ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP...UBuff punter

Player2BNamedL8r

Jan 3, 2012
RI
Had surgery today to repair fractured fibula and tibia. Tweeted the following:

The medical staff from Penn State and UB have done an incredible job taking care of me. I am fortunate to be in such great hands. I am so blessed to be able to have my parents and brother here to comfort while in this time of need. This injury is nothing but another mountain to climb.

Hope the kid makes a full recovery. Thoughts and prayers to him, his team, and his family.

Had surgery today to repair fractured fibula and tibia. Tweeted the following:

The medical staff from Penn State and UB have done an incredible job taking care of me. I am fortunate to be in such great hands. I am so blessed to be able to have my parents and brother here to comfort while in this time of need. This injury is nothing but another mountain to climb.

Hope the kid makes a full recovery. Thoughts and prayers to him, his team, and his family.

Best of luck and hopes for a quick recovery to him. Count me as one of the viewers who is glad they didn’t show a close-up/replay of the injury. I didn’t need to see that.

Best of luck and hopes for a quick recovery to him. Count me as one of the viewers who is glad they didn’t show a close-up/replay of the injury. I didn’t need to see that.
I had two of those in my coaching experience. One opponent and one of my players. Fortunately, both occurred during games and therefore ambulance and emergency services were on site. It is devastating for all to witness. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been, had this happened "back in the day" when I coached and we didn't have trainers.

He has plenty of time now to reflect upon his behavior on his previous punt...
I wonder what that was all about? With cameras everywhere.......its difficult to imagine one would think they could get away with "giving him the business..."

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...uffalo-punter-evan-finegan-undergoes-surgery/

Penn State’s 45-13 win over Buffalo flew under the radar for most on Saturday night given the amount of far more interesting games (though this one was close at halftime) on in the sport. For the most part, everything was as you’d expect in a routine win for a Big Ten program over a MAC one but there was a play that caused both Nittany Lions and Bulls fans to wince in unison after punter Evan Finegan suffered a horrific leg injury after a defender tried to block a punt in the third quarter.

Here’s video of the injury for those interested, which despite being a little blurry is still somewhat graphic:

Buffalo’s punter carted off after suffering a gruesome injury pic.twitter.com/lSGQH2TSXN

— Dustin Schutte (@SchutteCFB) September 8, 2019

Finegan had to be carted off as Beaver Stadium fell silent for nearly 10 minutes before applauding the sophomore as he left the field.

Luckily it looks like Finegan is handling the injury well and tweeted on Sunday morning that he was set to enter surgery to repair both his fibula and tibia:

I ask you to keep me in your prayers as I receive surgery on my broken fibula and tibia today. The medical staff from Penn State and UB have done an incredible job taking care of me. I am fortunate to be in such great hands.

— Evan Finegan (@efinegan40) September 8, 2019

The sophomore naturally appears done for the rest of the 2019 season, which is a shame after he was just named to the Ray Guy Award watch list and was hoping to build on first year as a starter in which he averaged 41.8 yards per punt.

Reactions: Bob78
He meant to say tugged. Long after Hamler was down, the punter was still standing over hm pulling on his leg.

Tugged” ???!? um , no.... Hammler was still on the ground while Finegan brought Hammler’s foot/leg up to chest-level as if he were lifting up a piece of plywood...

While i do not believe a bounty was placed on Finegan, there was little doubt in my mind the decision to throw the kitchen sink at him was based on his bush-move personal foul...

Word is that Franklin tried to get Finegan to keep playing after the injury.

:eek:

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but this week's Football Letter has a lovely picture of his leg folding in half as he's mid-punt. Apparently the editors didn't review those closely enough before sending it out.

Tugged” ???!? um , no.... Hammler was still on the ground while Finegan brought Hammler’s foot/leg up to chest-level as if he were lifting up a piece of plywood...

While i do not believe a bounty was placed on Finegan, there was little doubt in my mind the decision to throw the kitchen sink at him was based on his bush-move personal foul...

I was just interpreting what someone else tried to say.

Reactions: massimoManca II
Bones have some flexibility, but not this much. Ouch

ap_19251132078661-e1568060211824.jpg

Good news...

Discharged from the hospital today!Excited to get back to Buffalo and see my guys! I am fortunate to be in such great hands not only at UB but also here at PSU. Thank you to the thousands of people that sent messages over the last few days. God is good!

Bones have some flexibility, but not this much. Ouch

ap_19251132078661-e1568060211824.jpg

Yikes. That's the first image I've seen of the injury. Was the right foot planted and then come off the ground just before the photo was taken? Or was it in the air when the hit happened? If it was the latter it must have been a fluke impact to break two bones when the foot wasn't anchored. Regardless, yikes!!

That pic has to be just post impact, gruesome. Hard to see. The human body has mechanics that are remarkable as the punter was able to call for help without visibly showing the distress expected given the severity of the injury. He must have been experiencing some state of shock at the time allowing a suspended sense of the intense pain expected. Wonder how long until he is able to put weight on the leg post surgery?

Yikes. That's the first image I've seen of the injury. Was the right foot planted and then come off the ground just before the photo was taken? Or was it in the air when the hit happened? If it was the latter it must have been a fluke impact to break two bones when the foot wasn't anchored. Regardless, yikes!!

I have no idea. I saw the pic on a web site late last nite.

It could be a picture that was captured at the perfect (or in this case, worst) moment. Or, it could be something that was created. I thought Journey Brown rushed from the right side of the punter (the left side of PSU's line), so unless they got tangled up, it would seem that Journey would be facing the other way. I really don't know

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT