ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Title Game Thread

The committee isn’t leaving out a 12-1 p5 conference champ in favor of another p5 conference champ they have the h2h win over.
We’ll see. They love to talk about ‘body of work’.

Texas schedule-

Rice W 37-10
@ #3 Alabama W 34-24
Wyoming W 31-10
@ Baylor W 38-6
#24 Kansas W 40-14
#12 Oklahoma L 34-30
@ Houston W 31-24
BYU 35-6
#25 KSU W 33-30 in OT
@TCU W 29-26
@ Iowa St W 26-16
Texas Tech 57-7
#18 Oklahoma St W 49-21

Alabama schedule-

Middle Tennessee W 56-7
#11 Texas L 34-24
@USF W 17-3
#15 Ole Miss W 24-10
@ Mississippi St W 40-17
@ Texas AM W 26-20
Arkansas W 24-21
#17 Tennessee W 34-20
#14 LSU W 42-28
@ Kentucky W 49-21
Tennessee- Chattanooga W 66-10
@ Auburn W 27-24
#1 Georgia W 27-24

Texas ranked wins- Alabama, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State.

Alabama ranked wins- Georgia, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and LSU.

Last edited:

Texas schedule-

Rice W 37-10
@ #3 Alabama W 34-24
Wyoming W 31-10
@ Baylor W 38-6
#24 Kansas W 40-14
#12 Oklahoma L 34-30
@ Houston W 31-24
BYU 35-6
#25 KSU W 33-30 in OT
@TCU W 29-26
@ Iowa St W 26-16
Texas Tech 57-7
#18 Oklahoma St W 49-21

Alabama schedule-

Middle Tennessee W 56-7
#11 Texas L 34-24
@USF W 17-3
#15 Ole Miss W 24-10
@ Mississippi St W 40-17
@ Texas AM W 26-20
Arkansas W 24-21
#17 Tennessee W 34-20
#14 LSU W 42-28
@ Kentucky W 49-21
@ Auburn W 27-24
#1 Georgia W 27-24

What happened in week 2? Having a little trouble reading it.

Reactions: doctornick
See--this is the problem--it's not ONLY about that game

You’re making it only about todays game. It’s not about that game. It’s not about the loss to Texas. It’s not about the 3 point win against Arkansas. It’s only about beating UGA.

You’re making it only about todays game.
I'm not at all. I'm talking complete resume. You aren't.
Look at record vs. Top 25
Look at quality wins
Look at the quality of their loss
Alabama was 8 before today Texas was 7
Alabama beat 1 and OK State beat 18
Using logic--who is ranked higher tomorrow?

I'm not at all. I'm talking complete resume. You aren't.
Look at record vs. Top 25
Look at quality wins
Look at the quality of their loss
Alabama was 8 before today Texas was 7
Alabama beat 1 and OK State beat 18
Using logic--who is ranked higher tomorrow?

Texas.

Their best win looks even better after today.

What happened in week 2? Having a little trouble reading it.

Yeah in week 2 they beat Alabama. That was 3 months ago.

What happened today? Alabama beat #1 Georgia in Atlanta.

We’ll find out tomorrow.

Not when the team ahead of them beat them by 10 and won their CCG by 4 touchdowns.
Against Ok State who lost by 42 to UCF
All conference championship games are the same as you damn well know
Stop playing stupid because you know you're wrong

Yeah in week 2 they beat Alabama. That was 3 months ago.

What happened today? Alabama beat #1 Georgia in Atlanta.

We’ll find out tomorrow.
Based on posts like this, we shouldn’t read any more posts about Penn State’s terrible OOC schedule. If scheduling a top notch opponent and beating them shouldn’t help you get in the playoffs, then why do it?

Reactions: GSPMax
Florida State's best win after this game will be LSU which was week 1
That's really good enough to earn a playoff spot?
Georgia at least has two top 11 wins, as does Washington, as does Michigan and as does Alabama. Those are the 4 teams that should be in. Quality wins matters.

If you think this is what happens, then why all the UGA posts?
Because I think the other post is what SHOULD happen not what will happen
I think it should be Michigan, Washington, Georgia and pick one of the 4. Hopefully the committee does the right thing and leaves FSU out and puts Georgia in.

Texas schedule-

Rice W 37-10
@ #3 Alabama W 34-24
Wyoming W 31-10
@ Baylor W 38-6
#24 Kansas W 40-14
#12 Oklahoma L 34-30
@ Houston W 31-24
BYU 35-6
#25 KSU W 33-30 in OT
@TCU W 29-26
@ Iowa St W 26-16
Texas Tech 57-7
#18 Oklahoma St W 49-21

Alabama schedule-

Middle Tennessee W 56-7
#11 Texas L 34-24
@USF W 17-3
#15 Ole Miss W 24-10
@ Mississippi St W 40-17
@ Texas AM W 26-20
Arkansas W 24-21
#17 Tennessee W 34-20
#14 LSU W 42-28
@ Kentucky W 49-21
@ Auburn W 27-24
#1 Georgia W 27-24

Texas ranked wins- Alabama, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State.

Alabama ranked wins- Georgia, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and LSU.
And Bama should have lost to Auburn.

Reactions: psu00
Based on posts like this, we shouldn’t read any more posts about Penn State’s terrible OOC schedule. If scheduling a top notch opponent and beating them shouldn’t help you get in the playoffs, then why do it?
No. It’s the exact opposite actually.

No one’s saying it doesn’t help (compared to say beating Delaware or Temple or UMass). It helps a lot.

If Texas had played Delaware instead of Bama we wouldn’t even be discussing this. It would be Alabama getting the spot without question.

Last edited:
No. No one’s saying it doesn’t help (compared to say beating Delaware or Temple or UMass). It helps a lot.

If Texas had played Delaware instead of Bama we wouldn’t even be discussing this. It would be Alabama getting the spot without question.
But they played Bama and beat them yet people want the committee to ignore that, so how did it benefit them? It just got them more in the discussion? Doesn’t seem like a equitable trade off.

Because I think the other post is what SHOULD happen not what will happen
I think it should be Michigan, Washington, Georgia and pick one of the 4. Hopefully the committee does the right thing and leaves FSU out and puts Georgia in.

That doesn't make sense either. You have said Bama and UGA over Texas should happen. That post doesn't meet that.

That doesn't make sense either. You have said Bama and UGA over Texas should happen. That post doesn't meet that.
They SHOULD be--like you said "you have said Bama and UGA over Texas SHOULD happen"
RIght--it should
I think they leave FSU out. The networks will be happy and no one cares it the ACC is mad.

They SHOULD be--like you said "you have said Bama and UGA over Texas SHOULD happen"
RIght--it should
I think they leave FSU out. The networks will be happy and no one cares it the ACC is mad.

That puts us back to your posts about UGA. You said the committee won't drop them, but agree with a post that says they will. I think you are arguing on so many fronts that it isn't possible to keep up with.

That puts us back to your posts about UGA. You said the committee won't drop them, but agree with a post that says they will. I think you are arguing on so many fronts that it isn't possible to keep up with.
There's different arguments depending on the discussion. If its what should happen or the past then its about Georgia not falling. If it's what will happen it's a different story as I think they'll put Bama in but it should be Georgia.

But they played Bama and beat them yet people want the committee to ignore that, so how did it benefit them? It just got them more in the discussion? Doesn’t seem like a equitable trade off.

No one is saying the committee ignores it.

They are saying that the committee always talks about the “body of work”. That win over Bama clearly comes into play but so does the fact that it was in week 2 and we are now in week 14 where Bama just beat the 2 time defending champion Georgia on a 29 (?) game win streak in Atlanta. They are going to look at everything, not just 1 game 3 months ago.

The real issue here is FSU. Does an undefeated team get left out? If they do, Bama and Texas are in. If they say an undefeated P5 can’t be left out then the debate rages.

Last edited:
Reactions: LandoComando
Fact
And if that was a playoff game it would mean more but here we are

Name another sport where a two way tiebreaker between two teams with identical records isn’t the h2h result?

I bet the tiebreaker in the sec in such a scenario is h2h.

Why? Because it’s ****ing obvious.

Name another sport where a two way tiebreaker between two teams with identical records isn’t the h2h result?

Absolutely. That’s why no one is really arguing for Bama over Texas anymore. People have conceded that it’s an asinine argument.

The narrative has shifted to FSU not being worthy despite never losing.

Why do you keep saying it's a tiebreaker? They didn't play in the same league or have similar schedules.
We have to determine the teams are comparable to get to a tiebreaker. You may claim they are. I don't. I think with the Georgia win that Bama is comfortably above them but now the committee decides.
I hope just to confuse everyone Georgia is 3 tomorrow lol

Absolutely. That’s why no one is really arguing for Bama over Texas anymore. People have conceded that it’s an asinine argument.

We’ve got a guy here who is.
Why do you keep saying it's a tiebreaker? They didn't play in the same league or have similar schedules.
We have to determine the teams are comparable to get to a tiebreaker. You may claim they are. I don't. I think with the Georgia win that Bama is comfortably above them but now the committee decides.
I hope just to confuse everyone Georgia is 3 tomorrow lol

NFL teams play unbalanced schedules and h2h still decides tiebreakers.

You’re being asinine implying 12-1 big 12 champ with a victory over the sec champ isn’t a comparable team to 12-1 sec champ with a loss to the big 12 champ. If they’re not comparable teams then they’re not comparable in the opposite direction you’re arguing for.

That is the big question in this mess and depending on that decision could erase the whole Bama vs Texas debate.

Do they leave out an undefeated P5 champ? It’s never been done before. If anything, the committee has always valued being undefeated over everything else.

Do they chuck that precedent this year? If they do, Bama and Texas are in.

If they don’t, then the Bama vs Texas debate rages and do they then leave the SEC out of the playoff completely?

I totally understand those who say they should, but I’ve seen enough funny math (eye test, body of work, etc) done in the past that makes me wonder if they’ll really do it.

The SEC meltdown tomorrow would be epic if they go with Michigan, Washington, FSU, and Texas. 😎

That is the big question in this mess and depending on that decision could erase the whole Bama vs Texas debate.

Do they leave out an undefeated P5 champ? It’s never been done before. If anything, the committee has always valued being undefeated over everything else.

Do they chuck that precedent this year? If they do, Bama and Texas are in.

If they don’t, then the Bama vs Texas debate rages and do they then leave the SEC out of the playoff completely?

I totally understand those who say they should, but I’ve seen enough funny math (eye test, body of work, etc) done in the past that makes me wonder if they’ll really do it.

The SEC meltdown tomorrow would be epic if they go with Michigan, Washington, FSU, and Texas. 😎
The least controversial thing to do is take Texas and FSU.

Leave out FSU and you are putting too much stock in “the eye test” and ignoring the years of precedent that fewest losses has been the primary criteria for entry. It also creates the argument that “what else could FSU do?” - you are going to exclude a team that doesn’t have any blemishes? Do they really to go with a situation where a player gets hurt and thus you diminish the team’s accomplishments?

Leaving out Texas just totally ignores head to head results and argues for a disincentive to playing high caliber non conference games if you aren’t going to give any credit there.

Leaving out Bama leads to an argument of… what exactly? That you shouldn’t leave out the SEC? Is that like some fundamental criteria of the CFP we should be observing?

Reactions: psu00 and ryoder1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT