ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: the PI in the endzone early on

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
OK, I am presuming this was discussed in the game thread (discussed is a nice way to say it) and possibly later on... I was not around for either.

But I did see what I thought was a strange call in the endzone (I do not have a clip and don't know the players.. thought one was Haley).

We get a great rush on the QB and he throws a turkey into the EZ that no one has a real chance at catching. Our defender has the inside and the receiver has the outside closest to the sideline. There is a bunch of hand-checking on both sides.

Players see ball is 10-15 feet from where they are and both make a move for it. The msu guy pretty much plows over our defender who had the inside track and was closest to the ball.

when the flag is tossed I smile, assuming it's on them for impeding our path to a free ball. I stop smiling when it goes the other way.

Does anyone recollect the play and have something to offer as to why it shook out as it did.. or did the refs just dick us over?

We won't discuss the "catch" before lightning did us in (nor shall we discuss the gesicki "catch".. i presumed the latter lunacy was to make up for the earlier gift to us.. lol.

Reactions: GuStHeCaT
OK, I am presuming this was discussed in the game thread (discussed is a nice way to say it) and possibly later on... I was not around for either.

But I did see what I thought was a strange call in the endzone (I do not have a clip and don't know the players.. thought one was Haley).

We get a great rush on the QB and he throws a turkey into the EZ that no one has a real chance at catching. Our defender has the inside and the receiver has the outside closest to the sideline. There is a bunch of hand-checking on both sides.

Players see ball is 10-15 feet from where they are and both make a move for it. The msu guy pretty much plows over our defender who had the inside track and was closest to the ball.

when the flag is tossed I smile, assuming it's on them for impeding our path to a free ball. I stop smiling when it goes the other way.

Does anyone recollect the play and have something to offer as to why it shook out as it did.. or did the refs just dick us over?

We won't discuss the "catch" before lightning did us in (nor shall we discuss the gesicki "catch".. i presumed the latter lunacy was to make up for the earlier gift to us.. lol.

Dicked over.

Another strange play was the chop block (I think) on PSU - who was the kicking team. Why and how on earth doea a guy trying to make a tackle get called for that?!?!

I was totally perplexed by that, you are taught to get lower than the man when tackling. I was it an illegal block when we are the kicking team!!!!

Another strange play was the chop block (I think) on PSU - who was the kicking team. Why and how on earth doea a guy trying to make a tackle get called for that?!?!
I don't have the rule in front of me but looked it up at the time. The problem seemed to be that he was taking on the lead blocker not trying to make the tackle.

Reactions: Mister Magoo
Also on one of the interceptions by MSU, the PSU receiver (Hamilton I believe) was on target to get the ball and was pushed from behind face planting into the turf. Blatant PI not called and easy interception made by MSU because the DB was at the spot where the PSU WR would have been if he continued his route instead of eating mud. The officials called practically nothing on MSU DB’s throughout the game, but numerous iffy calls on the PSU DB’s. IMO, this set the tone for the game allowing the MSU DB’s to play very aggressively and the PSU DB’s having to play tentatively and with less tight coverage.

It was a horrible call. Not only wasn't it PI, Haley played it perfect and had great position plus the ball was never
catchable.
Now compare that one to the one where Juwan Johnson drug the defender 5 yards into the EZ because the defender had a hold of Johnson's pants and wouldn't let go. No call. WTF.

Also on one of the interceptions by MSU, the PSU receiver (Hamilton I believe) was on target to get the ball and was pushed from behind face planting into the turf. Blatant PI not called and easy interception made by MSU because the DB was at the spot where the PSU WR would have been if he continued his route instead of eating mud. The officials called practically nothing on MSU DB’s throughout the game, but numerous iffy calls on the PSU DB’s. IMO, this set the tone for the game allowing the MSU DB’s to play very aggressively and the PSU DB’s having to play tentatively and with less tight coverage.

Yep. I'm not about to blame this loss on the officials because we deserved to lose that game, but MSU was tugging and holding our WRs all over the place and never getting called for it. But then our DBs would get called for ticky tack (or equal hand checking) infractions. It was a crock. If we played better and lost because of it, I would be more pissed off about it.

Yup. That one was awful. Pretty sure it was #3 not 5.

First game I thought all year where PSU was the recipient of several bad calls. That call was really bad as Haley had inside position and was looking for the ball. He has as much right to the ball as anyone, just a really bad call and it cost PSU points. The no call on Blacknall and JJ were bad considering how tight PSU was getting called for PI. So either cal everything or let them play, but the calls went against PSU.

The Scott penalty on the kick-off was borderline. You cannot be the gunner and just hit people low to try and clear a path. Although the replay showed it was a thigh high type hit, so not really low at the shins/knees where the danger occurs. Again, another penalty that you rarely see called and when it is called, is typically pretty egregious and Scott's hit was not.

It was a horrible call. Not only wasn't it PI, Haley played it perfect and had great position plus the ball was never
catchable.
Now compare that one to the one where Juwan Johnson drug the defender 5 yards into the EZ because the defender had a hold of Johnson's pants and wouldn't let go. No call. WTF.

Johnson could have probably had a deserved call or two had he thrown a fit like the MSU receivers do on every pass they don't catch.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
I think a lot of the defensive style that MSU plays (and to some extent Pitt has tried and failed to play; see their VT game last year) relies on them philosophically treating defensive PI like offensive holding. It occurs on ever play and you bank on the fact that the refs won't call it all the time.

It's crap and the refs should be consistent with their flags.

There was one of those in the Ohio State game as well. Seems to me like the ball should at least be catchable.

Yet the atomic wedgie on 84, right in view of the ref, was OK.
And not a word from the announcing crew on that one.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
catchable.

Spot on. Haley had perfect position and played it perfect! Couldn't believe the call since you couldn't defend a pass any better, it was text book coverage, and not even close to being PI.

Johnson could have probably had a deserved call or two had he thrown a fit like the MSU receivers do on every pass they don't catch.
EXACTLY, These refs are influenced by the crowd and the complainers.

That non call on JJ cost us the game.

The pass was perfectly thrown and the defender blatantly used JJ as pulley to make that play (pulling JJ back and using jj to elevate himself up to make the deflection). It should have been an easy call. Notice the home teams generally get more of these calls than the away team. Home crowd influences the refs.

I generally hate the Pass interference calls, because many times it's really not pass interference, but the crowd reacts and the receiver throws up his arms, the defender acts guilty and then the flag comes.

And then JJ is robbed on blatant interference.

(I will say the we got away with interference on the OSU receiver last year which saved the game, but it was a bang bang play that doesn't always get called.)

Thanks for bringing this up. The call on Haley on the wounded duck in the end zone was total BS. Offensive PI if any call should even have been made. Also the second INT was made possible by a flagrant PI on Thompkins by the MSU safety (Dowell) that went uncalled. You can see him push the receiver to the turf with both hands then turn around and - oh lookie! - there's the ball, for an easy pick.

Much ado was made of the Gesicki reception in the first quarter which was confirmed (or 'not overruled') by replay, but MSU definitely had an officiating tailwind on Saturday.

catchable.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Reactions: Greg80

Anyone have a picture of it? I was trying to find it and can't find one of the bogus PI call.

Anyone have a picture of it? I was trying to find it and can't find one of the bogus PI call.
Seems only way ur going to see it is on video replay.

IMO, whoever made the call should not be in the reffing business.

Ever again.

All this crap officiating caused the better team to lose and may cause the B10 to not have a playoff representative. A 1 loss PSU team was sitting pretty.

All this crap officiating caused the better team to lose and may cause the B10 to not have a playoff representative. A 1 loss PSU team was sitting pretty.
Well, maybe....I do think some crucial calls went against PSU, but factors like 3 turnovers and not being able to stop Michigan State on several 3rd and long situations were more important factors in winning or losing.

Thanks for bringing this up. The call on Haley on the wounded duck in the end zone was total BS. Offensive PI if any call should even have been made. Also the second INT was made possible by a flagrant PI on Thompkins by the MSU safety (Dowell) that went uncalled. You can see him push the receiver to the turf with both hands then turn around and - oh lookie! - there's the ball, for an easy pick.

Much ado was made of the Gesicki reception in the first quarter which was confirmed (or 'not overruled') by replay, but MSU definitely had an officiating tailwind on Saturday.

Just re watched that pick. It looked like they're Was some foot contact. But in reality that was a bad decision by trace compounded by an even worse throw

my g/f (as you might recall) is new to college football. She was screaming at the TV, "Why is that a penalty on US???"

I just shook my head and said, "Welcome to the Big Ten, hun"

my g/f (as you might recall) is new to college football. She was screaming at the TV, "Why is that a penalty on US???"

I just shook my head and said, "Welcome to the Big Ten, hun"
Isn't that the truth. I don't remember the ref crew at the game but they did a poor job. Yet that is what I expect and when we have a reasonably called game usually it is one against a largely inferior team. Haley got hosed and our receivers got mugged at MSU.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror

I was more upset by the holding calls. Several blatant holds on MSU with nothing called. A couple of them on critical plays including a 3rd and something like 22 late in the third quarter where they converted on a long pass.

here you make the call!!!
Thanks for posting that. There is no way that is PI. Haley had position (and has a right to his space) and the WR initiates contact trying to come back to the ball.

If anything, the WR impeded Haley's ability to get back to the ball (which would be offensive PI), but I would have been OK with a no call there, because I don't think the ball was catchable by either player.

I think a lot of the defensive style that MSU plays (and to some extent Pitt has tried and failed to play; see their VT game last year) relies on them philosophically treating defensive PI like offensive holding. It occurs on ever play and you bank on the fact that the refs won't call it all the time.

It's crap and the refs should be consistent with their flags.

Good analysis. Also why MSU DBs struggle in the NFL - they're not used to being called for obvious PI, much like Michigan/OSU offensive lineman who have to relearn the position when they can't tackle the opposing DL on every play.

And remember, there is no difference between the receiver and defender when the ball is in the air so, watch again and imagine if Haley was the receiver and White the defender. According to the rules, the call would be the same. There is no way the call should go against Haley.

Part of the problem with these missed calls is that so much hand action is allowed between opposing players while running routes and on balls in the air that defenders can get away with things that are partly hidden from view to the referees. It won't happen but I would prefer to see more hand action get flagged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT