ADVERTISEMENT

Those going to WV game

christoph

Jul 27, 2001
You may have a just fine game day experience. Having lived there for two years I can tell you that there is a deep seated dislike for Penn State. Being said there is a risk of being subject to untoward comments etc. Many here were too young to remember the old days when we played them regularly, but it was a time that we were very good and they generally lost, hence their disdain.

Just my opinion but taking children would probably not be a good idea.

Maybe others can chime in on what could or should be. But imo this is probably not like any other venue that we might go to.

Not my experience at all. I grew up in southwest Pennsylvania, and my father went to West Virginia. just like any other school, there are some unruly fans making it difficult. It’s much tamer to a Penn State fan than going to Pitt. Almost all of the West Virginia fans that I know have much more respect for Penn State than they do any other school besides their own.

You may have a just fine game day experience. Having lived there for two years I can tell you that there is a deep seated dislike for Penn State. Being said there is a risk of being subject to untoward comments etc. Many here were too young to remember the old days when we played them regularly, but it was a time that we were very good and they generally lost, hence their disdain.

Maybe others can chime in on what could or should be. But imo this is probably not like any other venue that we might go to.
Not directed at WVU here, but you would think unruly fans from any fanbase would have the human decency to dial it back around children. Not always so with the consumption of alcohol, but I would think that most, even if they take a rivalry too far, would decline to do so in front of children. I don't know. Maybe I'm giving humans too much credit in this take.

I live in Pittsburgh, which has a lot of WVU alums, and never have sensed that their fans in general hate PSU; they reserve that for Pitt, as they believe Pitt acts like they are superior to them.

That's hilarious that Pitt would act superior to them.
That's the way that it is; there's a perception that the city slickers from Pittsburgh look at WVU fans as a bunch of country bumpkins.

I attended a Pitt-WVU game at Pitt Stadium back in the 80s, and the Pitt PA Annoucer, Roger Houston, who was the track announcer at the Meadows Race Track, made a joke about a vehicle with a WV plate that read Ee Aye Oh.

Depending on what age we're talking about with regarding children but young children shouldn't really be going to any games. After that, they likely won't see anything worse than they've seen in school, on the internet or on tv

I’ll never understand why fans of one school try to start fights or make unruly comments to fans of another school

1. You’re not playing in the game. You will not affect the outcome of the game

2. The actual players will shake hands and embrace afterwards. Most of them anyway.

Back in the day going to WVU was definitely a snake pit and you’d hear all kinds of stories the week after.

That said, I’m not sure what it’s like now or if the same hatred exists since we haven’t played a lot the past few decades.

Points made well taken. Maybe I’m living in the past. Or maybe it was the mature WVU fans at our game last year in the club section that I had to threaten with getting kicked out if they didn’t keep yelling, yelling, things like F Penn state.

Reactions: psu00
Points made well taken. Maybe I’m living in the past. Or maybe it was the mature WVU fans at our game last year in the club section that I had to threaten with getting kicked out if they didn’t keep yelling, yelling, things like F Penn state.
I feel like yelling F Penn State is kind of expected at a game lol

I have no doubt they have their nut jobs and I fully expect lots of stories after this game too. ;)

I was at the Pitt- WVU game in Morgantown years ago where Pitt upset them and ended a championship game run. I watched a few break the bleachers after the game and fully expected big fights in the parking lot. We quickly left before anything could start.

I have a feeling WVU fans will fit in with Temple and Pitt. (Can’t believe we scheduled Temple in the future after their fans behavior at the Beav a few years ago).

I agree; was at the 1992 game. Any stadium that has a big sign that reads in essence: NO guns, knives, weapons of any kind, or explosives allowed in the stadium.

My worst experiences, by far, have been at Ohio State games in Columbus!

Reactions: mattu12 and dbbp
Yeah - yelling F the team you are playing AT THIER stadium in front of their fans is not what I would expect unless you want to get hit with a piss balloon.

I live in Pittsburgh, which has a lot of WVU alums, and never have sensed that their fans in general hate PSU; they reserve that for Pitt, as they believe Pitt acts like they are superior to them.
They hate PSU, believe me.

Not my experience at all. I grew up in southwest Pennsylvania, and my father went to West Virginia. just like any other school, there are some unruly fans making it difficult. It’s much tamer to a Penn State fan than going to Pitt. Almost all of the West Virginia fans that I know have much more respect for Penn State than they do any other school besides their own.
In days of old when I was young and rarely ever missed an away game, I cannot remember one time I was harassed down there before or after the game. The most ardent fans mostly ignored you but quite a few fans were friendly. After the games you would just hear WVA fans talking about firing coaches and how sick they were of losing to PS.

My worst experiences, by far, have been at Ohio State games in Columbus!
Yeah, OSU is bad. I had a really bad experience at MSU and that was with my daughter. Pretty unacceptable. Some minor stuff at Minnesota like a drunk asshole spilling his beer all over my daughter in the stands but to be fair that could happen at almost any stadium. Plus, Minnesota doesn't really know how to handle success so they were a little carried away.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Yeah - yelling F the team you are playing AT THIER stadium in front of their fans is not what I would expect unless you want to get hit with a piss balloon.
Piss balloons? Every time I read about them, I think I have to try that. But then I never do. Probably because I have no one to throw it at.

Game is at noon. Before and during game should be relatively tame. Don't linger after hours.

In '84 when they beat us for the first time in like forever all their fans rushed the field before the game was over. Joe saw the refs, security, etc had no control of the situation and just said eff this we are headed home. But of course he congratulated Nehlen first as he was always such a class act.

That's the way that it is; there's a perception that the city slickers from Pittsburgh look at WVU fans as a bunch of country bumpkins.

I attended a Pitt-WVU game at Pitt Stadium back in the 80s, and the Pitt PA Annoucer, Roger Houston, who was the track announcer at the Meadows Race Track, made a joke about a vehicle with a WV plate that read Ee Aye Oh.
I attended The Backrard Brawl in maybe 86 or 87 in Oakland w a crew of Pitt fraternity brothers. As a naive PSU guy- they had me approach some WVU fans pregaming in CJ Barneys and ask them "What's a Hoopie?"

I learned pretty quickly but when I explained that I went to PSU and was punked they became friendly. Major Harris ran Pitt into the ground that afternoon and back to CJ Barneys we went for a WVU victory party unlike many I've seen. Great fun- hoping that everyone enjoys and saves hate for Pitt.

FWIW my worst experiences were mostly when I was early 20s so I might've deserved the grief I got:

1) Had a beer dunked on my head at Syracuse after OJ McDuffie returned a punt for a td

2) would've been disemboweled by an unemployed steelworker Wal Mart Pitt fan who me and my girlfriend sat next to in 87 game in Oakland. Her dad had played at Pitt but our seats we separated from the family. Dude went to bathroom and we scrammed just before Pitt returned a Matt Kizner pass for a pick 6 to win 10-0 when it appeared we would score a late td to win. We could see the guy looking around for us....psycho.

3) Wore a PSU hat to the ND pep rally. We had been in Lou Holtzes office and attended ND practice that afternoon. It was my senior year and we were guests of the ND QB Club President who put up with me. At the rally some guy tried to fight me. My old man was a 6'5 235 lb ex Marine. We split before things got weirder....

I had a GREAT time at OSU but was a guest of alums. Went to Hineygate with 3 women friends. Unreal fun. Hang on Sloopy!

Went to game at RU 2 years ago with my wife- who is Rutgers alum- my son and wife's cousin's all RU. I wore a PSU jersey- but was not hassled even once.

If anything- some of our fans- mostly younger drunks- were being bad. I had to politely ask a few to settle down before they would be asked to leave (best case) or eat their teeth (if they kept yapping).

By far the worst treatment ever was losing to Temple at The Linc the game before Saquon broke out. Aggressive and mean from the lines for the porta johns tailgating through start of the game. When the rout was on- Sackenberg Day- it was not worth staying. I was overserved but with a Police Officer. We left and were catcalled all the way to our truck.

I'm liking the tv more and more....

By far the worst treatment ever was losing to Temple at The Linc the game before Saquon broke out. Aggressive and mean from the lines for the porta johns tailgating through start of the game. When the rout was on- Sackenberg Day- it was not worth staying. I was overserved but with a Police Officer. We left and were catcalled all the way to our truck.
I can almost forgive the Temple fans for that one. A lot of pent up frustration there. They’ll likely never get another opportunity. We can thank Sandusky for that loss.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I can almost forgive the Temple fans for that one. A lot of pent up frustration there. They’ll likely never get another opportunity. We can thank Sandusky for that loss.
I live in SEPA- and have many Temple friends and former students. Typically regional players are aplenty on the Owls roster. I root for them- and all Big 5 schools in all sports- except when they play us.

What flipped my switch that day was a beyond hammered young lady who was talking crap on State like a sailor. Eventually I asked her if she knew where her Coach had played football? When I told her that Matt Rhule is a proud Penn Stater and that We root hard for him she just went back to her Ped State rant. Later I'm pretty sure she puked on her seat.

When excitement turns to anger it is off the rails. That day, with blood in the water, we maybe got a sense of how most of our Eastern foes felt when we played them.

I live in SEPA- and have many Temple friends and former students. Typically regional players are aplenty on the Owls roster. I root for them- and all Big 5 schools in all sports- except when they play us.

What flipped my switch that day was a beyond hammered young lady who was talking crap on State like a sailor. Eventually I asked her if she knew where her Coach had played football? When I told her that Matt Rhule is a proud Penn Stater and that We root hard for him she just went back to her Ped State rant. Later I'm pretty sure she puked on her seat.

When excitement turns to anger it is off the rails. That day, with blood in the water, we maybe got a sense of how most of our Eastern foes felt when we played them.
Had the same type of experience there once as well - Temple Fans next to us just wouldn't let up - instead of it going any further we talked to security and they seat checked them and they were not supposed to even be in our section - bye bye.

My father in law, who told me he got his season tickets when they were $3, and who made away trips to Notre Dame, Alabama, and Miami, once told me THE worst fans he ever encountered were the West Virginia fans. And it went beyond verbal abuse, it got violent and physical such as being stoned on the return to the bus.

My father in law, who told me he got his season tickets when they were $3, and who made away trips to Notre Dame, Alabama, and Miami, once told me THE worst fans he ever encountered were the West Virginia fans. And it went beyond verbal abuse, it got violent and physical such as being stoned on the return to the bus.
Most people are usually pretty chill when they're stoned.

My last experience at WVU was 1992. Had no problems with students/townies. Enjoyed the trip immensely. Favorite part of trip was a obviously a win; others are:

Met a WVU alum while walking around and he took us into stadium down on the field. Quite an experience.

Enjoyed the personal light rail. Great idea. Met a coed on one trip and asked what would happen if someone got frisky -- she explained the 6 panic buttons in arms reach; car doors lock, signal sent to police, car goes directly to police building!

OT: circa 2015 went with niece for her oriental visit. There are not a great deal of motels. Ended up at former Holiday Inn -- you guessed correctly -- ended up in the same room as 1992; go figure.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Depending on what age we're talking about with regarding children but young children shouldn't really be going to any games. After that, they likely won't see anything worse than they've seen in school, on the internet or on tv
Young children shouldn’t be going to any games? What? Where should they be? What age of child u talking about?

Young children shouldn’t be going to any games? What? Where should they be? What age of child u talking about?
Depends on the kid...my kids went for the first time at 12 or 13. You can take young kids if you want but you can't get mad when adults around them, especially college kids, are drinking and swearing. That's part of the game day experience.

If you take a young child take them to a home game against a horrible team where most likely everyone will be mellow.

As for where should they be...likely outside with friends

Depends on the kid...my kids went for the first time at 12 or 13. You can take young kids if you want but you can't get mad when adults around them, especially college kids, are drinking and swearing. That's part of the game day experience.

If you take a young child take them to a home game against a horrible team where most likely everyone will be mellow.

As for where should they be...likely outside with friends
Agree, expect them to maybe hear foul language and such, but no reason they can’t attend games , Christ 12 or 13 to attend a game? lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT