ADVERTISEMENT

Things I miss about College Football, help me out...

grinagrin

Aug 25, 2001
In no order,

-Kickoff Classic @ The Meadowlands
-Cut-Off Jerseys
-traditional rivalries gone (Texas v Texas A&M, Nebraska v Oklahoma, etc)
-Courtney Brown
-natural grass fields
-good national games on from noon
-Joe Paterno
-us playing teams like Southern Cal, The Canes, 'Bama, The Irish regularly
-63-14 in '94
-Michigan dominating the osu rivalry
-Catholics vs Convicts

I will add more as they come to me

Another great Linebacker out of PSU or Linebacker U being mentioned on NFL games....also Linebackers returning Punts for TDs (Denny O) thanks to the other post about NC State game, I only heard it on the radio but WOW!

Another great Linebacker out of PSU or Linebacker U being mentioned on NFL games....also Linebackers returning Punts for TDs (Denny O) thanks to the other post about NC State game, I only heard it on the radio but WOW!

I miss the bands playing at half on TV , instead of listening to blathering idiots analyzing games.

I miss uninterrupted games, not some cheesy highlight from the Kentucky - Ole Miss game.

I miss the bands playing at half on TV , instead of listening to blathering idiots analyzing games.

I miss uninterrupted games, not some cheesy highlight from the Kentucky - Ole Miss game.

This reminds me of the followings situation. Games X and Y are on. You have your choice. You choose to watch Game X. As you're watching Game X they say "Let's go over to Game Y and see what's happening." If I wanted to watch Game Y THEN I'D BE WATCHING GAME Y!!! The reason I turned on Game X is because I want to watch Game X. Leave Game X on.

Another one is all the garbage at the bottom of the screen. The scroll with every bit of sports info imaginable. Not just the score of ongoing games but also the fact that LSU is hosting Lamar tonight at 8:30. Then the baseball scores. Then the pre-season hockey scores. Then the tennis scores. Then the golf scores. Then the bit about the NFL player that has been suspended for four games for using performance enhancing drugs. Then the upcoming game schedule for the network you're watching and all their sister networks.

With all the technology we have these days you ought to have the option of pushing a button and making all that crap at the bottom of the screen go away. I'm tuned in to watch the game being broadcast and having all that other stuff constantly on the screed detracts from my game viewing experience.

I miss the time when there was no drivel from the sideline reporter.
I miss the time when the only shots of the crowd were random shots of fans cheering, not 100 shots of Dan Persa's mom or Brady Quinn's sister.
I miss the important bowl games on January 1st and ONLY January 1st
I miss the Blue Band playing Brass Roots, Boo Gonk, and Hail to the Lion instead of piped in music

This reminds me of the followings situation. Games X and Y are on. You have your choice. You choose to watch Game X. As you're watching Game X they say "Let's go over to Game Y and see what's happening." If I wanted to watch Game Y THEN I'D BE WATCHING GAME Y!!! The reason I turned on Game X is because I want to watch Game X. Leave Game X on.

Another one is all the garbage at the bottom of the screen. The scroll with every bit of sports info imaginable. Not just the score of ongoing games but also the fact that LSU is hosting Lamar tonight at 8:30. Then the baseball scores. Then the pre-season hockey scores. Then the tennis scores. Then the golf scores. Then the bit about the NFL player that has been suspended for four games for using performance enhancing drugs. Then the upcoming game schedule for the network you're watching and all their sister networks.

With all the technology we have these days you ought to have the option of pushing a button and making all that crap at the bottom of the screen go away. I'm tuned in to watch the game being broadcast and having all that other stuff constantly on the screed detracts from my game viewing experience.

I remember the day......really not that long ago, that all the meaningful bowl games were on New Year's Day and I would set up about 5 TV's in our living room and would split my cable signal and would have a different bowl game on each TV. This was back in the day that we were spanking Tennessee every other year in a bowl game.

In no order,

-Cut-Off Jerseys
-Courtney Brown
-natural grass fields
-Joe Paterno
-63-14 in '94
-Catholics vs Convicts

Quarterbacks wearing numbers in the 20's (Kosar, Flutie, Shuler, Lorenzen)

Some great ones listed so far. I have nothing to add to the list, so I will offer a somewhat relevant musical interlude. :)

In no order,

-Cut-Off Jerseys
-Courtney Brown
-natural grass fields
-Joe Paterno
-63-14 in '94
-Catholics vs Convicts

Chris Schenkle and Bud Wilkinson. Player introductions where they would stand in front of the camera and tell you all their information in their own words.The prudential college scoreboard with the Minnesota rouser playing in the back ground. Marshmallows bombarding the Penn State players in the end zone after a touchdown. Keith Jackson with Frank Broyles. The wishbone formation. Televised marching band halftime shows.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
In no order,

-Cut-Off Jerseys
-Courtney Brown
-natural grass fields
-Joe Paterno
-63-14 in '94
-Catholics vs Convicts

1:00PM kickoffs

1:00PM kickoffs
Standing outside Beaver Stadium and buying a ticket for $10 from a guy who had one or two tickets, not 100. Lindsey Nelson on Sunday mornings - "moving to further action later in the drive... ". ND not going to bowls. The era of iconic coaches like Joe, the Bear, Ara, McKay, Woody, Bo, Royal, Deveny; the diamonds in the PSU end zones; when Pitt actually had a stadium on campus.

Reactions: BBrown

TOTALLY agree about the score bar at the bottom of the screen. That should be for scores of other games and that's it. I don't care who is pitching for the Cubs tonight, their record, the last 10 game streak the pitcher was on......then the pitcher for whoever the Cubs are playing, their batting percentage.....then the weather for game time in Chicago, etc etc. It takes like 20 minutes for the score bar to actually get back to giving scores. ESPN is the absolute worst at this. Clearly they put some baseball guy who lives for stats in charge of that thing. ;)

I remember the day......really not that long ago, that all the meaningful bowl games were on New Year's Day and I would set up about 5 TV's in our living room and would split my cable signal and would have a different bowl game on each TV. This was back in the day that we were spanking Tennessee every other year in a bowl game.

Ha...

The old "split the cable signal, to watch multiple major bowl games trick!"

The Classic New Year's Day Bowl set-up LighthouseGolfer.

And fans didn't pay the cable company for each TV they had running off of their split signals.

In no order,

-Cut-Off Jerseys
-Courtney Brown
-natural grass fields
-Joe Paterno
-63-14 in '94
-Catholics vs Convicts

I am going to add this, and yes, it also pertains to games at Beaver Stadium: Games in which the DAMN PA ANNOUNCER DOESN'T RAMBLE ON LIKE A PLAY BY PLAY ANNOUNCER AND RUIN THE GAME.

There, rant over. And yes, this means YOU, PSU P.A. announcer who prattles on and on after every play. STAY OFF THE DAMN MIC FOR A SECOND OR TWO AND LET US ENJOY THE GAME, WE KNOW IT'S 3RD AND 4, WE HAVE EYES AND EARS THAT WORK.

I am going to add this, and yes, it also pertains to games at Beaver Stadium: Games in which the DAMN PA ANNOUNCER DOESN'T RAMBLE ON LIKE A PLAY BY PLAY ANNOUNCER AND RUIN THE GAME.

There, rant over. And yes, this means YOU, PSU P.A. announcer who prattles on and on after every play. STAY OFF THE DAMN MIC FOR A SECOND OR TWO AND LET US ENJOY THE GAME, WE KNOW IT'S 3RD AND 4, WE HAVE EYES AND EARS THAT WORK.
Amen 21 Guns! Thought maybe I was the only one who finds him to be unbearable!

Agree on the marching bands. And also miss the Slippery Rock score on the past game show.

Walking around Beaver Stadium on the track. The view of Mount Nittany from the south end zone. Actually being able to hear the Blue Band in the old stadium set up. The time Stanford came to town with their tremendous band and they played a tribute to the recently deceased Chairman Mao by playing China Grove. Nebraska coming to town and their fans with the big goofy styrofoam cowboy hats. Doug Flutie and a night game. Playing Pitt around Thanksgiving and coming back to campus and drinking beer in the cold parking fields. And who can forget the infamous Shitt on Pitt t shirts and buttons!

Walking around Beaver Stadium on the track. The view of Mount Nittany from the south end zone. Actually being able to hear the Blue Band in the old stadium set up. The time Stanford came to town with their tremendous band and they played a tribute to the recently deceased Chairman Mao by playing China Grove. Nebraska coming to town and their fans with the big goofy styrofoam cowboy hats. Doug Flutie and a night game. Playing Pitt around Thanksgiving and coming back to campus and drinking beer in the cold parking fields. And who can forget the infamous Shitt on Pitt t shirts and buttons!

Stanford's band is anything but "tremendous".

I also miss the Penn State Sub Shop that used to be in Pleasant Gap that we would hit once or twice a year when rolling into town (or should I say, sitting in traffic coming into town) on weekends we didn't tailgate. Shame that location closed.

Reactions: ALion4Life
I also miss the Penn State Sub Shop that used to be in Pleasant Gap that we would hit once or twice a year when rolling into town (or should I say, sitting in traffic coming into town) on weekends we didn't tailgate. Shame that location closed.

When I was in State College on Blue-White Weekend, I was disappointed to see that Penn State Sub Shop #1 on Beaver Avenue had gone out of business. They always painted the football schedule with scores on the storefront.

Most of them aren't even American, lmao.

That doesn't matter, but they aren't a good band. They are sometimes amusing, sometimes stupid, and sometimes offensive. They have a tremendous reputation, but it's hardly all good.

I miss George Paterno and Fran Fischer!!

I miss seeing the cadets and the midshipmen in the stadium

I miss seeing frat guys in sportcoats and their dates in heels

I miss the blue band marching into games

Both of Penn State's National Title teams were quarterbacked by Ohio kids. We rarely got a kid out of there if Ohio State was really on them.

we have 3. the 3rd was engineered by a pa kid. of course, knu disputes this claim to #3...

In no order,

-Cut-Off Jerseys
-Courtney Brown
-natural grass fields
-Joe Paterno
-63-14 in '94
-Catholics vs Convicts

frankly, they should play all the 'who cares' games at noon. i've rarely seen a noon game that was truly representative of the caliber of play we'd expect from a given team. kids do not tend to do well at noon. they do well at 3:30 or later. yeah, there are exceptions, but for the most part, they are still at least half asleep.

as are many of the fans (and the student body is still struggling with awake issue until half past dead).

In no order,

-Cut-Off Jerseys
-Courtney Brown
-natural grass fields
-Joe Paterno
-63-14 in '94
-Catholics vs Convicts

Games less than 3 hrs plus, the van parked by the IM building with music blaring and kids drinking
only beer from a keg, and Brian The Flyin' Lion.

I miss when the post season was really special. Now, with 100 bowl games, they'll need to reduce the requirements to whether you played a game in front of 100+ people. (Sorry Pitt.) Any Tom, Dick, or Harry gets a bowl game. Everyone gets a trophy. Any team named "Ohio State" gets to be in the playoffs regardless of how many points the referees gave them.

I miss when the post season was really special. Now, with 100 bowl games, they'll need to reduce the requirements to whether you played a game in front of 100+ people. (Sorry Pitt.) Any Tom, Dick, or Harry gets a bowl game.

I really do not understand this. No one holds a gun to your head to force you to watch them.
confused-smiley-013.gif

When half of Penn State's games weren't on the BTN. It used to be I could always see pretty much every game. Now, since I don't have the BTN and it's not offered in my area and I don't want to change my whole cable system to satellite, I have to go somewhere to watch the game. I hate the BTN!

Keith Jackson ....whoa Nelly!
The Prudential College Football Halftime Report
My old tailgate spot near the stadium

When half of Penn State's games weren't on the BTN. It used to be I could always see pretty much every game. Now, since I don't have the BTN and it's not offered in my area and I don't want to change my whole cable system to satellite, I have to go somewhere to watch the game. I hate the BTN!

There are certainly reasons to not like the BTN, but this sounds like a reason to not like your cable provider. Why not question your provider why they don't carry the BTN? The more interest shown, the more likely they will start to carry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT