ADVERTISEMENT

Report: UNC Viewed as SEC, Big Ten's Most Attractive Expansion Target from ACC

I think UNC is the clear #2 in the ACC in value after FSU. But they are potentially the team which would be the biggest place of contention between the Big Ten and SEC - both conferences would really want them and that state

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
I think UNC is the clear #2 in the ACC in value after FSU. But they are potentially the team which would be the biggest place if contention between the Big Ten and SEC - both conferences would really want them and that state
Agree. UNC is the one program both will truly want. FSU might only have interest from the B1G

How long until UNC follows FSU and Clemson in filing a lawsuit against the ACC GOR?
Good question. If they are truly as valuable as the article indicates, they should be leading the charge.

Big Ten would definitely want UNC over FSU. UNC is AAU; FSU is not. I would also argue (and I've spent way more time at UNC than FSU, so I'm biased) that UNC is culturally closer to the Big Ten than FSU (although UNC is still very southern).

Reactions: Ian
Report click here.
I am not sure I believe that report because the TV viewership is not there compared to FSU and Clemson, but an interesting story nonetheless.
When does it get to the point where a conference is too big and basically has no meaning anymore? I believe that we already are there with the Big 10. Also, would it be out of the realm of possibility that existing Big 10 schools would be jettisoned?

Reactions: psu00
When does it get to the point where a conference is too big and basically has no meaning anymore? I believe that we already are there with the Big 10. Also, would it be out of the realm of possibility that existing Big 10 schools would be jettisoned?
When you can’t play all the teams in your conference….

Reactions: NewEra 2014
Unfortunately, I think it is moving towards an AFC/NFC model. Which sucks.

No one will be "jettisoned". The Northwesterns and Vanderbilts are still needed to have winnable games
Conferences are just about securing money and dominance at this point.
The Big Ten and SEC will eventually break into 3-4 "divisions" within the conference to help set up an easy playoff between the Big Ten and SEC. The 14 team model already shows the Big Ten and SEC aren't playing around.

When you can’t play all the teams in your conference….
Most conferences haven't played everyone in their conference in probably 20 years assuming you mean yearly. Otherwise they can still play everyone--it will just be spread out

Big Ten would definitely want UNC over FSU. UNC is AAU; FSU is not. I would also argue (and I've spent way more time at UNC than FSU, so I'm biased) that UNC is culturally closer to the Big Ten than FSU (although UNC is still very southern).
Agreed on the culture but AAU isn't the primary reason for UNC over FSU. FSU doesn't bring half of what they thin they do. It will be interesting to see what happens with them and Clemson.

An interesting article on what happens team by team below. I don't know but this would certainly be very harmful for the secondary teams of the ACC like Miami and VaTech. The SEC and B1G may take a few teams (NC, ND, Clemson, FSU) but can't absorb too many more.

I think he's wrong about ND staying IND but time will tell. UVa and UNC are Big Ten bound IMO

Of course. At some point the media networks will reach a point where adding new schools does not increase revenues enough. Once that happens, they will shift attention to cutting costs and then you can say goodbye to those programs near the bottom in terms of revenue generation. The sport has completely sold it's soul the bean counters at the major media partners, everything else has become a secondary priority. That's a shame considering the sports programs are attached to institutions of higher learning, which should have a completely different set of priorities.

Agreed on the culture but AAU isn't the primary reason for UNC over FSU. FSU doesn't bring half of what they thin they do. It will be interesting to see what happens with them and Clemson.
I think the BIG presence in Florida is very important given the talent in Florida (exposure in their home state and competing within the state is important for recruits) and population of Florida. If BIG doesn’t get Florida State, I think they grab Miami. I think it is short sighted to hand the SEC a monopoly in exposure in the state of Florida given the talent.

Last edited:
An interesting article on what happens team by team below. I don't know but this would certainly be very harmful for the secondary teams of the ACC like Miami and VaTech. The SEC and B1G may take a few teams (NC, ND, Clemson, FSU) but can't absorb too many more.

Based on the tv numbers here, I am not sure why multiple articles talk about Virginia being attractive. I personally want to see Virginia in the conference, but I just don’t see the dollars and cents there.

I think the BIG presence in Florida is very important given the talent in Florida (exposure in their home state and competing within the state is important for recruits) and population of Florida. If BIG doesn’t get Florida State, I think they grab Miami. I think it is short sighted to hand the SEC a monopoly in exposure in the state of Florida given the talent.
We'll see. I don't think either currently see FSU or Miami as a top tier option. It's ND then UNC then lots of factors go into decisions.

If it was about talent would the B1G also be chasing some Texas schools?

Miami is AAU so if the Florida footprint is important, they will take them over FSU (who is not AAU).

Miami is NOT a good cultural fit for the Big Ten however,

We'll see. I don't think either currently see FSU or Miami as a top tier option. It's ND then UNC then lots of factors go into decisions.

If it was about talent would the B1G also be chasing some Texas schools?
The blue blood programs in Texas are gone. They went after Texas already. Florida State and Miami are better programs historically than the remaining programs in Texas. Plus, a lot of big ten alumni in Florida.

The blue blood programs in Texas are gone. They went after Texas already. Florida State and Miami are better programs historically than the remaining programs in Texas. Plus, a lot of big ten alumni in Florida.
Historically doesn't mean much and it's not just about the success of the football program.

No Big Ten school will be “jettisoned”.

I think he's wrong about ND staying IND but time will tell. UVa and UNC are Big Ten bound IMO
B10 will grab top AAU schools/markets like Miami, GaTech, UNC, Duke, UVa and eventually ND. That will be their 24 schools with an enormous footprint.

B10 will grab top AAU schools/markets like Miami, GaTech, UNC, Duke, UVa and eventually ND. That will be their 24 schools with an enormous footprint.
Possibly but I don't think Duke and not sold on Miami. I think they consider western schools to get to 6.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Rutgers isn't a full fledged member yet so can they be jettisoned?

Good point!

Isn’t there some probationary period where the conference can just say- ‘sorry Rutgres but it’s not working out’?

If not, there should be. ;)

No one will be "jettisoned". The Northwesterns and Vanderbilts are still needed to have winnable games
Conferences are just about securing money and dominance at this point.
The Big Ten and SEC will eventually break into 3-4 "divisions" within the conference to help set up an easy playoff between the Big Ten and SEC. The 14 team model already shows the Big Ten and SEC aren't playing around.
Also, Northwestern brings in the Chicago market...... lots of eyeballs which many seem to ignore.

Also, Northwestern brings in the Chicago market...... lots of eyeballs which many seem to ignore.
The conferences no longer care about the school location relative to media market. That was important in prior rounds of expansion but has lost importance with the transition of eyeballs from local cable packages to national streaming services. What matters is ratings and number of viewers, and Northwestern is almost certainly on the low side of that metric compared to most other Big 10 schools.

UNC is the Michigan of the south in terms of an elite academic state school. Does nothing for football but would be great for hoops.

UNC is the Michigan of the south in terms of an elite academic state school. Does nothing for football but would be great for hoops.
Not sure it does *nothing* for football.

Their program has been on par with some of the (former) Big Ten West teams (Minnesota, Iowa, etc) which is to say a good season every now and then and mid tier bowls the rest of the time.

But yes, it's a big get for basketball, many olympic sports and academics.

Report click here.
I am not sure I believe that report because the TV viewership is not there compared to FSU and Clemson, but an interesting story nonetheless.
Just based on potential eyeballs UNC, VA, and BC expand the viewership. Miami also brings in a major metro area. I understand the emotional aspect of Clemson and FSU wanting more money to maintain their brand. The reality is most of their TV viewership is based on the fickle bandwagon fans of a "national" brand. A few bad seasons and those eyeballs are on the next shining spinning thing. Clemson and FSU are both out of touch with their true market value.

The Big Ten brought in Maryland and Rutgers for only one reason, increased viewership coming from two of the nation's larger metro areas. It's not like they have been major sports powers (perhaps MD in basketball, but football brings in the $$$).

Just based on potential eyeballs UNC, VA, and BC expand the viewership. Miami also brings in a major metro area. I understand the emotional aspect of Clemson and FSU wanting more money to maintain their brand. The reality is most of their TV viewership is based on the fickle bandwagon fans of a "national" brand. A few bad seasons and those eyeballs are on the next shining spinning thing. Clemson and FSU are both out of touch with their true market value.

The Big Ten brought in Maryland and Rutgers for only one reason, increased viewership coming from two of the nation's larger metro areas. It's not like they have been major sports powers (perhaps MD in basketball, but football brings in the $$$).
I personally would love to see a few more “local” northeast/mid Atlantic schools in the conference, but VA and BC have pitiful tv viewership numbers and would decrease per school revenue in our conference. And that unfortunately is the determining factor in 2024.

You are correct about UMD and RU, but I'm not sure people consider viewership in terms of "major metro areas" anymore. The decline of cable/rise of streaming has made this less important. So "total viewers" is obviously important, but the metro area in which the school resides doesn't (to my understanding) matter as much anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT