ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Interview post Silver

I was never even close to the level required to score an Olympic medal so I can’t really say I know how much disappointment Lee or any of the other guys or girls felt when they didn’t reach their goal.

However, I had another experience that a lot of people posting here can probably relate to that, to me, was every bit as disappointing when it happened. Long story, (they always are 🤔 ) but I didn’t get the girl that I was certain was the one meant for me. It was a really heartbreaking experience that left me in the dumps for some time. But it wasn’t the end, and I eventually just picked up and moved on. And guess what, everything turned out fine.

I hope Lee can shake off his current feelings and just move on like I did. Maybe he wants to stay involved with wrestling or maybe he’ll decide it’s time to start down a new path. I don’t define myself today by a disappointing experience from 40 years ago, and I hope Lee doesn’t define himself only by the big ones that he lost. Sure, he’s always going to remember what happened, but life has so many surprises and blessings that at some point he’ll be able to shrug and just say something like, “So what?”
I had similar experience with a girl I thought for sure was "the one". But I had it three separate times.

• Haha
Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
I've always been a fan of Spencer. He is an amazing athlete. I've met him several times and he's always been polite and gracious.

His interview made me sad for him as I can't imagine not being able to separate my grief at not achieving my goal from the opportunity and achievement that I just had. It left me disappointed for the message thst it sends to the tens of thousands who look up to him.

At the same time, I don't dislike or judge him for it. I've put a hole through a wall for much less than losing in the Olympic finals, I've gone on to have a pretty happy existence and even my wife has forgiven me.

Sometimes your heroes let you down. That just means thst they are human. He'll be ok.

I sure hope you don't mean you had the same experience 3 times with the same person! You know the old saying about the definition of insanity!

PS - interesting finale to my story. When I first moved to San Diego, from time to time my friends and I would drop in to a popular bar where the waitresses were so hot that everyone was too intimidated to try to approach any of them. Fast forward to today, one of them is my wife. We've been together about 20 years now.
Congrats... but way to add insult to my injury!

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
I've always been a fan of Spencer. He is an amazing athlete. I've met him several times and he's always been polite and gracious.

His interview made me sad for him as I can't imagine not being able to separate my grief at not achieving my goal from the opportunity and achievement that I just had. It left me disappointed for the message thst it sends to the tens of thousands who look up to him.

At the same time, I don't dislike or judge him for it. I've put a hole through a wall for much less than losing in the Olympic finals, I've gone on to have a pretty happy existence and even my wife has forgiven me.

Sometimes your heroes let you down. That just means thst they are human. He'll be ok.
Suppose you grew up with a dad who stood over you and any time you lost he said something like, "Losing is for LOSERS! You're worthless and weak. Drop down and give me 20!" You sure wouldn't have a very positive attitude about taking on a challenge.

Now I'm not implying that Spencer's dad was like that, but I think he had two guys with a lot of more recent influence on him who did think that way. You know who I'm talking about.

BTW - sorry, I didn't mean to put you down in my other post. I made a bad assumption there.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
Again he said that about himself, you’re still the only one inferring anything. He has the right to say anything he’d like to say. He’s earned it by competing at that level.

Btw do you not think Brooks is disappointed or Zain or Dake. Come on man.

But whatever, believe what you’d like.
Thanks...I will.

• I believe Spencer Lee is one of the strongest and most physically dominant wrestlers on this planet.
  • I believe Spencer Lee had to overcome significant physical challenges and setbacks to become this amazing wrestler.
  • I believe Spencer Lee has mental challenges to overcome (don't we all).
  • I believe Spencer Lee being told by his coaches that he is the best wrestler in the history of wrestling put significant and unnecessary pressure on him.
  • I believe Spencer Lee has become too focused on his place in history rather than enjoying the process of skill development and incremental improvement.
  • I believe Spencer Lee is still young enough to get a shift in mindset and gain appreciation and perspective, but the people closest to him need to help and not sabotage him.
This is what I believe. (But I could be completely FOS)

Thanks...I will.

• I believe Spencer Lee is one of the strongest and most physically dominant wrestlers on this planet.
  • I believe Spencer Lee had to overcome significant physical challenges and setbacks to become this amazing wrestler.
  • I believe Spencer Lee being told by his coaches that he is the best wrestler in the history of wrestling put significant and unnecessary pressure on him.
  • I believe Spencer Lee has become too focused on his place in history rather than enjoying the process of skill development and incremental improvement.
  • I believe Spencer Lee is still young enough to get a shift in mindset and gain appreciation and perspective, but the people closest to him need to help and not sabotage him.
i-dont-believe-you-ron-burgundy.gif

Suppose you grew up with a dad who stood over you and any time you lost he said something like, "Losing is for LOSERS! You're worthless and weak. Drop down and give me 20!" You sure wouldn't have a very positive attitude about taking on a challenge.

Now I'm not implying that Spencer's dad was like that, but I think he had two guys with a lot of more recent influence on him who did think that way. You know who I'm talking about.

BTW - sorry, I didn't mean to put you down in my other post. I made a bad assumption there.
This is part of why I don't judge Spencer. We can be disappointed in someone's action or response while understanding thst we're all entitled to a little grace in our lesser mements. I made enough mistakes with my kid in this sport thst I thank God regularly thst he still loves the sport (and me, I hope).

No worries about the other post. I was joking about the insult part - I was lucky enough to get the girl as well.

This is part of why I don't judge Spencer. We can be disappointed in someone's action or response while understanding thst we're all entitled to a little grace in our lesser mements. I made enough mistakes with my kid in this sport thst I thank God regularly thst he still loves the sport (and me, I hope).

No worries about the other post. I was joking about the insult part - I was lucky enough to get the girl as well.
I can see making observations and some opinionated comments, but unless you have walked in his shoes, shouldn't judge.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Thanks...I will.

In addition to all of the above, I believe that Lee, along with a lot of other top level recruits, chose to do his college wrestling with a program that overemphasizes the wrong things. What was once the top college program in the country has deteriorated to a point where they are forced to take on mercenaries to try to stay competitive. I also believe that the current state of the program is not going to change unless the leadership either adopts a completely different approach or steps aside.

Reactions: District four
On one hand I love that he is a winner and hates to lose. Most champions are wired that way. But he is wired a bit too tight. If he gave his best effort, which I'm sure he did, he should show a bit more gratitude. Being an Olympian, winning a silver medal, and enjoying the Olympic experience. Learning to give his opponent some credit and praise would be a good start. I almost feel sorry for him that he didn't learn those lessons earlier in life. Those are life lessons most of us learned, that sometimes as hard as you try, you don't always win...and life is still really good. Why do I think this is one young man who no matter what he does in life will always be bitter about something. As much as I love wrestling, there are many more important things in life than this sport.
What he needed was a big dose of Cael for four years but that didn't happen. Wonder if that tugs on his mind from time to time?

This has been discussed. Do you not understand “heat of the moment” vs. an hour or more afterward? Also, arguing a call vs. “No one will remember my Silver and I’m quitting!!!”

Listen…most of us have said and done juvenile things…and it is proper to be called out on it. Spencer is no different.
The difference is Iowa fans live in a perpetual state of denial so calling them out just results in vague comparisons that have lend no benefit to any discussion. Iowa fans lack logic end of story

Carl should call him
Have him come to NLWC and get him great again

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT