ADVERTISEMENT

The Cleveland Guardians...

Tom Hanks started his career in CLE doing shakespear at the Lakewood Ohio Beck Center for the Performing Arts and lived in the city for a short period of time. He has always spoken well of CLE and his time here.

The Guardians are a set of art deco "Guardians of Traffic" carved into the Hope Memorial Bridge. They were carved out, or at least managed, by Harry Hope who is the father of the famous actor and comedian Bob Hope who was born here.

I am not a fan of changing the name. In fact, the franchise signed an agreement with several native American tribes to keep the "Indians" name as long as they got rid of the Indian Chief Wahoo logo two years ago. Regardless, it is the best they could do. Spiders was a consideration but would have had some legal challenges. And "Guardians" is not that much different than "Indians" as the new logo suggests.

340px-Guardian_of_Traffic_%28cropped%29.jpg

cleveland-guardians-logo-new-indians-team-2022.png

cleveland-indians-scripted-logo-2012-sportslogosnet-750x487.png
Stupid name. Might as well call themselves the Cleveland jailers.

PDJT weighs in:

Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America

07/22/21

Can anybody believe that the Cleveland Indians, a storied and cherished baseball franchise since taking the name in 1915, are changing their name to the Guardians? Such a disgrace, and I guarantee that the people who are most angry about it are the many Indians of our Country. Wouldn’t it be an honor to have a team named the Cleveland Indians, and wouldn’t it be disrespectful to rip that name and logo off of those jerseys? The people of Cleveland cannot be thrilled and I, as a FORMER baseball fan, cannot believe things such as this are happening. A small group of people, with absolutely crazy ideas and policies, is forcing these changes to destroy our culture and heritage. At some point, the people will not take it anymore!

PDJT weighs in:

Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America

07/22/21

Can anybody believe that the Cleveland Indians, a storied and cherished baseball franchise since taking the name in 1915, are changing their name to the Guardians? Such a disgrace, and I guarantee that the people who are most angry about it are the many Indians of our Country. Wouldn’t it be an honor to have a team named the Cleveland Indians, and wouldn’t it be disrespectful to rip that name and logo off of those jerseys? The people of Cleveland cannot be thrilled and I, as a FORMER baseball fan, cannot believe things such as this are happening. A small group of people, with absolutely crazy ideas and policies, is forcing these changes to destroy our culture and heritage. At some point, the people will not take it anymore!
Someday he'll realize most people don't care what he thinks. And he's now a FORMER fan? All current fans say "thank you".

The name Guardians is obviously beyond lame. Weird how things work: I live south of the Navajo Reservation and have seen more than a couple Cleveland Indians hats being worn by Navajos. I'm also sure there is a stink about it with other Navajos. Historically it's undeniable Native peoples were often uber abused by the immigrant Europeans. Maybe we should have a representational input from the tribes and less from the 'guardians'?

Let’s not get our hopes up. Whatever they choose will be pretty meh. I’m not quite a fan of the new Cleveland name and branding but it does have a strong connection to the city. They could have done a hell of a lot worse. Washington will not choose a name (like Senators or Nationals) associated with government. Once you eliminate such possibilities, what are you left with? Pandas? Another limitation is that it’s necessary to keep the burgundy and gold colors.

I'm really rooting for the Washington Snyders.

Snyder
(Noun) A Snyder is a person whose boundaries are limitless. They can achieve anything they desire. Intelligence, Athleticism, & Beauty are all very common attributes of a Snyder. The Dos Equis beer commercials, the most interesting man in the world, were actually based mostly in fact about a Snyder. Despite having an "aura" of greatness, Snyders are very humble & respectful people. They are aware that to achieve, they must sacrifice & work hard. They gain only by their own merit, not off of the sweat of another. A Snyder will lift up his neighbor to help them succeed rather than gloat in their own success. Some Snyders are the life of the party, while others are simply great listeners. A Snyder is a great friend/companion to have.
In life there are leaders, followers, & Snyders. Snyders tend to lead the leaders.

Disregarding the PC stuff that caused this at first this is the worst nickname I have ever heard of.

I get why people may have been offended with the logo but Indians isn't an offensive term.
Cleveland Tribe?

Just do not get this.

The Cleveland ownership released the most ridiculous statement about the name change. They said that this new ("Y") generation is "less tolerant of intolerance." Does anyone have any idea what that means? Seems to me if someone is less tolerant of intolerance than they wouldn't even have the tolerance of an intolerant person. It's very confusing.

There is a simple solution to all those who are offended by some team names. Eliminate team names altogether. Simply refer to the team's as the Pittsburgh Baseball team, the Philadelphia Hockey Club, the Atlanta Basketball team....etc. etc.
Or we could stop bending over for every small percentage of every minority group that gets offended by the slightest thing…..just a thought.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
The Cleveland ownership released the most ridiculous statement about the name change. They said that this new ("Y") generation is "less tolerant of intolerance." Does anyone have any idea what that means? Seems to me if someone is less tolerant of intolerance than they wouldn't even have the tolerance of an intolerant person. It's very confusing.
I am intolerant of the use of than where then should be used. No one gives a Shit!

Actually, why do any of us give a damn what spoiled Billionaires call their over valued franchise teams....seriously....
The Cleveland Tee Ball Team would be the most appropriate based on decades of traditional performance! Is this at all worth the time we have given it here?

I am intolerant of the use of than where then should be used. No one gives a Shit!

Actually, why do any of us give a damn what spoiled Billionaires call their over valued franchise teams....seriously....
The Cleveland Tee Ball Team would be the most appropriate based on decades of traditional performance! Is this at all worth the time we have given it here?
So you wouldn't mind if Penn State drops Nittany Lions or changes it?

So you wouldn't mind if Penn State drops Nittany Lions or changes it?

I thought a true PSU fan would know PSU has changed names, logos and colors more than university in the US...except maybe Auburn ... are you torqued out of shape because we have gave up the Pink and Black for the Blue and White. Good Lord...

Tom Hanks started his career in CLE doing shakespear at the Lakewood Ohio Beck Center for the Performing Arts and lived in the city for a short period of time. He has always spoken well of CLE and his time here.

The Guardians are a set of art deco "Guardians of Traffic" carved into the Hope Memorial Bridge. They were carved out, or at least managed, by Harry Hope who is the father of the famous actor and comedian Bob Hope who was born here.

I am not a fan of changing the name. In fact, the franchise signed an agreement with several native American tribes to keep the "Indians" name as long as they got rid of the Indian Chief Wahoo logo two years ago. Regardless, it is the best they could do. Spiders was a consideration but would have had some legal challenges. And "Guardians" is not that much different than "Indians" as the new logo suggests.

340px-Guardian_of_Traffic_%28cropped%29.jpg

cleveland-guardians-logo-new-indians-team-2022.png

cleveland-indians-scripted-logo-2012-sportslogosnet-750x487.png
What were the statues guarding against - the Indians er Native Americans er indigenous peoples?

Torqued out?? Lol
Look at the whole thread and the attention this gets in the babbling media. You would think the topic actually mattered in our lives. As long as the franchises go up in value the owners don't care. The players only care about their paychecks. Fan-atics and the city governments keep placating the aforementioned. So, the names change and the media and fans throw a brief hissy fit. Those that want life to stop unchanged shout 'cancel culture' for a couple news cycles as if we don't have more important issues that are being ignored; things that have been hounding us for centuries. This is what we otherwise foolishly comfortable choose to quibble about. Yawn.

What were the statues guarding against - the Indians er Native Americans er indigenous peoples?
Serious question? They are guardians of transportation safety. Remember there were built in the 1920 s.

Each Guardian holds a different vehicle in its hand--a hay wagon, covered wagon, stagecoach, a 1930s-era automobile, as well as four types of motorized trucks used for construction.

I know that they were looking into Spiders and Rockers but they were dealing with a lot of "squatters" who grabbed those domains and were asking $millions$ for the names.

Personally, I would have loved the "Steamers" name, but that wouldn't fly....
Rockers was the WNBA team name and may still be active. Helen Darling of Lady Lions fame played for them (and grew up around the corner from where I used to live--same high school as Paul O'Neill and Terry Glenn).

I think it means that people today are intolerant of their version of intolerance. Therefore, everyone is just intolerant or at least viewed to be intolerant. No one safe, no one is good, with a notable exception.

Only the government and media overlord arbiters of tolerance that stoke intolerance of intolerance are good. In fact, they are to be worshipped no matter what inconsistencies may exist in their personal lives.

If they've dressed in blackface, that's cool as long as they speak out against other perceived intolerance. If they've murdered tens of thousands of octogenarians by sending COVID+ patients into their residences, that's cool, as long as they speak out against other perceived intolerance. And they'll let you know what is intolerance or not. And you sure as he!! can't tolerate honoring indigenous peoples by naming a baseball team after them.

Look at the whole thread and the attention this gets in the babbling media. You would think the topic actually mattered in our lives. As long as the franchises go up in value the owners don't care. The players only care about their paychecks. Fan-atics and the city governments keep placating the aforementioned. So, the names change and the media and fans throw a brief hissy fit. Those that want life to stop unchanged shout 'cancel culture' for a couple news cycles as if we don't have more important issues that are being ignored; things that have been hounding us for centuries. This is what we otherwise foolishly comfortable choose to quibble about. Yawn.
So it doesn’t matter if your house is falling down as long as it’s a little at a time. It’s just small things, don’t worry about them….then they add up to become big things. It’s not just about the name change (which may or may not be a small thing depending on who you ask), it’s about why the name was changed (which is a big thing).

Serious question? They are guardians of transportation safety. Remember there were built in the 1920 s.

Each Guardian holds a different vehicle in its hand--a hay wagon, covered wagon, stagecoach, a 1930s-era automobile, as well as four types of motorized trucks used for construction.
It was not a serious question - it was tongue in cheek. I don't care what they are guarding against, it is a god-awful name for a sports franchise.

It was not a serious question - it was tongue in cheek. I don't care what they are guarding against, it is a god-awful name for a sports franchise.
Guardians of the Galaxy? Marvel ought to sue their asses,.

My friend. I believe this string is not simply over the Indians name change but out of the frustration over the direction that our society is headed. Remember the lesson taught to us by an old ball coach.....take care of the little things and the big things will fall in place.

Reactions: Monlion
Guardians of the Galaxy? Marvel ought to sue their asses,.
Word is that they’ve already settled with marvel and since the guardians was already in place in Cleveland they didn’t have a realistic claim

If they wanted historical, why not go with the Cleveland Generals after the city's namesake?

Also, it appears that there is a roller derby team named the Cleveland Guardians that have been around since at least 2016. I hope they demand a tidy sum for their url: http://www.clevelandguardians.com/ Their page is timing out a lot, so I included a screenshot.

clevelandguardians.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
I heard Golden State was updating their name to the SJ Warriors. The mascot will now be a 4'11" rainbow haired non-binary pansexual individual. Everytime there is a foul, ze/they will get in the offender's face and demand they acknowledge their privilege and atone for their position in the patriarchy that oppresses marginalized groups.
The Cleveland Pandering Pansies.

They considered and rejected the "Rockers." That would have been such a great name. Guardians sounds like it's sponsored by an insurance company. Oh well, go Bucs!

Now that we've taken care of Chief Wahoo, we can turn our attention to lesser, but no less egregious mascots, like Fiddlesticks, the Pirates Parrot. Around the world today, Whiteness has oppressed people of color and forced them, disproportionately, to become pirates to feed their families. To understand this, one only needs to watch Tom Hanks' portrayal of Capt Philips and his tyranny and oppression of pirates of color, who were mostly peaceful, as they tried to reclaim the riches being extracted from the people of their homeland by white colonialism. To boot, these pirates or color are being demeaned by being portrayed by a cartoonish parrot in a bandana. How offensive!!! Whiteness must end!!!!! Cancel Fiddlesticks!*

*Note - This post is only satire until it inevitably becomes real.

My final comment as a Clevelander and 40-year tribe fan.

I think ownership shit the bed on changing the name. There could have been a lot of cool things to do, with the Tribes, then changing the name. Now, the tribes have zero platform with which to bring native American issues to the forefront. I know, for a fact, that the Tribes agreed to be OK with the Indian name if they dropped Wahoo which was fine by me. And I spoke to protesters that didn't want them to change the name lest they have nothing to use to get PR.

My personal opinion is that it simply was considered a liability when/if they sell the team and that is why the decision was made. Bite the bullet, pay the price, position it for sale down the road to maximize profit. Follow the money.

Having said all of that, I love the "Guardians" name. It has roots to the city, will be easily leveraged for imagery, and is transferable (Indians to Guardians, the "C" to a "G"). I really liked the use of Tom Hanks because he is a Tribe fan, spent time in the city and is tied to "baseball" from staring in one of the great baseball movies of all time. The bottom line is that it is a business and if you want to enjoy it, you've got to move beyond the BS of fans, and passion and "for the game" and accept "for the dollar". And, BTW, college football fans should get used to it because it ain't gonna get any better.

01d39a6c6357d5a5153085079ff9891b.gif

Reactions: Midnighter2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT