ADVERTISEMENT

RBY still commited?

Ah, a firefighter on the board. I love what they call firefighters in Australia (as they nickname everything) - "Firey"

Here's a picture of my nephew (in middle with earbuds atop his earlobes) who's a junior firefighter and wrestler:

http://www.southmediafire.com/2016/10/01/recruiting-junior-firefighters/

My sister is quite the traveler and takes her kids on trips often. Cam has visited many a fire house in far away lands like Slovakia. He always gets a warm welcome. The coolest encounter was when they were in Prague's famous town square. They spotted a young firefighter and his truck at the edge of the square. With thousands of tourists around totally ignoring the fireman and instead gazing at the Baroque architecture around them, Cam, his sister and mom introduced themselves to the fireman and got quite a tour of Czech equipment. Some hilarious pictures of Cam putting on gear while a bunch of Chinese tourists look on confused.

Very cool story. Tell him if that's what he wants to do for a career it is a great job and never give up trying to get on. It was the most competitive thing I've ever had to do, even more so than wrestling.

By the way, color me stupid, but who is the other guy in the PSU shirt in the pic with RBY??

Very cool story. Tell him if that's what he wants to do for a career it is a great job and never give up trying to get on. It was the most competitive thing I've ever had to do, even more so than wrestling.

By the way, color me stupid, but who is the other guy in the PSU shirt in the pic with RBY??
Thanks. He may try to join one of the Western fire crews to fight forest fires. When he was young they lived in the Sierras and Northern Idaho, and he's always wanted to move back when he graduates.

Selfishly, I hope Teemer doesn't commit anywhere anytime soon. Would be a nice get if RBY decided to go elsewhere. Though, being mindful of scholarship money, I'd understand if they made do without either wrestler since 2019 has Busiello coming in and Raimo is rumored to be interested.

Normally I'd consider Willie a reliable source.

Agree. Willie gave some credibility to the RBY rumors

Selfishly, I hope Teemer doesn't commit anywhere anytime soon. Would be a nice get if RBY decided to go elsewhere. Though, being mindful of scholarship money, I'd understand if they made do without either wrestler since 2019 has Busiello coming in and Raimo is rumored to be interested.

First, Joey Silva (currently a junior and #4 at 132) is still available, though not sure how long that will be the case. But he would be a really good get if RBY goes elsewhere.

Second, I've read that Teemer probably projects as a 149/157 guy in college, whereas RBY projects at 133/141.

First, Joey Silva (currently a junior and #4 at 132) is still available, though not sure how long that will be the case. But he would be a really good get if RBY goes elsewhere.

Second, I've read that Teemer probably projects as a 149/157 guy in college, whereas RBY projects at 133/141.

Yeah, I could see Teemer filling out to 149/157. Just haven't yet seen that weight jump that most are expecting.

Do not be surprised if Silva is a Lion.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Countdown until the HR regulars ether scoff at Cael's MMA gym visits as "silly" .... or suggest that Cael is "bending" the rules .... in 4.... 3.... 2....

The recent Brands interview has received lots of attention and HR posters are excited that they have increased their recruiting efforts. If I were a hawk fan, I'd be asking why did it take so long? It's as if the Brands thought the best HS wrestlers would automatically go to Iowa, while they watched PSU and OSU blow right by.

I'd probably project Teemer 141/149. Don't think he'll get to 157. I will say that at FloNats I was sitting 10 feet away saying "how the hell does this kid make 132?"

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
The recent Brands interview has received lots of attention and HR posters are excited that they have increased their recruiting efforts. If I were a hawk fan, I'd be asking why did it take so long? It's as if the Brands thought the best HS wrestlers would automatically go to Iowa, while they watched PSU and OSU blow right by.
Remember when JoePa started to use Skype? Lots of people on the FB board were ecstatic thinking Joe was all hip.

Countdown until the HR regulars either scoff at Cael's MMA gym visits as "silly" .... or suggest that Cael is "bending" the rules .... in 4.... 3.... 2....
Hawkeye motto used to be "just wait until next year" and has now become "just wait until 2 years from now" which is really "just wait until 3 years from now".

The Cael theme was "can't beat Brands", to "just wait until DT and Ed graduate", to "just recruits, can't coach" to "gotta be cheating".

The team cheer was "heeeeeee's staaaaalllling!!!", now is "heeeeeee's cheeeeeeating!!!!"

There is a rumor floating around the University of Iowa is seriously considering instituting a 4 year Bachelors program in Rationalization.

Hawkeye motto used to be "just wait until next year" and has now become "just wait until 2 years from now" which is really "just wait until 3 years from now".

The Cael theme was "can't beat Brands", to "just wait until DT and Ed graduate", to "just recruits, can't coach" to "gotta be cheating".

The team cheer was "heeeeeee's staaaaalllling!!!", now is "heeeeeee's cheeeeeeating!!!!"

There is a rumor floating around the University of Iowa is seriously considering instituting a 4 year Bachelors program in Rationalization.
Post of the year candidate right there folks...

This part is pure internet gold.
Their criticism of Cael's coaching at ISU is also a good one. He did very well for a very young coach at his first job, but his failure to win it all while there cements in their mind that his coaching skills would never progress.

Belicheck stinks too because Browns

Reactions: diggerpup
Their criticism of Cael's coaching at ISU is also a good one. He did very well for a very young coach at his first job, but his failure to win it all while there cements in their mind that his coaching skills would never progress.

All their whining, and rationalization.
Sigh.

I hope the PSU staff can figure out 133 & 141 next year, because shutting them out would be so sweet.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
The Cael theme was "can't beat Brands".

If the haters were to be honest for even a second.....brands wasnt beating brands during the double class years.

Secondly, I would also put a wager out there without even looking into the data, that PSU during caels tenure has had more misses/transfers/didnt show up then top 10 P4P guys that AA'd.

People especially haters see what they want to see, which isnt always the reality of the situation. Just their own reality that allows them to carry on.

furthering my post from a second ago...this one always chaps my @ss too. Cael was in what his late 20s when he took over. Hardly a seasoned coach by any measure. took John smith 3 years to win a NC, took JRob almost 20 years. But Cael gets judged differently......which at its core is simply out of hate.

Plus this whole alma matter allegiance only works for those that have never had the chance to make a decision that is life changing. I hate sPitt and scUM with all I got but if they offered me something that PSU couldnt/wouldnt...peace Im out and 99% of the people out there would do the same thing.

To be fair, Belichick was hamstrung in those days as both the Giants and Dallas had the benefit of "double draft classes" working in their favor. :D

furthering my post from a second ago...this one always chaps my @ss too. Cael was in what his late 20s when he took over. Hardly a seasoned coach by any measure. took John smith 3 years to win a NC, took JRob almost 20 years. But Cael gets judged differently......which at its core is simply out of hate.

Plus this whole alma matter allegiance only works for those that have never had the chance to make a decision that is life changing. I hate sPitt and scUM with all I got but if they offered me something that PSU couldnt/wouldnt...peace Im out and 99% of the people out there would do the same thing.
Iowa State fans take Cael leaving with more grace than many Hawkeye fans which tells you that the school allegiance thing is a proxy for something else.

If the haters were to be honest for even a second.....brands wasnt beating brands during the double class years.

Secondly, I would also put a wager out there without even looking into the data, that PSU during caels tenure has had more misses/transfers/didnt show up then top 10 P4P guys that AA'd.

People especially haters see what they want to see, which isnt always the reality of the situation. Just their own reality that allows them to carry on.
In the next few years, they are going to have a few of their Top 10s not become Nolf/Zain monsters (I predict Marinelli disappoints as he seems like an early maturing kid who dominates in high school but peaks early) and they're going to realize that Cael is not just recruiting studs and throwing them out there - that many top 10s bust, but so far Cael's track record is better at avoiding these busts. This is good scouting and good coaching. I believe someone has posted the percentages of Cael's top 10s that have AAd versus the field and it's a glaring discrepancy.

Anyway, come 2020/21, Brands seat is going to be white hot.

In the next few years, they are going to have a few of their Top 10s not become Nolf/Zain monsters (I predict Marinelli disappoints as he seems like an early maturing kid who dominates in high school but peaks early) and they're going to realize that Cael is not just recruiting studs and throwing them out there - that many top 10s bust, but so far Cael's track record is better at avoiding these busts. This is good scouting and good coaching. I believe someone has posted the percentages of Cael's top 10s that have AAd versus the field and it's a glaring discrepancy.

Anyway, come 2020/21, Brands seat is going to be white hot.

You lie.....I read all the time over many forums that Cael cant develop talent. That talent just shows up and wins.

Joking aside.....If Spencer Lee doesnt win a team NC during his tenure....holy mackerel.....the vitriol will be absolutely toxic.

My favorite part is the folks who think Cael's success at PSU is somehow diminished because he didn't stick around at ISU. Pot meet kettle.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I fall timber on forest fires during the summers out here in the PNW. Lots of work fighting fires. Good luck to him
God Bless You. I remember years ago flying in a commercial jet over a FF. The heat and smoke bounced the plane around......incredible.

In the next few years, they are going to have a few of their Top 10s not become Nolf/Zain monsters
6-6-6, sign of the beast.

01252014_iowawrestlingvsminnesota_mike-evans-013.jpg

My favorite part is the folks who think Cael's success at PSU is somehow diminished because he didn't stick around at ISU. Pot meet kettle.
Let the HATERS keep hating Cael and staff love it and see do PSU....As Cael says all the time IGNORE the HATERS it drives them crazy....

I think RBY is going to be a beast. I honestly think he has more upside and a higher ceiling than Teasdale.
I strongly agree johnstownsteel. Roman will be beating Gavin in the room after a week or so if that.....They are good friends and future teammates who will only make each other better...Plus they have a few GREAT lighter guys to make them both better...Both will be multiple National Champions under Cael and staff direction !!!! NO DOUBT....

and u know this for a fact way out East...take a visit to Ames and chat awhile.
Usually message boards are the domain of the most rabid/unbalanced fans and, yeah, Cyclone fans on boards seem to be more accepting of it. Many Hawkeye fans seem to fight for ISU's " honor" over this when, frankly, it's none of their business and when the seem to revel in ISU's misery most of the time.

Last edited:
I work with a lot of ISU fans/alumni most don't care about wrestling but the few who do loathe Cael. As a Hawkeye fan I couldn't care less about him going to PSU.....just my 2 cents

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
As a former Cyclone who is very much in touch with many former wrestlers and fans I can tell you it is a split group. I would say about the same percentage that loathe Gable loathe Cael. The percentage of Iowa fans who hate Cael is much higher. It doesn't take a genius to notice when Cael or any PSU wrestler has come to central Iowa to do a clinic it draws a crowd. I am not alone in becoming a PSU fan since Cael arrived and ISU hit the tank, but most do it rather quietly. ISU fans who dislike Cael resent what became of the ISU program after he left while Iowa fans hate him for building a dynasty to replace them.

Cyclone fans at this time are excited about the future and feel hope that things will get better. Hawkeye fans at this time realize the time at the top has came and went and will slowly accept the fact that they are no longer the top program, but still a very good program. I believe the two programs (ISU/Iowa) will both fine, but the two fan bases are worlds apart in terms of understanding reality. PSU has a big threat to the dynasty, but it is not iowa and certainly isn't ISU, but instead tOSU imo.

Iowa State fans take Cael leaving with more grace than many Hawkeye fans which tells you that the school allegiance thing is a proxy for something else.

and u know this for a fact way out East...take a visit to Ames and chat awhile.

The vibe I got from many ISU fans seemed as if they were more upset with Pollard and the Athletic Dept. not doing enough to keep Cael there. You could be right though Minny since you seem to have some roots there and most likely hear from them more than I ever would.

The vibe I got from many ISU fans seemed as if they were more upset with Pollard and the Athletic Dept. not doing enough to keep Cael there. You could be right though Minny since you seem to have some roots out that way and hear from them more than I ever would.
No roots but have friends in Ames and they had kids going to school there, yes, some is put on Pollard and I can't see why they waited this long KJ and some how came up with lots of money.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT