ADVERTISEMENT

Raised concrete patio with drainage issues

This. I did this in a driveway. Worked well and it doesn't need to be a large groove. Go from the center low spot out.
It will work to "drain the swamp", but he said the low point was about 1/2". To carry your groove at 1/4" per foot slope, the cut would be 3" deep as it nears the slab's edge. Now a contraction joint is created (used to control stress cracking during concrete cure) and to completely sever the depth of the slab. With out sealing the groove, the open crack will wick surface moisture thru capillary action thru the depth of the slab then over time will start to deteriorate. If there is welded wire fabric in the slab, the moisture will cause the rusting stains to migrate to the slabs surface.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
My jury rigged solution would be to cut a groove/channel that allows water to drain off the edge instead.

Agree. A faux control joint right in the middle which is where the water is not draining. The joint needs to be pitched and get deeper away from the house.

A new material bonded to slab will eventually have the same issues as the slab. Cracks will telegraph through bonded brick or stone. If they are layed dry the crack will not telegraph but any sagging will cause the new material to sag.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
We had a similar problem due to a poor job to begin with by the contractor. In our case, the patio was at ground level. We had something called “ mud - jacking “ ( yes, I know there will be snickers about this term ) performed which lifted the side of the patio next to the house to facilitate drainage. They basically drilled a series of holes in the concrete and injected what appeared to be expanding foam that lifted one side up about 2 “.
I guess this won’t work for you if there isn’t dirt directly under the patio.
Maybe get rid of the patio and put in a deck ? $$$, I know.

i had almost identical problem, only attached to the house. i had the mud jacking done - cost $400. it worked.

there are videos all over you tube on this process.

Reactions: step.eng69
i had almost identical problem, only attached to the house. i had the mud jacking done - cost $400. it worked.

there are videos all over you tube on this process.

bucket

Put a roof over it and screen it in. Eliminates water and mosquitoes.

Reactions: GregInPitt
My grandfather has the same tractor as yours. He maintains it very well, and I thought there was almost no work he could not do with it until recently. We had a driveway at the front of the house that was sloping. The driveway had to be repaired, and the gravel had to be arranged nicely on it. For some reason, my grandfather refused to fix it, and when I asked him why, he said he was not sure how and whether the job would be good in the end. We decided to contact the guys from the driveways dublin company, and they did a superb job.

Last edited:
If the concrete is sagging then it’s not supported underneath and will continue to settle and crack. Mud jacking is the best solution. Also the cheapest.

Reactions: step.eng69
It's probably settling because the soil underneath it wasn't compacted properly when it was installed. Drilling a hole and introducing water to the soil can actually make it worse. The real solution is to rip it out, fix the soil underneath and put a new slab on it. You could try some kind of leveling material over top of it to buy you some more time.
I had a similar issue with a brick patio. When my folks were changing out their flagstone patio I grabbed their old materials, hired a Mason, and together we raised the middle/levele with a bunch of concrete and laid flagstone on top. It has Been 6 years and I need to re-point- but the transformation was wonderful. There is a blue stone fake that sells for $30 per piece that we've used to put a walkway from our back porch and garage to the patio. Been 👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT