ADVERTISEMENT

Silas Redd suspended indefinetly

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I find it difficult to blame any of the kids that chose to transfer. The NCAA was determined to destroy the football program, and so was our OWN FREAKIN LEADERSHIP. The kids who stayed will always be Penn State heroes, but can you blame the kids that left for not wanting to play for the likes of Erickson, Joyner and the like? I just can't.
If you were an Engineering student and some grading scandal made loss of accreditation a real possibility for the College of Engineering, would you transfer?
As a student, you can keep trying until you make it. As an athlete you get 4 years, no do overs or mulligans.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I find it difficult to blame any of the kids that chose to transfer. The NCAA was determined to destroy the football program, and so was our OWN FREAKIN LEADERSHIP. The kids who stayed will always be Penn State heroes, but can you blame the kids that left for not wanting to play for the likes of Erickson, Joyner and the like? I just can't.
If you were an Engineering student and some grading scandal made loss of accreditation a real possibility for the College of Engineering, would you transfer?
As a student, you can keep trying until you make it. As an athlete you get 4 years, no do overs or mulligans.
I agree. He acted with no malice toward Penn State but only in an effort to do what was best for himself and his family. It may not have worked out as well as he thought, but in todays world of college athletics, where coaches come and go for better opportunities, I fault no player for doing the same.

I'm not sure that is a good analogy. An Engineering student can suceed on his own but members of a football team depend on each other for collective success. The players who stayed stuck with each other in addition to sticking with the program through the adversity. I don't think that any of them were judged to be lesser players for staying so the leaving for greener pastures reasoning doesn't fly. The only way that leaving the program makes sense if if he would have left anyway if the sanctions never happened.

Reactions: step.eng69

Young men in college are kids one day and men the next day and of course it varies from person to person. But that's basically what happens when a young man is 18-22 years of age. Who knows what goes thru their heads but the decisions they make at that age can tell you a lot about their priorities. Some run away from trouble. Some run towards it.

Who do you want on your football team?

I have no problem with anyone leaving school, ever, regardless of circumstances, but those who stayed in this particular case are the ones I admire. So, who do you want on your team? Mauti or Silas?

Reactions: step.eng69
Young kid moved to what he thought was a better situation for his future. It looked pretty bleak at the time. I have no problem whatsoever with it, and to wish him constant failure is ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT