ADVERTISEMENT

Statute removed 3 years ago today

And someone should go to Suhey's farm, I don't care who does it, take you bulldozer drag him by his neck through State College and toss his carcass in front of the prison farm near Pine Creek.

Not a distant memory for me.

When and where will it go back up. Regardless of whether you are a fan of the statute per se, it needs to go back uk because its return is much more important than its design!
Agree. I was never a fan of the statue but its removal represented tangible physical evidence of the attacks then being made on Joe's reputation and his legacy. It must be restored to its original location, or another equally suitable.

When and where will it go back up. Regardless of whether you are a fan of the statute per se, it needs to go back uk because its return is much more important than its design!

http://restorepsu.blogspot.com/2015/07/thank-you-paul-suhey-and-rodney-erickson.html

thank_you_suhey_erickson.jpg

suhey.jpg

In my opinion, the statue will never be put back in place on campus except possibly in the All Sports Museum. By placing the statue back on campus, that would require an admission of error by the bot, that will never happen. It wouldn't surprise me to see it placed off campus some day in the future.

I heard that Paul Suhey is having a barbecue at his house to commemorate this special event. After everybody leaves Joyner is going to clean the place up for him.

If Suhey offered free food, you could probably count the people who show up on one hand: his wife, Rodney Erickson, and maybe Karen Peetz or John Surma. As for everybody else, to paraphrase Sergeant Harper in Sharpe's Mission, "I wouldn't want to be caught dead in the same grave as you."

for the Penn State community's position toward Suhey. (1:53)

In my opinion, the statue will never be put back in place on campus except possibly in the All Sports Museum. By placing the statue back on campus, that would require an admission of error by the bot, that will never happen. It wouldn't surprise me to see it placed off campus some day in the future.

The Board is not ready to admit it made bad choices, just like the Japanese were not ready to surrender at the beginning of August 1945. Well, we know how the latter position worked out for the Japanese.

The Board is not ready to admit it made bad choices, just like the Japanese were not ready to surrender at the beginning of August 1945. Well, we know how the latter position worked out for the Japanese.

Bad choices?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Idiots covering up.

If Suhey offered free food, you could probably count the people who show up on one hand: his wife, Rodney Erickson, and maybe Karen Peetz or John Surma. As for everybody else, to paraphrase Sergeant Harper in Sharpe's Mission, "I wouldn't want to be caught dead in the same grave with you."
I think Joyner would also show up but he'd sneak through the back door so nobody would see him. He was a 9/11 BoT member then resigned to weasel his way into the AD job. No doubt he saw himself as a knight on a white horse riding into town to save the university but he soon learned what people thought of him when he was booed while he stood in the field at Beaver Stadium. He then moved into a shady advisory job to admittedly pad his pension. Joyner obviously made no secret of his thinking the university owed him something. I feel he deserves as much contempt as Peetz, Frazier, Surma, Suhey, Masser, etc.

I think Joyner would also show up but he'd sneak through the back door so nobody would see him. He was a 9/11 BoT member then resigned to weasel his way into the AD job. No doubt he saw himself as a knight on a white horse riding into town to save the university but he soon learned what people thought of him when he was booed while he stood in the field at Beaver Stadium. He then moved into a shady advisory job to admittedly pad his pension. Joyner obviously made no secret of his thinking the university owed him something. I feel he deserves as much contempt as Peetz, Frazier, Surma, Suhey, Masser, etc.

Joyner is a worthless POS (Peetz of Surma).

isn't there a statute of limitation on how long the statue can taken down and stored?

Reactions: therod

Well, we all know where it is...

ceres-bright-spots.jpg

I never did understand, and till this day still don't, why they had to take the players off the wall and the plaques.
I can kind of understand the statue (I don't agree).
BTW where are all the Posters they took down of the former players that were supposedly being "cleaned"?
I'm pretty sure the one of Bobby Engram, as you go up the ramp when entering gate C, is still missing.

The law of appropriate grammar.
I think everyone was just being kind not bringing up the "grammar" thing earlier.

Still may want to fix it there ritaith, it's bothersome, especially when OP2 gets involved.

Actually, in that spirit, we should probably not change it since changing it would take undue grief and effort and everyone would just say we're doing it because we're Joepa cultists. So let's just never mention it again!

Last edited:
I never did understand, and till this day still don't, why they had to take the players off the wall and the plaques.
I can kind of understand the statue (I don't agree).
BTW where are all the Posters they took down of the former players that were supposedly being "cleaned"?
I'm pretty sure the one of Bobby Engram, as you go up the ramp when entering gate C, is still missing.

The trustees threw the entire football program -- not just Paterno -- under the bus. Erickson, Peetz and Frazier wanted to kill Penn State football or at least greatly diminish it.

Reactions: B_Levinson
The trustees threw the entire football program -- not just Paterno -- under the bus. Erickson, Peetz and Frazier wanted to kill Penn State football or at least greatly diminish it.

If they wanted to kill the football program their response to JS's arrest would have been to do absolutely nothing. That would have brought more public wrath than anything else.

If they wanted to kill the football program their response to JS's arrest would have been to do absolutely nothing. That would have brought more public wrath than anything else.

The correct response would indeed have been to do nothing, and defer to the court system (as Spanier said at the time).

There is a line in Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha (The Shadow Warrior) in which Takeda Shingen (and later his double) says "Do not move. A mountain does not move." (The latter is from Sun Tzu's Art of War.) Shingen did not let his enemies bait him into reckless actions. When his impetuous heir, Katsuyori, took over, he moved and got his entire army wiped off the face of the earth by Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu ("Toranaga" from Shogun) at Nagashino.

In this case, the correct course of action would be to dismiss Sandusky's arrest as the result of an ordinary crime on campus or in State College, none of which demands the attention of Penn State's Trustees.

The correct response would indeed have been to do nothing, and defer to the court system (as Spanier said at the time).

There is a line in Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha (The Shadow Warrior) in which Takeda Shingen (and later his double) says "Do not move. A mountain does not move." (The latter is from Sun Tzu's Art of War.) Shingen did not let his enemies bait him into reckless actions. When his impetuous heir, Katsuyori, took over, he moved and got his entire army wiped off the face of the earth by Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu ("Toranaga" from Shogun) at Nagashino.

In this case, the correct course of action would be to dismiss Sandusky's arrest as the result of an ordinary crime on campus or in State College, none of which demands the attention of Penn State's Trustees.

That would have been a pretty untenable position given Joe's testimony under oath that he had been informed by MM of serious sexual assault allegations and other than notifying the AD he did nothing further. You have to consider the potential nuclear firestorm that may have engulfed the University leaving it but a shell of its former self from which it might never have recovered.

You may disagree with the BoT approach but one thing is clear; the University survived and is stronger than ever. That may not have been the result if your approach had been followed; but then we'll never know. We do know that the BoT approach did accomplish the goal of not only the survival of Penn State but also its continued growth.

If in concert with that the BOT put their football program in moratorium until the whole issue was resolved then that would have worked fine. Anything else and the public would not have stood for it.

The actions of the BOT didn't make this a big story. If you recall, this was the biggest story in the country, by far, before the BOT did anything. The entire nation was waiting to see what PSU was going to do. They couldn't just do nothing.

If in concert with that the BOT put their football program in moratorium until the whole issue was resolved then that would have worked fine. Anything else and the public would not have stood for it.

The actions of the BOT didn't make this a big story. If you recall, this was the biggest story in the country, by far, before the BOT did anything. The entire nation was waiting to see what PSU was going to do. They couldn't just do nothing.

th

th
th

Reactions: step.eng69

They simply needed to suspend all parties involved pending the outcome of all trials. The BoT wanted it gone so they pointed the finger at Joe, fired him over the phone, and told every to simply move on. It was a BS coward move at the time and time has shown that to be the case. They showed a real lack of leadership and courage and then allowed the school to be tossed further under the bus with Emmert. What Jerry did was sick and disgusting, but it doesn't justify the witch hunt. Happy Valley was a modern day Salem and the BoT held the torches.

That would have been a pretty untenable position given Joe's testimony under oath that he had been informed by MM of serious sexual assault allegations
1. Paterno never testified to any such thing.

You have to consider the potential nuclear firestorm that may have engulfed the University leaving it but a shell of its former self from which it might never have recovered.
2. The university WAS engulfed by a firestorm, and it was the BoT that lit the fuse.

You may disagree with the BoT approach but one thing is clear; the University survived and is stronger than ever. That may not have been the result if your approach had been followed; but then we'll never know. We do know that the BoT approach did accomplish the goal of not only the survival of Penn State but also its continued growth.

3. There was NEVER any question that the university would survive. It is ridiculous to suggest that one of the largest universities in the entire country was ever at any risk. The only thing that was ever at risk was the football program. The fact is that Erickson et al fully expected it to collapse when he signed the Consent Decree. They were mightily disappointed when Mauti & Zordich showed the country what Penn State football is about. Penn State football survived DESPITE the actions of the BoT. It is delusional to claim otherwise.

That would have been a pretty untenable position given Joe's testimony under oath that he had been informed by MM of serious sexual assault allegations and other than notifying the AD he did nothing further. You have to consider the potential nuclear firestorm that may have engulfed the University leaving it but a shell of its former self from which it might never have recovered.

The University survived and is stronger than ever because the alumni effectively declared war on the BOT, and drove more than half of those responsible for 11/9/2011 off the Board in disgrace. It is because these Trustees' reputations are in ruins (along with that of the NCAA) that the University is regaining its reputation. However, it is clear that we have not yet done enough. The return of the statue would symbolize the unconditional surrender of the 11/9 holdovers, sort of the way Augustus Caesar's successors butchered tens of thousands of Germans to recover the Aquilae (Eagle standards) that were lost in the Teutoburg Forest.

The reason is emphatically not to punish the Trustees in question (and Freeh and the NCAA), but rather because they created a win-lose situation in which their reputations and Paterno's cannot both survive intact. When Karen Peetz said Paterno's service was marred, she created a win-lose situation in which either Paterno's service is marred, or Karen Peetz's character and judgment defects render her grossly unfit to be a Penn State Trustee and quite likely President of BNY Mellon. When Frazier said Paterno failed to protect children, he created a win-lose situation in which either Paterno failed to protect children or Kenneth Frazier is a liar whose character and judgment defects render him unfit to be a Trustee, and probably unfit to be CEO of the Merck Corporation.

Of course, Frazier and Masser admitted that they fired Paterno for public relations reasons, which proves the latter, and Frazier's racist tirade further underscores his lack of fitness to be in even a first-level supervisory position.

Last edited:
The University survived and is stronger than ever because the alumni effectively declared war on the BOT, and drove more than half of those responsible for 11/9/2011 off the Board in disgrace. It is because these Trustees' reputations are in ruins (along with that of the NCAA) that the University is regaining its reputation.

So your position is that research grants for the University have increased, and applications for admission to Penn State have reached record levels and Penn State continuing to be the highest recruited school by employers was all caused because the alumni declared war on the BoT. In a sane world that would seem preposterous, but this board has never been accused of being in that world. Amazing.

"Hey Dad, I want to apply to Penn State because their alumni effectively declared war on Penn State's BoT."
Huh?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT