ADVERTISEMENT

Statute removed 3 years ago today

The trustees threw the entire football program -- not just Paterno -- under the bus. Erickson, Peetz and Frazier wanted to kill Penn State football or at least greatly diminish it.

It was Ericksuck's stated mission.

Honestly, the statue never appealed to me . I had my sons crawling all over the Nittany Lion when they were little, and I have some great pics of that but I just don't think statues work with people. I think Joe would agree

That would have been a pretty untenable position given Joe's testimony under oath that he had been informed by MM of serious sexual assault allegations and other than notifying the AD he did nothing further. You have to consider the potential nuclear firestorm that may have engulfed the University leaving it but a shell of its former self from which it might never have recovered.

You may disagree with the BoT approach but one thing is clear; the University survived and is stronger than ever. That may not have been the result if your approach had been followed; but then we'll never know. We do know that the BoT approach did accomplish the goal of not only the survival of Penn State but also its continued growth.

As others have said, there was no way the entire school was going to get nuked over this scandal. For evidence of this we have a VERY close real life example in which a Temple trustee acted as counsel for Bill Cosby (who was also a Temple trustee) in defense of a civil suit/rape claim from a Temple employee and NOTHING happened to Temple (the employee eventually settled her civil case out of court). Faculty at Temple are just now (years after the fact) asking for this trustee to step down due to the inappropriateness of the whole ordeal.

Could you imagine if Ken Frazier was defending JS in court against civil claims from his accusers and those accusers were actual PSU employees? That would pretty much be the equivalent of what happened at Temple. And yet Temple didn't get nuked.

So your position is that research grants for the University have increased, and applications for admission to Penn State have reached record levels and Penn State continuing to be the highest recruited school by employers was all caused because the alumni declared war on the BoT. In a sane world that would seem preposterous, but this board has never been accused of being in that world. Amazing.
"Hey Dad, I want to apply to Penn State because their alumni effectively declared war on Penn State's BoT."
Huh?
Application numbers are a poor barometer of anything. Moody's reported last year that college applications in general have increased by 70% in the last 10 years despite only a 5% increase in high school graduates. Applications are up everywhere. Pitt's are up 11% to record levels. Also, colleges are juicing their application numbers. Here is an example of what Bucknell did.
"Bucknell University, the alma mater of novelist Philip Roth, attracted almost 8,000 applicants last year for 940 spots in its freshman class. That wasn’t enough for an admissions office seeking to enhance its image.
So this year, Bill Conley, the vice president for enrollment management, reached into what he called his “bag of tricks.” He cut Bucknell’s application fee to $40 from $60 and eliminated one of three required essays. The number of students seeking admission soared 40 percent, to almost 11,000." It's all smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:
If in concert with that the BOT put their football program in moratorium until the whole issue was resolved then that would have worked fine. Anything else and the public would not have stood for it.
What would the public done about it, stomp their feet?

That would have been a pretty untenable position given Joe's testimony under oath that he had been informed by MM of serious sexual assault allegations and other than notifying the AD he did nothing further. You have to consider the potential nuclear firestorm that may have engulfed the University leaving it but a shell of its former self from which it might never have recovered.

You may disagree with the BoT approach but one thing is clear; the University survived and is stronger than ever. That may not have been the result if your approach had been followed; but then we'll never know. We do know that the BoT approach did accomplish the goal of not only the survival of Penn State but also its continued growth.
I'd like to make one thing clear, PSU survived because it was and is a great university. This is in spite of the misanthropes who signed on for endless cocktail parties and the opportunity to play in the multi-billion dollar sandbox that is PSU. They thought that they could destroy Joe and hide their dirty little games..........wrong on both counts.

So your position is that research grants for the University have increased, and applications for admission to Penn State have reached record levels and Penn State continuing to be the highest recruited school by employers was all caused because the alumni declared war on the BoT. In a sane world that would seem preposterous, but this board has never been accused of being in that world. Amazing.

"Hey Dad, I want to apply to Penn State because their alumni effectively declared war on Penn State's BoT."
Huh?
th

As others have said, there was no way the entire school was going to get nuked over this scandal. For evidence of this we have a VERY close real life example in which a Temple trustee acted as counsel for Bill Cosby (who was also a Temple trustee) in defense of a civil suit/rape claim from a Temple employee and NOTHING happened to Temple (the employee eventually settled her civil case out of court). Faculty at Temple are just now (years after the fact) asking for this trustee to step down due to the inappropriateness of the whole ordeal.

Could you imagine if Ken Frazier was defending JS in court against civil claims from his accusers and those accusers were actual PSU employees? That would pretty much be the equivalent of what happened at Temple. And yet Temple didn't get nuked.
If JS had been an employee of Merck, my guess is that Frazier would have represented him.

Reactions: B_Levinson
Not a distant memory for me.

When and where will it go back up. Regardless of whether you are a fan of the statute per se, it needs to go back uk because its return is much more important than its design!

What statutes were removed?

Our BOT didn't seem to follow the statutes that were still in effect anyway....

Huh?

Penn State is itself pretty resilient. Students are applying and research grants are increasing for reasons similar to those for which Mexicans are trying to enter the U.S. illegally even though Barack Obama is President (or, if you are a Democrat, Bush was President in the previous 8 years). It's pretty hard to mess up either Penn State or the U.S. badly enough to make it undesirable, although Masser, Peetz, & Co. did their best to screw up Penn State.

That's a deliberate and blatant misrepresentation of what Paterno testified to. He never testified to anything close to how you characterized it. And if the University wanted to, they easily could have put his grand jury testimony in the proper context, i.e., he was testifying to events that happened 10 years earlier, his testimony was filled with equivocation ("I don't know what you'd call it"), there was no opportunity for opposing counsel to get him to clarify what he meant by "sexual nature," etc. And your cause and effect analysis is ridiculous. You have no idea if the University is stronger BECAUSE of the actions of the BOT or IN SPITE of the actions of the BOT. Imagine some street punk mugs a guy and beats him to within an inch of his life. It takes years of intensive physical and occupational training but the guy not only recovers but actually grows stronger, both physically and emotionally, as a result of the whole experience. Should he thank the street punk for the beating because, afterall, he wouldn't be where he was without it, right? Silly, just like most of your very predictable posts.

The misanthrope "trustees" have learned that you can remove the statue, but you can't suppress Joe's Spirit. They actually thought they could destroy 6 decades of achievement with their sinister vendetta.
The myth that the "power bloc" trustees were blindsided and reacted swiftly to the MSM firestorm is hilarious.
Do they read the paper? Didn't a trustee once ask TC, "when are YOU going to do something about JS?"
Yes, they seized the opportunity to put Joe in his place and "show him who is in charge here."
Buy the way , John Surma, how is that going?
Many power bloc trustees were lawyers who knew what the GJP was. They chose to treat it as if it were completely factual.
Three years after the statue was removed and Dave Joyner watched over the process hidden in the stadium......not one shred of evidence exists to justify what the misanthropes did to Joe and the football program.

If in concert with that the BOT put their football program in moratorium until the whole issue was resolved then that would have worked fine. Anything else and the public would not have stood for it.

The actions of the BOT didn't make this a big story. If you recall, this was the biggest story in the country, by far, before the BOT did anything. The entire nation was waiting to see what PSU was going to do. They couldn't just do nothing.
You must not have followed the story as it was happening which isn't a surprise since most people formed an opinion based on inaccurate media reports. First, putting the football program in moratorium would have been ridiculous. Second, the actions (and lack of action) of the BoT certainly did make this a big story. The late night firing of Joe whipped everything into a frenzy then afterward the BoT did nothing. And I mean absolutely nothing. For several days they were quiet and there was no leadership whatsoever. This allowed false media reports to circulate with nobody willing and say they were wrong. The football team, none of whom had anything to do with Sandusky, became the de facto spokespeople of the university since the people in real leadership roles lacked the courage to leave their bunker and explain their actions. It was a colossal collapse of institutional leadership. So here we are today dealing with a huge steaming pile of excrement which wouldn't exist had the 9/11 BoT had any collective backbone at all.

That's a deliberate and blatant misrepresentation of what Paterno testified to. He never testified to anything close to how you characterized it. And if the University wanted to, they easily could have put his grand jury testimony in the proper context, i.e., he was testifying to events that happened 10 years earlier, his testimony was filled with equivocation ("I don't know what you'd call it"), there was no opportunity for opposing counsel to get him to clarify what he meant by "sexual nature," etc. And your cause and effect analysis is ridiculous. You have no idea if the University is stronger BECAUSE of the actions of the BOT or IN SPITE of the actions of the BOT. Imagine some street punk mugs a guy and beats him to within an inch of his life. It takes years of intensive physical and occupational training but the guy not only recovers but actually grows stronger, both physically and emotionally, as a result of the whole experience. Should he thank the street punk for the beating because, afterall, he wouldn't be where he was without it, right? Silly, just like most of your very predictable posts.

A description of a man with a young boy in the shower fondling or doing something sexual in nature certainly sounds like indecent contact which when done to a minor can constitute sexual assault under the laws of Pennsylvania. Remember that Joe's statement of "I don't know what you'd call it" was after he described the activity. As such it didn't modify the nature of the activity, it merely showed that Joe didn't know what you'd call that activity.

As to cause and effect, that was not my point. All I stated was that to take the position that Penn State should have effectively ignored the news could have produced a firestorm which could have seriously damaged the institution. We don't know what would have happened but we do know that the route chosen by the BoT has not resulted in any permanent serious damage to Penn State and in fact the school is stronger today.

Reactions: mdahmus
A description of a man with a young boy in the shower fondling or doing something sexual in nature certainly sounds like indecent contact which when done to a minor can constitute sexual assault under the laws of Pennsylvania. Remember that Joe's statement of "I don't know what you'd call it" was after he described the activity. As such it didn't modify the nature of the activity, it merely showed that Joe didn't know what you'd call that activity.

As to cause and effect, that was not my point. All I stated was that to take the position that Penn State should have effectively ignored the news could have produced a firestorm which could have seriously damaged the institution. We don't know what would have happened but we do know that the route chosen by the BoT has not resulted in any permanent serious damage to Penn State and in fact the school is stronger today.

Look, I'm not about to get into a debate with someone who will go to the lenghts you will to parse words just to maintain his claim that Paterno should have done more. I've been doing it for 3 years with people like you and I'm done. You are an intellectually dishonest person and I will not waste any time engaging with you. I'll point out your dishonesty, but no back and forth. So don't waste your time replying.

And there was permanent serious damage done to Penn State. A man who gave 61 years of his life to Penn State and who was instrumental in helping Penn State transform from a good regional college to a world class university was thrown to the wolves thanks to a group of cowards on the BOT. That Penn State would do that to a man who gave as much to the school as Paterno did has forever changed my view of the University...and not in a good way. And I know I'm not alone. Might not mean anything to you but I couldn't care less.

Look, I'm not about to get into a debate with someone who will go to the lenghts you will to parse words just to maintain his claim that Paterno should have done more. I've been doing it for 3 years with people like you and I'm done. You are an intellectually dishonest person and I will not waste any time engaging with you. I'll point out your dishonesty, but no back and forth. So don't waste your time replying.

And there was permanent serious damage done to Penn State. A man who gave 61 years of his life to Penn State and who was instrumental in helping Penn State transform from a good regional college to a world class university was thrown to the wolves thanks to a group of cowards on the BOT. That Penn State would do that to a man who gave as much to the school as Paterno did has forever changed my view of the University...and not in a good way. And I know I'm not alone. Might not mean anything to you but I couldn't care less.

+1.

Reactions: CappyToCJF

th

I don't care if Joe gave 61 years or 61 minutes. For the BoT to push him out in front of issues that THEY failed to properly manage is a travesty.

The actions of the BOT didn't make this a big story. If you recall, this was the biggest story in the country, by far, before the BOT did anything. The entire nation was waiting to see what PSU was going to do. They couldn't just do nothing.
Yes they could have done nothing. They should have allowed everyone involved to have their day in court.

The BOT panicked and overstepped their bounds.

You shouldn't have wasted your time attempting to respond to my post because it wasn't responsive; it merely contained self serving conclusions. That's fine with me; time marches on.

And the Douche Local #842 will be contacting you because he is not one of their members; you are doing all Douches everywhere a disservice by lumping this tool with them.

He is only here today because his handlers with the Nov2011BOT complained about his inactivity.......and they threatened to cut his stipend!

Not a distant memory for me.

When and where will it go back up. Regardless of whether you are a fan of the statute per se, it needs to go back uk because its return is much more important than its design!
I would rather see a different statue or none at all. Joe Paterno was not the type for statues. I think eventually Joe Paterno field at Beaver Stadium will be the tribute. A little more time needs to pass for this to become a reality but I think we will see it in about 5 years.

It was Ericksuck's stated mission.
If they wanted to kill the football program their response to JS's arrest would have been to do absolutely nothing. That would have brought more public wrath than anything else.
The notion that anybody wanted to kill the cash cow and the financial engine that fuels not only a community but an entire University's sports program is absolutely not a reasonable conclusion . Mistakes were certainly made but to think that it was a goal of somebody to basically destroy the University's athletic engine is not logical in my opinion.

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
Yes they could have done nothing. They should have allowed everyone involved to have their day in court.

The BOT panicked and overstepped their bounds.
Panicked might be the best description I have heard to describe the boards actions in some of their decisions. The social and media pressure was certainly a factor along with a vile over reaching NCAA.

The notion that anybody wanted to kill the cash cow and the financial engine that fuels not only a community but an entire University's sports program is absolutely not a reasonable conclusion . Mistakes were certainly made but to think that it was a goal of somebody to basically destroy the University's athletic engine is not logical in my opinion.
Destruction is seldom logical.

Erickson, the idiot, is on record that he wanted to "de-emphasize FB at Penn State". Try again.

Decisions were made by a select few. I suggest that Tom Corbett had a great deal to say to those who were prepared to axe Joe. I absolutely disagree panic had anything to do with executing their plan.

stat·ute
ˈstaCHo͞ot/

noun
  1. a written law passed by a legislative body.
    "violation of the hate crimes statute"
    synonyms: law, regulation, enactment, act, bill, decree, edict, rule, ruling, resolution,dictum, command, order, directive, order-in-council, pronouncement,proclamation, dictate, fiat, bylaw, ordinance
    "she built her case around an all but forgotten statute"
    • a rule of an organization or institution.
      "the appointment will be subject to the statutes of the university"
    • archaic
      (in biblical use) a law or decree made by a sovereign, or by God

Tough to take this thread seriously when it gets started with such illiteracy.....

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT