ADVERTISEMENT

This year's best streaming service for PSU FB TV watching.

Dynoman

Jul 29, 2022
I have used FUBO and Apple in the past . I have read there may be some network shifting this season ? Don't know about this . Anybody have anything worthy to chip in on which service may carry more games ? Thanks I advance . Getting ready ..........

I don’t know but I do recall the days when media posted maps of the USA showing what games would be shown where. An enterprising person could do the same with games on what streaming service

Reactions: Dynoman
I have used FUBO and Apple in the past . I have read there may be some network shifting this season ? Don't know about this . Anybody have anything worthy to chip in on which service may carry more games ? Thanks I advance . Getting ready ..........

It's the same as last year. For streaming, you need to get a service (YouTubeTV, Sling, Hulu, etc) that carries FS1 and BTN in addition to FOX/CBS/NBC (though alternatively you could use an antennae for those). Otherwise, the other thing is some games might appear on Peacock (definitely basketball will) and you would need to purchase that.

It's the same as last year. For streaming, you need to get a service (YouTubeTV, Sling, Hulu, etc) that carries FS1 and BTN in addition to FOX/CBS/NBC (though alternatively you could use an antennae for those). Otherwise, the other thing is some games might appear on Peacock (definitely basketball will) and you would need to purchase that.
I remember complaining about cable. Now, it takes more work and costs more than cable.

I remember complaining about cable. Now, it takes more work and costs more than cable.

In the short term it's probably cheaper but that will change once streamers try to become consistently profitable instead of just trying to get customers.

But the fracturing of sports onto different distributers absolutely sucks for sports fans. Now with Netfix dipping their toes into the NFL, I think every streamer has at least some sports property it carries exclusively. College football isn't that bad yet since Peacock and a little on ESPN+ are the only streaming exclusive stuff but it will likely get worse sooner or later.

Baloney. It costs far less and is so easy you can watch on your phone if you are away from home.
Really, how much are you paying for cable? My cable is $50 month and there is a $14 sports package add-on and 12 tv box fee. By comparison, Youtube TV basic is like $73 per month.

Let me refine my point, streaming is no longer significantly cheaper than cable. And it is becoming a pain to find some of these games when they can be on MLB, Apple, or Amazon.

Reactions: doctornick
Really, how much are you paying for cable? My cable is $50 month and there is a $14 sports package add-on and 12 tv box fee. By comparison, Youtube TV basic is like $73 per month.

Let me refine my point, streaming is no longer significantly cheaper than cable. And it is becoming a pain to find some of these games when they can be on MLB, Apple, or Amazon.
ytp;dr

This is all fair but most people already have someone with Netflix Hulu Peacock etc in their home or watch it themselves. I have cable and basically every streaming network. That seems to be normal.

Someday when I'm retired we will figure this stuff out. Right now we are paying an obscene cable bill which also includes a landline (necessary b/c cell service is weak where I live) and email addresses that are tied to a ton of stuff from online bill paying to banking.

It would be a massive pain to switch all that shit up right now- and likely Not worth the savings. My bride likes the Netflix and movie options. I get everything but Peacock.

Comcast will bleed every dime but instead we just don't go out to the movies, and don't watch sports in bars. The resulting "savings" likely are about equivalent....or so I hope.

The retiree me may have the bandwidth. The 59 year old me does not.

• Haha
Reactions: Dynoman
This is all fair but most people already have someone with Netflix Hulu Peacock etc in their home or watch it themselves. I have cable and basically every streaming network. That seems to be normal.
I also have just about all of the streaming packages because the rest of the family doesn't care about sports. Fortunately, half of them are free because they are included with something else that we purchased.

My first world gripe as someone who like to watch multiple games at once is that it is a pain to switch between cable and streaming efficiently.

I also have just about all of the streaming packages because the rest of the family doesn't care about sports. Fortunately, half of them are free because they are included with something else that we purchased.

My first world gripe as someone who like to watch multiple games at once is that it is a pain to switch between cable and streaming efficiently.
I won't lie...that's my biggest frustration. I try to open many and mute the right ones on my laptop while watching other games on TV lol

Last edited:

Agree with that big time. Particularly true for college football because all the games are largely on the same day and flipping between channels is part of the fun. Becomes a much bigger pain when different stuff is on streaming (plus, maybe it is just me, but switching between programs on the same streaming platform is still much slower than swapping channels on cable/satellite).

4th motion to this. I used to set favorites on cable and have essentially every game within 4-6 clicks. Channels memorized to boot.

Reactions: RochLion

$50 a month has to be a rare exception or a temporary promotional rate. My retail rate for cable for one DVR cable box and no premium channel packages was almost $150 after taxes. Yes I could play the stupid games cable companies require, calling in every few months to complain that they raised my rate, and pretending to cancel to get a promotion every year or two. I grew sick and tired of cable companies outdated billing model, gouging existing customers while offering the cheapest rates to new subscribers. I ditched it for Youtube TV and cut my bill in half. It's a steady cost that hasn't changed once, I can watch from anywhere in the USA on any device and cancelling and signing up can be done online in seconds instead of dealing with incompetent phone agents that only exist to try to upsell you and waste your time. Adios cable. They are operating an archaic business model and will die off unless they get with the times.

Youtube TV multiview would be your new best friend. It's awesome for quickly flipping between games, but of course they all have to be on Youtube's channels.

If I'm watching something on 2 different platforms I will cast one from a laptop into a Chromecast on one HDMI port, then have Youtube TV on a different HDMI port. Instead of having to click many times to close YouTube TV and open a different streaming service I can more quickly switch between HDMI inputs with only 1-2 clicks.

Here’s the cost if you want to watch every NFL game this year. Insane.

Cost to watch NFL games​

Table with 4 columns and 7 rows.
ServiceCost per monthMonths neededCost
Peacock$7.991$7.99
Amazon Prime Video$8.995$44.95
Netflix$6.991$6.99
ESPN+$10.991$10.99
YouTube TV with NFL Sunday Ticket ($349)$72.996$786.94
Total$857.86

Here’s the cost if you want to watch every NFL game this year. Insane.

Cost to watch NFL games​

Table with 4 columns and 7 rows.
ServiceCost per monthMonths neededCost
Peacock$7.991$7.99
Amazon Prime Video$8.995$44.95
Netflix$6.991$6.99
ESPN+$10.991$10.99
YouTube TV with NFL Sunday Ticket ($349)$72.996$786.94
Total$857.86
I'd think very few watch every single NFL game for every team. Most passionate fans outside of the die hard gamblers and fantasy football players probably watch nearly all games for their favorite team and add in TNF, MNF, and playoff games. If you live in the same market as your favorite team, that eliminates the need for the biggest cost item, Sunday Ticket and basically cuts this price in half. And as always in the internet era, there are means to stream out of market games for free if you know where to look.

That excellent deal you have is the exception and not the norm. Most pay double that on the cable tv alone. I have saved an enormous amount of money by going to streaming for my cable tv replacement (have used Hulu Live currently and Fubo in the past). We really only use Hulu Live for sports and i could probably only use it for football season and get mlb and nba streaming separately. All our “tv show “ watching occurs on netflix and prime.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT