ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on Rashan Gary

psufan9808

Oct 27, 2014
1) Fully aware that Michigan hired his HS coach but I'm not sure that is as big of an advantage as you'd initially suspect. Yes, that coach has the longest relationship with Gary of anyone recruiting him. But Michigan just stole his HS coach. Michigan also just hired a big HS coach out of Cleveland area.

It appears that the strategy for their new staff is to get in on some hotbeds of recruiting but their staff is going to be pretty green in terms of college experience. So I suppose Michigan may have good success bringing in top talent from those areas but probably won't develop them well.

I say that because as a HS recruit, do you want to just be developed by a bunch of good HS coaches or do you want coaches who have proven themselves to produce top talent that will get to the next level. The head coach doesn't do that, it is the position coaches that teach and refine technique.

So I suppose Rashan could be swayed to chose to go with his old HS coach who no fault to him chose a better opportunity than Rashan's HS. But Rashan may have aspirations well beyond being the top HS recruit. He may want to ensure that he is the top guy coming out of college as well. That means taking it to the next level and I don't think a staff of a bunch of recent HS coaches would help much in that.

2) Rashan Gary probably comes into just about any college program and gets immediate playing time. However, I think Penn State right now can illuminate a very unique opportunity. We have two outstanding DTs this year that will be high draft picks (assuming they both declare which is quite likely). So on one hand, you have a program producing the best DT draft in the nation. On the other hand, you have a program with a huge vacuum at not one but two DT positions. Rashan would not just get immediate playing time, he would be the immediate focus of a traditionally top rated defensive line on a great defense.

3) Some programs will throw some money at Rashan during recruiting. Some top recruits get caught up in this and eventually a small number of them get caught up in controversy over it. For Rashan, this will be chump change. The kid is going to make serious money if he is mature enough to wait for it. The chump change in fact could in the long run end up costing a player money if it puts them in a negative light in the media. I hope for Rashan and all of these top recruits that they have good people, adults surrounding them that help them continue to make good choices as opposed to someone looking to get their cut of chump change when they can.

1) Franklin did the exact same thing and it seems to be working out fine.
2) Your argument is valid, but Rashan Gary will go where Rashan Gary wants to go.

IFFFFFF there were an NFL "minor league" ala. Baseball, Gary would be there. He will go to his next best option a "University" that is a minor league - OSU, Alabama, FSU etc.

"I could be wrong but I don't think so".

I think Alabama is the real competition

The way Saban produces first round picks it's not hard to see why.

Big Time need for PSU. If Franklin wants to go head to head with Urban Meyer, he needs to land a couple players like Rashan Gary.

Still can't believe we lost Christian Wilkins!

Originally posted by psufan9808:

1) Fully aware that Michigan hired his HS coach but I'm not sure that is as big of an advantage as you'd initially suspect. Yes, that coach has the longest relationship with Gary of anyone recruiting him. But Michigan just stole his HS coach. Michigan also just hired a big HS coach out of Cleveland area.

It appears that the strategy for their new staff is to get in on some hotbeds of recruiting but their staff is going to be pretty green in terms of college experience. So I suppose Michigan may have good success bringing in top talent from those areas but probably won't develop them well.

I say that because as a HS recruit, do you want to just be developed by a bunch of good HS coaches or do you want coaches who have proven themselves to produce top talent that will get to the next level. The head coach doesn't do that, it is the position coaches that teach and refine technique.

So I suppose Rashan could be swayed to chose to go with his old HS coach who no fault to him chose a better opportunity than Rashan's HS. But Rashan may have aspirations well beyond being the top HS recruit. He may want to ensure that he is the top guy coming out of college as well. That means taking it to the next level and I don't think a staff of a bunch of recent HS coaches would help much in that.

2) Rashan Gary probably comes into just about any college program and gets immediate playing time. However, I think Penn State right now can illuminate a very unique opportunity. We have two outstanding DTs this year that will be high draft picks (assuming they both declare which is quite likely). So on one hand, you have a program producing the best DT draft in the nation. On the other hand, you have a program with a huge vacuum at not one but two DT positions. Rashan would not just get immediate playing time, he would be the immediate focus of a traditionally top rated defensive line on a great defense.

3) Some programs will throw some money at Rashan during recruiting. Some top recruits get caught up in this and eventually a small number of them get caught up in controversy over it. For Rashan, this will be chump change. The kid is going to make serious money if he is mature enough to wait for it. The chump change in fact could in the long run end up costing a player money if it puts them in a negative light in the media. I hope for Rashan and all of these top recruits that they have good people, adults surrounding them that help them continue to make good choices as opposed to someone looking to get their cut of chump change when they can.

I am pretty sure he is going to make a statement and stay in his home state at his state school and persuade a few others to follow him.

Wait...No. There is a reason why it's a surprise when one of the top kids don't leave the state even for Maryland. If PSU, OSU, Bama, Michigan offer they are screwed.

It will come down to Michigan, OSU and PSU. I don't think the Michigan hire was even really in direct relation in trying to land Gary.

It will be PSU or OSU.

I agree with your OP regarding the statement that Gary should be aware that a HS coach may not be the best coach in college to get him to the pros.

That said, I am sure Michigan has some accomplished coaches on their staff and Harbaugh definitely has NFL contacts he could use to help Gary along.

However, I would also suspect that Gary has had people fawning over him for so long that he considers himself the second coming of Mean Joe Greene and he is looking for his NOW.

I think it will come down to the recruits at the schools he visits telling him how little he is going to need to do in class, what type of housing is he getting, what car he is getting, what type of $500 handshakes he is getting and how much pussy is easily available.

My bet would be SEC or Ohio State.

Those high school coaches that were hired by Michigan

have adminstrative jobs. They won't be coaching.

One's a recruiting director. I'm not sure about the other. Maybe director of football operations.

Originally posted by Nit777:
I agree with your OP regarding the statement that Gary should be aware that a HS coach may not be the best coach in college to get him to the pros.

That said, I am sure Michigan has some accomplished coaches on their staff and Harbaugh definitely has NFL contacts he could use to help Gary along.

However, I would also suspect that Gary has had people fawning over him for so long that he considers himself the second coming of Mean Joe Greene and he is looking for his NOW.

I think it will come down to the recruits at the schools he visits telling him how little he is going to need to do in class, what type of housing is he getting, what car he is getting, what type of $500 handshakes he is getting and how much pussy is easily available.

My bet would be SEC or Ohio State.
Agree its going to be hard to keep some of these schools away. Especially schools that may have a higher minority local population, where the ho's will be thick.

Originally posted by PSUriseANDfire:

I am pretty sure he is going to make a statement and stay in his home state at his state school and persuade a few others to follow him.

Wait...No. There is a reason why it's a surprise when one of the top kids don't leave the state even for Maryland. If PSU, OSU, Bama, Michigan offer they are screwed.

It will come down to Michigan, OSU and PSU. I don't think the Michigan hire was even really in direct relation in trying to land Gary.

It will be PSU or OSU.
If he stays up north it's psu/rutgers if not usc,clemson or sec......and i told a couple of you fellas late last year Wilkins wasn't coming here.

Originally posted by miket007:

It will be PSU or OSU.
If he stays up north it's psu/rutgers if not usc,clemson or sec......and i told a couple of you fellas late last year Wilkins wasn't coming here.
I do remember that. I didn't expect it like a lot of people did but I felt confident we would land Wilkins. You called that early.

I think aside from the few nutjobs on your board that think constantly saying Ped State or cult or rape enablers is funny I mostly like your board because it usually a smart entertaining conversation. At least you guys have fans. There is another team from up north that doesn't.

Originally posted by miket007:

It will be PSU or OSU.
I do remember that. I didn't expect it like a lot of people did but I felt confident we would land Wilkins. You called that early.

I think aside from the few nutjobs on your board that think constantly saying Ped State or cult or rape enablers is funny I mostly like your board because it usually a smart entertaining conversation. At least you guys have fans. There is another team from up north that doesn't.
Agreed! I've always enjoyed reading threads on BWI especially since we go after around 75% of the same players, Franklin isn't playing around on the recruiting trail & that was a very nice pick up last night, i've been noticing he's dipping alot more into the southeast for defensive secondary players

None of the high school coaches are position coaches at UM. They are all involved in recruiting. JH's coaching staff is very experienced in college and the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT