ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt rule probably changing?

Ohio_Pirate

Jun 4, 2001
Play 4 games in a season and still keep your redshirt. Sounds like it will pass in April.

AFCA executive director Todd Berry laid out the organization’s legislative agenda in a press conference to close the convention last week, and over the hour-long session Berry saved his strongest stance for his campaign to change the redshirt rule.

The new rule would allow players to play in up to four games — any four games — and retain their redshirt.

Berry said this vote has been unanimous across all levels two years in a row, which never happens. “This needs to pass and it needs to pass right now,” Berry said.

It sounds as if Berry — and the coaches he represents — are going to get their wish.
(more at link)

http://footballscoop.com/news/sounds-like-new-redshirt-rule-going-pass/

Play 4 games in a season and still keep your redshirt. Sounds like it will pass in April.

AFCA executive director Todd Berry laid out the organization’s legislative agenda in a press conference to close the convention last week, and over the hour-long session Berry saved his strongest stance for his campaign to change the redshirt rule.

The new rule would allow players to play in up to four games — any four games — and retain their redshirt.

Berry said this vote has been unanimous across all levels two years in a row, which never happens. “This needs to pass and it needs to pass right now,” Berry said.

It sounds as if Berry — and the coaches he represents — are going to get their wish.
(more at link)

http://footballscoop.com/news/sounds-like-new-redshirt-rule-going-pass/

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there was a Redshirt Rule many years ago, since rescinded, which allowed play in as many as 3 games without forfeiting the redshirt. I'm thinking it was the 1970's - 1980's, time-frame.

How long until someone tries to pull the "he only played a few snaps in game x, so he should get an exemption for an additional game"?

How long until someone tries to pull the "he only played a few snaps in game x, so he should get an exemption for an additional game"?

If by “he” you are referring to the glorified HC whose initials are JH, then said request will be met in the Big Ten office with a resounding “No problem.”

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there was a Redshirt Rule many years ago, since rescinded, which allowed play in as many as 3 games without forfeiting the redshirt. I'm thinking it was the 1970's - 1980's, time-frame.

I seem to remember this rule from the 80’s

4 games is essentially 1/3 of the season, I personally think its 1 too many. 2 games + bowl for guys who maybe are forced in to a spot due to injury or just letting the kids get accustomed to college and play the last two games then a bowl seems ok to me.

This seems like a very positive change. It also helps top players who were good enough to not-redshirt if they happen to have a major injury in early season. They'd have another year to play & show recovery, and to get drafted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT