ADVERTISEMENT

Third QB rule

Looks like the chances of Sean Clifford and Trace McSorely making active rosters this year just increased significantly!
There is a possibility some teams might continue to dress two during the regular season since it's optional. The article says the 3rd QB, if dressed comes from the 53 man roster and is for emergency use only. Coming from the 53 man roster will give teams pause

Reactions: bison13
There is a possibility some teams might continue to dress two during the regular season since it's optional. The article says the 3rd QB, if dressed comes from the 53 man roster and is for emergency use only. Coming from the 53 man roster will give teams pause
Could be. But as a team could dress 48 for each game, seems it would be best to have one of the 5 remaining be a QB3 who could get in the game if there’s an emergency. Rather than keep another position player they can’t even dress on the 53-man.

Last edited:
Could be. But as a team could dress 48 for each game, seems it would be best to have one of the 5 remaining be a QB3 who could get in the same if there’s an emergency. Rather than keep another position player they can’t even dress on the 53-man.
Agree but I am not sure that solves the problem. I would imagine most coaches figure your chances of winning with a 3rd team QB are slim and none. It seems the benefit here is that you can have one more dressed and ready to go if he is a QB and only used in the case of QBs 1 and 2 going down. The rule will only be effective if the coach doesn't have any downside, or can't manipulate and upside, to this new rule. Realistically, the only issue was the playoff game. I have little interest in the 3rd team QB being inserted into a Browns or Steelers game after sitting on the bench having a lung dart and fresca all game (by that I mean, not being prepared). Teams aren't going to spend valuable practice time on an emergency QB during the regular season. And when #1 goes down, they will prepare #3 to move up to #2. So it is really just an in-game issue that will be inconsequential.

Reactions: RickinDayton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT