ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Updates Before WVU

lazydave841

Jan 9, 2021

Some notables:

-Reynolds continues to put on weight. Looks solid carrying it.
-Rucci with a bit of drop. Probably run it off him plus his seemingly hard to carry weight ability.
-DEs mostly shed weight, but probably a good thing.
-Allen dropped back to 220.
-Rojas finally cut some weight. Probably settling in here for now.

Nice to see DDS and Vilbert slim down some. DDS has a big frame but not as big as Courney Brown or other top PSU DE's that had the frame to play in the 270's. With the loss of Lyons Vilbert is likely now focusing on DE (vs the hybrid DE/DT he had grown into) and needs to get back all the quickness and explosiveness that he can.

Too bad Rucci couldn't keep on those 10 lbs. Franklin commented in the past how tall Rucci is, listed at 6'8", and with that frame he probably would be better with another 10-15 lbs of muscle.

DT's are very experienced but still nice to see Liam Andrews progressing weight wise as he'll get a chance to play in 2025.

Nice to see DDS and Vilbert slim down some. DDS has a big frame but not as big as Courney Brown or other top PSU DE's that had the frame to play in the 270's. With the loss of Lyons Vilbert is likely now focusing on DE (vs the hybrid DE/DT he had grown into) and needs to get back all the quickness and explosiveness that he can.

Too bad Rucci couldn't keep on those 10 lbs. Franklin commented in the past how tall Rucci is, listed at 6'8", and with that frame he probably would be better with another 10-15 lbs of muscle.

DT's are very experienced but still nice to see Liam Andrews progressing weight wise as he'll get a chance to play in 2025.

I like the flexibility of having some larger DEs. Probably 282 is a better weight than 290s, but it's good to have a plethora of body types and styles to throw at an opponent. Smith Hopefully puts it together this year.

I could be wrong assuming this, but unless Rucci starts, I feel like he's going to need Donkoh to fail to see more time. Again, just my own speculation. I think they split reps early on.l regardless before we get into Big 10 play.

Beamon up to 296. Artis at 325 and Ford at 319. Allen has 5 guys he can rely on to start inside and another 2 who could contribute if needed. Waiting to see deployments here. I think it will be fun to watch them platoon this group and wear opponents down.

he lives in Medina near where my brother-in-law lives. Turns out they used the same club during the off-season. My BiL saw him and told me he's a "monster" in real life.
I spoke with a potential vendor client earlier in the year who is from Ohio and knows the family. He indicated Drew and his entire family are just really excellent, wholesome people with a great work ethic. I hope the kid puts it together this year. He certainly looks the part. Hack looked the part too, though!

I like the flexibility of having some larger DEs. Probably 282 is a better weight than 290s, but it's good to have a plethora of body types and styles to throw at an opponent. Smith Hopefully puts it together this year.

I could be wrong assuming this, but unless Rucci starts, I feel like he's going to need Donkoh to fail to see more time. Again, just my own speculation. I think they split reps early on.l regardless before we get into Big 10 play.

Beamon up to 296. Artis at 325 and Ford at 319. Allen has 5 guys he can rely on to start inside and another 2 who could contribute if needed. Waiting to see deployments here. I think it will be fun to watch them platoon this group and wear opponents down.
Yep, Franklin said that regardless of who starts both Donkoh and Rucci will play. I'm betting that Donkoh starts as well. Haven't heard much about if Williams is now good enough to actually play at LT when Shelton needs a breather or gets nicked. Maybe Rucci backs up both sides regardless as to what the depth chart says.

I also like having some bigger DE's, as long a they "play big", i.e. don't get run over by oh-high-ya's running game........

Given the frame of Beamon it makes me wonder if he'll be effective at that weight. Definitely have some nice size and experience at DT, and it will be needed at WVU as they ran pretty effectively against PSU last season.

Reactions: lazydave841

I am actually very concerned Rucci lost that weight considering his height. I hope I’m wrong, but I fear better DE’s getting leverage on him. Regarding weight, has there ever been a PSU player who has fluctuated as much as Beamon? He has had this range of about 40 pounds of fluctuation over the years. I also know it’s tough to keep weight while exerting that amount of energy on a consistent basis like a football player or a wrestler.

I am actually very concerned Rucci lost that weight considering his height. I hope I’m wrong, but I fear better DE’s getting leverage on him. Regarding weight, has there ever been a PSU player who has fluctuated as much as Beamon? He has had this range of about 40 pounds of fluctuation over the years. I also know it’s tough to keep weight while exerting that amount of energy on a consistent basis like a football player or a wrestler.
Yep, I seem to remember Frankin commenting on Rucci and how much taller he is than the other PSU OT's and how he still looked slim even after he went through winter S&C going into Spring practices. Hopefully Shelton and Donkoh stay healthy but it would be encouraging to hear more about the OT depth chart.

Hard to get much information when the reporters are more concerned with asking about the AD's contract extension than they are the players during the season opening game week PC........... Just too many questions that seem cute but don't get Franklin to say much, and they only let so many questions be asked and answered.....

Last edited:
Yep, Franklin said that regardless of who starts both Donkoh and Rucci will play. I'm betting that Donkoh starts as well. Haven't heard much about if Williams is now good enough to actually play at LT when Shelton needs a breather or gets nicked. Maybe Rucci backs up both sides regardless as to what the depth chart says.

I also like having some bigger DE's, as long a they "play big", i.e. don't get run over by oh-high-ya's running game........

Given the frame of Beamon it makes me wonder if he'll be effective at that weight. Definitely have some nice size and experience at DT, and it will be needed at WVU as they ran pretty effectively against PSU last season.

If I were guessing today, I think Nelson is your #2 LT if Shelton is hurt, but JVen is your garbage time #2.

I don't think they want Rucci swapping sides, but could be wrong. I figure Donkoh is probably stronger run blocker, Rucci better pass protection and they will evaluate live games to figure it out.

We've all been begging for Beamon to gain weight since his 268 lbs days. It doesn't appear they "ran the weight off" the DT room. We have a slew of guys that can rotate. I wonder if it looks like this:

1- Durant/ JThomas
2- Beamon/Izzard
3- Durant/ Ford
4- Beamon/JThomas
5- Durant/Izzard
6- Beamon/Ford

Until they utilize Artis and Blanding, I'm unsure how they figure in.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Yep, I seem to remember Frankin commenting on Rucci and how much taller he is than the other PSU OT's and how he still looked slim even after he went through winter S&C going into Spring practices. Hopefully Shelton and Donkoh stay healthy but it would be encouraging to hear more about the OT depth chart. Hard to get much information when the reporters are more concerned with asking about the AD's contract extension than they are the players during the game week PC........... Just too many questions that seem cute but don't get Franklin to say much, and they only let so many questions be asked and answered.....
Agree, some of the questions from reporters are unnecessary. During gameweek, who cares about the AD?

If I were guessing today, I think Nelson is your #2 LT if Shelton is hurt, but JVen is your garbage time #2.

I don't think they want Rucci swapping sides, but could be wrong. I figure Donkoh is probably stronger run blocker, Rucci better pass protection and they will evaluate live games to figure it out.

We've all been begging for Beamon to gain weight since his 268 lbs days. It doesn't appear they "ran the weight off" the DT room. We have a slew of guys that can rotate. I wonder if it looks like this:

1- Durant/ JThomas
2- Beamon/Izzard
3- Durant/ Ford
4- Beamon/JThomas
5- Durant/Izzard
6- Beamon/Ford

Sure hope Arts and Blanding receive some meaningful PT this season to gather an assessment of their play. Staff needs to determine if they can contribute now and especially next year.

1- Durant/ JThomas
2- Beamon/Izzard
3- Durant/ Ford
4- Beamon/JThomas
5- Durant/Izzard
6- Beamon/Ford

Bet your correct about Nelson. Nelson may be the 2nd most experienced olinemen, next to Wormley and always seems to get mentioned by the coaches, so going into the Spring it seemed logical that he would end up as a starter for the first game this season. But without starting I'm betting he sees the most playing time of any non starter, and will become a starter with an injury at any position other than Center and Right OT.

Franklin lightly complemented Ford, but I'm betting Ford gets a pretty consistent spot in the DT rotation and then comes back for 2025 as a starter or in the 2 deep at least.

Reactions: lazydave841
Agree, some of the questions from reporters are unnecessary. During gameweek, who cares about the AD?
Yep, the questions should either be about the opponent strengths and weaknesses (which Joe considered his game plan and wouldn't answer), or about players and depth at each position. Just one position at a time, go right through the offense and defense. And now before the first game which freshmen are green lighted, and then which are yellow lighted. After Franklin talked about the green lights and mentioned Denmark, the next question should have been "who else of the true freshman has done well in Fall camp and might be considered a yellow light with a chance to play going forward, due to further development or if an injury happens at his position?".

Get some info instead of schmoozing Franklin!!!!

Last edited:
Get some info instead of schmoozing Franklin!!!!

I cannot stand all the "good afternoon, how are you James?" Stuff from every reporter. If you are first, fine. You can say it, he'll answer, and we'll all know.

From then on, go straight into your question.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT