ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Interview post Silver

But it is the rule. So why reward for an effort that doesn’t have a point associated. It was a good match and maybe a little more luck and he wins. It’s simple.

It’s his career consistent response that warrants criticism, and now he’s done it representing our country. Let see how Kyle Dake responds after losing twice….this time on a quest to win gold for his dad.
Oh, I absolutely agree with the calls made, just find it extremely hard to watch that specific rule decide a gold.
Also agree Spencer needs to pay close attention to how top-level competitors like AB, Helen, and Dake handle defeat. He clearly takes it far too hard. Just watching AB’s bronze interview would be a good first step. I mean, with such joy-of-life banter and that wide smile, you’d think AB had won gold. I hope Spencer can someday find that balance Aaron talks about.
Now, come on Kyle and Kennedy!! Two semi-final wins and I’ll be cutting grass with a smile!!

Oh, I absolutely agree with the calls made, just find it extremely hard to watch that specific rule decide a gold.
Also agree Spencer needs to pay close attention to how top-level competitors like AB, Helen, and Dake handle defeat. He clearly takes it far too hard. Just watching AB’s bronze interview would be a good first step. I mean, with such joy-of-life banter and that wide smile, you’d think AB had won gold. I hope Spencer can someday find that balance Aaron talks about.
Now, come on Kyle and Kennedy!! Two semi-final wins and I’ll be cutting grass with a smile!!
This is the classic you can take the kid out of Iowa but you can’t take the Iowa out of the kid.

Who isn’t giving Spencer his due? Everyone agrees he is an awesome, amazing wrestler. Being an Olympic Silver Medalist is also awesome and amazing. It’s just too bad that Spencer doesn’t think so.

By publicly shitting on his own Silver medal, he is de facto disrespecting all other non-Gold Olympians as well. That’s what’s pathetic.
Yup. It shows a shocking lack of perspective, but it's not surprising.

Reactions: WIP2001
Spencer will be fine.

Think about what he went through to get there. Everybody hates coach/athlete speak until somebody actually tells the truth.

This was a few minutes after his dream was crushed. I didn’t see AB point to the heavens after he lost. DT didn’t handle his loss to Cox well. Cael threw a chair during the match. Mark Hall threw his headgear after he lost to Zahid. There are probably countless examples we haven’t seen. It’s easy to preach “gratitude” fresh off the mat after a win. The loser rarely gets interviewed. These are human beings.

You guys said the same type of things after NCAAs too.

Spencer will be fine.

Think about what he went through to get there. Everybody hates coach/athlete speak until somebody actually tells the truth.

This was a few minutes after his dream was crushed. I didn’t see AB point to the heavens after he lost. DT didn’t handle his loss to Cox well. Cael threw a chair during the match. Mark Hall threw his headgear after he lost to Zahid. There are probably countless examples we haven’t seen. It’s easy to preach “gratitude” fresh off the mat after a win. The loser rarely gets interviewed. These are human beings.

Agree to disagree

Reactions: danoftw
Spencer will be fine.

I believe every one of the examples you listed were one off things, that maybe the person learned from. There is a bit of a pattern of this type of behavior from Spencer. So I will agree to disagree also. He is not my cup of tea, which is fine. He can stay at Iowa and enjoy the adulation.

Spencer will be fine.

Agree with you that immediate disappointment and sorrow on the mat (or shortly after) is not wrong or unusual, but keep in mind, this interview was not “a few minutes” after his loss. It had to have been at least a good hour or more after his match…plenty of time to gather himself, appreciate his amazing accomplishment, and express at least a little gratitude for his coaches, family, teammates…and himself.

Instead we got this wallowing self pity diatribe which was a tremendous insult to every non-Gold medalist in these Olympics.

Agree with you that immediate disappointment and sorrow on the mat (or shortly after) is not wrong or unusual, but keep in mind, this interview was not “a few minutes” after his loss. It was most likely a good hour or more after his match…plenty of time to gather himself, appreciate his amazing accomplishment, and express at least a little gratitude for his coaches, family, teammates…and himself.

Instead we got this wallowing self pity diatribe which was a tremendous insult to every non-Gold medalist in these Olympics.
come on, even you don’t believe that.

it’s honestly insane that no matter how much success PSU has, you guys will never get over not landing Spencer Lee.

I don’t think any non-Gold medalist or Olympian is going to care all that much because Spencer said something. If Spencer wants to feel that way, that’s his right and mindset, I feel sorry he does though.
100%.

it’s honestly insane that no matter how much success PSU has, you guys will never get over not landing Spencer Lee.
I don't think it's that. It's that Spence sticks out like a sore loser with zero gratitude time and time again, and it's funny because TnT are the exact same way.
And for that reason I'd love to see Spence take over coaching at Iowa.

Is that supposed to be a gotcha moment? It’s an Iowa board talking about the only Iowa wrestler wrestling at the moment?
Show me the six active threads on this forum about AB. And then the six active threads on this forum about Zain. Etc.

Yes - when an Iowa fan tells us to stop obsessing over Spencer it was.

Oh, good lord. He behaves like a brat again and we're obsessing. Not getting him was actually probably a positive.
You would think with as many health issues Spencer has had, he would be thankful to still be able to compete at an extremely high level.

I know the running joke is TnT make guys hate wrestling. I actually think it might be true in this case.

Show me the six active threads on this forum about AB. And then the six active threads on this forum about Zain. Etc.

Yes - when an Iowa fan tells us to stop obsessing over Spencer it was.
Saying those 6 threads are active when only 2 have more than 5 chats is a stretch.

Reactions: js8793
Saying those 6 threads are active when only 2 have more than 5 chats is a stretch.
You might not know this, but threads are listed in order of their most recent post. 6 of the top 8 are Spencer. That means only two other threads have had a post as recent as one in the 6 Spencer threads.

I’m not sure how you define “active”, though.

You might not know this, but threads are listed in order of their most recent post. 6 of the top 8 are Spencer. That means only two other threads have had a post as recent as one in the 6 Spencer threads.

I’m not sure how you define “active”, though.
I’d describe active as more than a couple people posting.

There is one active thread about the tournament - and not just Spencer. There is one now on the interview. That’s it.

You have 1 thread from one fan saying congrats that nobody is responding to. Then 2 from Todd Connor trying to drive traffic to his blog. Everything else is from earlier in the week.

We don’t have a thread dedicated to discussing the losses of NLWC guys.

This was a lame and stupid gotcha attempt.

Reactions: sstark46
Spencer is sort of Suriano on steroids, in the sense that he needs to be the center of attention, which, imo, is part of the reason he went to Iowa - to be the dominant face of the program and lead them back to the top (funny how that turned out). He wouldn't have been happy to be "just another" 3 or 4 time champ at PSU. Then when he loses, it's "don't pay any attention to me". It's gotten really, really old.

We're just lucky he didn't lose in the semi's, because then who knows if he would have tried for bronze, which would have been an embarrassment.

Totally wrong, I am 100% fine that he did not come to PSU and with how things worked out.

And it is not obsessing when we are commenting on an interview with an Olympic Silver medalist. It showed up in my google feed.

I think maybe you are obsessing when you bring up Cael’s one and only chair throw.

I think maybe you are obsessing when you bring up Cael’s one and only chair throw.
I've gone back and watched the video. Cael's chair throw was far superior to Bobby Knight's. The fluidity, the strength, the athleticism. It was a thing of beauty. When you only show so much emotion once in a decade what else can you ask of him?

then stop obsessing over every little thing he does
"First thing I thought of was to take it off, but that's OK, right?" Lee said. "You can get a laugh out of that, right? I don't even have it anymore. I gave it to my sister. I don't even know where it is."

Nah…we just wanted him to maximize his potential. It’s glaringly obvious that Spencer Lee needed PSU much more than PSU needed Spencer Lee. He said himself what a painful grind wrestling has been and continues to be. Maybe learning to compete with perspective and gratitude would have mentally freed him up and allowed him to wrestle with freedom and joy.

I hope he can find joy and happiness in wrestling…dare I say, have some fun! And then, maybe someday, he can appreciate the wonderful accomplishment of being the second best guy on the fricking planet in 2024!

reflects his coach, no?

We all process things differently. Failing to meet failure appropriately, judged by fans from another team's message board is no reflection on Spencer.
Spencer has been a multiple time state, national and age-specific world champion. He is a college graduate and now not just an Olympian, but a silver medalist. So far in life he has achieved a ton of success. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe that as he moves through his life he isn't going to continue to find success. Best of luck to him as he does.

We all process things differently. Failing to meet failure appropriately, judged by fans from another team's message board is no reflection on Spencer.
Spencer has been a multiple time state, national and age-specific world champion. He is a college graduate and now not just an Olympian, but a silver medalist. So far in life he has achieved a ton of success. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe that as he moves through his life he isn't going to continue to find success. Best of luck to him as he does.
But will he be happy? So far he doesn’t seem filled with joy, but of course that is just my interpretation. He may be totally content with life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT