ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Rankings: Research, Analysis and Opinion

Sportfan2017

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2017
I have been researching various sites and their yearly rankings of wrestlers to glean insight and ideas to come up with a better indicator of recruiting success as it pertains to future tournament point contributions. I have taken into consideration my thoughts and other's suggestions and I have come up with....what I think is a better method of analysis.....and I will be posting it as soon as I finish the final calculations......assuming I don't pass out first :) During my hours of reading through years of rankings and future results I have the following observations:

1. The various rating sites.... FLO, Intermat, track etc. have been generally agreeing the last few years. With all the tournaments and video we now have on wrestlers... it seems clear the rankings become more reliable with each passing year.
2. Shout-out to Flo. All the sites do a really great job.....I read/like them all. That said....FLO...with the "Who's Number 1", "Who's Number One Duals, FLO-nationals etc. have really increased the opportunities to see the best wrestle the best......and provide a greater body of work on each wrestler. Kudos. I am hard-pressed to find a better way to spend 10.00 a month
3. The rankings are getting more reliable each year. Look at FLO's 2017 Big Board. Is there anyone in their top 20 that you would say is a definite "mistake"? We have seen them wrestle over the summer, during their freshman year ...even if many are redshirts.....and in post season tournaments and I couldn't pick out one guy in the top 20 that I could proclaim now......he isn't going to do much.
4. The Big Board rankings are a much more reliable measuring tool than individual weight classes.. Again....good job FLO. Jarod Verkleeren was the #1 ranked wrestler at 145 lbs. but just the #20 overall recruit. This year Malik Johnson is #1 is his weight class but ranked #41 overall. This year's 4th ranked Heavyweight is clearly better than last year's #1 Heavy etc. So I am working on recruiting rankings that reflect that.
5. The top 3-4 guys are often leaps ahead of the next group most years. As the research has shown....the top 10 produce more AA ( Again.....especially recently ). The next 10 ( 11-20) often score many more tournament points than the next 20 or 30 wrestlers combined
6. If you want a model that reflects accurately...it needs to give big points to the top few but also give greater weight to the top 20.
7. With that said.....time to add 'em up and post :) ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. Just kidding

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT