ADVERTISEMENT

Reminder, last day to vote in Alumni Council elections

Mary QBA

Dec 4, 2014
Good morning,

As a reminder, today is the last day for voting in the Penn State Alumni Association Alumni Council Representative elections.

Why bother, you ask? Because the Penn State administration, which owns the Alumni Association, doesn't want you to. To quote Trustee Kay Salvino, "Being on Alumni Council is a reward." But the friends we have on there could use a few more voices, or at least some fresh faces who can take five minutes to answer a question from concerned alumni members (I have a list at the bottom of this message. If you like someone, vote only for them. Click here for the full Voters Guide.).

STILL don't have an email ballot, even though you're a full member? Call VoteNet right away at (866) 307-0041 and ask for directions to vote online. It's possible just a bit trickier.

I called VoteNet when Mr MaryQBA83 didn't recieve his ballot for the first time, ever. It goes to his email at MajorCorporation and did not end up in his junk or spam folder. When I asked VoteNet about this, they told me that this year they've seen a record amount of server bounces for Penn State emails.

Rutt-rhooooo. A server bounce means that a sender has been blacklisted, and the email server isn't even letting it into your spam folder. I asked VoteNet if it was their sender credentials that had been blacklisted and they said no, they'd be out of business in a heartbeat if that was the case. It's Penn State. MajorCorporation server security teams subscribe to blacklists that are updated by the minute, while general email servers like GMail, Yahoo, etc tend to be more lenient.

Observation: if Penn State is being blacklisted for email blasts, running a major fundraising campaign is going to suck.

Candidates who have never served on Alumni Council, and who answered our question, and who actually attended Penn State, and who don't work for Penn State:

Fran Parisi
Gregory F Scott
Heather M Wolfe (bonus points: was on Smeal Council and is an independent thinker)
Ira N Gross
James “Jay” M Weitzel Jr
John Hook (bonus points: used to manage the Phyrst)
Jonathan C Savage
Joshua R Hoch
Michael S White
Samuel Settle (bonus points: declared winner of best answer)
Thomas A Ulmer
Trisha Fehlinger Mikita

Our culture problem is causing the university to be blacklisted. This is probably what the university "leadership" wanted.

;)

Reactions: Zenophile
Good morning,

As a reminder, today is the last day for voting in the Penn State Alumni Association Alumni Council Representative elections.

Why bother, you ask? Because the Penn State administration, which owns the Alumni Association, doesn't want you to. To quote Trustee Kay Salvino, "Being on Alumni Council is a reward." But the friends we have on there could use a few more voices, or at least some fresh faces who can take five minutes to answer a question from concerned alumni members (I have a list at the bottom of this message. If you like someone, vote only for them. Click here for the full Voters Guide.).

STILL don't have an email ballot, even though you're a full member? Call VoteNet right away at (866) 307-0041 and ask for directions to vote online. It's possible just a bit trickier.

I called VoteNet when Mr MaryQBA83 didn't recieve his ballot for the first time, ever. It goes to his email at MajorCorporation and did not end up in his junk or spam folder. When I asked VoteNet about this, they told me that this year they've seen a record amount of server bounces for Penn State emails.

Rutt-rhooooo. A server bounce means that a sender has been blacklisted, and the email server isn't even letting it into your spam folder. I asked VoteNet if it was their sender credentials that had been blacklisted and they said no, they'd be out of business in a heartbeat if that was the case. It's Penn State. MajorCorporation server security teams subscribe to blacklists that are updated by the minute, while general email servers like GMail, Yahoo, etc tend to be more lenient.

Observation: if Penn State is being blacklisted for email blasts, running a major fundraising campaign is going to suck.

Candidates who have never served on Alumni Council, and who answered our question, and who actually attended Penn State, and who don't work for Penn State:

Fran Parisi
Gregory F Scott
Heather M Wolfe (bonus points: was on Smeal Council and is an independent thinker)
Ira N Gross
James “Jay” M Weitzel Jr
John Hook (bonus points: used to manage the Phyrst)
Jonathan C Savage
Joshua R Hoch
Michael S White
Samuel Settle (bonus points: declared winner of best answer)
Thomas A Ulmer
Trisha Fehlinger Mikita
TY Mary

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT