ADVERTISEMENT

spent most of the day installing a "Ring" security system

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
that is comprised of a floodlight and a couple of spotlight cams. just wondering if anyone else has done this.

My first impression is pretty good. The cameras hook up to wifi and your wifi hooks up with the cloud where images are stored. If someone breaks in, you can go to the cloud and print the photos of the perp off. Also you can view in real time, get alerts that someone is within the field of motion and many more features that I haven't begun to learn yet.

Does anyone know of other cloud systems you can use with the Ring devices besides Ring?

nexus2cee_FloodlightCam.jpg

ring-smart-security-cameras-8sh1p7-wen0-64_1000.jpg

that is comprised of a floodlight and a couple of spotlight cams. just wondering if anyone else has done this.

My first impression is pretty good. The cameras hook up to wifi and your wifi hooks up with the cloud where images are stored. If someone breaks in, you can go to the cloud and print the photos of the perp off. Also you can view in real time, get alerts that someone is within the field of motion and many more features that I haven't begun to learn yet.

Does anyone know of other cloud systems you can use with the Ring devices besides Ring?

Who are you (most) afraid of:

1) The Communists?
2) The Muslims?
3) The Iranians?
4) The Immigrants?
5) The Millennials?

Reactions: Eurotrash1

I had the Ring Doorbell, Obli. Went through four of them due to reliability issues. I must admit Ring's customer service was outstanding until the 3rd time around. Specifically, after one month I experienced degradation of service on each replacement unit. The video would no longer be real time. I would get a notification someone was at the door 1-2 minutes after they had left! Same with my wife's phone (different carrier, different phone type). I also experienced incredible audio feedback when trying to talk to someone at the door. Finally, I dumped them and re-installed a regular doorbell. I don't have any other problems with my wi-fi (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.) Anyway that doesn't mean you'll experience the same problems with Ring. Good luck.

Reactions: Obliviax

I have 3 of the regular cameras and the front doorbell Ring. I have been very happy with it since I get notices and can view the cameras "Live" anywhere in the world on my cell phone. It gives you peace of mind when you are away or traveling.I can also monitor to see what our Huskies are up to in the yard. I have 2 lithium rechargeable batteries in each camera and they last about 8-10 weeks on full charge. I have had these for 9 months and no problems at all.

Reactions: Obliviax
We’ve had the Arlo pro system for about 7 months now- it was a Christmas present for my wife. Video is stored for free on the cloud for a week or 2 (forget which)- longer with an upgraded plan. She loves the alerts as our living area is situated on the opposite side of the home from our driveway. I love some of the interesting wildlife videos from the rear patio which includs so far a fox, raccoon, deer (further out in the yard), cats and, the best, was a bear (twice). All the action is at night (pretty happy with the night vision). If someone wants to explain to me how to share a pic here, my daughter saved a screenshot of him, I’ll try to show... a local taxidermist told me he’s a big one

Overall, we love the system. Crime isn’t an issue here, we just like to know what’s going on.

Reactions: sluggo72
Just about every security camera company has a cloud option these days.

I installed a Nest Hello doorbell camera a few weeks ago. The last few days I started reviewing the footage. I realized some car drives by my house every morning at 4:20am and honks the horn. Now I need to know why? I'm planning on standing on my curb at 4:20 to find out who it is and why? This camera is going to ruin me.

I installed a Nest Hello doorbell camera a few weeks ago. The last few days I started reviewing the footage. I realized some car drives by my house every morning at 4:20am and honks the horn. Now I need to know why? I'm planning on standing on my curb at 4:20 to find out who it is and why? This camera is going to ruin me.
Paper boy?

Reactions: step.eng69
Paperboy was my first guess but I have not seen any papers thrown out of the car. The car did not drive by on 7/4 but did on 7/5 and 7/6. The car arrives anywhere from 4:09 to 4:33 am. The honk is the most precise part of the whole act. It always happens directly in front of my driveway. As far as figuring out who it is eventually it will happen but getting me out of bed at 4 am won’t happen easily.

Last edited:
The last few days I started reviewing the footage. I realized some car drives by my house every morning at 4:20am and honks the horn. Now I need to know why? I'm planning on standing on my curb at 4:20 to find out who it is and why? This camera is going to ruin me.

lol, only if you let it ruin you. If somebody honks while driving by my house at 4:20 am, that wouldn't bother me, or interest me, in the least. There is 0% chance that I would hear a honk at that hour, as I sleep very soundly. If the action were waking me up, I'd make an effort to find out who it is, but this would be in the category of "what I don't hear doesn't bother me."

Reactions: TXHILL89
It’s probably best that you don’t install more cameras than just the doorbell. I have a hardwired EZVIZ system and the Mexican Fruit Bats trigger the cameras all night long.

You might want to think about turning off the communication part of the system.

Last edited:
lol, only if you let it ruin you. If somebody honks while driving by my house at 4:20 am, that wouldn't bother me, or interest me, in the least. There is 0% chance that I would hear a honk at that hour, as I sleep very soundly. If the action were waking me up, I'd make an effort to find out who it is, but this would be in the category of "what I don't hear doesn't bother me."

I'm sure your thick walls help.

448b5298a5a4ff8a87b103011c505f7f.jpg

Paperboy was my first guess but I have not seen any papers thrown out of the car. The car did not drive by on 7/4 but did on 7/5 and 7/6. The car arrives anywhere from 4:09 to 4:33 am. The honk is the most precise part of the whole act. It always happens directly in front of my driveway. As far as figuring out who it is eventually it will happen but getting me out of bed at 4 am won’t happen easily.
If it is indeed at 4:09 every day, by chance do you have any Penn State signs, flags, etc. outside? ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT