ADVERTISEMENT

RnR HOF 2021 Inductees

Nice to see Kraftwerk on the list. I remember buying Autobahn when I was in my first year at PSU. We usually take a CD over with us when we go to Europe--to play it while driving on the real Autobahn....

Last time it did not work, as rental cars do not tend to have CD players anymore.

Amen. Nothing against the Go-Gos but when it comes to female acts, Pat Benatar blows them out of the water. Somehow she hasn't been inducted yet unless I missed it.

Pat Benatar was not the lead singer of an all girl rock band.

The best all girl band was not the Go Go's....Every member of The Runaways could Play, perform, record, write, and produce 10000 times better than the Go Go's.

Nobody claimed she was and that's irrelevant to my post. The fact is Pat Benatar was much more successful and impactful than the Go-Gos. The Go-Gos getting in before her is ridiculous. Benatar didn't cultivate the stereotypical rock persona. She had kids, wasn't a drug user, and didn't whore around. Maybe they're holding that against her.

Nobody claimed she was and that's irrelevant to my post. The fact is Pat Benatar was much more successful and impactful than the Go-Gos. The Go-Gos getting in before her is ridiculous. Benatar didn't cultivate the stereotypical rock persona. She had kids, wasn't a drug user, and didn't whore around. Maybe they're holding that against her.

Might be irrelevant to your post but not irrelevant as to why they're in and she isn't. I think the RRHOF has a poor track record when it comes to recognizing female artists (especially rock acts; outside of Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Nicks, Joan Jett, and Janis Joplin there really aren't any real female 'rock' artists in there). I think Pat Benatar should be in but I don't think she was significantly more impactful than the Go-Go's. Go-Go's were together for about eight years (had a couple of reunions and stuff but really, their run was from 1978 - 1985). They sold about 7.5mm records and released four studio albums.. Benatar has been active from 1979 to 2003 and has put out 3x as many studio albums (not counting compilations and 'greatest hits') but only has about 17mm records sold.

So, I agree Benatar should be in, but no one remembers much about her songs, influence, or style save 'Love Is a Battlefield' which is about as VH1 as it gets.

Reactions: BBrown
The best all girl band was not the Go Go's....Every member of The Runaways could Play, perform, record, write, and produce 10000 times better than the Go Go's.

Different style, but yeah, they were really good. I like Go-Go's better, but like The Runaways too.

Reactions: BBrown
The Go-Gos are in the RnR HOF but Pat Benatar isn't? That's crazy to me. I like some Go-Gos songs but no way they should be in. I don't know if Pat Benatar should be in or not but if one of them gets in then it should be Pat.

Tina Turner
Carole King
Todd Rundgren
Jay Z
Go-Gos
Foo Fighters

thoughts and comments?
Carole King was good. Eff Rundgren for telling half the country they are not welcome at his concerts. Music is like sports and shouldn't be political.

So, I agree Benatar should be in, but no one remembers much about her songs, influence, or style save 'Love Is a Battlefield' which is about as VH1 as it gets.
Aside from the mega stars and mega groups, I don't think the average fan (of which I am one) remembers much about influences or styles. I've never heard of many of the recent inductees. As a teen during Benatar's heyday, I recall her style being much more than "Love is a Battlefield". The woman could flat out belt it. Many other female singers starting out during that time have cited her as an influence. All I can remember about the Go-Gos is some video in which they were water skiing.

But to each his own. We all have our own preferences. That's what music is.

The Go-Gos are in the RnR HOF but Pat Benatar isn't? That's crazy to me. I like some Go-Gos songs but no way they should be in. I don't know if Pat Benatar should be in or not but if one of them gets in then it should be Pat.
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame certainly doesn't seem to be limited to Rock and Roll.

Carole King was good. Eff Rundgren for telling half the country they are not welcome at his concerts. Music is like sports and shouldn't be political.
giphy.gif

Reactions: massimoManca II
OK you're right. A lot of "peace and love" music has often been about things like protesting war. But it typically promoted love, not hate. It shouldn't be about democrats vs republicans or black vs white.. of course that's JMO.

The Go-Gos are in the Hall and Jethro Tull is not. That just about says it all.

Reactions: Nitt1300 and bytir
The Go Go’s aren’t in the same league as Rundgren.
Partial list of albums Rundgren produced:
The Band Stage Fright
All of the Bat Out of Hell albums, in fact he had to finance the first one.
XTC Skylarking
Patty Smith Wave
We’re An American Band Grand Funk
and the list goes on, in addition to his own music as well as developing high level tech that was a precursor to what we have now.

The Go Go’s aren’t in the same league as Rundgren.
Partial list of albums Rundgren produced:
The Band Stage Fright
All of the Bat Out of Hell albums, in fact he had to finance the first one.
XTC Skylarking
Patty Smith Wave
We’re An American Band Grand Funk
and the list goes on, in addition to his own music as well as developing high level tech that was a precursor to what we have now.

XTC's Skylarking is the only cassette I ever bought three copies of. One melted on the dashboard of my car in summertime, so I got another one. Then I lost it so I bought a third one. Then I found the one I lost and had two working copies.

I got rid of all that stuff (cassettes, albums, cds, etc) and just listen online now. I listened to Skylarking not too long ago for the first time in a long time and it holds up well.

Todd Rundgren also produced The Tubes. He definitely belonged in the RnR HOF a long time ago.

There are a couple songs I copied that are classics you should hear. Gogos your kidding ha. Take your ear plugs out
I know Todd Rundgren, I don’t like his music much. I’m not saying I’m a huge Go Go’s fan, but I like their sound much more than Rundgren. I find him boring.
On the other hand, if you like him listen to the hell out him. I’m not sure what taking ear plugs out means. Different tastes. I’d also listen to the Go Go’s before I’d listen to Beethoven or Mozart. I’d listen to Rundgren before them as well. I never really understand the arrogance about musical tastes.

Last edited:
It’s not a Hall of Influence it’s a Hall of Fame. No leas than half the acts don’t belong. Wouldn’t go into that place to get out of the rain.

Reactions: PSU73
Todd Rundgren should have been inducted long ago based on his production work for other artists ...

Meatloaf
Hall and Oates
Badfinger
Grand Funk Railroad
Cheap Trick
Patti Smith
Psychodelic Furs
New York Dolls
The Tubes

He belongs in the Hall of Fame.

OK you're right. A lot of "peace and love" music has often been about things like protesting war. But it typically promoted love, not hate. It shouldn't be about democrats vs republicans or black vs white.. of course that's JMO.
I recall seeing Paul Simon and a crowd member screamed something about Bush (as I recall). He basically deflected it but then sang one of his old protest-style songs. I thought that was a good way to handle it.

I don't like feeling I have to have a particular political persuasion before I'm "welcome" at a concert or sporting event--either way.

Reactions: bdgan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT