ADVERTISEMENT

RnR HOF 2021 Inductees

Jay Z...a rapper and hip hop artist? I'm not saying he's not a highly successful, influential music artist, but is he really RnR? [Only song he did that I can say I remember and really like is "Empire State of Mind" with Alicia Keys]
Maybe I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's music era.

I find interesting what Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson said:
“I actually think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is an utter and complete load of bollocks, to be honest with you,” “It’s run by a bunch of sanctimonious bloody Americans who wouldn’t know rock ‘n’ roll if it hit them in the face. They need to stop taking Prozac and start drinking f----ng beer.”

Tina Turner
Carole King
Todd Rundgren
Jay Z
Go-Gos
Foo Fighters

thoughts and comments?

Pretty solid list overall. I’d like to see the Go-Go’s get in but they may be least likely on that list despite being the most successful ‘all female’ band of all time.

Reactions: BBrown
Jay Z...a rapper and hip hop artist? I'm not saying he's not a highly successful, influential music artist, but is he really RnR? [Only song he did that I can say I remember and really like is "Empire State of Mind" with Alicia Keys]
Maybe I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's music era.

I find interesting what Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson said:
“I actually think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is an utter and complete load of bollocks, to be honest with you,” “It’s run by a bunch of sanctimonious bloody Americans who wouldn’t know rock ‘n’ roll if it hit them in the face. They need to stop taking Prozac and start drinking f----ng beer.”
Which explains why Iron Maiden did not make the list this year.

Reactions: Zenophile
Tina Turner
Carole King
Todd Rundgren
Jay Z
Go-Gos
Foo Fighters

thoughts and comments?
See...the thing is...if Hip Hop had a Hall of Fame, would they Induct Bon Jovi? This is why Jay Z doesn't make sense.

Because why should you get to define what Rock N Roll is? As far as I'm concerned it was a very big tent when it was defined in the 1950s and it's not just classic white-boy rock like you want to define it.
Ask Jay Z if what he does is Rock.

The problem with Iron Maiden is that you would be messed up in the head too if you had a Rock band who played for 40 years straight and not one single female ever attended your concerts each year.

• Haha
Reactions: cavic
The Go Gos? Only 2 top 10 albums and only 2 top 10 singles.
I don't think Billboard should be the only benchmark.
They were the most successful female band that yes played their own instruments and wrote their own songs.
They were pretty influential as "American" New Wave Bands.
There was a very good documentary about them on Showtime last year.

Indeed. This was the first (and probably last) and only year they were nominated.

Found the complete list of those elected, elected in special categories, and nominated but not elected. Interesting to see who's in and who's not. Easy browse as it's in Wikipedia and not an ad loaded website.

First all female band to top the Billboard charts; important American New Wave influencers. They have twice as many Top Ten hits as Todd Rundgren - should he be left out because of Billboard charts?

Yes, not a fan of Rundgren either for the same reasons.

I was skeptical about Carole King because her music, is boring as shit, but her writing, wow.
I forgot how many hits she wrote while in the Brill Building.

Chains, The Loco Motion, Keep your hands off my baby, Take Good Care of My Baby, Up on the Roof, Im Into Something Good, One Fine Day, Pleasant Valley Sunday.
I mean, the beatles covered Chains

Because why should you get to define what Rock N Roll is? As far as I'm concerned it was a very big tent when it was defined in the 1950s and it's not just classic white-boy rock like you want to define it.
OK - so you get to define it then - makes sense.

Nominated but not elected in 2021:
Chaka Khan 3rd time
Rage Against the Machine 3rd time
Kate Bush 2nd time
Devo 2nd time
Mary J. Blige 1st time
Iron Maiden 1st time
Fela Kuti 1st time
Dionne Warwick 1st time

I was skeptical about Carole King because her music, is boring as shit, but her writing, wow.
I forgot how many hits she wrote while in the Brill Building.

Chains, The Loco Motion, Keep your hands off my baby, Take Good Care of My Baby, Up on the Roof, Im Into Something Good, One Fine Day, Pleasant Valley Sunday.
I mean, the beatles covered Chains
Carole King belongs in on Tapestry alone.
Glad she made it.

The complete class of 2021 Inductees:

Performer Category:

• Tina Turner
  • Carole King
  • The Go-Go’s
  • JAY-Z
  • Foo Fighters
  • Todd Rundgren
Early Influence Award:

• Kraftwerk
  • Charley Patton
  • Gil Scott-Heron
Musical Excellence Award:

• LL Cool J
  • Billy Preston
  • Randy Rhoads
Ahmet Ertegun Award:

• Clarence Avant

Reactions: Midnighter2
The complete class of 2021 Inductees:

Performer Category:

• Tina Turner
  • Carole King
  • The Go-Go’s
  • JAY-Z
  • Foo Fighters
  • Todd Rundgren
Early Influence Award:

• Kraftwerk
  • Charley Patton
  • Gil Scott-Heron
Musical Excellence Award:

• LL Cool J
  • Billy Preston
  • Randy Rhoads
Ahmet Ertegun Award:

• Clarence Avant

When did they start ‘early influence’? That will get Joy Division and Pixies in soon.

Carole King belongs in on Tapestry alone.
Glad she made it.

She also dated Neil Sedaka in High School and wrote oh Carol about her.
I always find it interesting how so many artists all came from the same place and knew each other growing up.

The Go Gos? Only 2 top 10 albums and only 2 top 10 singles.
Amen. Nothing against the Go-Gos but when it comes to female acts, Pat Benatar blows them out of the water. Somehow she hasn't been inducted yet unless I missed it.

The problem with Iron Maiden is that you would be messed up in the head too if you had a Rock band who played for 40 years straight and not one single female ever attended your concerts each year.
Your point is well taken though I do have a friend who met his (current) wife at one of their shows

He met his 1st wife at a court-mandated AA course, so his picks are improving

Oh I disagree. They had women at their shows. Sometimes dragged by boyfriends but Iron Maiden had their share of female fans.
Actually I once got a date with a girl cause she said I looked like Steve Harris the bass player so there's that lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT