ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Did generations of greatness celebration omit Paterno??

Sorry....with out the prior coaches (not just Paterno) there would be no "athletes". Without the best athletes, there would be no great coaches.

PSU was a podunk college in the fields of central PA before Rip and Joe. The stadium, for example, was around 57,000 when Joe took over. Today, its around 109,000. It is hard to find a university who so benefited from their football program than PSU. If you don't recognize how important Paterno has been to PSU you are a fool.

In 1966 PSU had 34,000 total students. I would hardly
call a University with 34,000 students and a 57,000 seat stadium in 1966 a
a "podunk college". But I am sane and you deranged cult members choose
to believe such B.S.

to believe such B.S.

And you think without the coaches there would have been teams to field... seriously... are people naturally this moronic? or do you have to work at it?

And you think without the coaches there would have been teams to field... seriously... are people naturally this moronic? or do you have to work at it?

Apparently, it is only Penn State fans who celebrate past coaches. You never see that at alabama, Tosu, or michigan, for example.

Reactions: BBrown and Madsol
The student athletes are the reason we have generations of greatness to celebrate. Not Joe Paterno, James franklin or anyone else. People act like he was Gepetto. All those kids deserve the credit.
No one is denying the kids credit, but greatness in any endeavor is a collaborative effort. Battles are not won without soldiers and soldiers do not win battles without leadership. So it is on the football field. It requires the efforts of players and coaches. To suggest it was only the kids is absurd.

Penn State University would be a very fine academic institution even if we had no athletics at all.

It was our destiny. We're the land-grant institution in the 6th-largest state in the country. We're very near some of the biggest population/knowledge/$$$ centers in America: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, NYC, and Washington DC. Not to mention cities like Cleveland, Baltimore, Boston, et cetera.

It would be basically impossible for us NOT to become one of the best academic land-grant schools in the country.

No one is denying the kids credit, but greatness in any endeavor is a collaborative effort. Battles are not won without soldiers and soldiers do not win battles without leadership. So it is on the football field. It requires the efforts of players and coaches. To suggest it was only the kids is absurd.

Jack Ham and Franco Harris are kids?

to believe such B.S.

In 1966 PSU football was pretty much ignored nationally. We, and the rest of the eastern independents were considered weak, and picked to lose every damn bowl game we went to by the national press. This was true, despite the fact that PSU, West Virginia, Syracuse, and even Pitt won a majority of those bowl games. The greatness in this football program came on the shoulders of Joe Paterno and Jim Tarman without any disrespect to Rip and his predecessors nor the players. I revere Rip.... (that should be obvious) But to deny who lifted the program to great heights with integrity.... is truly delusional.

to believe such B.S.
If you have truth on your side, why misrepresent? 12K of those were in commonwealth campuses, so the number is 22K. The OP also said Rip and Joe, which takes us back to 11K in 1950.

Reactions: nits74 and BBrown
The student athletes are the reason we have generations of greatness to celebrate. Not Joe Paterno, James franklin or anyone else. People act like he was Gepetto. All those kids deserve the credit.
So what you are really saying, without realizing it, is that coaches are unnecessary. Why not just have player coaches, or even message board poster volunteers. That is asinine. Who do you think recruits, trains, teaches, molds and motivates players, much less designs plays and schemes, putsin place game plans, calls plays, makes strategy decisions, and otherwise puts players in a position to succeed. Furthermore, even if we one were to accept your idiotic premise that coaches are of minimal importance, we are aren’t just talking about any old coach here. There may not be another coach in the history of sports who had a bigger impact on his team and his university than Joe.

Penn State University would be a very fine academic institution even if we had no athletics at all.

It was our destiny. We're the land-grant institution in the 6th-largest state in the country. We're very near some of the biggest population/knowledge/$$$ centers in America: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, NYC, and Washington DC. Not to mention cities like Cleveland, Baltimore, Boston, et cetera.

It would be basically impossible for us NOT to become one of the best academic land-grant schools in the country.

I thought that MSU was the land grant university in Michigan and not UM; are you saying that your university (UMich) was a land grant university too? Wouldn't "hob-knobbing" with the 'sons of the rank and file' be below you Mich'gan Men?

So what you are really saying, without realizing it, is that coaches are unnecessary. Why not just have player coaches, or even message board poster volunteers. That is asinine. Who do you think recruits, trains, teaches, molds and motivates players, much less designs plays and schemes, putsin place game plans, calls plays, makes strategy decisions, and otherwise puts players in a position to succeed. Furthermore, even if we one were to accept your idiotic premise that coaches are of minimal importance, we are aren’t just talking about any old coach here. There may not be another coach in the history of sports who had a bigger impact on his team and his university than Joe.

Coaches are of minimal importance. That's why the best of them are paid millions of dollars a year.

I don't want them to honor JVP. The dick heads who run PSU aren't smart enough to see how foolish they look.
JVP put eastern football back in the national conversation.

You are a nut.

That's not very nice OL!

Another poster touched on this but i'm not saying it was ONLY joe - but he had an ENORMOUS impact on what this university is, like it or not.

IT started with Rip, continued with Joe and will continue on CFJ (otherwise known as JoePa 2.0)!

Who we are is a University that cares more than just about wins and losses. During the game Saturday, I was just as proud of the 200+ student athletes who had 3.0's or better that were recognized on the field as the score of the game itself.

Joe cultivated that culture that a University is about more than just athletics - that Student-Athletes are "Students" first and foremost.

That would have been true whether the scandal happened or not.

However, with regards to the scandal, I work in the field and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that what Joe did was correct so I can state without hesitation that he did exactly what he should have, in his role, with that information, at that time !!

As you ponder how right I am, consider the following quote:

All things are subject to interpretation, whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. ---Nietzsche

So what is your point? Nobody is saying that Joe single-handedly turned PSU into the university that it is today, just that he, unlike the vast majority of his peers, played a vital role in the schools overall growth and success. An achievement like that is worthy of remembrance, recognition and respect.

What about the person who lines the field....without him it would be very difficult to decide whether a run was for a first down........and the guys who set up the pylons, or paint the endzone.....all of them are equally important as Joe PA and they never get any credit either.

Reactions: Osprey Lion

Pay attention and try to keep up.

Where do you pull this shit from? No... no need to answer that.

We have been discussing why no coaches were included in the Generations of Greatness celebrations... you can't have ATHLETES without COACHES!

You appear to be a natural.

You can "LOL" all you want - just shows your ignorance!
LOL. I’m sure Joe was key in securing research contracts and national recognition for academics. He gave a speech to the BOT about being better so it’s all him!!!!

LOL.

LOL. I’m sure Joe was key in securing research contracts and national recognition for academics. He gave a speech to the BOT about being better so it’s all him!!!!

LOL.

never said it was ALL him.....just that he had a impact, which he did

What about the person who lines the field....without him it would be very difficult to decide whether a run was for a first down........and the guys who set up the pylons, or paint the endzone.....all of them are equally important as Joe PA and they never get any credit either.

Don't forget the architects who designed the stadiums... the workers who built them... or the workers who made the steel! They are all more important than the coaches! ;)

Reactions: PSU Soupy
So what is your point? Nobody is saying that Joe single-handedly turned PSU into the university that it is today, just that he, unlike the vast majority of his peers, played a vital role in the schools overall growth and success. An achievement like that is worthy of remembrance, recognition and respect.

Joe's role was far from vital. Sorry.

In an alternate universe where Penn State went 3-9 every year in football from 1966 to 2011 --- (1) we'd STILL be in the Big Ten (for God's sake, this conference also invited Rutgers and their Patriot League-Level athletic program), and (2) we'd STILL be a very highly-rated academic institution, similar to where we are today.

To anticipate your response ... blah blah blah Speech in 1982 blah blah blah. In the BWI world, that damn speech is 10 times better than the combination of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address and Winston Churchill's spring 1940 speeches to the House of Commons!

Last edited:
I thought that MSU was the land grant university in Michigan and not UM; are you saying that your university (UMich) was a land grant university too? Wouldn't "hob-knobbing" with the 'sons of the rank and file' be below you Mich'gan Men?

Penn State's a better academic institution than Michigan State, yes.

A natural outgrowth of (1) being in a larger state, and (2) greater proximity to more population/knowledge/wealth bases. The combo of Pittsburgh/Philly/NYC/Washington DC trumps Detroit & Chicago.

Joe is recognized by Penn State.

If Old Main took his name off the library --- then you'd have a point. That, of course, didn't happen.

Further recognizing? That's probably not going to happen though. Like it or not, that's reality. We're moving forward vs. continuing the debate about someone with a now-scarred name.

You know, the guy that help our Library become one of the best in the Country, created scholarship endowments for the Classics, helped fund the Spiritual Center, and put academics ahead of yours and michnittlion's "Win At All Costs" philosophy.

That Joe.

I have a "win at all costs" philosophy?

In an alternate universe where Penn State went 3-9 every year in football from 1966 to 2011 --- (1) we'd STILL be in the Big Ten (for God's sake, this conference also invited Rutgers and their Patriot League-Level athletic program), and (2) we'd STILL be a very highly-rated academic institution, similar to where we are today.

To anticipate your response ... blah blah blah Speech in 1982 blah blah blah. In the BWI world, that damn speech is 10 times better than the combination of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address and Winston Churchill's 4-June-1940 speech to the House of Commons!

You and jive should quit while you're behind. You both come across like bigger f$&cking buffoons with each and every post.

You and jive should quit while you're behind. You both come across like bigger f$&cking buffoons with each and every post.

I speak truth.

Just look at Rutgers! A land-grant school like us but instead with historically terrible athletics.

Yet they're basically just as good an academic school as we (generally lower in rankings but not by much)!

Athletics simply aren't a leading-driver of academic quality.

I wonder when Pitt does their "generations of mediocrity" celebration. Can't wait to see a mashup of their horrid uniforms. They can of course pay tribute to 1976 team, their only national championship, by having simulated money sticking out of their pants pockets.

To anticipate your response ... blah blah blah Speech in 1982 blah blah blah. In the BWI world, that damn speech is 10 times better than the combination of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address and Winston Churchill's 4-June-1940 speech to the House of Commons!

We would be still be in the Big Ten if we had a loser list of brain dead, academically challenged coaches and went 3-9 every year from 1966 to 2011??????????? You're kidding, right?????? :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

In 2011, Rutgers, with their demographics, would be a FAR superior option to an athletically inferior farm school with a worse football history than the University of Buffalo. Why the f_ck would the B1G want to add a farm school sporting a 135-405 record over the previous 45 years??? I guarantee you we wouldn't be filling up any 50,000 seat stadiums, let alone any 109,000 seat stadiums. Heck. Pitt would be a better option than us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT