ADVERTISEMENT

Silas Redd

I’m only interested in Penn State players, not USC players. He made a decision that worked for him and walked away. I don’t blame him but don’t consider him relevant to where we are today. He is a non-factor.

Silas was one of my favorite players while he was here. I was obviously disappointed when he left, but everyone should be free to make their own decisions based on what they think is best for themselves and their family. Penn State clearly survived without him.

Glad to see things worked out well for him in the end.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
I can’t blame him after reading this. He was offended they blamed Joe, and BOT was spineless.

Still no excuse to quit on the team. He could have stood up to be counted with the team and prioritized his teammates and the program. He didn’t.

He said the one thing that ALWAYS bothered me about that time. Most of there kids were in grade school when the events transpired. Why in hells name were these innocents punished for the sins of a coach who wasn't even coaching anymore? What happened was like rounding up John Wilkes Booth's ancestors and hanging them for the Lincoln assassination. Someone needs to explain to me the logic of punishing kids for the sins of adults from decades before.
Well, there never was any logic to it and that's one of the most infuriating things about the whole case.

Reactions: Bob78
fledd could have maintained his respect for Joe and disdain for fester and stayed at Penn State, like the majority of the players, including the team's leaders, did.

A
Redd sure faked a lot of emotion during that podcast if he was lying about that.

Why all this explanation now rather than a long time ago? Only thing I heard at the time was it was a business decision. I don’t harbor any ill will towards Redd for leaving, but I also don’t care to hear about his very belated rationalization for going. Semper Fi Silas right?

Gotta say after hearing the interview I don’t blame him for leaving.
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...Q3weyYYiUYbt8ma8ssPXyK4vISQAS-AhRLOJX8N0BXfzk

On one hand, I haven't donated a dime to the university since 2011 for the same reasons Redd says he left. I'm not willing to throw good money at an institution not willing to stand up for itself.
On the other hand, there's this article about those who chose to circle the wagons and play for their brothers - Those that chose to be something bigger than themselves - Those that chose to be legends in PSU football lore instead of running away. To each their own.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...77353a-6c93-11e7-9c15-177740635e83_story.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78

The interview was interesting. He never comes right out and says it, but I feel like he realizes in hindsight he made a mistake. He acknowledged that he never played at a higher level than he did with PSU in 2011. If he stayed he would have been a legend. He could have had a very productive season as the featured back and I doubt that we lose those two games to Ohio and UVA. He also talked about Lane Kiffin. While trying to not throw him under the bus he pretty much admitted that Kiffin was not up to the task of coaching a major program.

On the flip side he did meet his future wife in Cali and seems to enjoy living there. I do not think his time at USC helped him in terms of football.

He said the one thing that ALWAYS bothered me about that time. Most of there kids were in grade school when the events transpired. Why in hells name were these innocents punished for the sins of a coach who wasn't even coaching anymore? What happened was like rounding up John Wilkes Booth's ancestors and hanging them for the Lincoln assassination. Someone needs to explain to me the logic of punishing kids for the sins of adults from decades before.

The NCAA and I guess the BoT did not consider this as the players being punished because they expected wholesale player transferring under the "not a death penalty" death penalty that was received. F%*k the ones that Fledd. I am more moved by the character and fortitude of the ones that stayed. Those are the stories I care about. Those are the kids that kept the grand experiment alive.

Man, I will respect other poster's opinions with the "silas Fledd" and "F*ck Silas Redd" stuff, but I think Silas comes across and smart, introspective, and genuine. Hard to hate a guy like that from my perspective. He was young, disenfranchised with administration, and he got mesmerized by the LA bright lights and glitz. I can't say a lot of kids his age wouldn't make the same decision 100 out of 100 times. That is what makes the guys that stayed more legendary, they went against the grain and chose the harder path. That is not to say that Redd or Brown are direct pieces of sh*t for not. Something that bothers me about this board and I guess society in large, is that we always have to make topics so polarized. You either love Franklin and defend him endlessly or you are a turncoat POS who needs to find a new team to root for. You either stayed with Penn State in their time of difficulty, or you are a coward and a terrible teammate. I for one almost got teary listening to Redd answer the question about if he regrets leaving. It is clear as day he does, as he answers sheepishly through obvious tears, but he realizes he met his wife out there, he has a son now, he is trying to start a career and move on from football, but those wounds still seem fresh. God, so help me if I have to carry the burden of all the mistakes I made when I was 19 or 20 and can't look forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT