feel differently if pribula was airing it out and we were calling TOs. He threw 1 short pass on 3rd and long outside of the red zone. Every other play was an inside run. WVU still had their starters in on D.

If we are questioning running the play because it was running up the score then I can see both sides of the argument (although I'm glad Beau punched it in). But I take issue with the Post writer insinuating that Franklin did it to cover the spread....nonsense!

Context is king in this scenario.

It was game 1 of the season, and Pribula’s first action as a college QB. They have to take these moments to get the backup meaningful reps. If it was some super senior or the last game of the year I think I’d see taking more offense. Not to mention, in the age of playoff consideration, point spread and eye test are major factors for consideration. I highly doubt Franklin cares about the spread.

It’s funny though, I watched the game with a big group of neighbors at a BBQ and bettors were going nuts during those last moments.

If the writer knew anything about college football, he would know it wasn’t about gambling, it’s about building a playoff resume. Close games against middle of the road teams does not look good on a resume and will haunt you.

Then vs. now on style points for Penn State

Something very interesting happened near the end of Saturday’s Penn State game against Indiana that serves as a reminder of just how times have changed and how different the Nittany Lion program is from what so many people grew up watching.

First, let’s go back to 1994, to the victory that many people believe cost PSU a national championship.

The Lions were in total control at Indiana, up 35-14 with 6:09 left, then saw the Hoosiers score two touchdowns in the closing minutes to make the final score look a lot closer, 35-29.

This is how the New York Times game story, written by Malcolm Moran, summed it up.

“When does a victory become a defeat? When does the preservation of a perfect season include the possibility that national championship chances have been jeopardized? When does the losing team celebrate at the end of a game, while the winners, whose lead was never in jeopardy, depart with grim faces?”

ow on style points for Penn State​

Local Sports
Oct 3, 2017

03barkley-596x840.jpg

PATRICK WAKSMUNSKI/For The Sun-Gazette Saquon Barkley’s touchdown pass highlighted the second half of Penn State’s win over Indiana.

Something very interesting happened near the end of Saturday’s Penn State game against Indiana that serves as a reminder of just how times have changed and how different the Nittany Lion program is from what so many people grew up watching.

First, let’s go back to 1994, to the victory that many people believe cost PSU a national championship.

The Lions were in total control at Indiana, up 35-14 with 6:09 left, then saw the Hoosiers score two touchdowns in the closing minutes to make the final score look a lot closer, 35-29.

This is how the New York Times game story, written by Malcolm Moran, summed it up.

“When does a victory become a defeat? When does the preservation of a perfect season include the possibility that national championship chances have been jeopardized? When does the losing team celebrate at the end of a game, while the winners, whose lead was never in jeopardy, depart with grim faces?”

Moran is a highly respected sports journalist who served as head of the sports journalism department at Penn State from 2006-12. Ironically enough, he’s now head of the sports journalism department at Indiana.

Moran’s story in the Times that day also included these two paragraphs:

(Joe) Paterno, asked about the potential political consequences caused by the victory today, grimaced and shrugged.

“I don’t care about the polls,” he said. “What do I care about the polls?”

No, Paterno didn’t care about the polls. Or style points. That Indiana game was over, he knew it, everyone knew it.

But pollsters who only saw the final score didn’t know that it really was a rout that turned into a fluky final score. Some dropped Penn State in their votes, and sure enough, the Lions wound up missing out on a chance to play for a national title.

“I don’t think anybody knew at the time that outcome would have an impact on the national championship,” Moran told me by phone Sunday night.

I then asked him if he believes Paterno ever came to regret how that Indiana game ended up being so close.

There were a lot of 3rd string guys on defense when WVU scored, then went for 2. Then they attempted an onside kick with the game out of reach. They clearly still wanted to play. I half way wanted Franklin to send Allar back out and let him sling it for another touchdown. I wish he would've called for an onside kick after Pribula scored.

Reactions: OaktonDave
If we are questioning running the play because it was running up the score then I can see both sides of the argument (although I'm glad Beau punched it in). But I take issue with the Post writer insinuating that Franklin did it to cover the spread....nonsense!
People bet both sides of the spread so it helped as many people as it hurt.

No problem with them questioning it as long as they spent much more time jumping on:

1. Oklahoma winning 73-0
2. Oregon winning 81-7
3. USC winning 66-14
4. Alabama winning 56-7
5. Georgia winning 48-7
9. Syracuse winning 64-0
Against non-power 5 opponents. Probably best to add context. You see, it is ok apparently to run up the score on far inferior teams but not so much on other power 5 opponents who score late with their 1s on your 3rd team D, then do an onsides kick, and are calling timeouts to extend the game while still playing their 1s against your 2nd team offense.

1. Oklahoma winning 73-0
2. Oregon winning 81-7
3. USC winning 66-14
4. Alabama winning 56-7
5. Georgia winning 48-7
9. Syracuse winning 64-0
and many of those were running up the score against soup cans, ham sandwiches and DII teams

Reactions: psu00
We had a first down with about a minute left and I thought at the time that Joe would have the team kneel down to end the game. There are good reasons to do what Franklin called and it wasn’t running up the score. That will teach the writer to bet against us.

You're full of it - the Game Clock exceeded the Play Clock on the 2nd Down QB-Draw that PSU ran on TD (i.e., they had to run the play in question to run clock out without taking a clock stopping penalty). Secondly, PSU ran Play Clock to near zero before snapping on each snap where Game Clock was running prior, and on 2nd Down play where they scored - they were not trying to get off as many plays as possible, contrary to your claim.

Your characterization of the Game Clock is BS as well. PSU took possession of ball near midfield with 3:30 left on clock. PSU ran clock and two running plays to Potts and was facing 3rd-&-10 at WVU 46 - WVU stopped the clock after the 2nd Down play with a Timeout. Pribula scrambled for a First Down on 3rd-&-10 with an 11 yard run - 15 yards was added for a 15-Yard PF Facemasking Penalty (which was obvious and intentional) on WVU giving PSU a 1st-&-10 at WVU 20. PSU then ran twice using all of Play Clock before snapping and was facing 3rd-&-7 -- WVU then used their last Timeout to stop the clock after the 2nd Down play with 2:12 remaining. PSU ran Potts on 3rd Down play for 5 yards. On 4th-&-2, PSU again ran Potts after running Play Clock to near zero - Potts picked up 5 yards to the WVU 5 yard line. PSU ran Potts on 1st Down for no gain and ball was set for play (Play Clock started) with 51 seconds remaining. Pribula ran the ball on 2nd Down after running Play Clock to near zero and scored with 1 second remaining on clock.

Complete bullshit that PSU was the team trying to run as many plays as possible and trying to score (rather than run the clock out) - it was WVU that stopped the clock twice extending the number of plays run significantly, not PSU!

The only reason PSU scored at all was that WVU couldn't tackle PSU runners.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I enjoyed that touchdown. Got that total to over especially since those missed fg earlier looked like they would cost me

Reactions: Thomas1945
I enjoyed that touchdown. Got that total to over especially since those missed fg earlier looked like they would cost me

Wether you liked the score, or not - it's a complete mischaracterization to say PSU was trying to score a meaningless TD to run up score. CJF's primary motivation was to run the remaining 3 1/2 minutes left on clock without giving the ball back to WVU (who used 2 Timeouts stopping the clock and extended the number of plays significantly) - CJF wanted Pribula (and many other 2nd teamers) to face real game pressure and WVU's starting defense, and accomplish this goal. The fact that PSU scored is entirely WVU's fault in that they extended the game significantly by stopping the clock multiple times AND couldn't tackle PSU runners on 3rd-&-10, 3rd-&-7, 4th-&-2 or 2nd-&-Goal from 6 yard line (play Pribula scored on)! Pribula had to snap ball on last play as Game Clock exceeded Play Clock - the fact that WVU's defense couldn't tackle him from 6 yards out is entirely on WVU's 1st Team Defense.

The top college teams often pour it on late in lopsided games. If PSU wants to join the elite, they may need to adopt that mindset and keep the pedal down no matter the score. There could be more grumbling about "running it up" but that may just come with the territory. As the Lions try to take the next step as a program, they'll have to walk the line between sportsmanship and doing everything to win.

The top college teams often pour it on late in lopsided games. If PSU wants to join the elite, they may need to adopt that mindset and keep the pedal down no matter the score. There could be more grumbling about "running it up" but that may just come with the territory. As the Lions try to take the next step as a program, they'll have to walk the line between sportsmanship and doing everything to win.

Again, utterly ridiculous to claim PSU was trying to run up the score - PSU ran 9 plays, 8 runs and 1 pass (a short swing pass on 4th-&-2). It was WVU that extended the game significantly, not PSU - WVU used all 3 of their timeouts after PSU took over with 3:30 remaining (that's over 2 minutes of Game Clock had they let PSU run Play Clock as they were doing - IOW, WVU extended the game by 2:15 of running Game Clock by using all 3 of their Timeouts while PSU had ball (including using their final TImeout when PSU was facing 3rd-&-7 from the WVU 17 yard line with 2:11 remaining rather than let the clock run in a game that was obviously over!)). Not only that, but WVU's 1st Team Defense failed to stop PSU runners on a 3rd-&-10, 3rd-&-7, 4th-&-2 and 2nd-&-Goal from 6 yard line - whose fault is that but the WVU 1st Team Defense???

Last edited:
Again, utterly ridiculous to claim PSU was trying to run up the score - PSU ran 9 plays, 8 runs and 1 pass (a short swing pass on 4th-&-2). It was WVU that extended the game significantly, not PSU - WVU used all 3 of their timeouts after PSU took over with 3:30 remaining (that's over 2 minutes of Game Clock had they let PSU run Play Clock as they were doing - IOW, WVU extended the game by 2:15 of running Game Clock by using all 3 of their Timeouts while PSU had ball (including using their final TImeout when PSU was facing 3rd-&-7 from their own 17 yard line with 2:11 remaining rather than let the clock run in a game that was obviously over!)). Not only that, but WVU's 1st Team Defense failed to stop PSU runners on a 3rd-&-10, 3rd-&-7, 4th-&-2 and 2nd-&-Goal from 6 yard line - whose fault is that but the WVU 1st Team Defense???
My bad if I didn't say it right. I'm with you 100%, go for the jugular no matter what! All I meant is if we start blowing teams out, get ready for the haters to whine about running it up. Who cares what the media says, the elite teams step on throats. Saban, Dabo, Ryan Day - they don't take the foot off the gas. Franklin needs to have that killer instinct if we're gonna get to that level. I hope we hang 60 on Michigan! WE ARE!

I was surprised we ran a play.

After the game they showed Franklin and he looked pissed. I am not sure why. It may or may not have been the TD. But something was under his skin. Did anyone see them shake hands?
I think Franklin wasn't happy ABOUT WVU going for two and using that KC Chiefs business. I think he decided they should score again.

Reactions: OzLion
My bad if I didn't say it right. I'm with you 100%, go for the jugular no matter what! All I meant is if we start blowing teams out, get ready for the haters to whine about running it up. Who cares what the media says, the elite teams step on throats. Saban, Dabo, Ryan Day - they don't take the foot off the gas. Franklin needs to have that killer instinct if we're gonna get to that level. I hope we hang 60 on Michigan! WE ARE!
and this was WVU a legit power 5 school, not Charlotte or UT Martinsville or some other low low level hired opponent. So our team was playing hard to the end getting real game experience for our QB2 and other kids who are going to have to contribute this year., Not a problem. If they had gone for that against some soup can it might be a different story, but this was hard fought game against a legit opponent.

How quickly everyone forgets the Iowa debacle where we had a qb in who had been given literally no opportunity to acquire legit playing time. We need the 2nd string qb to get time and to play like it is the real deal. I got no problem with scoring late to let the 2nd stringers learn.

Joe's old approach of taking a knee didnt do PSU any favors in 1994. If the other team don't like it, stop it. It is okay when MSU plays the old awe shucks happy story with an o line man scoring in garbage time, so I say play until the last whistle.

How quickly everyone forgets the Iowa debacle where we had a qb in who had been given literally no opportunity to acquire legit playing time. We need the 2nd string qb to get time and to play like it is the real deal. I got no problem with scoring late to let the 2nd stringers learn.

Joe's old approach of taking a knee didnt do PSU any favors in 1994. If the other team don't like it, stop it. It is okay when MSU plays the old awe shucks happy story with an o line man scoring in garbage time, so I say play until the last whistle.
It was just one knee with 12 seconds left. Beau wasn’t going to miss it

I don't get it. 38-15 isn't that big of a blowout. Especially in college football. Hell, the PIAA doesn't even do a running clock until you are up 35 in high school.

Not that I agree with it, but better New York Post than the New York Times. 🤷
Silly comment. I know many others agree, tho.

It is why so many otherwise nice people have so much trouble processing current events in any category whatsoever.

Case on point: This writer is a jerk trying to agitate. It worked. They got a whole editorial room filled with assholes like that, in every category.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT