ADVERTISEMENT

So if the O is as good as advertized (so to speak), how long can...

Assuming Moorhead's offense is a notable success, I'd say Moorhead is gone to a P5 HC job after three seasons.

I think it will be mid-season before the staff and players are comfortable enough in Moorhead's new scheme for us to judge it's efficacy.

Assuming Moorhead's offense is a notable success, I'd say Moorhead is gone to a P5 HC job after three seasons.

I think it will be mid-season before the staff and players are comfortable enough in Moorhead's new scheme for us to judge it's efficacy.

Well, if nothing else, our opponents' Ds aren't going to have 30 seconds to look over our frozen-in-place formation and plan which blitz they want to use.

I've ALWAYS said the O has the advantage, they KNOW what play they're going to run (pardon the pun here). Whether you go to the LOS with 20 seconds left or 5 seconds left on the play clock.....go to the LOS and GO. Don't give the D time to react and adjust. Keep the D on their heels and off balance. Play the game your way, not their way. Be the aggressor, don't let the D be the aggressor.

I'm very excited for the potential of this offense. The way it is constructed, going fast isn't the only way to keep the defense off balance. You can run multiple plays out of the same formation or you can run the same play off multiple formations. So what does that do to the defense? Well it confuses the hell out of them. Imagine we line up and the defense shifts. We can run a different play out of our same formation that takes advantage of that shift or we can shift ourselves and run the original play or some other play. Wow! This could be fun with a decent line and all the skill position players we have.

Reactions: BBrown
CJF keep Joe Moorhead here? The "z" was a typo bye the way so don't roast me to bad!

First of all, we need to get to average before we even worry about being a good offense. As someone stated earlier...it would be an incredible run in order for someone to take a stab at him after one season. You must be expecting 10+ wins or something, but I don't see that as the defense still has it's own very big shoes to fill. New DL minus GS to go along with a new DC. I just hoping that they climb up to 8-9 wins somehow and get ready for a good run in 17.

Reactions: Mixolydian
You mean "by" the way and "too" bad.....?
200_s.gif

CJF keep Joe Moorhead here? The "z" was a typo bye the way so don't roast me to bad!

Why do so many here want to focus on the negative? They will zoom past any positive development ("The new offense is great!" theoretically) to that looming downside. What kind of way is that to live your life?

Reactions: royboy
IMHO, Moorhead wants to be a head coach. He didn't take the OC position with plans to stay OC here the rest of his career. I'll be ecstatic with 3 years of amazing offenses, player development and recruiting success before he takes a HC position. And that's probably what both him and CJF are expecting. Days of long term assistants passing up jobs to stay in Happy Valley are over.

Hearing that they are "experimenting" with the OL does NOT give me a good feeling. We will have wait and see. B&W game shows zero. Kent State will show us some, but Pitt may dictate the season.

Well, if nothing else, our opponents' Ds aren't going to have 30 seconds to look over our frozen-in-place formation and plan which blitz they want to use.

I've ALWAYS said the O has the advantage, they KNOW what play they're going to run (pardon the pun here). Whether you go to the LOS with 20 seconds left or 5 seconds left on the play clock.....go to the LOS and GO. Don't give the D time to react and adjust. Keep the D on their heels and off balance. Play the game your way, not their way. Be the aggressor, don't let the D be the aggressor.

So very true. How many times did our OL jump while waiting for the ball to be snapped? We blamed them, of course. Maybe the scheme was partially the cause.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

I love the word "efficacy".:)

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Hearing that they are "experimenting" with the OL does NOT give me a good feeling. We will have wait and see. B&W game shows zero. Kent State will show us some, but Pitt may dictate the season.
No worries. That's what spring is for.

No worries. That's what spring is for.

Hope you are right. So much hinges on some improvement.

I guess I will have to wait for the Big 10 review of our team. Hard to admit but DiNardo was spot on about our OL last year. He was the only "media" type that sounded an alarm. He said he saw no improvement. I put it down to his usual "bullshit".

Hope you are right. So much hinges on some improvement.

I guess I will have to wait for the Big 10 review of our team. Hard to admit but DiNardo was spot on about our OL last year. He was the only "media" type that sounded an alarm. He said he saw no improvement. I put it down to his usual "bullshit".
You know what they say about a broken clock...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT