ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Whiteout Reactions

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
I plan to reach out to basically everyone in attendance last night. As of this morning, 2019 DE Zach Harrison was the only prospect still on campus, aside from the three official visitors.

There were also two notable prospects that ended up making a late decision to attend the game: 2019 Saf. DeMarcco Hellams & DE Savion Jackson.

Below are a few of the early reactions I've received this morning.

PSU Commits

QB Will Levis - FILM - Middletown, Conn. - Xavier

"The atmosphere was unexplainable. I've never seen and felt anything like it before. I was also able to meet a couple of the commits from the class for the first time, which was great. I met some other targets, as well. I got to continue my relationship with the commits that were there. We all connect extremely well.

“I got to talk to the coaches about our season and their season. After the game, we also talked about how the game played out.”

OL Juice Scruggs - FILM - Erie, Pa. - Cathedral Prep

"The atmosphere was unbelievable. The fans were wild. To have 110,000 and some there is crazy. I got to talk with all the coaches and we were basically talking about how I was doing, how my family is doing, which lets me know that it's more than just football that they care about. I met some underclassmen that we trying to persuade and the rest of the commits in 2018. It was great time can’t wait to be back."

CB Warren Burrell - FILM - Suwanee, Ga. - North Gwinnett ***

"I had a great visit to Penn State. The atmosphere was crazy. The stadium and fans were hyped. Pregame was crazy with all the fans there.

"DJ [Turner] and I went together on the trip, so we were mainly hanging out with each out. I did get to meet with Coach King, Coach Smith and Coach Banks a couple times. We also met Coach Franklin. The coaches told me they we glad to have me here for the first time. I liked what they showed me around the campus."

Saf. Ronnie Hickman - FILM - Wayne, N.J. - De Paul Catholic ***

"The environment was like no other. It was really amazing to see all those fans and the excitement they had. Some highlights for me were some of the chants the student section were saying. Also, how great the people were."

"I got to meet with some of the kids that were already committed and kids from across the country. I spoke with Coach [Barthel], Coach Franklin, Coach Banks and Coach Moorhead."

- I've thought for awhile now that PSU is the team to beat here. Yesterday was his sixth visit to Penn State. Ohio State is definitely a player, but he's been to PSU twice as many times now.

RB Jordan Houston - FILM - Oakton, Va. - Flint Hill School ***

"The PSU-Michigan game was unreal. It was nothing like I've ever seen. The atmosphere is second to none. By far the craziest game I've been to. The stadium got so loud."

"I talked to a lot of the 2018 commits, like Jesse Luketa and Zack Kuntz. They keep telling me to commit. I also then talked to Keaton Ellis. He's really trying to get me to commit (laughs), but I also talked to Coach Huff.

"He said he was happy to see me and all that. Honestly, the whiteout game was electrifying. It gave me chills when everyone was loud and the fireworks shot up."

- Another 2019 prospect that I believe PSU is the early favorite with. Saturday was his second visit to PSU this season. Houston has also been to two Virginia Tech games this season, so it feels as if the Hokies are making the biggest push at this stage. Still, if PSU wants Houston, they should be able to land him.

LB Shane Lee - FILM - Washington, D.C. - St. John's College High ***

"The atmosphere was great. I got there early, so I got to walk around and see all activities and the fans were energetic all day. The energy level didn’t drop at all, if anything it grew throughout the day. I didn’t meet anyone new, just guys that I know from back home or just being out at different schools. I talked with a bunch of the 2018 commits. I talked with the coaches for a little bit. We were just catching up."

- This was Lee's third visit since the spring, fourth visit to PSU overall going back to last year's whiteout game against Ohio State. I think it's clear that the staff really likes his potential at MLB, but academics will be something that we have to watch here. He has plenty of time to improve on that, but keep that in mind moving forward.

LB Kane Patterson - FILM - Nashville, Tenn. - Christ Presbyterian Academy

"I loved the atmosphere. It was an amazing experience to go to the whiteout game versus Michigan and for it to be the biggest crowd ever at Penn State. I got to talk to Coach Franklin, Coach Pry and Coach Barthel."

"Coach Franklin told me thanks for coming up and we just talked for a little bit. I talked to Coach Pry in the locker room after the game and he told me he wants to stay in touch and talk once a week. Coach Barthel took care of me the whole day and told me that they are really interested in me at Penn State."

- I think there's a very good chance that Patterson earns an offer down the road. The staff is still learning more about him and watching his film, but from a character perspective, he fits really well. Remember the name. We'll be talking about him more down the road. I'll probably reach out to Patterson later this week for a full update.

DL Noah Potter - FILM - Mentor, Ohio - Mentor ***

"Craziest atmosphere I’ve been in. I talked to Zach Harrison a little bit and Cade Stover. I talked to every coach that’s recruiting me. I also talked to all of the recruiting staff. EJ Barthel told me he wants me to be the main guy in the 2019 class."

- I feel like Penn State is the team to beat here. An Ohio State offer is something to watch, but PSU has been on him before most other big schools.

QB Ta'Quan Roberson - FILM - Wayne, N.J. - De Paul Catholic ***

"The atmosphere was just absolutely amazing. They broke a record yesterday and I got to be apart of history. That's pretty cool. I had a good talk with the coaches. They were just telling me that they loved me and would love me to play in Happy Valley one day."

"I met up with a few guys. I was mainly talking to WR Justin Shorter and Kendrel Scurry. They're good guys."

DE/LB Cade Stover - FILM - Lexington, Ohio - Lexington ***

“The whiteout game was unreal. Honestly, (it was) an amazing experience. I met a lot of recruits. Shane Lee, along with Zach Harrison, is who I talked to the most.”

“They are for sure a team in my top five, no doubt. They are high on my list. Just as high as anyone else. It's a college town, which I love, and the fans are crazy.”

- Three visits now for one of Ohio's top players in 2019. It feels like this is going to end up being an Ohio State, Notre Dame, Penn State battle. It's still early, so a lot could change, but that's the impression I get at this stage. Stover has missed his past two games due to a minor shoulder injury, but he recorded 92 tackles and two INTs through the first seven games this season. Pretty solid stats.

Ath. KJ Wallace - FILM - Atlanta, Ga. - Lovett ***

"Last night was crazy. I’ve never been to a game like that in my life. I had goosebumps watching pregame. Everything was great, from the campus to the fans and the school. I didn’t meet any new recruits, but I saw and talked to a few that I already knew like DJ Turner.

"Before the game I talked to Coach Smith and Coach King a lot. Most of it was just catching up and what I think about the atmosphere."

CB Sheridan Jones - FILM - Virginia Beach, Va. - Bishop Sullivan ***

"It was an amazing experience from beginning to the end. The fans and everything were out of control. The coaching staff is also something that caught my eye. They seem very relatable, on and off the field. I can really grow with them.

"But the food was also a plus (laughs) and the highlight of the day had to be the defense. They played lights out ball all night. I got to talk to Coach Smith, Gattis and Coach Franklin and they just told me that Penn State is the place to be. I also got to see my boy Chris Tyree again and some other 2020 recruits."

- Good start with the 2020 prospect. Obviously, long way to go, but that's an excellent way to make a first impression. PSU just offered about 10 days ago.

QB Drew Pyne - FILM - New Canaan, Conn. - New Canaan ***

"I really enjoyed my trip to Penn State. The atmosphere was incredible and the game was fun to watch. The Penn State offense certainly fits my style of play and Coach Moorhead and Coach Franklin are terrific coaches.

"I also loved being with Will Levis. Both of us are from Connecticut, so it was really cool to be there together. He's a great kid and a great player."

RB Chris Tyree - FILM - Chester, Va. - Thomas Dale ***

"The game was crazy. I'm glad I got to see the atmosphere and the craziness of the whiteout games. I was with my mom and we were just taking it all in. I also talked to Coach Franklin and Coach Huff. It wasn't anything specific. They just wanted me to enjoy the game and take everything in."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News